Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Most wall ovens are installed about 30 inches from the floor.   You don't want to install a wall oven just a couple inches off the floor, defeats the whole purpose of a wall oven vs. a one piece stove/cooktop unit.      So unless you and your wife are related to the Jolly Green Giant I don't see you being able to reach a microwave above a double oven.

Well right now the top of our microwave is about 65 inches off the floor over our stove/range...........with the double oven and micro wave over top, total height would be 50 inches for double oven and 14 inches for microwave.........so what's the real difference/ Kind of a wash as far as height goes...........Plus really just how often would we be using the bottom oven.

Btw, My wife is just under 5ft tall. She can use the bottom oven lol.  I'm 5'10" I can use the microwave 🙂

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't know if you will have the counter space for this, but we like our wall oven with wall microwave over it, and a second Breville counter-top oven.  The Breville is large enough to truly act as a second oven (and often a first oven) plus we use it as a toaster, air fryer, pizza maker, etc.  

I'd be careful of a double oven with microwave over it.  Micheline is 5' 1 3/4" (the 3/4" is very important to her) and could not reach the microwave in a house we looked at.  It was one of the reasons that we decided not to buy the house.

Also, if you can squeeze it in somewhere, I'd go for 2 sinks.  One can be used for prep while the other is used for cleaning.  If they are slightly spread out, it lets 2 people work in the kitchen at the same time without bumping into each other.  And I fully agree with lower drawers, or pull-out shelves if you want cabinet faces.  So much easier.

That's an issue with this remodel counter space will be limited. The added counter space in the remodel will be the 10' x 6' island.

Putting in a second sink might be costly because the down stairs below is a finished basement.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Maybe one of these options for the microwave.   They both look decent.    I like the idea of the drawer microwave.   Heck you probably going to spend around $50K for the kitchen remodel what's another $1000 for a microwave.

image.png.3056ed67322bc870badc7a7e0209d5a4.pngimage.png.7fe5621bb504dd71782ebb78c8ad6efe.png 

I wish it was only going to cost  $50,000............I really think we are going to be closer to $80,000

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I have double ovens.  There is a drawer under them.  The bottom oven is just right for my short arms.  The top one which is on top of the bottom one is ok but it is a bit high especially for large items.

With the double oven and Microwave set up, there would be no drawer under the double ovens.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Just curious, and pls. don't take it wrong -- why 2 ovens?

Speaking of the "drawer microwave" -- personally, I don't like the idea of bending over for any type of "oven". The microwave in the first picture is perfectly positioned IMHO.

OTOH, all our lower cabinets are drawers.

We have a double sink, and it is very useful.

My wife thinks if we ever sell the house the double oven for our priced house will be what people are looking for and get the price we are looking for.

I(we) use the microwave a lot, I'm not to sure I would like the microwave that low in a drawer in the island. I rather have the height of it just like it currently is.

My wife wants just a single bowl farmhouse sink 36"................Right now we have a stainless steel double and don't really like it. The farmhouse sink we are looking at is copper.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was surprised too but it is a film that could see winning. I think it will do well at the Oscar’s. I actually did not vote for it as best ensemble. I did however get 8 of the winners so I felt pretty good about my voting. You always hate to vote and then see none of your votes win. When you do get it right you feel validated by your peers.

My friend was not at the SAG awards.He told me that two of his friends (actors) shared his opinion of not liking Power Of The Dog.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Seems like too much for one wall space.  
Also, it depends on why you want/need double ovens. If just for the additional oven (great for holidays, entertaining, etc), maybe a regular slide in range with oven, then one wall oven with microwave above.  If it’s to avoid bending to access the oven, this wouldn’t be a good option. 
I don’t have double ovens but would love to; just not willing to remodel the entire kitchen to get them.  

Also, we had an inlaw suite in the basement with a full kitchen............so that is another oven. lol.

Lots of things I don't understand.............but my wife wants the double oven...........What am I to say? lol

Another thought is to put the Double oven and Microwave set up in the corner on an angle............I have seen some kitchen set up like that, So in this picture the ovens, micro would be to the right of the fridge in this picture in the corner with a lower cabinet and upper cabinet of some sort between fridge and ovens.

We do have a little room to move the fridge to the left if we have to.......the dining room is in that white space yo see to left of fridge and at the end of the island.

pic 3.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Also, we had an inlaw suite in the basement with a full kitchen............so that is another oven. lol.

Lots of things I don't understand.............but my wife wants the double oven...........What am I to say? lol

Another thought is to put the Double oven and Microwave set up in the corner on an angle............I have seen some kitchen set up like that, So in this picture the ovens, micro woulkd be to the right of the fridge in this picture.

My wife wants a new kitchen which I don’t oppose currently she cooks a few meals a year , but threatens to do lots more cooking when she retires in a few years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Well right now the top of our microwave is about 65 inches off the floor over our stove/range...........with the double oven and micro wave over top, total height would be 50 inches for double oven and 14 inches for microwave.........so what's the real difference/ Kind of a wash as far as height goes...........Plus really just how often would we be using the bottom oven.

