Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

We live in Texas which is a hot spot, especially in the southwest which is far from us. People around the DFW area where we live seem to be very compliant with the mask mandate. I am surprised and thankful. Our daughter is an elementary school principal and has had some minor issues at her school. My granddaughter's junior high has reverted to all virtual learning. 

We usually spend Feb. and March in San Miguel de Allende Mexico but won't be going this year. Our next cruise is on the books for October 2021. Certainly hope we'll be in a better place by then--not so much for the cruise but for the good of the world!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Safety Squirrel said:

Yes the businesses are complying with masks for employees.  Most businesses, banks, public offices, doctors' offices etc. also have shields between the customer and staff member.  I can see the shields becoming a fixture when/if the pandemic is over.  

Masks are mandatory and the owner would be fined or even shut down if masks are not worn.  Several have been fined/closed down (orange code) before the red code was announced this week.

Example - when grocery shopping - besides staying six feet apart (they have arrows/X's on the floor) before you can put your groceries on the belt -- you must wait until the cashier disinfects the entire belt.  You must bag your own groceries.  The cashier is behind  a shield with a mask on.  When paying, they prefer credit/debit.  If possible - touch screen.  If not - the debit/credit machine has a plastic cover which is disinfected between each customer.  

Most businesses, banks etc. have hand sanitizer at the entrance to use (although I am sure there are those who do not use it!).  Like the U.S. - there are those who think that is just a hoax etc.  The majority of grocery stores have an employee disinfecting the carts before you take one.

My son who is in the hospitality industry joked that he could probably disinfect the tables, etc. with pure vodka cheaper than sanitizer.  The price for sanitizer (and masks) has increased significantly at  the wholesalers of industrial supplies.  They are now shopping at Costco and find the price significantly less.

My oldest son & DIL have owned a condo in Kissimmee since 2008 but unfortunately we won't be going there for quite awhile.  A couple of my friends have texted, etc. saying "isn't this about the time you leave for Florida and/or cruises??"  So I can only wish it will be sometime in the future -- as I look out the window and see the snow falling.

As an aside, beside cruising, we cancelled our land trip to Europe in May; rescheduled to September and we all know how that went!!  With cases in Europe, Canada, USA and other countries around the world, I cannot see travelling in the near future.  One can only hope.

Again -- keep safe everyone.  

Everything you say applies to the situation in Ottawa. The only thing I'd add about grocery and many other stores is that the isles are now one way. I rather like this approach and wouldn't mind seeing it continue when the measure is no longer required because of COVID.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Everything you say applies to the situation in Ottawa. The only thing I'd add about grocery and many other stores is that the isles are now one way. I rather like this approach and wouldn't mind seeing it continue when the measure is no longer required because of COVID.

So, we, in most of the province of Quebec are experiencing all what was mentioned by Safety Squirrel in Manitoba and by Fouremco in Ottawa.

In the greater Montreal area, we’ve been in a red zone for a first period of 24 days, already extended for a second period due to end  Nov. 23..... and I am expecting for that period to be further extended...

Closed are restaurants, bars, gyms, theatres, museums etc. Masks required everywhere and stores enforce the rules, including the the requirements for masks, use of hand sanitizers, one way aisles, where possible, different ways in and out, social distancing with markers on the ground.

Kids grade 5 and above are required to wear masks in schools and school grounds all day, and also in school buses.  Secondary 3 to 5 kids have one day out of two of schooling on line.

At home,  gatherings are not authorized...at all. We are required to stay within our bubble. As per the rules, my wife and I, are not supposed to welcome our adult kids not living with us, in our home.  I have to say that I this one difficult. Each home should stay in their own bubble.

One jewish community organized a wedding including about 100 guests, and fine issued to participants amounted to 230 000$ CDN.

We are expecting our first grandchild to be born within a week. We know that we will not be allowed to see him at the hospital, nor at his home after...as long as we’re in code red. My son will have to go to the hospital with his wife, and will have to stay in the hospital room, with his wife and newborn until ready to return home....

Our hope for Christmas is to be able to have a small gathering for 9 people (our 3 kids, their spouses, my wife and I, plus the newborn)....

It’s already clear that big Holiday gatherings, for example, office Christmas parties will not be allowed. Keeping our fingers crossed that small family gathering will be allowed. 

Unfortunately, some people, including people leaving in smaller or rural communities don’t believe Covid is an issue....Sadly, these regional areas are more significantly impacted during this second wave.

Tough times, really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

C....wow...thanks for sharing all that. It really is a difficult time for everyone. I do wish things were a bit stricter here in the US. The whole masking issue, however, is controversial since such requirements are often deemed as a "violation of one's personal rights".

I find the "violation of one's personal rights" excuse ridiculous. It wearing a seat belt or using a car seat for a child also violating one's rights?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I find the "violation of one's personal rights" excuse ridiculous. It wearing a seat belt or using a car seat for a child also violating one's rights?

Like.

I'd use the "like" icon, but it has disappeared from my CC. I don't know if that was done by CC or if it was the result of updating to Big Sur on my MacBook.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Like.

I'd use the "like" icon, but it has disappeared from my CC. I don't know if that was done by CC or if it was the result of updating to Big Sur on my MacBook.

Disappeared here as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Ah, good to know. As its addition was one of the most popular changes made to CC, I'm surprised that it has been removed. Hopefully just a temporary measure.

