Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

1 hour ago, larhode said:

I asked, they said yes, then did nothing.  And they won't put anything in writing.  They don't answer emails but you can get them on the phone.   They just say they are backed up, which I believe is a lie.  They have 3 SMALL ships and they haven't refunded anyone.  Of course if you book a cruise, they are able to charge your card immediately. 

Azamara are part of Royal Caribbean and I suspect that the sharing of administration means you are in together with all the ships of both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so it won't be just three small ships they are dealing with. More like forty four. 

There is currently also a long thread on the Celebrity board so you aren't alone. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2742737-cancelled-cruises-refund-tracker/

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

We were on a back to back on Jewel of the Seas. The first week (9 March) the ship didn’t get to any ports and we received a refund via the cc we registered when boarding but stayed on the ship. The second week (16 March) was cancelled and we received that refund for the cruise via our travel agent last week and the drinks package and speciality dining that we booked ourselves was refunded this week.  RC are working on a strict date order, we were told by email.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiggertom said:

We were on a back to back on Jewel of the Seas. The first week (9 March) the ship didn’t get to any ports and we received a refund via the cc we registered when boarding but stayed on the ship. The second week (16 March) was cancelled and we received that refund for the cruise via our travel agent last week and the drinks package and speciality dining that we booked ourselves was refunded this week.  RC are working on a strict date order, we were told by email.

That makes sense. Hopefully those who were on other cancelled March cruises will see their money soon.

2 hours ago, tiggertom said:

One would hope then if you received your refund for the cancelled 16 March cruise last week, the refund for the cancelled 17 March cruise should follow very soon!

It would be nice to receive some official communication, not just information gleaned via Cruise Critic.

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

It would be nice to receive some official communication, not just information gleaned via Cruise Critic.

I think that’s what’s so frustrating. Azamara are making the same mistakes as they made pre cruise cancellation with an appalling lack of communication. Everyone recognises this is an unprecedented situation and not easy for anyone. However some communication from Azamara with a time frame or just clarification that they  are working on date order would be helpful,  but it appears no one has  received any communication from Azamara since their cruise cancellation. 

• Like 1

We have just come off the phone to our TA and we are fuming. We have been told that they guarantee our deposit will be refunded on 31st July, if we do not use it as a FCC, the balance they cannot guarantee, as they have cancellation penalties for flights and hotels that they are trying to negotiate! Every time we quoted the 2018 legislation she said they were following ABTA’s guidelines. We pointed out that guidelines are simply that, guidelines, whereas Regulations are in fact, law. It would really help, as sunlover33 stated above, if we had some idea what timeline Azamara are working to or at least some confirmation that they are working on date order. As it is impossible to get through to Azamara at the moment, we are left with our TA telling us whatever they choose! 
They have had plenty of business off us over the years, but never again!! Beginning to wonder if will ever see our money again! Looks like our only hope is a CC chargeback, not sure how likely that is.

38 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

We have just come off the phone to our TA and we are fuming. We have been told that they guarantee our deposit will be refunded on 31st July, if we do not use it as a FCC, the balance they cannot guarantee, as they have cancellation penalties for flights and hotels that they are trying to negotiate! Every time we quoted the 2018 legislation she said they were following ABTA’s guidelines. We pointed out that guidelines are simply that, guidelines, whereas Regulations are in fact, law. It would really help, as sunlover33 stated above, if we had some idea what timeline Azamara are working to or at least some confirmation that they are working on date order. As it is impossible to get through to Azamara at the moment, we are left with our TA telling us whatever they choose! 
They have had plenty of business off us over the years, but never again!! Beginning to wonder if will ever see our money again! Looks like our only hope is a CC chargeback, not sure how likely that is.

Did you get an ATOL certificate when booking?  If so you will get a refund in the case of the agent going bust. However that will take a long time. The situation is far from ideal but if the agent can refund you even if it takes longer than normal then this would be a better situation. I feel for you as I know if I was in the same boat I would want the money back in my account. I can also see how the travel industry has to deal with getting money back from suppliers and also having staff either in furlough or self isolating. Travel really is a basket case at the moment but that doesn't make it any less frustrating as we all know it takes seconds to take the money from customers when the balance is due.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lindy028 said:

We are in a similar position, and nobody wants to acknowledge any of the emails we have sent or talk to us. Our contact at the travel agent has been furloughed which seems odd given they keep saying that delays are due to staff shortages.

