Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
NMTraveller

Cruise Insurance question

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am on a May Canada cruise that is most likely to be cancelled.

 

I looked at my cruise insurance and I have Trip Cancellation covered at 100%.  Does this mean that they will cover the nonrefundable airline tickets if the cruise is cancelled?

 

What is Trip Cancellation insurance used for?  I am familiar with the health portions of the cruise insurance but not this coverage for Trip Cancellation.

 

Edited by Host Kat
Thread moved to the correct forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the airline tickets check the airline website as many are waiving change fees or allowing a credit for a future flight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As recommended, best to check with your policy. Most do not cover a pandemic. In a usual situation, you need to be sure to purchase coverage of all expenses (air, hotel, tours, cruise, etc.) , to receive reimbursement for those expenses. Many only cover their cruise. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not purchase through the cruise company.  It is a cruise policy that should cover the whole trip.

 

I did try cancelling my Delta tickets online as their web page said not to call unless you are travelling in the next 7 days.  When I tried cancelling/rebooking online it had a large fee.  I suppose that their IT has not caught up with the situation.  I suppose that I will try calling Delta in a week as I may not need to use the insurance if it applies.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated above, it will depend on the provider that you have.  I am in the same position as you with trip cancellation, the key for the company that I am with is when the insurance was purchased, ( I'm good as I purchased it last November).  Also, you cannot claim insurance and also get a credit from the cruise or your flight,  you will have to provide the insurance company proof that you have cancelled both.  ( an email from both is sufficient ) This information was given to me by a rep from the insurance company. Once I have the proof I can get the cost of  both flights and cruise in full from my insurance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Different companies have different coverage and exceptions. You really should contact your company.

 

 

This is incredibly great advice -- contact you insurance company representative.  

 

I hope you let us know the outcome.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I am on a May Canada cruise that is most likely to be cancelled.

 

I looked at my cruise insurance and I have Trip Cancellation covered at 100%.  Does this mean that they will cover the nonrefundable airline tickets if the cruise is cancelled?

 

What is Trip Cancellation insurance used for?  I am familiar with the health portions of the cruise insurance but not this coverage for Trip Cancellation.

The other replays are connect. Nobody except the company that sold the policy can tell you about your coverage.

Two things that have been discussed is to look at exclusions. If purchased after January 23rd (?) coronavirus would likely not be covered.  The other is to read the policy.  Most of them are pretty clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I did not purchase through the cruise company.  It is a cruise policy that should cover the whole trip.

 

I did try cancelling my Delta tickets online as their web page said not to call unless you are travelling in the next 7 days.  When I tried cancelling/rebooking online it had a large fee.  I suppose that their IT has not caught up with the situation.  I suppose that I will try calling Delta in a week as I may not need to use the insurance if it applies.

 

 

It will cover the whole trip if you included the cost of air, hotels, and other extras in the total amount insured. If the cruise is cancelled, the cruise line will provide compensation. Insurance will cover your other non-refundable expenses.


It is my understanding that it will not cover the cost of the Delta tickets, only the change fees. You may be able to file a claim for the remaining loss once the tickets expire. Delta will not refund cash unless they cancel the flight.


In general, cancellation coverage reimburses your non-refundable expenses when you cancel for a covered reason, such as illness. The reasons are listed in your policy.

 

It gets pretty complicated, and the specifics depend on your policy. Read it as best you can, then call the company for clarification. 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I did not purchase through the cruise company.  It is a cruise policy that should cover the whole trip.

 

I did try cancelling my Delta tickets online as their web page said not to call unless you are travelling in the next 7 days.  When I tried cancelling/rebooking online it had a large fee.  I suppose that their IT has not caught up with the situation.  I suppose that I will try calling Delta in a week as I may not need to use the insurance if it applies.

 

 

We cancelled a cruise for our daughter and son in law that involved a non refundable Delta flight fare that we booked directly with Delta. When we first cancelled the cruise on March 10/20, we tried to cancel it on line with Delta and got the same cancellation charge message that you are referencing, so we left it. We tried it again on March 16/20 (in the evening) and the cancellation went through without the charge that was showing a week earlier. The proceeds were credited back to our credit card within 2 business days.

 

It may have been good luck as opposed to good planning, but that was our experience with Delta.

 

Randy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We cancelled a cruise for our daughter and son in law that involved a non refundable Delta flight fare that we booked directly with Delta. When we first cancelled the cruise on March 10/20, we tried to cancel it on line with Delta and got the same cancellation charge message that you are referencing, so we left it. We tried it again on March 16/20 (in the evening) and the cancellation went through without the charge that was showing a week earlier. The proceeds were credited back to our credit card within 2 business days.

 

It may have been good luck as opposed to good planning, but that was our experience with Delta.

 

Randy

 


So you got cash back on a non-refundable ticket? Have they changed their policy? All I saw on the website was a waiver of fees and an eCredit for the remaining value to be used in one year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Babr said:


So you got cash back on a non-refundable ticket? Have they changed their policy? All I saw on the website was a waiver of fees and an eCredit for the remaining value to be used in one year.

Yes. Policy may have been changed since we were on line. The ticket was not for very much money as it was only for one leg of the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...