PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

15 hours ago, bigenna said:

Wow - life where you are seems so normal!  We are in severe restrictions- no social gatherings at all, whether in someone’s home, a restaurant, even outdoors.  We are to stick to our own household only.  It will be a pretty lonely Christmas and New Years for families in B.C.  

We have been through very similar restrictions with boarder restrictions between states. I think 🤔 all boarders to each state are now open. Restrictions are being eased all the time as in Qld as far as I’m aware we have no community transmitted COVID-19 cases. Victoria have been under the longest restrictions but have got on top of COVID, there restrictions have been eased as well. We still need to be COVID safe.

According to the nightly news, all eyes are on NSW as they’ve had some cases diagnosed over the last few days. Lots of people lining up to get tested.

I do understand how many would be feeling, as I know for myself I hadn’t seen my parents for 5 months. In the early days we even couldn’t go far from our homes 😢.

14 hours ago, memoak said:

Please everyone be careful over 3,000 people a day are dying in the US because of COVID. Florida is still seeing over 9,000 cases a day and a positivity rate of over 9 %

That is terrible reading this 😢. My thoughts are with you all.

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Hi, All!

I know I am behind and I promised project pictures for the few who are interested, but I'm swamped!

I just wanted to quickly come here and share my joy that my cousin's 9 year-old son got his pick line removed today and got to ring the bell to celebrate the end of 9 months of chemo and radiation! I'm so happy for him and the whole family!

The latest scans show a slight irregularity, but the doctors think it's scar tissue, not more or residual cancer. He will have more scans in February, and if the irregularity has not grown, he will be considered out of the woods. It has been a heck of a rough time for the family, and I am so glad that this chapter seems to be just about over.

IMG_2913.PNG

I’m so happy for him as well as his support network. After watching my Mum and 2 of my friends go through chemo was not nice at all, but seeing them meet milestones like ringing that 🔔 you can see hope for them all.

I wish him all the very best for a bright future .... enjoy the holidays.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Less than good family news. My aunt died last week and then my cousin's husband died two days ago. Her mother one week and her husband the next week. Ho, ho, ho... Merry Christmas. Bleh.

Geez Thrak. I am so sorry. That is overload for anyone. Warm thoughts for you

and your family.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Loki S said:

We have been through very similar restrictions with boarder restrictions between states. I think 🤔 all boarders to each state are now open. Restrictions are being eased all the time as in Qld as far as I’m aware we have no community transmitted COVID-19 cases. Victoria have been under the longest restrictions but have got on top of COVID, there restrictions have been eased as well. We still need to be COVID safe.

According to the nightly news, all eyes are on NSW as they’ve had some cases diagnosed over the last few days. Lots of people lining up to get tested.

I do understand how many would be feeling, as I know for myself I hadn’t seen my parents for 5 months. In the early days we even couldn’t go far from our homes 😢.

Yes if we had clamped down early we might have been having a better Christmas this year.  As it is, no gatherings with anyone anywhere - stick to own household only.

Enjoy the season and hopefully things will be changing for Canada and the US by fall 2021.

For those of you who are fans of The Love Boat here is a pic of Gavin MacLeod in an earlier role (1970) as the character Moriarity in the movie Kelly's Heroes. He definitely looks a bit different from his role as Captain Stubing.

Kelly's Heroes (1970)

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

As we are all one big community, we collectively thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on the cruise line forums so our members can have a place to socialize during these times of social distancing or "stay in Place' that we are all doing.  

Cruise Critic is indeed a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another.

Please let's show respect and kindness to each other and please let's keep political comments off of this no matter where we live in this world. Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know personally that it would be wonderful to know how everyone is doing on these boards that I have talked to, met or simply read your post over these 17 years that I have been a member.

Warm regards to every member on this board!

33 inches of snow over night.  HO HO HO

I’m sorry for your loss, Thrak. May their memories be a blessing. 

Regarding the Love Boat cast, I noticed Bernie Koppel (sp?) who played Doc as a character on the new show B Positive. I’ve only  seen a couple of episodes, but my brother was a multiple organ and tissue donor, so I thought I would give the show a shot. Tomorrow is the anniversary of his death. Maybe I’ll watch another episode (the show involves a potential living kidney donor). 

Here are a few pictures of wall stickers in my kids’ rooms, all cut with the Cricut. I may have mentioned before 😉 that my kids are musicians. 

The last picture is a shirt I made for my younger brother today. It took seven hours from beginning to design to final pressing. He’d better like it, or at least lie convincingly while telling me he likes it. You sports fans may notice that all but one of the “teams” is from SoCal. For decades, we didn’t have an NFL team in our area, so Little Bro became a fan of what’s now called the Washington Football Team because it was the closest team to our big brother’s grave at Arlington National Cemetery. 

9D6FB43B-FA7C-4EA1-BFE1-A4C5BB4E5CE7.jpeg

4354576C-7330-4EC6-9607-1C8E3F14BEAD.jpeg

BB69A217-28A9-406C-927A-68D82C3A5385.jpeg

965686B9-E2E7-48C9-B81D-9ED293858E2D.jpeg

DD9C79BF-1A1A-4B2C-B915-2E04DF245013.jpeg

• Like 3

At my son’s school today, staff are wearing their “most fun holiday attire that isn’t a sweater.” 

