Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

11 hours ago, hcat said:

We love it too!

Worth the ride from Long Island to stay a few days nearby!

Also think Philadelphia is a great city..sorry they have experienced recent unrest

Thanks hcat.  We live pretty far away from the "protests" in certain parts of the city.

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks hcat.  We live pretty far away from the "protests" in certain parts of the city.

Glad  you  are away from the "issues".

We are in a  NYC outer suburb Hopefully,  far away from the insanity!    

Today's issue is driving rain..remnants of ts ZETA...For us just rain..no flooding as those closer to the shore.

Hope everyone stays safe!

Sorry to hear that but I suppose not real surprising. I think something similar should happen in the US but suffice it to say that all hell would break loose. We already have a masking vs. unmasking war going on courtesy of the current administration, who has been promising that the pandemic is "going away very soon"  and also just recently accused our medical profession of inflating the number of deaths blamed on covid because then it "makes more money for them". Seriously? .I mean, you can't make this stuff up....

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, evitacruiser said:

Boris is due to address the country at 5pm UK time and it looks like we are headed back into a full national lock down for a month. 

I am sorry to hear that. I hope for you and fellow citizens, that if a lockdown is decided, it will be well respected. 

At the end of the month, you could become one of the better positioned countries in the world regarding Covid; while other nations, not taking such a measure, will likely be still struggling. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I am sorry to hear that. I hope for you and fellow citizens, that if a lockdown is decided, it will be well respected. 

At the end of the month, you could become one of the better positioned countries in the world regarding Covid; while other nations, not taking such a measure, will likely be still struggling. 

or a vaccine becomes approved

On 10/31/2020 at 3:20 PM, evitacruiser said:

Boris is due to address the country at 5pm UK time and it looks like we are headed back into a full national lock down for a month. 

So England is in a watered down lockdown for a month. Other parts of UK have their own regulations. Here work from home if possible, only outings are for daily exercise, essential shopping and doctors visits. Gyms, swimming pools, non essential shops, Cinemas, beauty saloons, pubs, restaurants museum's closed. Church services and weddings cancelled. No non essential hotel stays. Let's hope it works and the numbers come down. 85 per 100,000 cases  in my area but in other area it is in the several 100s 

Other countries in Europe are in much more controlled lockdown. For instance in France during your one hour of exercise daily you have to carry a dated and timed form to show police if asked 

Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives

• Like 1

Things are going well here in Oz. On Sunday we recorded 0 new cases and 0 deaths for the first time since the pandemic hit. State borders are opening up with some conditions. Overseas travel is still restricted, possibly till late next year except for possible travel "bubbles". We are seeing news of a locally produced vaccine about March.

Y'all take care, mask up and distance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

I know there was a rally in reading , too close to my family!  Scared to see the numbers there and in the other three counties. 

Thankfully I live in a state where the outcome is pretty much set, so we see virtually no ads from either candidate.  I can only imagine the onslaught of TV/radio ads in PA, FL, NC, AZ, NV, OH, MI,

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Thankfully I live in a state where the outcome is pretty much set, so we see virtually no ads from either candidate.  I can only imagine the onslaught of TV/radio ads in PA, FL, NC, AZ, NV, OH, MI,

You cannot watch any TV here in PA without being bombarded with these ads from all sides.  Every one of them created at a level to perhaps influence third graders to vote.  They will stop abruptly on Wed hopefully.  

On 10/31/2020 at 4:37 PM, cachouonacruise said:

Problem being....after any lockdown and borders open, in come more cases of virus.  It seems the entire world has to effect stringent measures before this can be reasonably controlled.  JMHO.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) and effective today, the entire province is in Code Red.  We have seen a huge uptick in cases (for us) and yesterday the death toll was nine with 431 new cases.  I know that does not seem like a lot compared to other provinces, states, countries etc. but is a huge increase for the province.  We are in code red for at least two weeks and hint from the government that it will be extended a further two weeks to cover two incubation periods.

All non-essential businesses are closed (most retail stores, salons etc.). You can order on-line for some businesses but only non-contact delivery.  Essential businesses (i.e. grocery stores, pharmacies) are limited to 25% capacity.  Restaurants are only take-out and we are encouraged to support local restaurants as many will not be able to survive this closure.  The hospitality industry has been hit very hard with several previous two week closures.  The last lockdown included dentists, podiatrists, physiotherapists, etc. but this time they have very strict rules and capacity and can remain open.  Many doctors are having telephone visits to determine the necessity for an in-person visit.  All libraries, community centres, senior centres, playgrounds, arenas, gyms etc. are closed.  Churches, synagogues, mosques and other places of worship have gone to virtual services.  No team sports such as hockey, curling, basketball allowed.

No gatherings of more than five people which includes weddings and funerals.  Visits to hospitals only for end-of-life patients and then extremely limited to two family members at a time.