Seems that the whole travel industry is trying to hold onto clients money as long as possible encouraged by ABTA. I have emailed our travel agent saying unless I hear something by the end of next week I will be starting the section 75 procedure with our credit card company.
I’m sure when some normality returns all these companies will be all over us saying just how valuable we are to their business but we will remember how we are treated in bad times.

So far our hotel in Dubai waved all cancellation fees, car parking at Heathrow returned our money in 2 days and our taxi company within 5 days, these companies will retain our custom!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riocca said:

We are in a similar position, and nobody wants to acknowledge any of the emails we have sent or talk to us. Our contact at the travel agent has been furloughed which seems odd given they keep saying that delays are due to staff shortages.

Seems that the whole travel industry is trying to hold onto clients money as long as possible encouraged by ABTA. I have emailed our travel agent saying unless I hear something by the end of next week I will be starting the section 75 procedure with our credit card company.
I’m sure when some normality returns all these companies will be all over us saying just how valuable we are to their business but we will remember how we are treated in bad times.

So far our hotel in Dubai waved all cancellation fees, car parking at Heathrow returned our money in 2 days and our taxi company within 5 days, these companies will retain our custom!

I agree that it is impossible to get a straight answer to our questions,  at the moment we are in unprecedented territory, but a little honesty and clarity would be helpful. We are both retired so have income coming in, sadly there are people out there who cannot afford for this money to be tied up till goodness knows when, they need that money to get them through, what will be difficult times. We all know that Azamara are not the cheapest so we will all have a fair amount of money tied up, we also know that we pay the balance far in advance of our cruises.  We will not be cruising with anyone again until there is an effective treatment or vaccine, I doubt anyone will be cruising this year! 
I hope you have more luck with your Cc company than we have had with ours so far. I think TA’s are muddying the waters!! Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riocca said:

You’re lucky with your car park. Our Manchester airport car park booking company has said they’ll give us a credit which will last for 18months. If we don’t want to accept that we have to ring up and they warn that their customer service lines are very busy. We decided to accept the credit as we are likely to need parking within the next 18 months.

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You’re lucky with your car park. Our Manchester airport car park booking company has said they’ll give us a credit which will last for 18months. If we don’t want to accept that we have to ring up and they warn that their customer service lines are very busy. We decided to accept the credit as we are likely to need parking within the next 18 months.

Holiday Extras gave us nothing back when our 18 day cruise was cancelled the day we were due to fly out to San Francisco because we didn’t give them 24 hours notice of the cancellation. After all this is over, there are companies that will shine and companies that will have shown their true colours. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I think that’s what’s so frustrating. Azamara are making the same mistakes as they made pre cruise cancellation with an appalling lack of communication. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . .  but it appears no one has  received any communication from Azamara since their cruise cancellation. 

Not quite right, as SOME  PEOPLE  HAVE  RECEIVED  REFUND,,  PARTIAL  REFUND,  FCC,  the earliest of those I recollect being FCC 4 or 5 days after Azamara cancelled Quest's 17 March cruise on 10 March. Posted on the 28 March Roll Call on 19 March. Other lucky people have comments scattered through various topics in the Forum.

Edited by Baynanno1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, tiggertom said:

Holiday Extras gave us nothing back when our 18 day cruise was cancelled the day we were due to fly out to San Francisco because we didn’t give them 24 hours notice of the cancellation. After all this is over, there are companies that will shine and companies that will have shown their true colours. 

I cancelled our May  booking for parking a few weeks ago. Holiday Extras say they are negotiating with their suppliers. I won't hold my breath. If I don't receive a credit or a refund....I shall remember.

• Like 1

The problem is also for any customers that have a balance due shortly. Will they just cancel the cruise and lose their deposit? Would you want to pay a full balance, wondering if the cruise is cancelled that you will might have to fight for a refund? I can see some difficult decisions for people. 

16 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

https://apple.news/Ayhk_vWRQTPinz5EpuOHsMg

a positive move now by ABTA. 

That is much clearer, however we have only been promised a refund of our deposit on 31st July, if we don’t book another cruise. We have no idea when the balance will be refunded. We have an idea that they have received the refund from Azamara, but obviously we cannot confirm this. I feel for people who are being made to wait for a refund, who need the money to get them through the next few months. 
By the time we get our deposit back, they will have had our money for 10 months. I do think ABTA have brought this in to stop people doing chargebacks on their credit card.

We have one of these cruise credit certificates, but only for our deposit, we cannot get a clear answer about our balance!

