Modified New England/Canada Itineraries

anna5545

Hi All,

Per Celebrity's email from 3/27/20, they are modifying New England/Canada Cruises departing in May/June. I can't find on the website what the itinerary changes are, and the website states that guests booked on those cruises will be notified directly of the changes. If there is anyone who receives this information, can you share what the changes are? I"m booked for this cruise in September, and like many am on the fence about going. Knowing what kind of changes they are making may make the decision easier.

Thanks! 

Nobody knows what is actually going to happen next week, let alone six months from now!

The Canada restrictions are due to be lifted on July 1st, so as things stand today, your itinerary will be as advertised. That doesn't mean it's not susceptible to change.

I'm beyond guessing or speculating what will happen. Only you can decide what to do, but in reality, knowing the current changes won't help.

• Thanks 1

Not listed is a cruise to New England/Canada(9 day) on May 19th. I did have a call from out travel agency that the new itinerary would be:

Sea day - Portland - Bar Harbor - sea day - sea day - Bermuda over night - sea day - sea day. 
Compensation - 1/9 of the cruise price as on board credit to be spent by 5/27 or lose it.

Hal

Part of email of 3/24 from Celebrity concerning our 9 Night Canada/New England on the Summit on 28 May...

Due to port closures and travel restrictions implemented by the government of Canada, we’ve modified our itinerary thereby ensuring you have the best cruise experience possible.  On June 1st, our scheduled call to Saint John, New Brunswick will be replaced with a relaxing day at Sea.  Additionally, our calls to Sydney and Halifax, Nova Scotia have been replaced with a stop in Nassau, Bahamas on June 3rd, followed by an additional day at Sea on June 4th. 

It is waaaaaay to early to have any info about September, and there are so many options (Bahamas, Bermuda, even having no changes at all is possible) you can’t make an informed decision.

One question to ask yourself is, are you willing to go no matter what the destinations are?  That is, Is the ship itself is enough of a draw that the destinations won’t matter?

Edited by cruisestitch

May and June are pretty simple. Ask yourself if X or the others will sail if there are ANY cases of Covid19? 

Then if you think there will be no cases for say a week by May?  June?  Or?  

Now give X 2 weeks to move ship and crew and countries to reopen ports.

Those cruise dates at moot.  IMO cannot possibly happen as another disaster like Holland America and Celebrity are experiencing would finish cruising for many months.

August - possible but not likely.  

Once again just ask how long till this pandemic is over EVERYWHERE.  Until that happens the cruiseline would be stupid to cruise as would you as a passenger.

8 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

May and June are pretty simple. Ask yourself if X or the others will sail if there are ANY cases of Covid19? 

Then if you think there will be no cases for say a week by May?  June?  Or?  

Now give X 2 weeks to move ship and crew and countries to reopen ports.

Those cruise dates at moot.  IMO cannot possibly happen as another disaster like Holland America and Celebrity are experiencing would finish cruising for many months.

August - possible but not likely.  

Once again just ask how long till this pandemic is over EVERYWHERE.  Until that happens the cruiseline would be stupid to cruise as would you as a passenger.

6 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Did get a call(TA) that the 19th is going to Bermuda(over night), instead of Nassau with 1/9th of cost of cruise as obc which must be used on board or lose it.

The way things are going on right now Celebrity is just waiting this thing out, but I feel this will be a no go.

The town of Bar Harbor has banned cruise ships through April with the ban likely to get extended through May.  Acadia National Park is closed. All stores, bars, and restaurants are closed except grocery stores, pharmacies, and other essential businesses.  Not a great time to be coming to Maine...

For us it certainly Will be a no go - both over 70 and no dr(doctor said no) note. Might as well wait it out, as it looks now in the New York/New Jersey area there will be no port available till this settles down(July). The only passenger ship in the harbor will be the US Navy hospital ship with 1000 bed capacity(Javits convention center, near the port, also has become a hospital with another 1000 beds).

Hal

1 hour ago, pasta1 said:

The way things are going on right now Celebrity is just waiting this thing out, but I feel this will be a no go.

