River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

I live in Ohio; and our Governor said they will start  vaccines for age 80 and older next week;  each week you subtract five years; so age 75 would be following week;  I am guessing I should get my first shot mid Feb.  Anyway one of our local pharmacies had a sign up for the vaccine.  They said they will txt me when my slot is open.  I have 24 hrs to get to pharmacy to receive the first shot.  The pharmacy is a mile from my house.  So things are looking good 

• Like 3

I was able to finally schedule mine! I go Tuesday. There really is no plan or guidance. CVS and Walgreens, who contracted with the govt to administer vaccine to long term care facilities, had only administered an abysmal 13% of what they had received, as of a couple of days ago. 
The current plan seems to focus on developing mega sites to administer vaccine, which isn’t plausible, given the need for social distancing, observation time, and number of staff needed.

Multiple smaller sites (physician offices) could manage this much more efficiently. However, many adult medicine offices lack the equipment to store the vaccine, since adults don’t require near the number of vaccines that children do. Vaccine storage, handling, and documentation is a lot of work, and not financially viable for practices who focus on adult medicine.

There are some vaccines being studied that can be stored at room temperature, but the documentation and reporting requirements may still be more than some practices want to take on. 

Robin

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I was able to finally schedule mine! I go Tuesday. There really is no plan or guidance. CVS and Walgreens, who contracted with the govt to administer vaccine to long term care facilities, had only administered an abysmal 13% of what they had received, as of a couple of days ago. 

Congrats! Or maybe I should wait until you actually get it to say "Congrats"? Do you know which one you are getting (I do not but am guessing Moderna). 

I have no clue who will administer mine. We have student health nurses doing testing on our campus. We have 2 nurses on our campus. For some reason, I don't think it will be either. We are a small college campus.

I actually wonder if the National Guard medics should be called in for a drive through vaccination or something.... Our National Guard was called in to do testing for meat packing plants. I have a friend who is a pharmacist who is in the Guard and deals with biohazard material and he was called to do mass testing.

The ball was dropped on distribution. Obviously the experts were not called for advice.

Edited by Coral

Logistics and the paperwork really do appear to be a major problem. In my state there is a coordinated plan coming from Mainz, they also do it centralised, with one phone number - a zero fee call center number - to give appointments. They have extended the hours now till 11pm during the week so more people can be given appointments - they ask you many questions on the phone, so each phone call is quite long, it is not just "You are over 80? Okay, come Wednesday, 3pm". There are mobile teams for the old people's homes. They say those that cannot get to a centre or are not in a care home, but at home due to health problems or being frail, need to wait for the Moderna vaccine which will start from next week.

If you are interested, here is a BBC report comparing efforts in Europe: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55575756

@acwmom good to hear you have got an appointment.

notamermaid

It was only about a week ago we in Ontario were complaining about how little of the doses received had been administered. As of yesterday, sites were out or almost out of vaccine, and now we need to wait for future deliveries to continue. Some are expected Monday, but still nowhere near enough. 

Canada remains last among countries currently immunizing in percent of the population vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

I

Canada remains last among countries currently immunizing in percent of the population vaccinated. 

Yep, and it looks like our age group will have to wait until at least the summer to get a chance for a vaccine.  Oh well, I've lived this long being careful, what's a couple more months.  As long as it goes to the ones who needs it most first, that's the important thing.

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

Congrats! Or maybe I should wait until you actually get it to say "Congrats"? Do you know which one you are getting (I do not but am guessing Moderna). 

I have no clue who will administer mine. We have student health nurses doing testing on our campus. We have 2 nurses on our campus. For some reason, I don't think it will be either. We are a small college campus.

I actually wonder if the National Guard medics should be called in for a drive through vaccination or something.... Our National Guard was called in to do testing for meat packing plants. I have a friend who is a pharmacist who is in the Guard and deals with biohazard material and he was called to do mass testing.

The ball was dropped on distribution. Obviously the experts were not called for advice.

I will be getting the Moderna one. Our health department had no interest in the ultra-cold storage required with the Pfizer. I can’t blame them! I haven’t seen the directives, but with an observation period of 15 minutes (I believe, maybe JP can confirm) drive thru is going to be difficult.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I will be getting the Moderna one. Our health department had no interest in the ultra-cold storage required with the Pfizer. I can’t blame them! I haven’t seen the directives, but with an observation period of 15 minutes (I believe, maybe JP can confirm) drive thru is going to be difficult.

Good point about observation period. Good thing I am not in charge of this! I would think I would know that with the amount of allergy shots I went through.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:39 AM, acwmom said:

The current plan seems to focus on developing mega sites to administer vaccine, which isn’t plausible, given the need for social distancing, observation time, and number of staff needed.

Multiple smaller sites (physician offices) could manage this much more efficiently. However, many adult medicine offices lack the equipment to store the vaccine, since adults don’t require near the number of vaccines that children do. Vaccine storage, handling, and documentation is a lot of work, and not financially viable for practices who focus on adult medicine.

There are some vaccines being studied that can be stored at room temperature, but the documentation and reporting requirements may still be more than some practices want to take on. 