I thought it was me being punished by CC.  I've been reported/chastised a few times for being somewhat "fresh" in a few past responses.  While I still want to be "fresh", I am holding my fingers off the send button a bit more frequently.  Happy Friday the 13th!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I thought it was me being punished by CC.  I've been reported/chastised a few times for being somewhat "fresh" in a few past responses.  While I still want to be "fresh", I am holding my fingers off the send button a bit more frequently.  Happy Friday the 13th!!

They're back!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

It wearing a seat belt or using a car seat for a child also violating one's rights?

It's even worse than that since the seatbelt is only protecting those who are with you in the car, whereas the mask is potentially protecting many other people as well that you might come in contact with while in public places, not just you or whomever you happen to be with. I know this is overstating the obvious, but nonetheless people use it as an excuse. It's this mentality of "me, myself and I" as being the center of the universe. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

It's even worse than that since the seatbelt is only protecting those who are with you in the car, whereas the mask is potentially protecting many other people as well that you might come in contact with while in public places, not just you or whomever you happen to be with. I know this is overstating the obvious, but nonetheless people use it as an excuse. It's this mentality of "me, myself and I" as being the center of the universe. 

If I were a Me and Myself and I, I would certainly wear a mask to protect Myself!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Going back two weeks to drag something up for PC censorship?  That's political!

Going back? No, just reading forward. Also interesting that you consider my comment "censorship." But thanks for your feedback. 

Just stumbled onto this thread.  I wish all safe holidays.  I live in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.  It is freaking out of control here.  I can not help but wonder if this is a new mutated strain that is so very contagious.  When this started we saw lots of people in our ED who thought they had COVID but they did not.  We had some cases and it was somewhat overwhelming,  At the beginning we saw so many that were admitted die.  Fast forward to today - people are lined up trying to get into the ED and it seems like almost all of them have COVID.  Many of them are asymptomatic they have come in for another reason and we find it as a side note.  March to October we had 2 RN's contract the virus from community contact.  In the past week we have had 4 RN's come up positive and 2 of them can not be traced to community contact.  (Personally I am under surveillance as I worked closely with one of the RNs who was symptomatic at work but had no fever so he was allowed to work).  Our hot zones are overflowing with these patients and in an effort to keep our ratios manageable, administration has brought in emergency travel nurses. These nurses have worked all over the country including NY at the height of their spike and they are saying that in our area it definitely feels like it is almost as bad as NY was.   The only bright spot in all of this craziness is that we are definitely seeing less deaths in these patients.  I am not saying they are not sick because they are but we are doing everything in our power to keep people of the ventilators whereas in the beginning we were aggressively venting patients.  

I pray cruising starts again because I need a vacation in 2021 so bad.  Every event I have had this year has had to be cancelled because I need to work. Please be safe and washy washy!  

2 hours ago, mmeg29 said:

Just stumbled onto this thread.  I wish all safe holidays.  I live in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.  It is freaking out of control here.  I can not help but wonder if this is a new mutated strain that is so very contagious.  When this started we saw lots of people in our ED who thought they had COVID but they did not.  We had some cases and it was somewhat overwhelming,  At the beginning we saw so many that were admitted die.  Fast forward to today - people are lined up trying to get into the ED and it seems like almost all of them have COVID.  Many of them are asymptomatic they have come in for another reason and we find it as a side note.  March to October we had 2 RN's contract the virus from community contact.  In the past week we have had 4 RN's come up positive and 2 of them can not be traced to community contact.  (Personally I am under surveillance as I worked closely with one of the RNs who was symptomatic at work but had no fever so he was allowed to work).  Our hot zones are overflowing with these patients and in an effort to keep our ratios manageable, administration has brought in emergency travel nurses. These nurses have worked all over the country including NY at the height of their spike and they are saying that in our area it definitely feels like it is almost as bad as NY was.   The only bright spot in all of this craziness is that we are definitely seeing less deaths in these patients.  I am not saying they are not sick because they are but we are doing everything in our power to keep people of the ventilators whereas in the beginning we were aggressively venting patients.  

I pray cruising starts again because I need a vacation in 2021 so bad.  Every event I have had this year has had to be cancelled because I need to work. Please be safe and washy washy!  

Sorry to hear about Ohio.  This surge is happening everywhere.  The healthcare workers will hopefully get access by next month to one of the 2 vaccines now reported to have >90% efficacy. They will be first in line.

Yes there is a more infectious strain of the SARS-COV-2 virus that has spread worldwide - called D614G strain.  But it should be susceptible to these vaccines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201112144040.htm

mmeg29 - I don't think we are seeing a mutated strain of virus, but rather a backsliding population. Too many being too careless. And then there are those who care less. A friend had a local appliance shop send guys out to do annual furnace maintenance. They didn't wear masks. She said nothing, kept her distance from them. But later she got more and more irritated at herself and the company, and went to their store. Spoke to the clerk (who was maskless), got the manager to come out. Also without a mask on. She started by complimenting the work accomplished, and then asked why he wasn't wearing a mask, why he didn't have his employees wearing masks when out in customers' homes. He shrugged, told her it was all a hoax, just another flu, and she should calm down, and no, he nor his employees were going to comply with some silly mask ordinance. All the best to you as you deal daily with the consequences of this kind of ignorance.

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

He shrugged, told her it was all a hoax, just another flu, and she should calm down, and no, he nor his employees were going to comply with some silly mask ordinance.

Truly amazing. I've run into something similar, though not quite as flagrant, in talking to a local store manager. Told me I need to get educated on the science behind masking and then basically hung up on me.