PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

I was surprised when I went to the grocery store the other day. Lots (LOTS!) of people and I think I saw maybe 5 masks. (The checkers did have masks but the shoppers didn't.) The aisles have huge red arrows that say ONE WAY so you don't have to pass others going the other way when shopping. It seems I was one of the very few who actually paid attention to the arrows. Yes, if I didn't want a particular aisle but wanted the next one I had to go around or go down the aisle I didn't want, etc. but it wasn't really that big a deal. I was just blown away by the fact that pretty much everybody else seemed to just ignore the one way thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I was surprised when I went to the grocery store the other day. Lots (LOTS!) of people and I think I saw maybe 5 masks. (The checkers did have masks but the shoppers didn't.) The aisles have huge red arrows that say ONE WAY so you don't have to pass others going the other way when shopping. It seems I was one of the very few who actually paid attention to the arrows. Yes, if I didn't want a particular aisle but wanted the next one I had to go around or go down the aisle I didn't want, etc. but it wasn't really that big a deal. I was just blown away by the fact that pretty much everybody else seemed to just ignore the one way thing.

Yes.  I am also amazed at all those maskless people who KNOW that they aren't carrying the virus and insist on their right to infect anyone else around them. Six foot space?  Who me???  I don't have the virus and I'm not going to get it!

So I can come as close to you as I want.  It's my right and entitlement!  Now where is the nearest demonstration I can attend?

Could this be why we have a pandemic?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I was surprised when I went to the grocery store the other day. Lots (LOTS!) of people and I think I saw maybe 5 masks. (The checkers did have masks but the shoppers didn't.) 

In Los Angeles County a person cannot enter any store without a mask, and that has resulted in some jerks assaulting security guards when they are denied entry.  In some cities, such as Beverly Hills, masks are required any time a person is outdoors, even when walking their dog on a deserted street.

8 minutes ago, Norcalcouple said:

In Los Angeles County a person cannot enter any store without a mask, and that has resulted in some jerks assaulting security guards when they are denied entry.  In some cities, such as Beverly Hills, masks are required any time a person is outdoors, even when walking their dog on a deserted street.

I think one of the "problems" here is that the county has only had 20 confirmed cases and only 1 is in the hospital. We jumped up to 20 from 18 yesterday. There is a couple who have a small market in the next county who seem to have contracted it there but live here so they go into our statistics. People feel complacent due to the relative lack of incidence here. To me, that lack of incidence shows that following the guidelines has worked so far and to blatantly stop doing so now is likely not a wise move at all.

• Like 4

My husband is our designated errand runner/provisioner. He recently retired after nearly 40 years in the fire service, starting as an Explorer when he was a teen. He says he was far more comfortable in burning buildings and Haz-Mat scenes than he is shopping these days. In a fire or Haz Mat scene, everyone followed strict safety protocols. They were as concerned for the safety of others as for their own.  Only those who needed to entered the Hot Zone.

With logic, education, safety equipment, and people who use all those things wisely, we could all be as safe as Hubby and his colleagues. The situation would still be dangerous, but people wouldn't be making it more so. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrak said:

To me, that lack of incidence shows that following the guidelines has worked so far and to blatantly stop doing so now is likely not a wise move at all.

You're right, Thrak. In California, we have over 12% of the population of the USA. As of yesterday, we had less than 3.4% of the USA's COVID-19 deaths; seven states have more deaths. Implementing the guidelines early kept our numbers down, though it still seems we were st least one week late. Opening up too soon will make the numbers rise. I'm glad that some of the decision making is being shifted to local jurisdictions, however. One size does not fit all. 

• Like 2

In Valley County, Idaho, two confirmed cases and zero deaths, with the latest reporting back on March 22nd.  Either we are very fortunate or they have not done any testing here.

Remembering back now to May 13, 2019.

Breakfast in the Michaelangelo dining room and then head back to get ready to visit Juneau.  When we got to our suite, they had two Princess balloons and a lovely poster commemorating our 25th wedding anniversary.

Juneau was warm, ending up in the high seventies with a lot of sunshine.  The old coastal town feel of the architecture, almost a trip back in time, was delightful.  We hit some of the shops including the Alaska Trading Post and the Alaska Fudge Company.  We stuck to just walking tours rather than excursions.  I had never been in Alaska before, so wanted to be feet to the ground in the directions I wanted to go.  I got plenty of pictures to include Red Dog Saloon as well as the mercantile and the Taku Fisheries.  Also had to get pictures of the Juneau signs.  Typical touristy things but fun.

We would leave port late while it was dark, so the evening was rounded out with standing on our balcony sometimes and sometimes the promenade deck just admiring the lights of the other ships there and the town of Juneau itself.

• Like 2

To Thrak and others posting here from California. 

I think your Governor is making good decisions concerning controlling the spread of the virus from what I get from the news. 

