Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I still have it on the rocks. If I get a new bourbon I'll first try it neat to get the flavor profile. I then add a few drops of limestone water to open it up. It can really change it. Then I go to rocks. I've got some of the big ice cube balls which melt slower and really helps the bourbon.

https://www.amazon.com/glacio-Round-Ice-Cube-Molds/dp/B06WLHG56W/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2290MEKGY48A0&dchild=1&keywords=ice+cube+balls+mold+large&qid=1626884020&sprefix=ice+cube+balls%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-16

We have some like that that Maker’s Mark gave us, but we hardly ever use them.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

Our kids waited till they were married and out of the house before they told us they used to feed the gators marshmallows in the river across the street from our house. They had a Jon boat and spent hours and on AND IN the river. 

😱 Yikes.

• Like 1

Score!  Organizing the downstairs coat closet today. It’s very deep, actually an under stairs closet.  I found these, along with 2 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc waaay in the back.  They must’ve been purchased for some party or get together, then forgotten about.  The wine has already been put in the fridge.  I see some margaritas in my future 😃

CF20825B-B637-4757-A8C4-CF7167609DBE.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is not so impressive in a picture but that thing in the sky is not the moon, it is this morning's rising sun. We have so much smoke in the air from the Canadian fires that you can actually look right at the sun. Normally it blinds me as I drive into the hospital parking lot. A front coming through tonight is supposed to clear the sky.

20210721_060534.thumb.jpg.faa0d7a936c2f0e2d70b66033cbd1cbe.jpg

Hazy here in Minneapolis. My eyes are very itchy.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Score!  Organizing the downstairs coat closet today. It’s very deep, actually an under stairs closet.  I found these, along with 2 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc waaay in the back.  They must’ve been purchased for some party or get together, then forgotten about.  The wine has already been put in the fridge.  I see some margaritas in my future 😃

CF20825B-B637-4757-A8C4-CF7167609DBE.jpeg

Nice find! 🍹

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

The brain eating amoeba in Florida lakes in the summertime keep us out of lakes. Usually at least we know which lakes have gators. 

That is another good reason to avoid a lake.  Seems I read some sad story every year of someone contacting the disease either swimming or in the water system in general.  I'm thinking it must be wells but I could be wrong.

BTW, How do you know what lakes have gators?    After I posted I saw that ReneeFL mentioned the gators are not such an issue in FLL.  Does it get to hot for them or more canals vs. lakes? LOL

• Like 1

The answer is canals.  Guess I should have kept on reading.

@Momof3gurlz  LOL.  I was sorting through the basement looking for mojito ingredients this weekend and came across a bottle of Patron that someone gave my husband for his 50th.  That was 6 years ago.  Found a splash of Tito's too that DD left behind.  DD loves margarita's too.

BTW,  Someone mentioned making a pitcher of mojitos at some point.  I believe it was @Sunshine3601?  Could you give me your recipe? I tried one last weekend and it tasted like gasoline.  

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Sheal said:

@Momof3gurlz  LOL.  I was sorting through the basement looking for mojito ingredients this weekend and came across a bottle of Patron that someone gave my husband for his 50th.  That was 6 years ago.  Found a splash of Tito's too that DD left behind.  DD loves margarita's too.

BTW,  Someone mentioned making a pitcher of mojitos at some point.  I believe it was @Sunshine3601?  Could you give me your recipe? I tried one last weekend and it tasted like gasoline.  

Thanks!

I would love the recipe too.  I like the one I use for an individual mojito, just not sure how it would translate for a pitcher.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sheal said:

That is another good reason to avoid a lake.  Seems I read some sad story every year of someone contacting the disease either swimming or in the water system in general.  I'm thinking it must be wells but I could be wrong.

BTW, How do you know what lakes have gators?    After I posted I saw that ReneeFL mentioned the gators are not such an issue in FLL.  Does it get to hot for them or more canals vs. lakes? LOL

Gators that reach a certain length are removed and relocated. 

The canals might not be welcoming to them because they want sunny banks where they can lie. The FLL canals are mostly bulkheads. 
In the rest of Florida, the saying goes “If you’ve got a pond, you’ve got a gator”.

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Thanks!

yes, I make pitchers of Mojitos on a regular basis.     

Here is the general recipe.   Now, I do kinda wing it and don't always stick to "x" amount of something. 

First I make my own simply syrup and grow my own Mint leaves.     Must have fresh mint leaves and fresh limes.

Simple Syrup is easy - I take a large bowl and put 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water and microwave it for 1 minute, remove and stir then microwave for another minute.      then refrigerate to cool.

Once simple syrup is cooled down you can then begin.

1.    need a bunch of mint leaves.     One trick I have learned over time to pick the leaves off of the stems then take a bunch in your hand and clap your hands together this helps release the oil in the leaves.     Then muddle the leaves in bottom of your pitcher, if you can. 

2.   Add juice of 2 limes

3.   Add 1 cup of simple syrup then muddle everything together a bit more

4.  Add 1 cup of white rum (I like to use Cruzan Aged White Rum made in St Croix)   https://www.cruzanrum.com/rum-collection/cruzan-aged-light-rum/

I tend to pour a little heavier than one cup (up to you)

5.  Add 1 liter of club soda

6.  add juice of 1 more lime

7.  stir then pour over ice into your glass

8.  then add a couple more mint leaves to each glass

Enjoy 🙂

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My best friend is like that skinny too as a rail. Same weight for the last 40 years. Can eat anything he wants. I wish I had that gene.