Robin

I have been watching the local news regarding the rollout both in Kentucky and Ohio.  I have a grandson in Louisville, and we live in Cincy suburb;  so glad to see you are getting yours.  Our daughter who is a midwife gets her second shot next week.  Things are looking up

• Like 1

@AF-1 good to hear. Rollout gathering speed here as well. Over 600,000 now done in Germany. Not equal speed in the 16 states, but everyone has managed now a quota of 5 people vaccinated per 1,000 people (Saxony lagging behind but should reach that quota by tomorrow, is not far from it). All figures online available. Call centre was slow here but overall info and transparency good. Logistics should get easier with the Moderna vaccine which is arriving in Germany today.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Hi folks, hope everyone is doing well.  Haven't stopped in for a while. Been quite upset with 

all the activities from last week☹️ and it seems our cases continue to just get worse.

Not sure when I will be eligible for my vaccine.  I am not in the "65 and up group" and I know

those folks are getting it first in my city.  Will continue to keep an eye out for it though.

Hope everyone stays well.

• Like 2

Our son the cop is scheduled for February but said they may move cops even earlier.  We are pleased because it will protect him, but also allow him to visit us more freely and safely.  [The big worry is that he has had reactions to several vaccines in the past, but never anaphylactic shock.]

16 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our son the cop is scheduled for February but said they may move cops even earlier.  We are pleased because it will protect him, but also allow him to visit us more freely and safely.  [The big worry is that he has had reactions to several vaccines in the past, but never anaphylactic shock.]

I also have had bad reactions to vaccines and also have various intolerances.  I was told that when our turn comes (not for a while, we are under the 60 limit) to make sure to inform the administrator, and they can keep an extra eye on me during the observation period.  My nephew is anaphylactic, and will be getting one earlier as he teaches indigenous students, and he has been told to bring his epi-pen.  Hard decision...risk either way, but better to do so under some medical observation than risk harm from contacting Covid. 

I'm figuring that by the time we are scheduled, some of the "bugs" will be worked out.  🙂

So what are people doing with their vaccine card? Do you keep it with your passport, keep it in your wallet, take a picture of it with your phone? My state is not one that keeps tracks electronically of vaccines.

I am embarrassed to say that while I think I got all my vaccines growing up (I know I have as an adult) - I don't have the cute little book that my friends all have.

We have been told we will get the Moderna vaccine anytime in the next 14 days. They submitted a count today. They are also allowing our spouse to get it also. Not sure if this is common or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

We have been told we will get the Moderna vaccine anytime in the next 14 days. They submitted a count today. They are also allowing our spouse to get it also. Not sure if this is common or not.

Makes sense.  Protect both parties to maximize the protective factor.

13 hours ago, Coral said:

So what are people doing with their vaccine card? Do you keep it with your passport, keep it in your wallet, take a picture of it with your phone? My state is not one that keeps tracks electronically of vaccines.

I am embarrassed to say that while I think I got all my vaccines growing up (I know I have as an adult) - I don't have the cute little book that my friends all have.

I believe Apple is going to provide a place in Apple Wallet for it? Which state are you in? I'll take a pic with my phone and save it in my "msecure" app as well.  I thought all states (and many cities) had registries. I can send you a link to yours if you tell me which state.

Robin

3 hours ago, acwmom said:

I believe Apple is going to provide a place in Apple Wallet for it? Which state are you in? I'll take a pic with my phone and save it in my "msecure" app as well.  I thought all states (and many cities) had registries. I can send you a link to yours if you tell me which state.

Robin

Nebraska..... Thanks for info on Apple Wallet. Oddly - I should know this..... I am in IT and support Apple products. I was off for 3 weeks and did not check my Apple news during this time.

I hope you got your shot today!

Just did a search and looks like info came through on Dec 28th for LA residents, need to do more research: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/28/covid-19-vaccination-proof-can-be-added-to-apple-wallet-in-los-angeles/  

Edited by Coral

53 minutes ago, Coral said:

Nebraska..... Thanks for info on Apple Wallet. Oddly - I should know this..... I am in IT and support Apple products. I was off for 3 weeks and did not check my Apple news during this time.

I hope you got your shot today!

Just did a search and looks like info came through on Dec 28th for LA residents, need to do more research: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/28/covid-19-vaccination-proof-can-be-added-to-apple-wallet-in-los-angeles/  

Here is the link to the Nebraska registry.  

https://nesiis-dhhs-prod.ne.gov/prd_ir/public/clientSearch.do?language=en

Just returned from dose #1. Didn't feel a thing! Will see what tomorrow brings.

IMG_5898.png

• Like 3

Robin – I hid your post because the CDC card shows your full name.  I know that your first name has already been used on Cruise Critic, but I don't believe your last name has been revealed before.  If you are not worried about it, I will unhide.

BTW – congrats on getting your vaccine!  And I hope that you continue to feel no side-effects.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acwmom said:

Robin

I found my vaccination history under my state!!!! It starts in 1999 so it doesn't go that far back.

Though I have to say it is not accurate. There are things it says "recommended now" that I know I have had. Oh well - I have made progress.

Edited by Coral

12 minutes ago, Coral said:

I found my vaccination history under my state!!!! It starts in 1999 so it doesn't go that far back.

Though I have to say it is not accurate. There are things it says "recommended now" that I know I have had. Oh well - I have made progress.

KY changed their registry several years back. When the new one went into effect, nothing was transferred. They also didn't provide a way for offices to send a flat file to populate patient data. So, nothing prior to that go-live date is in there. 

• Like 1