Our county in LI,NY is still seeing significant reported cases and deaths due to Covid-19. But, parts of the state have very low counts and are meeting the CDC guidelines for opening.

Gov. Cuomo has been very pragmatic in making decisions during this health crisis. His decisions have been data driven which should be the only criteria IMO.

It will be interesting to see statistics regarding Covid-19 from those states who have chosen to be open.  Probably reports in two weeks will show the effects of those states’ decisions.

It is our understanding that actions taken to mitigate the spread of the virus has caused a downward turn in the spread of it. We are doing our part to stay safe and stop the spread. We have seen others who are either careless or cavalier in their actions when out in the public.

Stay well,stay safe !

• Like 2

Remembering back to May 14, 2019.

Breakfast in the buffet and then off to explore Skagway on foot.

The shops and the totems such interesting places to check out.  Lots of art shops and novelty shops, but when it was time to take a break, I went to the park where they had the trains for the White Pass rail line.  I have always loved trains and it was fun to see those on display as well as actually seeing the trains departing from the White Pass station.

It seemed sooner that we had to be back on board, so we made it back with a half an hour to spare.  The painted signs in the rocks were fascinating to look at from our balcony before we headed out.

Salty Dog Grill for dinner and of course, my mocha milk shake as well!

We were beginning to make some friends of the regulars in the Speak Easy and spent some time visiting them before it was time to call it a night.

We now have 22 cases in this county. In terms of age, four of the individuals diagnosed with the virus were 65 or older, six were between the ages of 50-64, eleven were between 18-19 and one was 17 or under. 12 of the 22 are young people. You know, the ones that seem to still be having parties... Gotta love the "young and bulletproof" crowd. 🙄

• Thanks 1

Looking back to May 15, 2019.  Glacier Bay National Park.

It was quite foggy going in and coming back out, giving it a very mysterious other worldly feel, but the glaciers were spectacular as were the bits of floating snow covered ice that housed adorable seals.  We did not go up to the top deck as it was very cold and I was glad I had my coat with me.  We stood on the promenade deck and I was awed not only by the glaciers but by the water which seemed like a coating of glass, a mysterious color of bluish gray, absolutely smooth and reflective.

It seemed like a completely different location than the planet Earth I had always known.  The atmosphere was close and cozy despite the chill in the air.  It almost felt science fiction in nature, an uncharted world unto itself.

We eventually wandered up to the Lido so I could get my usual mocha milk shake but would discover that it would be provided in two paper New Grounds cups due to not being able to serve anything in plastic.  No problem for me!  Happy to help.  Let not this amazing wonder land be disturbed by plastic.

Sigh... Another case here in Butte County and possibly more to come. A local church (the health department is refusing to name the church) violated the quarantine and had 180 people at a Mother's Day service. The very next day one of those people was diagnosed as positive. Obviously they must have been tested prior to the service but went anyway. Now the health department is attempting to contact all 180 people who attended the illicit service. Of course all of those folks have since interacted with many others. I don't get it. GAH!!!

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Sigh... Another case here in Butte County and possibly more to come. A local church (the health department is refusing to name the church) violated the quarantine and had 180 people at a Mother's Day service. The very next day one of those people was diagnosed as positive. Obviously they must have been tested prior to the service but went anyway. Now the health department is attempting to contact all 180 people who attended the illicit service. Of course all of those folks have since interacted with many others. I don't get it. GAH!!!

That's a shame now who knows how many are infected. Keep the stupid up we will never get out of Quarentine! Stay home if you do not have to go out!

Edited by Reader0108598

Today was the day they opened up salons, spas, tattoo parlors, gymnasiums and indoor dining here plus camp grounds (certain ones).  The camp grounds do not have the public bathrooms open, but they have the portable toilets available.  It concerns me because our daily case rate for the state is not going down and on some days is even going up just a little.

One year ago, May 16, 2019, Ketchikan was our port stop for the day.  This would be a shorter stop than Juneau and Skagway, and it was cold, windy and raining.  I did not know when I would get another chance to put feet on the ground, so we went anyway.

We waited for the free shuttle bus and went into the main part of Ketchikan.  There was a salmon shop hubby wanted to go to to get salmon for his Dad and brother.  The place was pretty packed, but eventually we were able to get some as well as browse a few of the shops, including a book store where we found something for his grand-son.

The shuttle returning to the ship was overly packed.  We were sitting on a sideways seat behind the driver and there were so many people that someone ended up sitting on me and someone else had their hand over mine as I held onto the bar.  Hubby was able to see the scenery but I could not because there were too many people standing in front of me.

After we got back to the ship, I headed right to International Cafe to get a latte to warm me up.

We also went to Calypso Cove to pick up some cough drops as the weather made hubby feel a bit off with a sore throat.