This is all very worrying as many more people will be entering the refund process in the coming weeks given the CDC stop order. I hope the various providers manage to get their house in order and stop making it so difficult for loyal customers to get their money back.  I am experiencing some very good providers and some nightmares in this connection.  I do hope Azamara does not go on the nightmare list.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

I am going to dive in here because I am waiting for a sizable refund from Celebrity and noticed the RCCL, Celebrity and now Azamara boards all have the same customer concerns. From what I have read RCCL did arrange new lines of credit and drew down a total of $3.4 billion in cash from existing and the new LOCs. I have deposits on a couple of upcoming Azamara cruises. My primary concern is the refund for the cancelled March 18) Australia cruise and shore excursions  scheduled to sail March 20. My issue is I keep getting different stories from Celebrity(Azamara parent). First, I am told 10- 14 days for refund. Then I am told the credit is with my bank(bank says no), then I am told another10-14 days. Now I am reading it is 30 business days(isn’t everyday a business day for cruise companies?).

We love these guys (Celebrity/Azamara) and have a total of 7 upcoming cruises booked with them thru 2021. But, I really don’t like getting answers that aren’t accurate.

When they create expectations(10-14 day refunds twice) then not to deliver on them is unacceptable. 

31 minutes ago, Sticks5315 said:

Now I am reading it is 30 business days(isn’t everyday a business day for cruise companies?).

We love these guys (Celebrity/Azamara) and have a total of 7 upcoming cruises booked with them thru 2021. But, I really don’t like getting answers that aren’t accurate.

When they create expectations(10-14 day refunds twice) then not to deliver on them is unacceptable. 

Everyday is not a business day for cruise companies.  Corporate accounting would be closed.

I agree that cruise lines should be more forthcoming, but they are acting like most businesses right now.  Typical accounts payable in this economy, which was usually 45 days for some, may now be 90.  Many of us aren't getting paid or are having some of our compensation deferred.  I am pretty confident that RCCL brands will refund deposits and I'll be patient.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I am pretty confident that RCCL brands will refund deposits and I'll be patient.  

Not sure about that, as if booked via Celebrity UK, it is in fact a NRD.

We have a Celebrity cruise booked for August 1st, which I am almost certain we will cancel, due to being over 70. Celebrity want a Drs letter to say we are fit to cruise, which I won’t get as I have had a letter from the Drs Surgery telling me that I should Social Shield, due to multiple long term conditions.

Gov.UK have also told people over 70 not to cruise. I’m not sure how long that advice lasts, but if you break that advice, then your Travel Insurance is null & void.

I’m just waiting for a decision to be made regarding the latest CDC advise, which will possibly run for a further 100 days. Maybe if then Celebrity cancel, I MIGHT see my deposit refunded.

BTW, I cancelled excursions on 10th March and the money for those was refunded to my Credit Card on 27th March, even thought the e mail said 5-10 working days.

3BE06A8F-E56E-4189-95DC-1EBB447AEFCB.png

We were due to sail on the Quest on 28 March, the cruise was cancelled on 14 March at which time I contacted Azamara to advise that we would be requesting a full refund of our cruise package from our UK TA. I also requested a refund of the Indulgence Package cost, £1050.30 + £18.81 for an additional shore excursion cost. 

To date we have received no acknowledgment from Azamara but did get the £18.81 refunded to our CC last week.

This evening I am dumfounded to receive the following email:

Dear Guest,

We're reaching out to you regarding your cancelled 28-MAR-20 sailing onboard Azamara Quest. We know how much time and effort go into planning the perfect cruise, and we're very sorry for the impact on your vacation.

As promised, we've sent the details of your Future Cruise Credit (FCC) to your Travel Advisor. We hope you'll use it to plan an awesome cruise vacation with us in the near future. Once you're ready to book your next cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor to redeem your FCC.

Thank you for your cooperation during this unfortunate situation. We wish you good health and hope to have the opportunity to sail with you under different circumstances soon.

Sincerely,

Azamara Cruises

We do not want a FCC especially as we feel that Azamara have handled this whole matter so badly, causing stress & anxiety with the late cancellation of the cruise & now trying to wriggle out of issuing a refund. Life is difficult enough at the moment without having to deal with more stress.

I hope everyone stays safe & hope we can come out of this with our health & sanity.

Pat 

• Like 1

Many booking sites, airlines and tour companies are also dragging their feet on refunds. I got my refund from AZ for a May 14 cruise that I canceled on March 9, but it took about a month and I got 50% FCC and 50% refund. 

Refunds will take even even longer once more cruises past May 11 are cancelled.

good luck. Azamara makes many mistakes normally and esp during this period, probably due to the volume they are processing. So hopefully yours will get sorted out. Glad I didn’t have to fight it out with them.