We have had a mandatory mask policy in Winnipeg in all public places for over a month.  The majority of people complied but businesses had the right to refuse entry into their premises and many had signs posted in their windows.

Initially, last Tuesday, no visits were permitted between families etc.  Last night the government backed down on visits within households as many grandparents etc. are responsible for taking children to school while parents work in essential businesses such as hospitals, police & fire departments, schools etc.  Today, we can have five relatives in our ‘bubble” which enables caregivers to take children to school, visit relatives who have other health issues etc. not related to Covid.

Schools remain open at this time. My youngest son, DIL, & granddaughter are teachers.  I worry about them coming into contact with people who are ill although they have been provided with face shields & masks and desks are six feet apart.  My oldest son and DIL are in the hospitality business so their businesses are closed.

I consider myself fortunate to be healthy.  I recently cancelled B2B cruises in 2021 on the Equinox (Mardi Gras) and my oldest son cancelled their March 2021 cruise to take the grandchildren on their first cruise.  Perhaps in 2022 we will be able to cruise and travel once again. Let us hope that the world gets this under control.  The possibility of a vaccine looks promising.

Stay safe everyone wherever you live.  

• Thanks 1

Here in NY:

Numbers of pos tests rising slightly but more restrictive  measures have been decreed. Some families of more than 10 may have to decide who cannot sit at the Thanksgiving table...lest they be  in violation or thrust outside.

Glad we will be  heading south for sunshine, and fresh air.   Not looking forward to the flight..but praying we do okay.

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Here in NY:

Numbers of pos tests rising slightly but more restrictive  measures have been decreed. Some families of more than 10 may have to decide who cannot sit at the Thanksgiving table...lest they be  in violation or thrust outside.

Glad we will be  heading south for sunshine, and fresh air.   Not looking forward to the flight..but praying we do okay.

A colleague in NYC told me about the 10 person rule yesterday.  How on this green earth will they enforce that?  If neighbors spy more than 10 people in ones home do they report them???  I am ALL for PPE and being safe, 100% support it, masks when I leave home etc.  I read the other day about a couple who have 14 boys and just gave birth to their first girl.  So they have 17 ppl in their house, I guess they will need to set up a table in the garage for the older 7 kids to have TGiving dinner.

5 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's the key...easier said than done though. 

It is easy to do if you care. But too many people care more about socializing than protecting the health of their loved ones. We see our grandchildren outdoors only. Soon it will be too cold. Of course, it hurts, but it is safe and that is the most important.

8 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's the key...easier said than done though. 

Easy decision for me, though perhaps you mean in the larger population?  I guess that remains to be seen once the family holiday gatherings have come and gone and we see the results. 

38 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

SS...curious about something...are all the merchants and businesses complying with masking in terms of their own employees, etc.?  What I've found where we live is that it's hit or miss. I talked to more than one store manager and it became readily apparent that he simply doesn't believe the science behind the masking, etc. I KNOW this is a controversial issue (especially here in the US) and so that's why I asked. 

Yes the businesses are complying with masks for employees.  Most businesses, banks, public offices, doctors' offices etc. also have shields between the customer and staff member.  I can see the shields becoming a fixture when/if the pandemic is over.  

Masks are mandatory and the owner would be fined or even shut down if masks are not worn.  Several have been fined/closed down (orange code) before the red code was announced this week.

Example - when grocery shopping - besides staying six feet apart (they have arrows/X's on the floor) before you can put your groceries on the belt -- you must wait until the cashier disinfects the entire belt.  You must bag your own groceries.  The cashier is behind  a shield with a mask on.  When paying, they prefer credit/debit.  If possible - touch screen.  If not - the debit/credit machine has a plastic cover which is disinfected between each customer.  

Most businesses, banks etc. have hand sanitizer at the entrance to use (although I am sure there are those who do not use it!).  Like the U.S. - there are those who think that is just a hoax etc.  The majority of grocery stores have an employee disinfecting the carts before you take one.

My son who is in the hospitality industry joked that he could probably disinfect the tables, etc. with pure vodka cheaper than sanitizer.  The price for sanitizer (and masks) has increased significantly at  the wholesalers of industrial supplies.  They are now shopping at Costco and find the price significantly less.

My oldest son & DIL have owned a condo in Kissimmee since 2008 but unfortunately we won't be going there for quite awhile.  A couple of my friends have texted, etc. saying "isn't this about the time you leave for Florida and/or cruises??"  So I can only wish it will be sometime in the future -- as I look out the window and see the snow falling.

As an aside, beside cruising, we cancelled our land trip to Europe in May; rescheduled to September and we all know how that went!!  With cases in Europe, Canada, USA and other countries around the world, I cannot see travelling in the near future.  One can only hope.

Again -- keep safe everyone.  

• Haha 1