Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sorry...too late.  I'd offer you some leftovers but as OB has stated before, there's no such thing as leftover Italian food (or at least that was my excuse last night 😁).

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to Michelline. Your dinner looks amazing!  I wish I had the energy that you and Michelline had while making your pasta from scratch!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Fall Equinox.  Happy first day of Fall!  🌕  🌻.  

It’s the fourth and final supermoon of 2023.  This was from yesterday morning.

IMG_3989.thumb.jpeg.3007c34f929e181a0742f6cfc47bf7fd.jpeg

From this morning

IMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.746a08df573ed40759bab5db6cfe8f45.jpeg

Pretty pictures of the Super moon!  We've had so much rain since forever, that we've not been able to see the moon...or the sun, for that matter!😉

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Maryann, that's what teen girls do when they go to school. 😉

We had a Nun in High School who would unroll your skirt if you forgot to do it when you got to school.  Kind of creepy.🤨

I'm so glad your dental extraction went well yesterday, Bonnie!  Your dentist sounds like an awesome guy!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It seems that we should try to stay home... This is not our best year to travel abroad -- health wise.

DH and I didn't thrive in Amsterdam... rain and cold are not for us. Suffering from back ache (again), DH took Aspirin Bayer, which is a "staple" in our family, every one of us using it without any side effects, until now... First thing after landing back in Israel, we went to ER, and DH was hospitalized for 3 days. 

We just came back home (it didn't help that the AC in our car broke down...) with a taxi, one major check up was good, and he has to do another test in the next days.

Oh no, Dani!  I'm so sorry.  I was wondering where you were and what's been going on with you, since I did miss a lot of posts while we were in Arizona.  How is your DH feeling now?  It must feel good to be back home.  Best wishes to you and DH🌹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

More on my long dental saga.  Yesterday I returned to be put under to get those two pesky teeth pulled.  Anesthesia worked great.   At the end, I was "lucid" enough to ask if he got both out and he said a resounding YES, patted my shoulder and went out to talk to Jack.  I never felt loopy coming out of the anesthesia.   Doc prescribed a pain killer but told me I won't need it.  He was right!  

He told me during our consultation that I would be pain free for 72 hours after extraction given what he used to sedate me.  He assured me that only 10% of his patients take a pain killer, usually OTC.

AND he included a full bottle of Moscato in my goodie bag of post extraction instructions, gauze, etc.  I previously mentioned to him that I would love to be home sipping a chilled glass of Moscato.  His staff is caring and removed the anxiety I felt.

@George C George, you wanted his info.  

Dr. Michael Ray - Corner of Independence and Spring Creek in Plano

https://www.northtexasoralsurgery.com/contact/

Luckily, he's in network with our dental plan.

I don't know why the numbing injection didn't work well on Thursday, but if you always are put out that wouldn't be an issue for you.  His phone call that evening at 7 was greatly appreciated. For previous medical procedures, I was called by the office staff to follow up but never the actual doctor and never beyond regular office hours.

If you call, tell him Jack and Bonnie (the talkative Moscato lady) sends regards.

OMG just as I sent this post, Dr. Ray called to see how I am doing.  On a Saturday yet!!  Grateful for editing feature. 

Im glad they put you under. I wish they all did that.

49 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It seems that we should try to stay home... This is not our best year to travel abroad -- health wise.

DH and I didn't thrive in Amsterdam... rain and cold are not for us. Suffering from back ache (again), DH took Aspirin Bayer, which is a "staple" in our family, every one of us using it without any side effects, until now... First thing after landing back in Israel, we went to ER, and DH was hospitalized for 3 days. 

We just came back home (it didn't help that the AC in our car broke down...) with a taxi, one major check up was good, and he has to do another test in the next days.

I'll try to post more in a couple of days.

Sorry to hear that about your husband. I hope he feels better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

On another note, how’s Micheline’s back? She had back surgery right? I think Linda is going to need the same surgery as she has a slipped disc and spinal stenosis.

Her back is great physically.  She still isn't quite to the point where she is 100% mentally trusting that she can move without hurting her back.  She lived with the problem for more than 10 years and it's amazing what she learned to do to compensate and avoid causing pain.  She's slowly getting there and is VERY happy that she had the surgery.  Micheline's surgery was for a herniated/slipped disc, but I'm guessing that Linda will need something different for spinal stenosis.  I'm no neurosurgeon though.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Is it King Arthur 00?

