Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

6 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Fort Lauderdale via Manilla? / Bali? & Panama Canal.

Tanjung Priok (Jakarta) is more likely

Capt. Mercer answered; Batam, Indonesia, across from Singapore

Map of Batam

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Change in plans. Originally it was going to be west the long way around.  Freemantle to Durban, down around Cape Good Hope, up & across the Atlantic to Florida.

Obviously, I guess they sailed 9,000 miles (4,500 each way) out of their way to drop off five crew members 🙄

Edited by KirkNC

48 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Obviously, I guess they sailed 9,000 miles (4,500 each way) out of their way to drop off five crew members 🙄

And then to cross the Atlantic and hope that they get cleared by Panama.   I'm sure there is a good reason.  Just can't figure out what it is.

For me, this is an incredible situation for Amsterdam and it illustrates pretty clearly how desperate the situation is with regards to ships and their crews world wide.

I can't imagine this ship backtracking all the way across the Indian Ocean if there was any other alternative.

If must be very difficult and frustrating for HAL management as well as those on board.

• Like 2

3 HAL ships:  Maasdam, Eurodam, Westerdam are near Cabo, hanging out.  

My guess is they are positioning the fleet to restart operations in September.   They probably have written off Alaska this year and hope to commence operations with their sept schedule.  Probably Caribbean stuff and Mexican Rivera and round trips to Hawaii.  

Amsterdam was supposed to do NE this year, and they may try to get her ready for that and have her on the east coast.    My guess is they are going to stick with 7 day cruises close to USA until things stabilize.  

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

For me, this is an incredible situation for Amsterdam and it illustrates pretty clearly how desperate the situation is with regards to ships and their crews world wide.

I can't imagine this ship backtracking all the way across the Indian Ocean if there was any other alternative.

If must be very difficult and frustrating for HAL management as well as those on board.

This is just a continuation of what was happening when we were still aboard.  Constant change in itinerary...not knowing when the next change would come.  Things are still changing for the ships and I'm sure that the original plan was to go to Durban, then to FLL.  But, on the way there (or maybe once they got there), I'm sure the Captain was on the horn to Seattle and anyone else checking to see about dropping the crew off.  Why not?  If they went to FL they'd just end up sitting offshore like dozens of other ships (full of crew) are doing.  At least this way the crew gets to go home and be with their families.  I think that the ship will continue on to Manila to drop those crew members off also.  As long as they are allowed.  Where they go after that; who knows.  They will have see as time goes by due to this ever changing situation. 

Linda R.

....who will have NO problem waiting for her luggage to come home thru all this. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

This is just a continuation of what was happening when we were still aboard.  Constant change in itinerary...not knowing when the next change would come.  Things are still changing for the ships and I'm sure that the original plan was to go to Durban, then to FLL.  But, on the way there (or maybe once they got there), I'm sure the Captain was on the horn to Seattle and anyone else checking to see about dropping the crew off.  Why not?  If they went to FL they'd just end up sitting offshore like dozens of other ships (full of crew) are doing.  At least this way the crew gets to go home and be with their families.  I think that the ship will continue on to Manila to drop those crew members off also.  As long as they are allowed.  Where they go after that; who knows.  They will have see as time goes by due to this ever changing situation. 

Linda R.

....who will have NO problem waiting for her luggage to come home thru all this. 

3 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Maybe the luggage could stay on till the 2021 world cruise 😀

3 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Hmmm....now, that's a thought!!!  I left some yarn in my luggage along with my crochet hooks. 

Linda R.

I would not bet that the 2021 world cruise will take place.

• Like 1

When Captain Mercer retires, I hope he will write a book about his years at sea.  Captain Hans Mateboer was a great author of many tales at sea.  Mercer's thoughts, after reflection once he retires, would be very interesting to read.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When Captain Mercer retires, I hope he will write a book about his years at sea.  Captain Hans Mateboer was a great author of many tales at sea.  Mercer's thoughts, after reflection once he retires, would be very interesting to read.

He all ready has sold and signed on this last world

11 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

He all ready has sold and signed on this last world

??  What are you saying?  Unless Captain Mercer has changed his mind--again--the 2020 world cruise was to be his last.  He was retiring once he docked the ship at Port Everglades is what I understood.

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

??  What are you saying?  Unless Captain Mercer has changed his mind--again--the 2020 world cruise was to be his last.  He was retiring once he docked the ship at Port Everglades is what I understood.

He sold his book on this past 2020 world cruise and yes he’s on his way to retirement