He wore his Santa Aloha shirt, a Christmas bow tie (he wears a bow tie to work every day) a mask I made him, and antlers. 

He sent this morning with caption about definitely not being over the top. 

He makes me smile. 

F92A8306-E082-4381-8DFA-777CF1FF0E8B.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I’m sorry for your loss, Thrak. May their memories be a blessing. 

Regarding the Love Boat cast, I noticed Bernie Koppel (sp?) who played Doc as a character on the new show B Positive. I’ve only  seen a couple of episodes, but my brother was a multiple organ and tissue donor, so I thought I would give the show a shot. Tomorrow is the anniversary of his death. Maybe I’ll watch another episode (the show involves a potential living kidney donor). 

I've been watching B Positive but didn't even notice Bernie Koppel!!  dh walked into the room and said "that's Linda Lavin"  Didn't notice til he said her name but then I recognized her voice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Here are a few pictures of wall stickers in my kids’ rooms, all cut with the Cricut. I may have mentioned before 😉 that my kids are musicians. 

The last picture is a shirt I made for my younger brother today. It took seven hours from beginning to design to final pressing. He’d better like it, or at least lie convincingly while telling me he likes it. You sports fans may notice that all but one of the “teams” is from SoCal. For decades, we didn’t have an NFL team in our area, so Little Bro became a fan of what’s now called the Washington Football Team because it was the closest team to our big brother’s grave at Arlington National Cemetery. 

9D6FB43B-FA7C-4EA1-BFE1-A4C5BB4E5CE7.jpeg

4354576C-7330-4EC6-9607-1C8E3F14BEAD.jpeg

BB69A217-28A9-406C-927A-68D82C3A5385.jpeg

965686B9-E2E7-48C9-B81D-9ED293858E2D.jpeg

DD9C79BF-1A1A-4B2C-B915-2E04DF245013.jpeg

They all look great!  I made grandparent shirts for my folks for Christmas and other items. I'm enjoying my machine and also enjoying sewing again.

How do you import images to Cricut? I've tried several, but they are blank when I try to use them. And did you use permanent or removable vinyl for the wall decals? I want to do that in my craft room, but not if it will damage the paint.

8 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

They all look great!  I made grandparent shirts for my folks for Christmas and other items. I'm enjoying my machine and also enjoying sewing again.

How do you import images to Cricut? I've tried several, but they are blank when I try to use them. And did you use permanent or removable vinyl for the wall decals? I want to do that in my craft room, but not if it will damage the paint.

This is DEFINITELY going to be a "scroll on past" post for the vast, vast majority of you!

Thanks. The wall stickers are removable vinyl. I use Oracal for both permanent and removable. I do not like Cricut vinyl. It does't weed easily, and the adhesion isn't as good. I use contact paper for transfer. The Duck brand from discount stores is my favorite. 

To import images, first make sure they are in one of these formats: .png, ,jpg, .gif, .svg, .dxf, or .bmp. While in Canvas, click on the upload icon in the bottom left. That will open a page with options to upload either an image or a pattern. Select "Upload Image" and you'll get a page that says "Drag and drop file here or" (Browse) button. Then, drag and drop, or browse where you saved the desired file on your computer. Select the image you want and click Open. The image will load on a screen giving the option to select the complexity of your image, and click Continue. New page: click, crop, or erase any thing you don't want, then click Continue. Select whether you want to upload it as a print or cut image, and click Save. That will put the image in "My images." Select it, click Insert Images, and the image will appear on your canvas. 

I just googled it and there are a number of articles and videos explaining how to do it, in case my directions aren't clear, or don't work with your machine. There are oodles of tips and tricks and instructional videos on YouTube. I watched quite a few before finally breaking down and buying my Cricut in January. Jennifer Maker has especially good, concise videos. 

I'm about to design a shirt for my dad. the idea I have is outline maps of the states his grandkids live in, with the names of the kids inside the state in which they live. I have no idea if it will look good. If not, it certainly won't be the first or last idea I have discarded. 

Happy crafting!

On 12/17/2020 at 2:00 PM, Thrak said:

Less than good family news. My aunt died last week and then my cousin's husband died two days ago. Her mother one week and her husband the next week. Ho, ho, ho... Merry Christmas. Bleh.

Thrak, I’m sorry for your loss. 
Tony

On 12/18/2020 at 9:09 PM, MamaFej said:

This is DEFINITELY going to be a "scroll on past" post for the vast, vast majority of you!

To import images, first make sure they are in one of these formats: .png, ,jpg, .gif, .svg, .dxf, or .bmp. While in Canvas, click on the upload icon in the bottom left. That will open a page with options to upload either an image or a pattern. Select "Upload Image" and you'll get a page that says "Drag and drop file here or" (Browse) button. Then, drag and drop, or browse where you saved the desired file on your computer. Select the image you want and click Open. The image will load on a screen giving the option to select the complexity of your image, and click Continue. New page: click, crop, or erase any thing you don't want, then click Continue. Select whether you want to upload it as a print or cut image, and click Save. That will put the image in "My images." Select it, click Insert Images, and the image will appear on your canvas. 

