Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 6/22/2023 at 9:15 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

I have never heard of garlic ice cream.  I would guess if I made it I would get to eat it all. 😋

Have you tried it?

So curiosity got me to look it up.  Looks like it is made with roasted garlic.   I love roasted garlic. I guess I could make some vanilla icecream then stir in some roasted garlic. 

One time I was eating a bulb of roasted garlic.  I was about done when Sharon came over to give me a 💋 kiss.  She about fell over.  😆 It was strong. 

I tried chocolate garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Festival many years ago. The ice cream had an interesting taste. It actually wasn’t bad. If you like garlic this was the festival to go to. They had everything with garlic.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:53 AM, Luckynana said:

I can attest to the fact that our LG refrigerator's compressor gave us problems.  We bought a Frigidaire last Summer at our repairman's suggestion,  French doors, freezer on the bottom.  Water dispenser is inside the door, though, as is our ice maker.  No worries.  We do like it!

Our friends had a frig with the water inside the door. I never understood it since you are standing there with the door open while you fill up your glass.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It looks like Samsung phone owners buy LG TV.  Our last one was LG OLED. Best we ever owned.

My LG is an OLED also with a curved screen. I can't remember how old it is now. Never had any issue with it nor do I have any desire to replace it.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

TSOTD is Senor Frogs from San Juan,Puerto Rico.It is an old shirt from when I had no food and drink restrictions.

🤣Lenny, I am picturing you as a pier sprinter, running back from Senor Frog's to catch the ship, with that balloon art hat on your head and a tall beer sipper in your hand.🤣

I know you probably have never done that in your life 😉, and if you plan to now, please make sure I am on that cruise too so I can catch the pictures.😁🤣

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

🤣Lenny, I am picturing you as a pier sprinter, running back from Senor Frog's to catch the ship, with that balloon art hat on your head and a tall beer sipper in your hand.🤣

I know you probably have never done that in your life 😉, and if you plan to now, please make sure I am on that cruise too so I can catch the pictures.😁🤣

Nope,I have never done that and will not be doing it in the future.Did you see my post about yesterdays tee shirt from Princeton,NJ ?

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Martin's does not sound familiar.  Where did you shop on Grand St.?

Continued healing prayers go to your daughter.

Jennifer, whenever we visit our daughter in NJ, Willowbook is the closest mall.

I'm not familiar with Hahne's

I remember Bambergers became Macy's in the Nanuet Mall near us in Rockland County in 1986.

Montclair is a lovely town.

It's going to hit 100 today.  High 90s low 100s for the next 10 days at least, no rain.  2011 we had over 40 consecutive days of over 100 temps, no rain.   Water restrictions turned most lawns brown. 

What I learned about Dallas area weather living here:  When it rains, it STORMS, and when it's hot it's SIZZLING HOT.  

It was forcast here in N. Ar 100⁰ for tomorrow buy it luckily dropped all the way down to just 97⁰.  Heat index 112⁰.  So I guess 🤷 the hottest is holding back.  😆 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's one of the problems with in-door ice makers.  The bins are very small so they don't take up space in the fridge.

The ice bin in our Frigidaire Gallery is huge!!  Good thing, too, since our grandsons love to make iced coffee.

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

It's going to hit 100 today.  High 90s low 100s for the next 10 days at least, no rain.  2011 we had over 40 consecutive days of over 100 temps, no rain.   Water restrictions turned most lawns brown. 

What I learned about Dallas area weather living here:  When it rains, it STORMS, and when it's hot it's SIZZLING HOT.  

Try to stay cool, Bonnie!  It is so muggy here today.

A&S in Woodbridge was always my favorite store.  I bought almost all of our daughters clothes there.  On sale days, holy moly, but there were lines, but so worth it with 3 girls!😉

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I wonder if X & Royal have come to an agreement as to who goes where. I've been to Iceland twice on X but never seen it advertised on Royal.

On a different tack, whilst I've been enjoying the Baltic on Silhouette, the humour thread has gone missing - can anyone tell me where it is hiding?

Regards,

Cublet

Royal has a TA this August that goes to Iceland that we will be on. I think it does something like it for next year also.

