Ugh. Depressing

Me and my fiancé are Diamond with Royal and also Florida natives. Hopping on a cruise in the past has been so simple for us. no flying, just a two or three hour drive and on another ship. Will be a long time before we do another. Want to know for sure they have a handle on this before cruising again, and who knows how long it will take for the different islands to open back up! Please stay safe everyone and make the right decisions.

We had five cruises booked for this year, RCI cancelled 2, the 5/17 will be cancelled by us if RCI does not.  Already cancelled the 25 days Vancouver to Singapore in September, won't be returning to the Philippines next year.  At age 71 in a few weeks hate to have a whole year pulled out from under me.  Been listening to the Moody Blues Our Guessing Game

Walking in the sand thinking of things

Adventures in my mind

Of tall ships that sail across the ocean wide

But they won't wait for me

See how they glide away so gracefully

And with tomorrow what will become of me?

It leaves me so much to explain

That's the start of our guessing game.

There are times that I think I've found the truth

There are days I know I am wrong

But the days I try to hide my fears

Bless the days that I'm feeling strong

Wonder why we try so hard

Wonder why we try at all

You wonder why the world is turning around

In the end it won't matter at all

• Like 3

My husband was deployed for our 10yr anniversary this was supposed to be our big trip for our 15th year anniversary leaving on our anniversary May 3rd and then it was cancelled too. I told him there is no way I am planning anything for our 20th anniversary. He said as long as we are still married that is all that matters :)

I said well couples that cruise together stay together ....  

We are booked for the second sailing of Odyssey but don't know if that will be finished in time at this rate.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Another "ugh"....

Flying to London tomorrow for the Celebrity Apex pre-inaugural (April 1st). Only chance to board a brand new ship....

Dani- so unfortunate that you are missing this.  But perhaps in a few months when APEX launches you can be there.  Here's to being hopeful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MainerRN92 said:

I'd started packing for my April 19 cruise on Freedom. I finally unpacked it all when Royal officially extended their suspension of cruising, but I'd accepted it wouldn't happen well before that. It was very heartbreaking putting it all away. Even more heartbreaking cancelling my cruise planner purchases, which I'd done a few days before the cruise was cancelled. It'll be hard when April 19 comes and picturing what I should have been doing 😔

I was on that sailing too.  I didn't cancel my precruise planner purchases.  Now the prices are higher for everything.  Waiting it out to see they come down during holiday sales so I can book for my 8/23 sailing.  I hope so.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, megsie said:

I agree with your thoughts.  USA is now the world’s COVID-19 epicentre surpassing China and Italy. Personally we won’t cruise again until there is a vaccine.

In our local health area (Hunter, NSW, Australia)  69 of 124, over 50% of positive cases have come from cruising.  The remaining, excepting 5 cases under current investigation, are from overseas (including returning Aussies).

Stay home, stay safe and keep healthy. We all will enjoy cruising again when it’s safe to do so. 

Naturally those are the reported cases that had actually been tested.  I am guessing there really are a lot more cases in some countries....not reported..or simply not tested.  With testing ramping up here..so do the cases get reported.  China has a whole lot more people than we do.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

A little perspective might be useful. I am disappointed about our cruises, but I have no sense of tragedy. Could have occurred by falling in the terminal and breaking a leg.

Any time I feel bad I remind myself of what is at stake. Tragedy is the 27,000+ who have died and the 22,000+ in serious condition, the health care workers who risk their lives and face exhaustion and horrible triage decisions, the millions of unemployed who do not have any idea where their rent or food are coming from, and the hundreds of thousands of loved ones who cannot even see or comfort their ill relatives or lonely grandparents or parents.

All I face is missing some days on a luxury vacation.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

A little perspective might be useful. I am disappointed about our cruises, but I have no sense of tragedy. Could have occurred by falling in the terminal and breaking a leg.

Any time I feel bad I remind myself of what is at stake. Tragedy is the 27,000+ who have died and the 22,000+ in serious condition, the health care workers who risk their lives and face exhaustion and horrible triage decisions, the millions of unemployed who do not have any idea where their rent or food are coming from, and the hundreds of thousands of loved ones who cannot even see or comfort their ill relatives or lonely grandparents or parents.

We all understand this.

13 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

People are aware of what is going on and this thread was started so people could have a short pity party before returning to the reality of what is happening in the world today.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Irish13 said:

My husband was deployed for our 10yr anniversary this was supposed to be our big trip for our 15th year anniversary leaving on our anniversary May 3rd and then it was cancelled too. I told him there is no way I am planning anything for our 20th anniversary. He said as long as we are still married that is all that matters 🙂

I said well couples that cruise together stay together ....  

We are booked for the second sailing of Odyssey but don't know if that will be finished in time at this rate.

Smiling...wonderful post.

Thank you for your husband's service and special thanks to you...wives of vets are important as well.

Congratulations on your anniversary...wherever it may be...sounds like you found the right man.

Wishing you both good health and safe travels.  Happy sailing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, island lady said:

Naturally those are the reported cases that had actually been tested.  I am guessing there really are a lot more cases in some countries....not reported..or simply not tested.  With testing ramping up here..so do the cases get reported.  China has a whole lot more people than we do.  😮 

I hope testing for the people of the USA is ramping up. John Hopkins University made the report on the USA having the most cases now in the world. The testing has been one of the lowest also at 1.74 per 1,000 also. Here in Australia the testing is 7.57 testings per 1,000.

Worldwide I just hope a vaccine or treatment can be found ASAP but I think for quite sometime our lives will be changed. 

I’m enjoying reminiscing of our cruising occasionally in DH’s chats.  We’re focusing on one cruise per week with photos, anecdotes and memories etc. I only hope we are not still doing it in a year though. 

Stay home, stay safe and keep healthy everyone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Smiling...wonderful post.

Thank you for your husband's service and special thanks to you...wives of vets are important as well.

Congratulations on your anniversary...wherever it may be...sounds like you found the right man.

Wishing you both good health and safe travels.  Happy sailing.

Thanks so much he is a keeper for sure ! 

• Like 1

We know the world sucks and there are bigger issues, but this is a nice place to have a pity party. See other started threads and how people attacked them - this is the place to whine about something so let us have it. We know there are more important things, but that is why posting on a board of strangers instead of our friends and family is what we are doing.

We booked a UAE middle East itinerary over a year in advance which we never do. We got two rooms with our kids to spoil ourselves and when prices came down we added a week, up graded one leg to a suite and planned our first b2b. Mid cruise the world shut down and went to s@$#. We made the best of it had lots of fun, but we also were stressed out, slept little, and had lots of uncertainty. Scrambling to get home without freaking out your kids is not an experience I wish to repeat.

While we got a refund for most of it, I am a teacher with limited time and the airfare money was used so we are out that.  I have a FCC, a large one, that I need to use so while exciting I am also stressed I can't use it. Plus still dealing with getting refunds from the interrupted trip.

Now back home I have new stressors, and my old ones that made me look forward to the trip to begin with are still here, but now in quarantine to make them worse.

I just want a vacation to look forward to, to make my world normal again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

People are aware of what is going on and this thread was started so people could have a short pity party before returning to the reality of what is happening in the world today.

I was simply referring to how reminding myself of all that supplants any sense of needing a self-pity party. That is why my post talked about me, not others.