Happy crafting!

Have you tried any of the Siser vinyl? I've used some and it works pretty easy too. I find any brand is hit and miss as to what weeds easily and what does. Foils have been the most difficult. I also tried some Hobby Lobby brand. I have a cousin that cuts vinyl too and she swears by heattransfersource.com. I haven't tried them yet.

I tried your instructions and can get through the uploading as print or cut and it won't let me save as a cut. Off to watch videos.

I looked at Silhouette's site. They have lots of cool fonts. I need to figure out how to acquire them and if they'll work with Cricut. 

2 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Have you tried any of the Siser vinyl? I've used some and it works pretty easy too. I find any brand is hit and miss as to what weeds easily and what does. Foils have been the most difficult. I also tried some Hobby Lobby brand. I have a cousin that cuts vinyl too and she swears by heattransfersource.com. I haven't tried them yet.

I tried your instructions and can get through the uploading as print or cut and it won't let me save as a cut. Off to watch videos.

I looked at Silhouette's site. They have lots of cool fonts. I need to figure out how to acquire them and if they'll work with Cricut. 

In my experience, stuff from the Silhouette site works fine in CDS, as long as I get .SVG files. I do use Siser HTV. I haven't tried their adhesive vinyls. I've gotten lots of multi-color vinyls bundles on Amazon, relying on reviews. The shirt I showed above probably has at least four brands of vinyl. I've done lots with glitter HTV as well (My daughter is president of her sorority, and I've designed and cut quite a lot for those young women). 

I hope you can find a good video. I think you might find Jennifer Maker's videos helpful. 

On 12/18/2020 at 8:09 PM, MamaFej said:

Thanks. The wall stickers are removable vinyl. I use Oracal for both permanent and removable. I do not like Cricut vinyl. It does't weed easily, and the adhesion isn't as good. I use contact paper for transfer. The Duck brand from discount stores is my favorite. 

I just googled it and there are a number of articles and videos explaining how to do it, in case my directions aren't clear, or don't work with your machine. There are oodles of tips and tricks and instructional videos on YouTube. I watched quite a few before finally breaking down and buying my Cricut in January. Jennifer Maker has especially good, concise videos.

I'm about to design a shirt for my dad. the idea I have is outline maps of the states his grandkids live in, with the names of the kids inside the state in which they live. I have no idea if it will look good. If not, it certainly won't be the first or last idea I have discarded. 

Happy crafting!

I am just now getting back on the Princess boards after being away for most of the year (too depressing since I can't go anywhere) and the first thread I read I see you talking about my favorite tool - Cricut!!! I just wanted to say that I agree with you about Oracal being so much easier to weed than Cricut brand! I just finished making gifts for my daughter to give out at her theater and used both brands. The Cricut brand took forever to weed but the Oracal weeded in a snap! 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 7:29 AM, voljeep said:

what model of Cricut do you ( or anyone else ) use - I'm sure my wife would like one, but I don't have a clue which one or what they do

she did make some 'special' "pillow sheets" ( what our oldest son use to call them ) for our grandkids on her sewing machine

I have the Maker and the Explore but I find that I use my Maker all of the time now. It's a bit more powerful and will cut more types of materials. 

@PurpleHays, this video might be helpful for you: SVGs Made Simple 2 . It's part of a Jennifer Maker Series about finding, downloading, uploading, and using SVG files on Cricut and other cutting machines. She goes over how to work with a variety of devices and browsers.

This video: SVGs Made Simple 1 is about how to find and download SVGs. 

She tends to have long introductions, but there are good title cards, so it's easy to drag through the progress bar and stop when you see what you want in the thumbnail.

Welcome back, @From Air to Sea!

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

@PurpleHays, this video might be helpful for you: SVGs Made Simple 2 . It's part of a Jennifer Maker Series about finding, downloading, uploading, and using SVG files on Cricut and other cutting machines. She goes over how to work with a variety of devices and browsers.

This video: SVGs Made Simple 1 is about how to find and download SVGs. 

She tends to have long introductions, but there are good title cards, so it's easy to drag through the progress bar and stop when you see what you want in the thumbnail.

Welcome back, @From Air to Sea!

I have it bookmarked. I will watch it a bit later. Thanks!

I made several projects today. I made matching pouches for my daughters that said "sisters make the perfect best friend" and a black sunflower outline on a yellow tshirt for a coworker that is leaving. Both sets are in my personal favorite: glitter. I prefer working with iron-on. I think it weeds easier. I was working with shimmer and regular vinyl and had to stop because I was struggling with weeding. Maybe it's just the small scale I was working in.

20201220_161759.jpg

20201220_161707.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
Add photos
  • Like 2

To change the subject 🥳- how have you all been managing the usual Christmas shopping and gift giving in this very unusual year.?

We have no little ones so we have talked things over with our adult kids and all decided that since we are confined to our own households we will have a Christmas in (hopefully) the early spring.  
We still have the house decorated and will cook a small dinner and contact by some form of video chat.