8-28  AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 

8-29   CRUISING

8-30  CRUISING

8-31   AKUREYRI, ICELAND  1:00pm overnight 

9-01  AKUREYRI, ICELAND   depart 1:00pm

9-02  REYKJAVIK, ICELAND   11:00 - 9:00pm

9-03  ISAFJORDUR, ICELAND   10:00 - 7:00

9-04  CRUISING

9-05  PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND(CRUISE)  2:30 - 8:30

9-06  QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND  7:00 - 4:00

9-07  CRUISING

9-08  ST.JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND  2:30 - 10:00

9-09  CRUISING

9-10  HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA  7:00 - 5:00  HALIFAX TITANIC HISTORICAL TOUR

9-11  SYDNEY, NOVA SCOTIA  10:00 - 8:00

9-12  CRUISING

9-13  CRUISING

9-14  CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO)  7:00am

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I tried chocolate garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Festival many years ago. The ice cream had an interesting taste. It actually wasn’t bad. If you like garlic this was the festival to go to. They had everything with garlic.

Cool, would you get it again?

Yes, I guess you could say I like garlic. 😉 I have cleaned so much in the basement the last few weeks that when you open the basement door you smell it.  

I hate my 1st garlic from this year yesterday along with my 1st tomato!  I put them on an egg sandwich along with sharp cheddar cheese and bacon 🥓

image.thumb.png.0e3ef71ebc77d7bd89f6f64a06e783e8.png

• Like 10

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I think after 2011  and your last sentence I would have  picked up and moved out of the State. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Sea Dog  Greg, the pictures above are when I was at the Mai Kai.  As you can see, they are quite old.  Sadly, while I was looking for these pictures, many of my pictures in the album are quite faded.  Anyway, even though the pictures aren't too clear, that is me in the middle, with the blonde hair.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Royal has a TA this August that goes to Iceland that we will be on. I think it does something like it for next year also.

8-28  AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 

8-29   CRUISING

8-30  CRUISING

8-31   AKUREYRI, ICELAND  1:00pm overnight 

9-01  AKUREYRI, ICELAND   depart 1:00pm

9-02  REYKJAVIK, ICELAND   11:00 - 9:00pm

9-03  ISAFJORDUR, ICELAND   10:00 - 7:00

9-04  CRUISING

9-05  PRINS CHRISTIAN SUND(CRUISE)  2:30 - 8:30

9-06  QAQORTOQ, GREENLAND  7:00 - 4:00

9-07  CRUISING

9-08  ST.JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND  2:30 - 10:00

9-09  CRUISING

9-10  HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA  7:00 - 5:00  HALIFAX TITANIC HISTORICAL TOUR

9-11  SYDNEY, NOVA SCOTIA  10:00 - 8:00

9-12  CRUISING

9-13  CRUISING

9-14  CAPE LIBERTY, NJ (NY METRO)  7:00am

That looks lovely, Renee!  What ship is it on?

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

YES, YES, YES to those 3 stores, AND Mays Dept. Store near A&S in Brooklyn.

As you know, Paramus Park was a short ride from Rockland County.

A&S

Mays

EJ Korvette

B. Altman

Orbach's

Gimbles

Alexander's

Kleins 

No more. 😒

I am happy to live in an area in TX that has amazing shopping options.

@BonTexasNY This list of stores brings to mind so many shopping trips I had with my Mom either to the City or Jamaica, Queens. 
Mays had an extensive Chubby Dept, so we were frequent shoppers there-for awhile.

Altmans was a lovely store-very sad when it closed.

After college, I worked at  Lord &Taylor’s anchor store on 5th Ave in the mail order office.

One of my jobs was to send faxes to all the branches over a phone line-it was 1974! I spoke with office reps along the Eastern seaboard every morning.

Left that job to take my first teaching assignment. 

We also frequented A&S and Gimbels when we shopped at Roosevelt Field once I had my driver’s license.

Do you have Dillard’s in Texas ? They have some stores in Florida and they seem to be similar to Macy’s.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

@George C Woodhaven- 

One of my HS best friends grew up in Woodhaven and an aunt had an apartment there as it was an easy commute on the BMT to her job at a law firm  in the City.

So, I am familiar with the area also.

Did your Mom shop at Lewis of Woodhaven?

That was quite a store , jammed packed with household goods etc.

As a kid, I loved the carousel and pony rides in Forest Park.

My father played golf on the course there.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@Sea Dog  Greg, the pictures above are when I was at the Mai Kai.  As you can see, they are quite old.  Sadly, while I was looking for these pictures, many of my pictures in the album are quite faded.  Anyway, even though the pictures aren't too clear, that is me in the middle, with the blonde hair.

