Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It doesn't really matter. It is entertaining.

Yup.  That's all that matters.  Especially as an "escape" from real life worries.  Micheline really likes ghost and true crime types of shows (e.g. Joe Kenda on Homicide Hunter).  Me...not so much.  I really like technology and more future focused shows.  Micheline...no so much.  If everyone was the same, it would be a boring world.  Fortunately, there are a lot of things that we like to watch together.  It's all about being entertained (and possibly learning something).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We went to one of our favorite restaurants last night called Lagniappe (pronounced Lan-yap).  It's a creole word that means something like "a little something extra".  We've tried about 1/3 of their menu by now and haven't found anything yet that wasn't excellent.  We got there early for happy hour but didn't have a reservation so we sat and ate at the bar.  I decided to try their house Old Fashioned, that they called "L Fashioned".  It's Woodford Reserve Bourbon and creole bitters poured over a sugar cube with muddled orange and Luxardo cherries.  A little closer to the original Old Fashioned recipe than Sea Dog's with the sugar cube but the creole bitters was a nice twist.  It looks and tastes great, but I think I preferred the taste of Sea Dog's better.

IMG_7361.thumb.jpg.f19e6a6e813aa1bc80f88c0429ddba49.jpg

We met a couple sitting next to us who were headed to Alaska today for a couple of months.  Some people try to visit every state in the US.  They were trying to visit every county (called boroughs in Alaska) in every state.  They had been to Alaska before and checked off 5 of the more populated and easier to get to boroughs.  This trip, they were visiting the rest of the boroughs and the other parts of the state called census areas.  Since many parts of Alaska are only accessible by plane or boat, they have 27 different flights set up to shuttle them around, and a long list of hotels/B&Bs for them to stay.  Sounds a little like @island lady's adventures in Maine, but even more rural in many cases.  I'm very interested in talking to them when they get back.  

Guessing the northern latitudes!  😉   Then again even Juneau is only accessible by boat or plane.  

The ice road up to Point Barrow is really...really desolate.  

We drove up to Fairbanks, but took a bush plane up and over the Arctic Circle.  

20200808_154600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

The ice road up to Point Barrow is really...really desolate.  

They described themselves as a little anti-social.  I think they'll fit in in Alaska.  I like to avoid crowds, but don't think I could handle that much isolation.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sheal said:

BTW, how does Bucky hike in sandals without breaking a toe?

LOL...my sister asked me the same thing.  This was a driving tour along the "loop" with plenty of stops along the way to literally "stop and smell the roses".  😉   This was a stop at "Blueberry Hill" on the loop.  Didn't have to walk far to see the view and lots of really big rocks!  Was nice to have the sun roof open on the SUV for the tour...pretend convertible.  😄 

A real hike will be on Thursday.  Hiking boots, backpack picnic....since today is another one of those rainy, cold, drizzle days.  Oh well, supposed to be nice by tomorrow.  🙂 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

They described themselves as a little anti-social.  I think they'll fit in in Alaska.  I like to avoid crowds, but don't think I could handle that much isolation.

That is what we liked about our stay for a couple of weeks in Homer.  It's isolated...but full town just 12 miles away...including McDonalds.  😄 

• Like 1

BTW...stopped at the Farm Stand on the way back to the house.  Naturally Bucky gave me a sad look and said "What no pie?" when I walked back to the SUV with my purchases.  Back in to pick him up a freshly made Maine Wild Blueberry pie to have at the house.  Happy Bucky...happy life!  

20210720_144013.jpg

• Like 15

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

My goodness, I haven't been on since page 921, and I just haven't had the time to read what has been going on for the past 34 pages!!  We've been busy with yard work since we had the 8 trees taken down.  The machinery used to take the trees out left quite a bit of gouged tracks throughout the property.  It couldn't be helped, we totally understood that, and I'm just thankful to finally have had them removed.  Jim and I have been putting in new soil and planting new grass.   With the weather we've been having, the grass is growing quite rapidly.  

This past Saturday was our 50th Anniversary, and on Sunday, our three daughters, sons-in-law, and  seven grandchildren helped us to celebrate at a beautiful waterfront restaurant in town.  It was a wonderful, never to be forgotten evening.  We feel truly blessed!

@lenquirate66  Wishing you a very Happy Birthday this Saturday, Lenny, and best wishes for a quick

and successful surgery for your DW!

@dani negreanu...Dani, your husband's "out of box" art is awesome!!

Congratulations, what a milestone!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Absolutely...if you like bourbon.  Micheline tried a sip.  Nope, nope, nope, followed by a drink of water to get the taste out of her mouth.

I’m with Micheline.  I’ve tried to like it, but just a big nope for me.  
As for the people you met on their way to Alaska, it would be fascinating to hear their adventures. Not something I’d ever do but I would enjoy hearing about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I never feel guilty. 😉

Neither does Bucky...he has a huge sweet tooth.  Always eating the desserts and lots of candy on hand all the time.  And of course he is skinny as a rail, one of those that frustrates the rest of us that simply smell something sweet and gain pounds!!  😖

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Neither does Bucky...he has a huge sweet tooth.  Always eating the desserts and lots of candy on hand all the time.  And of course he is skinny as a rail, one of those that frustrates the rest of us that simply smell something sweet and gain pounds!!  😖

I do too. But Kathy won't let me go trick or treating. 🍫

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

@Luckynana Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary 

@ownedbypets  There have been a couple of sighting in the last 25 years since we have been here, but they usually don’t make it down this far. I have seen a couple of manatees in our canal. 

Do your manatees dress up like this one at LBI?

20210625_103808.jpg

20210625_103816.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, island lady said:

And of course he is skinny as a rail, one of those that frustrates the rest of us that simply smell something sweet and gain pounds!!

My best friend is like that skinny too as a rail. Same weight for the last 40 years. Can eat anything he wants. I wish I had that gene.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My best friend is like that skinny too as a rail. Same weight for the last 40 years. Can eat anything he wants. I wish I had that gene.

Me too...sigh.  Yup, Bucky has been same weight for all his adult life...except in Nam...when he was even more skinny...skin and bones looking!!  😮 

• Like 4