New suspension dates until after 11 May (merged)

combine

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. In an abundance of caution, we have decided to further extend our temporary global suspension and we anticipate that we’ll be back on the high seas after May 11th, 2020. This decision is inconvenient, but necessary in light of the global response to COVID-19. We are reaching out to our booked guests and travel advisors directly to help them work through this. As always, our priority is to protect the safety and well-being of our guests and crew.

https://www.azamara.com/travel-advisory

Interesting and a bit more sensible but I would not be too confident that everything will be ok in Europe on 11 May for citizens. Even if some restrictions are lifted you may still find restrictions on travel and indeed there may be specific restrictions on cruise ships. Note that Ryanair have said they do not expect to fly in April or May.  

Bottom line if someone has a booking then not much can be done as there is a lot to play out. And having being in lock down for two weeks already I would be very grateful if this crisis is over by 11 May. 

But I certainly would not be making a new booking at this point in time. 

• Like 1

Isn’t it obvious???? Azamara (and undoubtedly others) have an administrative nightmare. They can only cancel up to a certain date to have any hope of dealing with the affected clients. Our cruises are scheduled for late June onwards and I’m not worried at all. I have every confidence that in good time they’ll get through the March, April, May backlog and cancel June/July cruises and, in turn, get to us. Similarly with travel,insurance, hotels and flights, I’m not even attempting to contact them yet - why bother when they can’t handle the volume?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJCM said:

Isn’t it obvious???? Azamara (and undoubtedly others) have an administrative nightmare. They can only cancel up to a certain date to have any hope of dealing with the affected clients. Our cruises are scheduled for late June onwards and I’m not worried at all. I have every confidence that in good time they’ll get through the March, April, May backlog and cancel June/July cruises and, in turn, get to us. Similarly with travel,insurance, hotels and flights, I’m not even attempting to contact them yet - why bother when they can’t handle the volume?

points well made. I have a holiday booked to the US in May and not even thinking of going near the airline yet. Will decide mid April whether I move to another date, take the voucher on offer with a 10% bonus or seek a refund. Will likely take the voucher Unless they are in severe difficulty as it is in all our interest that as many as possible operators emerge on the other side of this crisis. 

the only caveat is future bookings. There is too much uncertainty right now. 

Edited by Pavovsky
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, AJCM said:

I would not hold your breath for a June cruise in Europe. Suggestions are that the virus will not reach its peak for another 12 weeks or so. I would not expect to see any European cruise until the Autumn or possible next Spring!! As for the USA I am unwinding a land tour for June/July and all of the hotels to date have allowed a free cancellation for non-refundable bookings. Virgin Atlantic are indicating that they will not be flying to the USA until after May 31st.

• Like 3

Azamara are going down the rolling cancellation route which is sensible as a business to manage cash flow and service levels. As a customer it's not so easy as you may find you have to pay your final balance for a cruise you are pretty much sure won't go ahead.If you also plan your own trips and book separate hotels and flights then it gets more complicated. As someone who works in business travel and has three cruises booked I can see both sides. I guess all we know is that we are for an unpredictable few months. 

• Like 4

I have a cruise with Silversea for May 23 in Galapagos.  Thankfully, they are now in the RCCL family and have the same cancellation policies.  The 125% Future Cruise Credit does us little good though because they are replacing our ship with a ship whose rates are 150%.  I'll ask my TA if they'll move our booking to the same week next year on the new ship, but if not,  I'm more than happy to get our money back.  It's all wait an see at this point, but I don't understand why these cruise companies think they can charge more when this pandemic has probably damaged their industry more than other industries.

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

I have a cruise with Silversea for May 23 in Galapagos.  Thankfully, they are now in the RCCL family and have the same cancellation policies.  The 125% Future Cruise Credit does us little good though because they are replacing our ship with a ship whose rates are 150%.  I'll ask my TA if they'll move our booking to the same week next year on the new ship, but if not,  I'm more than happy to get our money back.  It's all wait an see at this point, but I don't understand why these cruise companies think they can charge more when this pandemic has probably damaged their industry more than other industries.

this is an industry which will truly suffer at least for the next couple of years. Il

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, ptrpanpens said:

Azamara desperately need a good proof reader! This sort of thing happens all too frequently.

Actually just any proof reader would help.  Just like many of the words on TV screens for quite awhile now where obvious that nobody read what was posted.

And to those who say give them a break,  this problem with Azamara has been happening for many many years and not just now during the pandemic and they have had plenty of comments and chances to improve however have chosen to do nothing.

Viking have now suspended operations through to the 30th June surely this is far more realistic than telling customers that cruises will be underway on the 12th May. Customers know this and just want some strong management to make these hard decisions In troubled times.

When this is all over consumers will be looking at which companies handled the situation in a truthful and sympathetic manner, so far Viking are head and shoulders above the others. I certainly won’t be forgetting Richard Fain’s appalling videos in a hurry.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Riocca said:

Viking have now suspended operations through to the 30th June surely this is far more realistic than telling customers that cruises will be underway on the 12th May. Customers know this and just want some strong management to make these hard decisions In troubled times.

When this is all over consumers will be looking at which companies handled the situation in a truthful and sympathetic manner, so far Viking are head and shoulders above the others. I certainly won’t be forgetting Richard Fain’s appalling videos in a hurry.   

In the interests of accuracy, Azamara haven’t said they will resume on 12 May, they have said something slightly different which is that  “we anticipate to resume operations after 11 May 2020”.

• Like 2