Cruise Terminal being used for extra hospital beds

2 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Unless you live in Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken...

Even for those folks, the terminal is 1.5 miles down a dead end bumpy road in the middle of nowhere, unlike Brooklyn which is almost right off I278. I assume there might be a more convenient facility which they could turn into a make shift hospital. Besides, NJ has only 1/4 the cases of NY, so much less likely to be needed.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Even for those folks, the terminal is 1.5 miles down a dead end bumpy road in the middle of nowhere, unlike Brooklyn which is almost right off I278. I assume there might be a more convenient facility which they could turn into a make shift hospital. Besides, NJ has only 1/4 the cases of NY, so much less likely to be needed.

I certainly hope you are right. This is scary stuff.

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I278?

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

NY is a mess 44,000 cases.  The makeshift  morgue they built 2 days ago was already filled yesterday. Manhattan has the Javits Center so I guess this is to help out Brooklyn where the numbers keep growing.

Edited by Iamcruzin

7 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

The USNS Mercy Hospital Ship is now docked at berth 91 San Pedro.  It is one of the cruise terminals.   

It kind of needs to dock at a terminal. Probably a good facility to process people

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 1:19 PM, Biker19 said:

Kinda out of the way to use Cape Liberty for something like that, unlike Brooklyn.

Not really....911,  I was part of a team to set up tents, arrange transportation, etc,  to receive patients here in NJ....personnel, supplies and transportation to take 1000 if needed.

Feeling was New York hospitals would be overwhelmed.

Got it all set up by the end of the day.

Sadly, it never happened.

But here we are again, with the fear New York hospitals will be overwhelmed.

Current talk is to transfer non-infectious patients out of the city, that way not spreading the virus.

Edited by B-52

A USNS Mercy  Hospital ship is going to be docking at Pier 90 in NYC. 

It comes with 1000 hospital beds,operating rooms, labs,x-ray equipment etc plus staff that includes doctors,nurses,orderlies and ship maintenance personnel.

The ship will be used to care for non-virus patients. People needing operations and other medical care will be hospitalized on the ship. 

The terminal located in Red Hook,Brooklyn, used mainly by Princes and Cunard ships is being converted as a field hospital. Governor Cuomo discussed this in his latest update today. There are also other field hospitals being set up in other NYC boroughs to handle the health crisis. 

The USNS Mercy Hospital ship is ported in San Pedro, CA at the old RC terminal when RC used to sail out of Los Angeles. My son is in the army and his unit was deployed to New York City at the Javitz Center where the Army has set up a field hospital for non-corona patients. My son is a 68 Wiskey - combat medic. 

9 hours ago, MJSailors said:

A USNS Mercy  Hospital ship is going to be docking at Pier 90 in NYC. 

It comes with 1000 hospital beds,operating rooms, labs,x-ray equipment etc plus staff that includes doctors,nurses,orderlies and ship maintenance personnel.

The ship will be used to care for non-virus patients. People needing operations and other medical care will be hospitalized on the ship. 

Just to avoid confusion, the USNS Comfort is headed to NYC.  The USNS Mercy will be conducting similar operations on the west coast as @CRUISEFOUR said.

Hopefully they will be able to put the resources and space of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to good use in supporting the Comfort's mission.

As to the use of unoccupied NYC hotels used for hospital care- I assume that there would  be a great amount of cleaning and sanitation needed before those facilities would meet standards for hospital care.

The cruise terminal as well as the Javitz   center and other field hospital locations are open,indoor spaces that ,most likely could be cleaned and sanitized more efficiently than furnished hotel accommodations. 

Thanks to the National Guard and Army Core of Engineers  and other units, the field hospitals are being set up expeditiously.

The USNS Comfort  is due to arrive at Pier 90 tomorrow.

Since the cruise terminals will not be needed any time soon, it makes sense to use these facilities in this health crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

With all those giant empty NYC hotels don't understand use of cruise terminals.

Just a guess but if I owned a hotel I wouldnt want it used as a “hospital”... I would be thinking ahead and my assumption would be customers would stay away from a hotel formerly used as a hospital. Using a terminal imo is a better choice and much easier to evaluate patients in a more open area as opposed to hallways and elevators that arent made to accept hospital beds,gurneys,stretchers etc. Cruising isnt happening any time soon. Hotels will be used long before cruising resumes which isnt imo going to happen in may. I assume another 30 days will be tacked on a few more times.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 1