Btw, My wife is just under 5ft tall. She can use the bottom oven lol.  I'm 5'10" I can use the microwave 🙂

That's an issue with this remodel counter space will be limited. The added counter space in the remodel will be the 10' x 6' island.

Putting in a second sink might be costly because the down stairs below is a finished basement.

I wish it was only going to cost  $50,000............I really think we are going to be closer to $80,000

With the double oven and Microwave set up, there would be no drawer under the double ovens.

My wife thinks if we ever sell the house the double oven for our priced house will be what people are looking for and get the price we are looking for.

I(we) use the microwave a lot, I'm not to sure I would like the microwave that low in a drawer in the island. I rather have the height of it just like it currently is.

My wife wants just a single bowl farmhouse sink 36"................Right now we have a stainless steel double and don't really like it. The farmhouse sink we are looking at is copper.

Sounds well thought out and I'm sure will be beautiful when done.

I'm afraid to get priced up with today's cost for material and labor.   It is crazy how much kitchen upgrades cost these days.  

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sounds well thought out and I'm sure will be beautiful when done.

I'm afraid to get priced up with today's cost for material and labor.   It is crazy how much kitchen upgrades cost these days.  

One of my daughters has a Contractor living on her block.He did work for all his neighbors over a course of several years .We called him for an estimate.He normally does not come into condos or co-ops to do work because there are too many restrictions but he did our work as a favor to our daughter.His price was  much lower than anyone else .

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Another thought is to put the Double oven and Microwave set up in the corner on an angle............I have seen some kitchen set up like that, So in this picture the ovens, micro would be to the right of the fridge in this picture in the corner with a lower cabinet and upper cabinet of some sort between fridge and ovens.

We do have a little room to move the fridge to the left if we have to.......the dining room is in that white space yo see to left of fridge and at the end of the island.

pic 3.png

Putting the ovens to right of fridge could work.  think about countertop space.  When you come home from food shopping will you put stuff on the island or countertop to go into fridge.  Will you have enough countertop space to the right of the ovens.  Think workflow.

I remember many years ago when I did office work for a GC and being told about triangles for workflow in kitchens.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Putting the ovens to right of fridge could work.  think about countertop space.  When you come home from food shopping will you put stuff on the island or countertop to go into fridge.  Will you have enough countertop space to the right of the ovens.  Think workflow.

I remember many years ago when I did office work for a GC and being told about triangles for workflow in kitchens.

I  would think we would be using the  large island  when getting home from shopping, that is what we use now on our  current 26" x 52"island.

I should have 18inches to the right of the cook top and 36 inches of counter space to the left of the cooktop to work/prepare meals on plus the large island behind me.

So it might work out okay.

WhirlpoolWOD51EC0HS

WhirlpoolWMT50011KS

WhirlpoolWDT970SAKZ

WhirlpoolWRF757SDHZ

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I  would think we would be using the  large island  when getting home from shopping, that is what we use now on our  current 26" x 52"island.

I should have 18inches to the right of the cook top and 36 inches of counter space to the left of the cooktop to work/prepare meals on plus the large island behind me.

So it might work out okay.

WhirlpoolWOD51EC0HS

WhirlpoolWMT50011KS

WhirlpoolWDT970SAKZ

It is always nice to have countertop space next to the oven and the fridge, imo.

Will coffee maker, maybe knife set, etc be on the countertop that will be your working space?  Sorry just things to think about.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is always nice to have countertop space next to the oven and the fridge, imo.

Will coffee maker, maybe knife set, etc be on the countertop that will be your working space?  Sorry just things to think about.  

Small keurig coffee maker to right of cook top,  toaster and  small ceramic cannister holding cooking utensils, no knife set to the left of the cooktop.

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Did you mean to say “the more wine that was consumed, the more you had to turn up the tv” ?!

Actually about half of the ladies in each of my groups have wine available, but our decibels are just as high either way. 
Bunco, morning, noon or night is just plain noisy. 

• Like 2

Scenes from our late 2014 kitchen renovation.  Took it down to the sheet rock put in new flooring with in the floor heat tape.  Original house built by us (mostly DW) in 1990.  Had replaced stove top and downdraft in the original island sometime around 2000.  Changed to galley kitchen in 2014.  Looks much the same now.

DFF671F2-9333-4FB4-8729-E306DEC885F0.jpeg

A50D76D1-E8A2-4021-A7E1-876AC1821377.jpeg

9889E9D8-6358-4564-9A50-DA8230B6416A.jpeg

9E0E3A39-26B4-42A2-B9B8-F472270B50B1.jpeg

58D98651-DAB2-4B4D-AA5F-DBE8489129E3.jpeg

A997DA80-BE07-4495-8817-1CF193EB5FF8.jpeg

CBD5B50A-4C5C-480A-BC29-E857171AEC5D.jpeg

38CF3068-582C-4C7F-ABE4-2439E6C1C384.jpeg

2283C8C7-22EE-454E-9E89-621873CE1519.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Small keurig coffee maker to right of cook top,  toaster and  small ceramic cannister holding cooking utensils, no knife set to the left of the cooktop.