After dinner, I took a hot soak and snuggled up in my Princess robe while he watched a movie.  I do not even remember seeing the rest of the movie and I believe I was asleep before 9:00 p.m.

• Like 1

Getting back on topic … an almost near pre-covid 19 normal Sunday ...

We are very fortunate, and have a lot to be thankful for … I went to our local ( Publix ) this morning - got wine and beer, of course, but also got a turkey breast, and all the fixin's to have a Thanksgiving meal sometime this week 

then watched some Law and Order reruns, while doing some cleanup in the home office ...

now watching NASCAR actually LIVE from Darlington SC ...

Gyms open here tomorrow, so I'll … just kidding about that I'll thingy - but good for them

stay safe

peace out 

Sorry I have been off topic.  My coping mechanism this week of my wedding anniversary (26 years) was relaying the biggest anniversary event day by day in retrospect, but I shall stop.

My only place I am safe wandering is our property and it has been raining for days now and will continue to do so for the next week.  I know we have to make another trip to the store soon and I think I might send hubby by himself.  The things I consume are pretty much stocked up.

The Idaho Coronavirus site does not update on Sundays.  I am wondering how many new cases there will be tomorrow.

😬

Stay safe, all!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

Sorry I have been off topic.  My coping mechanism this week of my wedding anniversary (26 years) was relaying the biggest anniversary event day by day in retrospect, but I shall stop.

My only place I am safe wandering is our property and it has been raining for days now and will continue to do so for the next week.  I know we have to make another trip to the store soon and I think I might send hubby by himself.  The things I consume are pretty much stocked up.

The Idaho Coronavirus site does not update on Sundays.  I am wondering how many new cases there will be tomorrow.

😬

Stay safe, all!

Happy Anniversary!! 🙂 We celebrate our 40th on the 26th! Supposed to be on a cruise...oh well 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Happy Anniversary!! 🙂 We celebrate our 40th on the 26th! Supposed to be on a cruise...oh well 🙂

Happy anniversary!  Hope you can have a wonderful time given these times we are in.

🥂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 9:39 AM, Thrak said:

We now have 22 cases in this county. In terms of age, four of the individuals diagnosed with the virus were 65 or older, six were between the ages of 50-64, eleven were between 18-19 and one was 17 or under. 12 of the 22 are young people. You know, the ones that seem to still be having parties... Gotta love the "young and bulletproof" crowd. 🙄

I’m in my 60’s but live in a city with a majority being a younger demographic. It’s rare to see anyone with a mask even though our city has one of the highest confirmed cases in our County. Go figure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, helencruising said:

I’m in my 60’s but live in a city with a majority being a younger demographic. It’s rare to see anyone with a mask even though our city has one of the highest confirmed cases in our County. Go figure. 

Totally agree.  Everyone has heard the phrase 'old and wise'.   But few realize that there is a corrolary to that.  It is, 'young and dumb'.  When you're young and dumb you think you are invincable and nothing can ever happen to you.

So you do many stupid things.  As you age ( if you live through the y&d stage) you learn along the way and generally lead a more conservative (and safer) lifestyle finally reaching the 'old and wise' stage.

Yes, there are exceptions, but I think in general this is true.  At 71, and after many 'y&d' close calls I've learned much.

I'm certainly not going to return to the 'y&d' mode from here on!  Life is too precious.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Totally agree.  Everyone has heard the phrase 'old and wise'.   But few realize that there is a corrolary to that.  It is, 'young and dumb'.  When you're young and dumb you think you are invincable and nothing can ever happen to you.

So you do many stupid things.  As you age ( if you live through the y&d stage) you learn along the way and generally lead a more conservative (and safer) lifestyle finally reaching the 'old and wise' stage.

Yes, there are exceptions, but I think in general this is true.  At 71, and after many 'y&d' close calls I've learned much.

I'm certainly not going to return to the 'y&d' mode from here on!  Life is too precious.

I am in my sixties hubby seventies. Let's face it i knew everything when I was a kid you could not tell me anything! Just like the kids now. Cannot fault them we did the same thing! Life is precious but you only learn that as you age and loose those close to you!

Edited by Reader0108598

It seems the opposite here. The high school and college kids are the ones being responsible and begging others to do the same. The 35-60 crowd are the ones "protesting" on the weekends, some dragging their poor kids out with them, without masks, of course.The over 60 folks have been the "Faith over Fear" crowd, many refusing from the start to follow the directives. Count my dad's golfing buddies among those.

I'm aligning with the high school and college kids. Granted, I'm hearing mostly from my 18-25 year old kids' friends, and they're a pretty level-headed bunch (most of the time). And the several hundred "protestors" on the weekends are not at all representative of the demographics of our very diverse city of 180,000.

I'm quite confident there are knuckleheads and wise ones in every age range.

• Like 1