Cruise Insurance question

NMTraveller

I am on a May Canada cruise that is most likely to be cancelled.

I looked at my cruise insurance and I have Trip Cancellation covered at 100%.  Does this mean that they will cover the nonrefundable airline tickets if the cruise is cancelled?

What is Trip Cancellation insurance used for?  I am familiar with the health portions of the cruise insurance but not this coverage for Trip Cancellation.

Edited by Host Kat
Thread moved to the correct forum.

As recommended, best to check with your policy. Most do not cover a pandemic. In a usual situation, you need to be sure to purchase coverage of all expenses (air, hotel, tours, cruise, etc.) , to receive reimbursement for those expenses. Many only cover their cruise. Good luck. 

I did not purchase through the cruise company.  It is a cruise policy that should cover the whole trip.

I did try cancelling my Delta tickets online as their web page said not to call unless you are travelling in the next 7 days.  When I tried cancelling/rebooking online it had a large fee.  I suppose that their IT has not caught up with the situation.  I suppose that I will try calling Delta in a week as I may not need to use the insurance if it applies.

As stated above, it will depend on the provider that you have.  I am in the same position as you with trip cancellation, the key for the company that I am with is when the insurance was purchased, ( I'm good as I purchased it last November).  Also, you cannot claim insurance and also get a credit from the cruise or your flight,  you will have to provide the insurance company proof that you have cancelled both.  ( an email from both is sufficient ) This information was given to me by a rep from the insurance company. Once I have the proof I can get the cost of  both flights and cruise in full from my insurance.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Different companies have different coverage and exceptions. You really should contact your company.

This is incredibly great advice -- contact you insurance company representative.  

I hope you let us know the outcome.  

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I am on a May Canada cruise that is most likely to be cancelled.

I looked at my cruise insurance and I have Trip Cancellation covered at 100%.  Does this mean that they will cover the nonrefundable airline tickets if the cruise is cancelled?

What is Trip Cancellation insurance used for?  I am familiar with the health portions of the cruise insurance but not this coverage for Trip Cancellation.

The other replays are connect. Nobody except the company that sold the policy can tell you about your coverage.

Two things that have been discussed is to look at exclusions. If purchased after January 23rd (?) coronavirus would likely not be covered.  The other is to read the policy.  Most of them are pretty clear.

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I did not purchase through the cruise company.  It is a cruise policy that should cover the whole trip.

I did try cancelling my Delta tickets online as their web page said not to call unless you are travelling in the next 7 days.  When I tried cancelling/rebooking online it had a large fee.  I suppose that their IT has not caught up with the situation.  I suppose that I will try calling Delta in a week as I may not need to use the insurance if it applies.

It will cover the whole trip if you included the cost of air, hotels, and other extras in the total amount insured. If the cruise is cancelled, the cruise line will provide compensation. Insurance will cover your other non-refundable expenses.

It is my understanding that it will not cover the cost of the Delta tickets, only the change fees. You may be able to file a claim for the remaining loss once the tickets expire. Delta will not refund cash unless they cancel the flight.

In general, cancellation coverage reimburses your non-refundable expenses when you cancel for a covered reason, such as illness. The reasons are listed in your policy.

It gets pretty complicated, and the specifics depend on your policy. Read it as best you can, then call the company for clarification. 

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We cancelled a cruise for our daughter and son in law that involved a non refundable Delta flight fare that we booked directly with Delta. When we first cancelled the cruise on March 10/20, we tried to cancel it on line with Delta and got the same cancellation charge message that you are referencing, so we left it. We tried it again on March 16/20 (in the evening) and the cancellation went through without the charge that was showing a week earlier. The proceeds were credited back to our credit card within 2 business days.

It may have been good luck as opposed to good planning, but that was our experience with Delta.

Randy

19 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We cancelled a cruise for our daughter and son in law that involved a non refundable Delta flight fare that we booked directly with Delta. When we first cancelled the cruise on March 10/20, we tried to cancel it on line with Delta and got the same cancellation charge message that you are referencing, so we left it. We tried it again on March 16/20 (in the evening) and the cancellation went through without the charge that was showing a week earlier. The proceeds were credited back to our credit card within 2 business days.

It may have been good luck as opposed to good planning, but that was our experience with Delta.

Randy

So you got cash back on a non-refundable ticket? Have they changed their policy? All I saw on the website was a waiver of fees and an eCredit for the remaining value to be used in one year.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

So you got cash back on a non-refundable ticket? Have they changed their policy? All I saw on the website was a waiver of fees and an eCredit for the remaining value to be used in one year.

Yes. Policy may have been changed since we were on line. The ticket was not for very much money as it was only for one leg of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 12:11 PM, sippican said:

As recommended, best to check with your policy. Most do not cover a pandemic. In a usual situation, you need to be sure to purchase coverage of all expenses (air, hotel, tours, cruise, etc.) , to receive reimbursement for those expenses. Many only cover their cruise. Good luck. 

Hi sippican,

I'm familiar with many travel insurance plans and very few plans exclude pandemics or epidemics.

The policy wording is precise and complicated at the same time. Even before the Coronavirus, there was an abundance of vague / misleading information about what a Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plan covers. i.e. – not being excluded is different from being covered.

For the plans I know best, if you bought a Trip Cancellation policy before Jan 21, 2020 you are completely covered if you get ill with the Coronavirus before your trip (trip cancellation) and on your trip (trip interruption, medical treatment, etc). The Cancel For Any Reason covers you no matter when you buy it.

If pandemics or epidemics aren’t always excluded why are people getting surprised by their policy’s coverage?

For the most part, people are not cancelling their trips because there are illnesses in the world. There have always been serious illnesses in different places and most people have opted not to go to those places.

Instead, you’re likely being forced to change your travel plans due to any one or a combination of these common Travel Insurance Exclusions:

- A government regulation, mandate or prohibition
- Failure of any tour operator, common carrier, person or agency to provide the bargained-for travel arrangements. If a travel supplier changes the itinerary, but still gives you a similar trip or a future travel credit or waives the change fees, there’s no payable claim.
- Changes in plans by the Insured, a Family Member, or Traveling Companion, for any not-covered reason; unless the optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage was purchased.
- Fear, worry, concern about something that might happen on the trip. Read this if your doctor’s suggesting you don’t take your trip: Don’t Cancel for Your Own Medical Reasons If You’re Not Ill or Injured

Q. Does a pre-departure government mandated quarantine meet the definition of a quarantine for a covered reason when the insured traveler(s) are not sick themselves?

A. The Stay at Home or Shelter in Place orders are not a quarantine. Of the government orders I’ve read, they all allow you to leave your home for groceries. A quarantine wouldn’t allow you to leave a particular room. The quarantine covered reason covers when an insured is ill and is quarantined. The insured must be quarantined due to a Sickness.

I hope all this made sense. If not, let me know.

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  My cruise was cancelled so I checked my policy.  It does not cover a cruise line cancellation.

I am applying for ecredit with the travel insurance company.  Wait and see.

I am also modifying a different travel policy that I cancelled to go along with a cruise at the end of this year.

I am also applying for a full refund on my non-refundable flights.  Delta changed my flights from a 2/3 day flight to a 2 day flight with an additional stopover and overnight.  Wait and see...  The worst that could happen is that they will give me an ecredit and not a refund.