When I met my future wife for the first time I was 60 pounds overweight.

I looked like Oliver Hardy.I still had that look when we got married almost two years later .Then I went on a strict diet and got down to 185 .This morning I still weigh 185.I am 6’5.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I still have it on the rocks. If I get a new bourbon I'll first try it neat to get the flavor profile. I then add a few drops of limestone water to open it up. It can really change it. Then I go to rocks. I've got some of the big ice cube balls which melt slower and really helps the bourbon.

https://www.amazon.com/glacio-Round-Ice-Cube-Molds/dp/B06WLHG56W/ref=sr_1_16?crid=2290MEKGY48A0&dchild=1&keywords=ice+cube+balls+mold+large&qid=1626884020&sprefix=ice+cube+balls%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-16

I go back and forth between balls/spheres which melt slower (I use these) and cubes that melt a little faster but are easier to make as clear ice (I use this mold).  If it's just me, I'll use the sphere.  If I have a visitor and want to impress them, I use the clear ice cube. 

The cubes take a little more effort to make since it works best if you remove the mold a little less than 24 hours after putting it in the freezer.  Otherwise, the bottom section also freezes and it's harder to separate the clear cubes on top from the "dirty" cubes on the bottom.  

4 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Lagniappe is on Amelia Island?

How was the food?

if you want to make a splash, try Salt at the Ritz Carlton. 

Yes...it's on Amelia Island.  It's by the Harris Teeter grocery store, if you know where that is.  Highly recommended.  Salt is on our list to try.  It's only about a 10 minute walk from our house but requires dressing up more than we usually do.  Maybe for our anniversary dinner in September.

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I go back and forth between balls/spheres which melt slower (I use these) and cubes that melt a little faster but are easier to make as clear ice (I use this mold).  If it's just me, I'll use the sphere.  If I have a visitor and want to impress them, I use the clear ice cube. 

The cubes take a little more effort to make since it works best if you remove the mold a little less than 24 hours after putting it in the freezer.  Otherwise, the bottom section also freezes and it's harder to separate the clear cubes on top from the "dirty" cubes on the bottom.  

I like those. They look easier to separate the mold from the ice. Mine are a little bit difficult. You have to get your fingers in there to get them out. I'd like to get some clear ice molds. Your right they are impressive to guests. Most of time I'll just put some cubes from the ice maker in the glass and do it the lazy way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Neither does Bucky...he has a huge sweet tooth.  Always eating the desserts and lots of candy on hand all the time.  And of course he is skinny as a rail, one of those that frustrates the rest of us that simply smell something sweet and gain pounds!!  😖

Bucky has a good head of hair too Pat.

• Like 5

Just got sad news.  We were going to leave for  Lakeside Ohio Friday to vacation with my 3 daughters families and my brother and sister were coming.  I just tested positive and a grandchild tested positive.  Looks like they will all cancel now.  We were all looking forward to Skyline Chili and one of the daughters was planning to visit Cedar Point.  It’s a big bummer but thankful it’s not worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They look easier to separate the mold from the ice.

The Zoku sphere molds work great.  The silicone is flexible and the ice ball pops right out.  If I think of it, I'll put some extras in the freezer in a ziplock bag and leave 2 of the mold in the freezer ready to use at a moments notice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Just got sad news.  We were going to leave for  Lakeside Ohio Friday to vacation with my 3 daughters families and my brother and sister were coming.  I just tested positive and a grandchild tested positive.  Looks like they will all cancel now.  We were all looking forward to Skyline Chili and one of the daughters was planning to visit Cedar Point.  It’s a big bummer but thankful it’s not worse.

That is devastating news.

Hopefully you have little or no illness.

• Like 3

As of right now I feel like I have a bad summer cold. Stuffed up head, headache, and mild fever.  If we were not planning on leaving I probably would not of got tested.  Tomorrow morning I have a hospital appointment to get Covid Therapy to lessen the chance of severity.  As of where it happened I will not speculate.  This new variant is so contagious, it could of came from anywhere.  I don’t want anyone to feel guilty so I am not going to make a "logical guess" . I feel no one knowingly brought it to me.  My wife is still in good health.

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you recover soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheal said:

….BTW, How do you know what lakes have gators?    After I posted I saw that ReneeFL mentioned the gators are not such an issue in FLL.  Does it get to hot for them or more canals vs. lakes? LOL

Gators are an issue in Florida, but not really on the canal that I live on. It’s not a small one. They are more in the ponds, lakes and the smaller canals that are more west of me. There are also canals that I call canals to nowhere. Sometimes they are just the length of a block. Here is a picture I took of our canal back in November when it flooded due to hurricane ETA. I had never seen the water this high above the seawall.

Screenshot_20210721-180952_Gallery.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Ahh, that stinks!    Hopefully everyone has mild or no symptoms and you can reschedule for sometime in August.     Take care😍

45 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Well, that sucks. Hopefully you and you grandchild come through as best as possible. 

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thankfully so far it has not effected my taste!  With a cruise coming up in October, I would hate not being able to taste the food!

I like how you think. 😁

• Like 2