Our DD and SIL worked really hard to get the kitchen in their new house right. 
it has tons of drawers. This is their knife drawer, instead of a knife block on the counter. 

778F91EA-7EA5-4273-ACF4-101759F9144F.jpeg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Scenes from our late 2014 kitchen renovation.  Took it down to the sheet rock put in new flooring with in the floor heat tape.  Original house built by us (mostly DW) in 1990.  Had replaced stove top and downdraft in the original island sometime around 2000.  Changed to galley kitchen in 2014.  Looks much the same now.

DFF671F2-9333-4FB4-8729-E306DEC885F0.jpeg

A50D76D1-E8A2-4021-A7E1-876AC1821377.jpeg

9889E9D8-6358-4564-9A50-DA8230B6416A.jpeg

9E0E3A39-26B4-42A2-B9B8-F472270B50B1.jpeg

58D98651-DAB2-4B4D-AA5F-DBE8489129E3.jpeg

A997DA80-BE07-4495-8817-1CF193EB5FF8.jpeg

CBD5B50A-4C5C-480A-BC29-E857171AEC5D.jpeg

38CF3068-582C-4C7F-ABE4-2439E6C1C384.jpeg

2283C8C7-22EE-454E-9E89-621873CE1519.jpeg

Has a mid-century modern vibe.  Very cool.   I find the use of drawers extremely efficient.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I spent Sunday in the mountains with mom exploring, I’ve got one more day to wrap up on the Mexico vacation report, started packing tonight for Savannah and Vegas, and am sooooo happy that my sister and her bf made it to Orlando tonight from France. This is his first time to the US. Can’t wait to meet him on Thursday. Off to download google translate… 🥴

69427695-0A36-4B47-A899-1D3B17AB3168.thumb.jpeg.a327f852c60941c06ff95b91a58cdbac.jpeg

2 calls today with wedding vendors and I think we’re done and ready!!! Nate and I fly out Thursday morning at 7am 

She looks really happy, she is going to be a beautiful bride. Does she speak french? Does he know any english?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

If we still had our house, the 2 kitchen items I would change would be installing a faucet on the wall on top of the stovetop and NO CABINETS, just pull out deep drawers.  I only cook large holiday meals a few times a year, so I don't dwell on ovens.  We had a great french door fridge with a bottom freezer.

Sample faucet:

Modern Farmhouse Wall Mount Pot Filler Faucet,Brass Kitchen Faucet with Double Handle - 18.3" x 13.5" - Chrome/Clear

Wish me luck.  I have a 9am appointment to renew my driver's license tomorrow (yes since covid they give out appointments).  I wonder how long we'll be there.....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

I spent Sunday in the mountains with mom exploring, I’ve got one more day to wrap up on the Mexico vacation report, started packing tonight for Savannah and Vegas, and am sooooo happy that my sister and her bf made it to Orlando tonight from France. This is his first time to the US. Can’t wait to meet him on Thursday. Off to download google translate… 🥴

69427695-0A36-4B47-A899-1D3B17AB3168.thumb.jpeg.a327f852c60941c06ff95b91a58cdbac.jpeg

2 calls today with wedding vendors and I think we’re done and ready!!! Nate and I fly out Thursday morning at 7am 

Good looking couple.  Love a French accent.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, singinalot said:

oh! I have 2 sisters ☺️ This is my middle sister. She’s almost 32 and maid of honor. She’s lived in France since 2014 and doesn’t want to come back to the states really. She barely spoke French when she moved there and now she’s fluent. Her bf is French and barely speaks English. He’s meeting the whole fam this weekend.

She’s maid of honor for my baby sister (the one getting married) ❤️

You must all be in a tizzy between the wedding and having your family together. What a glorious weekend this will be!

I hope everything goes perfectly, and any minor glitches will be family stories that become part of the wonderful memories to pass down. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Changed to galley kitchen in 2014.  Looks much the same now.

4 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Has a mid-century modern vibe.  Very cool.   I find the use of drawers extremely efficient.  

Same here.

Lots of Corning which are excellent, and love the dishes' pattern.

Is there a cat, beside OWD and R.?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, singinalot said:

oh! I have 2 sisters ☺️ This is my middle sister. She’s almost 32 and maid of honor. She’s lived in France since 2014 and doesn’t want to come back to the states really. She barely spoke French when she moved there and now she’s fluent. Her bf is French and barely speaks English. He’s meeting the whole fam this weekend.

She’s maid of honor for my baby sister (the one getting married) ❤️

How lovely to have sisters. 💕

Have a wonderful weekend with your family and enjoy the wedding 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

Good morning.

39°F cloudy and windy here in North East England.

Nothing planned for today.

We have been watching the news on Ukraine all morning.

Prayers 🙏 for the people of Ukraine.

I hope everyone is safe and well on here.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1