Thanks Maryann for posting. You could probably scan those into a computer and touch them up. Nothing else scan them digitally and send them to me . I can clean them up for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

My LG is an OLED also with a curved screen. I can't remember how old it is now. Never had any issue with it nor do I have any desire to replace it.

I have loved OLED.   I remember the first time we were watching TV with all the lights out.  There was a long black out screen while going to commercial.   It was sooo noticeably darker in the room. How do you like the curve?

20 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@George C Woodhaven- 

One of my HS best friends grew up in Woodhaven and an aunt had an apartment there as it was an easy commute on the BMT to her job at a law firm  in the City.

So, I am familiar with the area also.

Did your Mom shop at Lewis of Woodhaven?

That was quite a store , jammed packed with household goods etc.

As a kid, I loved the carousel and pony rides in Forest Park.

My father played golf on the course there.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

My parents condo was only a couple of blocks from Forrest park, I definitely remember the carousel and played lots of basketball and softball there , I could take the elevated J train to work, I saw some strange people on that subway ride over the years . There was a festival there once and they had Tiny Tim singing.

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have loved OLED.   I remember the first time we were watching TV with all the lights out.  There was a long black out screen while going to commercial.   It was sooo noticeably darker in the room. How do you like the curve?

I actually love the curve. I'm not sure if they are still producing them. With a flat screen it seems to me like the edges just "trail off". With the curve I get the sensation of being enveloped by the screen. Back in the day I spent a lot of time in the store going back and forth between flat and curved. Never regretted my decision.

• Like 3

Luckily, my aunt worked in the City in the 1950s into the 1960s .Maybe the trains were a bit more commuter friendly then?

I remember the BMT had red vinyl seats.

I used to like to take that train into the City with my aunt. I did like the color red!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Remind me why it is that you left the East Coast?

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, h20skibum said:

Well, I am finally getting caught up with reading and responses.  Then I get to the last couple pages, and I was shocked to be exposed to my first ever, impolite Canadian.  

I know we have our fair share of impolite Americans, but Canadians have a reputation that is now in danger of being damaged. 

Just what I was thinking. 
Our family welcomes everyone with open hearts, but we need for the newcomers to also have open hearts. 
I think sometimes strangers get on the wrong bus!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:33 AM, dani negreanu said:

We're back from our dream family vacation at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey, with a bitter-sweet feeling.

Sweet ---

A year ago our boys asked for a vacation "down the memory lane"....

To make a very long story short, it is usual here, after a long and stressful army service, to save some money after the discharge (there are several incentive places of work for discharged soldiers -- gas stations, agriculture, building, working with elderly) and tour the world, mostly South America, India, the Far East.

The boys took pity on their mom, who after 4 years of sleepless nights while they've done their combat service, was not psychological ready for several months of additional stress, and looked to combine "seeing the world" without unnecessary worries for me.

Both being sea scouts in their youth, they've found a job instructing water sports at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey. DS1 worked there for 2 years, and DS2 for several months, until he completed his training as security man at our embassies, first in Cairo, and then, as a kind of "compensation" for the "difficult environment", back to the "roots" -- Brussels.

They asked to spend our next family vacation where it all started, and to show the spouse and the kids this marvelous place. DS1 has made life long friendships with people all over the world while working there.

Bitter --

We knew before traveling that DS2 and his family will leave us in order to seek a better and less stressful life in Netherlands. August 3rd 😢

We tried to make the most of us being together as a family and bond more with the grandkids. We succeeded.

I have a big hole in my heart, and DH is plain shattered.

The club is very big (I've timed, walking very quickly, 10 mins from our rooms to the reception...), well maintained, with extensive gardening, which DH couldn't stop photographing. 

Some examples --

image.thumb.jpeg.db2cf9009cbd84e4743f5f648ad56ba1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bafb7355331fbb776b943d133da2c90d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b9122eb509f681e9c95581aa3d0c094.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c24e5e055d928d9f3ff6767efeb2ab7a.jpeg

I hope we see more photos.
 Club  Med looks meticulously maintained. 
I’ll bet you all enjoyed the water!

When your son and his family move to the Netherlands, it will be hard, but thank goodness for all of the ways we have now to communicate. 
You will miss being with then as often, but you can still see and talk to them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1