Celebrity is hoping Covid19 will disappear in a few weeks.

Our local county public health estimates if there were no new infections (None!) as of today it would take 6-8 weeks to declare covid19 gone.  That is the first of June.  At that time probably 2 weeks to get cruises up and running.

Do you think that is realistic?

The cruiselines have several reasons to slowly walk back the beginning of resuming cruising. 

#1 is the have people cancell on their own

#2 is to conserve cash by giving FCCs instead of refunds

#3 is to maybe keep calls for customer service a bit lower in number.  Will FCCs quoted to my TA at 8 weeks things not too good.

#4 is cruises once cancelled are gone. X hopes for a miracle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Celebrity is hoping Covid19 will disappear in a few weeks.

Our local county public health estimates if there were no new infections (None!) as of today it would take 6-8 weeks to declare covid19 gone.  That is the first of June.  At that time probably 2 weeks to get cruises up and running.

Do you think that is realistic?

The cruiselines have several reasons to slowly walk back the beginning of resuming cruising. 

#1 is the have people cancell on their own

#2 is to conserve cash by giving FCCs instead of refunds

#3 is to maybe keep calls for customer service a bit lower in number.  Will FCCs quoted to my TA at 8 weeks things not too good.

#4 is cruises once cancelled are gone. X hopes for a miracle.

#5 They have your cash in the mean time.

The letter from the CEO is only cosmetic.

Edited by pasta1
add

If I was booked on an east coast Canada Cruise and celebrity told me that "oh by the way you're going to Nassau" I'd be livid. If I wanted to cruise to Nassau I would have booked to Nassau. Sorry those places are not interchaneable. I would be cancelling that cruise and probably any others with Celebrity, that would be one bait and switch too many for me. To go along with the delayed revolution refit on Eclipse that was announced before the virus breakout😡

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pasta1 said:

#5 They have your cash in the mean time.

The letter from the CEO is only cosmetic.

For the cruises to "Canada" discussed here I hopefully people cancelled before final payment or will take the refund when X cancels.  Those that take a 125% FCC are being greedy and could close their money.  I see nothing wrong offering a FCC option on cancelled cruises.

As to. the Bahamas, it stands about a 10%  chance of happening.  

• 2 weeks later...

You would think they have talked to the various ports of call before posting them.  For sure, things can change too.

We have had 2 cruises make major change to itineraries mid cruise, so it happens.

I think May is too early and think June we will see a lot more relaxation of the huddle at home issue.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:57 AM, az_tchr said:

As to. the Bahamas, it stands about a 10%  chance of happening.

Perhaps not even that. I don't see any way they can make the cruise happen now even if Bar Harbor opens a dock for that cruise. X would have to add two more stateside ports to replace Bar Harbor and Portland and either overnight in one or both, or add Bermuda on the return leg. Assuming Boyonne will be open then, which doesn't seem likely.

6 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

You would think they have talked to the various ports of call before posting them.  For sure, things can change too.

We have had 2 cruises make major change to itineraries mid cruise, so it happens.

I think May is too early and think June we will see a lot more relaxation of the huddle at home issue.

We are from Massachusetts and also live in Naples, Fl.  We usually go back north mid-May.  We are now hoping for sometime in June but realistically think it will be July or August.  I pray I’m wrong but check out MA’s Coronavirus numbers.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:53 AM, Fouremco said:

Anna, here are a couple of the revised itineraries. They are on the website if you search with Canada (!) as the destination. Nassau and Bermuda are the substitutes for Canada.

1678911511_ScreenShot2020-03-27at11_48_56AM.thumb.png.29697e5832d118061307986c56a5b546.png1791990948_ScreenShot2020-03-27at11_50_08AM.thumb.png.0539be5ad91baa74161339009f6a8722.png

These won't happen with Bar Harbor closed to cruise ships until July 1st. Portland is currently closed... expecting an extension on that closure at the next city council meeting. Local schools are announcing that they will not reopen this school year and we always go until mid/late June. Our tourist season is toast.