Possible spam "Medallion Class update" email?

rocklinmom

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Almost certainly phishing...

The press link in the email actually points somewhere else.

I don't even think ocean.com is a carnival domain.

We get these at work all the time ... from the security guys.

They are trying to trick you into clicking, but if you report phishing, you get an atta-boy.

Hugs and kisses to your security guys...more companies should do this.

Its not legitimate. Look at it, there are several inconsistencies:

• It is not from any princess or Carnival email address. "Ocean.com" does not exist.
  • it claims to be from "your Carnival Corporation MedallionClass  Account". I do not have such an account (and yes, I did get the email). 
  • It uses the Princess "Sea Witch" logo but does not use the word "Princess" anywhere in the email. 
  • I can find no mention of such a change in policy on the app or on Princess.com.

Now, if you did click on the link, I suspect you  - as well as I because I did without thinking about it, clicked the link - will get more spam. So, be careful what you click on in the future.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This is not a reccomendation one way or the other but below is my experience.

(ocean.com is the address of the old Princess ocean medallion site. )

I clicked it and it takes a long time to load but does indeed go to the ocean.com site. However, before actually visiting the site I did the following:

I checked the link to see what it says. The mail appears to come from ocean.com but the link redirects to: post.spmailtechno.com

Trend Micro is a major anti-virus company that has a free URL checker online. The URL checker is located at: https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

I put the suspect URL into the checker and the results are below.

image.png.920674724c87a7924cef5c24a10b7856.png

I stand corrected. I did use the Trend Micro as well as Google Transparency Report on "Ocean.com". It reported, "No unsafe content found." And after the "Ocean.com" website was restarted 3 times (it kept being stopped due to the amount of time to load) it finally loaded. This website does list "Carnival Corporation" and the 9 cruise lines. 

However, my earlier concerns - (1) no carnival account, (2) the use of the Sea Witch logo without any use of the word "Princess" and (3) no mention of a policy change on Princess.com or the iPhone app - remain. It is just likely that CC's department of emails can't figure out how to write a decent email.

13 minutes ago, Cool_Dude said:

I stand corrected. I did use the Trend Micro as well as Google Transparency Report on "Ocean.com". It reported, "No unsafe content found." And after the "Ocean.com" website was restarted 3 times (it kept being stopped due to the amount of time to load) it finally loaded. This website does list "Carnival Corporation" and the 9 cruise lines. 

However, my earlier concerns - (1) no carnival account, (2) the use of the Sea Witch logo without any use of the word "Princess" and (3) no mention of a policy change on Princess.com or the iPhone app - remain. It is just likely that CC's department of emails can't figure out how to write a decent email.

You quoted the post I revised so as not to get flamed but didn't flame me. Thanks for that. I decided it might be pot stirring so I deleted the content. Glad you were able to actually get through and see it wasn't actually a nasty gram. Perhaps there are a bazillion people trying to get to the site and it's heavily impacted.

HOWEVER:

Just so folks know... There is nothing very exciting or earth shaking on the site...

4 hours ago, ukestrummer said:

I got one also, did not load up fast enough, so just clicked off. I did medallion 28 day on Crown in Sept. where I think the TA across pond, people got on SICK and spread like wildfire where MANY were hacking all over ship, BAD FLU that spread where couple months later, STILL posts of almost dying, some did on TA, we both had it for longer than 2 months off ship. WONDER if this was START of the China Flu now

We were on this TA also...mine turned into pneumonia and was VERY sick for over 2 months...dr sent me home but was not allowed out for 2 weeks, but was so sick that I couldn't go anywhere even if I wanted to...have had same thoughts about that “flu” as you do!

Were you on the Crown the 1st leg British Isles before TA? Yes MANY on Cruise Critic, "Barry" website  commented for quite awhile AFTER getting off at Ft Lauderdale that they were sick for months, many on ship were coughing no matter where you were, during shows you could not get away from them.

yes -we were on the british isles before the TA...just started to feel normal in late February...I have had pneumonia 3 other times but never felt like this...it felt like I was drowning-don’t want to go through that again!

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I went to the Princess Medallionclass FAQ page.  That phone number "United States: 844 525 0942" is the number listed on the Princess website for questions. But we agree with the above posters, the email does not look professionally done and didn't click the link.  

Scam e-mails will often include legitimate information to make the e-mail look more like a real one.

The senders count on someone to click on the embedded link, not call the real phone number.

In any event, if this was really about the Princess medallion, it would not say Carnival Corporation but would instead say Princess.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Italy52 said:

No, just to let people see what was sent. No harm intended.  People inform people of things all the time on this board.  Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy to see that the potentially harmful link was removed.

If no harm was intended, might I suggest...

If you wanted to post somethink potentially harmful for people to see:

Post a screenshot of the item.

or, remove the link from the post.

or, at least convert the link to text so it can't be clicked.

Our email program (Windows LiveMail) allows us to right-click on an email in the list, then click "Properties." The address of the sender is shown without having to open the email. As soon as I saw that it was a random email address, I deleted it. Also, it went to our Spam folder...

12 hours ago, Coral said:

The sad thing is that I think the email is real. Just a crappy email.

It's a real email. Just not from Princess or Ocean.com. My email reader has a feature where if I hover over the URL it will show where it actually comes from.

3 minutes ago, billco said:

It's a real email. Just not from Princess or Ocean.com. My email reader has a feature where if I hover over the URL it will show where it actually comes from.

yeah, but someone who knows what they are doing can "double-blind" the actual end email address/link … shocking huh?

18 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

I just called Princess there main number at 1-800-774-6237 the girl said the e-mail was from Princess.

She even received one herself. She said ”It’s not Spam’’. 
Tony

Looks like you are right. I called the number in the e-mail (1-844-525-0942), which is the Ocean.com number and she also verified that they have been sending out e-mails.

• Like 1

I knew it was a valid email.

Carnival is the one who brought the idea of "Ocean Medallion" to their ships and ocean.com is a valid domain. While Princess ships were the first to use them, it is a Carnival Corp technology. Other lines most likely will adopt this technology once they are done with Princess ships.

As odd as it sounds, I look at emails all day from my users who question the validity of the emails. I knew it was valid and posted such yesterday - just poorly done.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1