Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've got friends in Ponte Vedra Beach who recently moved from their house on the ocean side of the Intracoastal Waterway to the land side.  It was partly because their kids are all grown and they didn't need as big a house anymore, and partly because they wanted to get a little further away from the coast for storms/storm surge.  It's amazing how much of a difference moving 3 miles to the other side of the ICW makes in terms of storm impact (and house prices 😁). 

My brother is lucky his house has severe damage and it will be months before they can move back but his brother in law has a beautiful house a few miles away that he will be living at for free and he is fully insured . Go Bills hopefully Allen can play . 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We're good also.  A little beach erosion from the storm surge, but nothing like the video posted earlier.  We have a series of dunes between our houses and beaches that provide natural protection.  No other significant impact. 

Oh, good news, Bob!  The surges from the Sea are so destructive at times, as she so recently demonstrated.  It's good to hear that all is well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Catching up on 158 new posts due to binge reading GenerationX's Beyond review.😁

Congrats Debbie and Eric (and Chris and Donna).
Congrats to Owen. Love your pictures Andrew!

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Deb and Greg and Linda hope you all are feeling better now.
Lucas (who loves to cruise) I didn't know you changed your screen name. Hope all is good with you.
OB you are wearing sneakers!!!!!! It must be getting cold😁. Love the feet pictures!

Sorry if I missed out anyone.

New season of The Crown is on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What amazes me is the density of development that Florida has on its coasts. It is wonderful having the ocean on the other side of your back yard until that ocean decides that boundaries mean nothing to it. Then it is not so wonderful.

Natural boundaries work better than man made ones. Some areas just build to close to the water

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Couldn't pay me to live there.

Even to rebuild now, can't imagine how much higher it will now be there to get homeowners insurance. It's going to go sky high for all those owners.

Many I assume will not rebuild, take the insurance money and move elsewhere for sure. There is no need for all the retired people to stay there.

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. But look at all the folks in middle of state who got flooded out. They thought they were safe being away from the ocean

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

Lucas. Did your mom pass away or was it just a difficult evening? Because really, we are here for you. So, don't worry about it. Thread moves fast. 😚

I know I've been scrolling past a lot of posts lately so apparently I've missed something here.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I think weather and taxes have something to do with it.

It's a community😉

In many cases these folks bought decades ago when it was affordable. Hopefully insurance will soften the blow of replacement 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. But look at all the folks in middle of state who got flooded out. They thought they were safe being away from the ocean

That is what happens when "flat" and "canals" are added into the equation.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know I've been scrolling past a lot of posts lately so apparently I've missed something here.

I will give you the cliff notes version.  Dani tagged Lucas because she was checking in on people.  A screen name that doesn't post here responded and it looks like Lucas has two accounts.  There are a whole bunch of posts from that account that are not what we usually see Lucas post and it looks like he was having a tough night, so there was concern that his Mom might have passed away.

Edited by reallyitsmema
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is what happens when "flat" and "canals" are added into the equation.

You need to expect storm surges living on a canal. Its the folks in Orlando area that got caught off guard.

Luckily our area is very rolling, and rivers nowhere near us.  Plus our lot is the high point of our street. Kinda hate the steep drive, though.

Seems newer developments have a lot more water retention designed in. 

I've read a lot of flooded areas may succumb to eminent domain in order increase water retention. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Isn't that the same page that you play Monopoly on?

I very carefully dropped 100 new ones this weekend.

Just makes more sense to post memes and such over there. Just be careful😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Living on the ocean is serene. You wouldn't understand. 

I get it.  We're not right on the ocean but being able to walk to see it anytime you want is just...worth it. 

I was working in Southern California in the early 90s when they were having bad wildfires.  A woman's home was burned to the ground and she planned to rebuild.  A news reporter asked her why she would rebuild in a place that could have another wildfire.  Her answer was that there are risks of natural disasters everywhere...floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, fires, etc.  She'd rather live in paradise and potentially have to shovel the ashes of her house, than shovel snow.  Interesting perspective. 

When it comes down to it, everything that really matters to us can quickly be loaded in a car.  Everything else can be replaced by insurance.  The hassle of needing to rebuild would definitely be painful, but the risk is worth it to me.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Sorry I haven't been on much, I just finished our review for Oasis Of The Seas on YouTube: Oasis Of The Seas Review

Thanks for sharing your review of the Oasis.  Just a couple of comments.  Ice and snow do not piled up under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in the winter, the port of New York is open all winter to ships.  Oasis does not sail from Bayonne in the winter because of the cold weather.  Oasis is built to sail in warmer temperatures with lots of outside activities.  Plus, all the plants in Central Park would die with the cold temperatures and snow and ice.  Oasis also clears the bridge by more than 6 inches!  I know it changes based on the tides but it is more like 6 to 8 feet.  They retract the funnels on Oasis and then they put them up after clearing the bridge.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1