I use a 00 specially made to make pizza at 550⁰.  It's called Americana.   It's blended to brown up at 550⁰.  I bought a 25 kilo bag awhile back.   I broke it up into 5lb bags. After about 10 bags were done I looked at my counter and it looked like I was part of a drug cartel! I need to try it on noodles.

Happy birthday to Micheline.

This is what we use.

IMG_0828.thumb.jpg.8fe4c5c23cc6213904fd0516099fbacc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to Michelline. Your dinner looks amazing!  I wish I had the energy that you and Michelline had while making your pasta from scratch!

It really isn't hard, especially with a food processor.  We use this process/recipe:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Her back is great physically.  She still isn't quite to the point where she is 100% mentally trusting that she can move without hurting her back.  She lived with the problem for more than 10 years and it's amazing what she learned to do to compensate and avoid causing pain.  She's slowly getting there and is VERY happy that she had the surgery.  Micheline's surgery was for a herniated/slipped disc, but I'm guessing that Linda will need something different for spinal stenosis.  I'm no neurosurgeon though.  

Yeah Bob I'm not sure either. I heard so many horror stories of people who had back surgery that had more issues after surgery. I would like to find someone who has the same issues as my wife who had surgery and can tell their experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Sorry to hear that things didn't go well Dani.  I think you need to immediately book travel for 2024 since next year should be great for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Oh no.  Glad he is home and hopefully getting better.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

It really isn't hard, especially with a food processor.  We use this process/recipe:

For many years my mother made her own egg noodles for Shabat ( Sabbath) chicken soup with no special pasta makers. So good but then everything made in her kitchen was exceptional.

@dani negreanu Oh Dani, so sorry to read about your and DH's current health issues.  3 days in a hospital is never fun.  I hope you're both doing much better.  I look forward to your upcoming posts after you rest up and get your strength back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On traveling while wearing a dress…let’s just say that in certain parts of the world (think China in the 1980s…) it’s a lot easier to use some “restrooms” if you are wearing a dress.  Trying to crouch without losing your balance whilst trying to keep your pants from touching the floor…very tricky.

@dani negreanu So very sorry to hear your DH was in hospital for so long!  Hope he’s on the mend and at home now. 🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@BonTexasNY  Oh Bonnie I am so glad your extractions went well!  That dentist does sound like a very caring man.  I, myself, have had way more dental issues than I care to remember so I know the anxiety is.  

@dani negreanu  So sorry your trip to Amsterdam didn't treat you and your DH well.  I hope he is getting better and that travel in 2024 goes much smoother!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Fall Equinox.  Happy first day of Fall!  🌕  🌻.  

It’s the fourth and final supermoon of 2023.  This was from yesterday morning.

IMG_3989.thumb.jpeg.3007c34f929e181a0742f6cfc47bf7fd.jpeg

From this morning

IMG_3999.thumb.jpeg.746a08df573ed40759bab5db6cfe8f45.jpeg

Costco finds…Flavors of Fall- Caramel Apple Mini Cakes

IMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.0b124b1b174633754f54ca7270ca6925.jpeg

Last night was the Mooncake Festival.  In Chinese culture, it is held on the 15th day of the 8th month of the Chinese lunisolar calendar with a full moon at night.

My grandson in California was enjoying a mooncake.  

IMG_9048.thumb.jpeg.6b86453ef7b7a1aa73a0f351791c19e9.jpeg

I think if I was enjoying one, I would pick a different shape.  There is just something about eating one that is shaped like a pig!  😬

In case anyone is wondering, they are sweet tasting, and some even taste like ice cream. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Im glad they put you under. I wish they all did that.

You do understand that general anesthesia is inherently far more dangerous than local, right? Personally, I would never have general anesthesia anywhere where someone skilled in intubation was not readily available.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Herniated disc and spinal stenosis are two completely different issues and treated quite differently.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah Bob I'm not sure either. I heard so many horror stories of people who had back surgery that had more issues after surgery. I would like to find someone who has the same issues as my wife who had surgery and can tell their experiences.

I don't know if there's ever such a thing as routine back surgery, but Micheline's L4/L5 microdiscectomy is fairly routine.  The way the Neurosurgeon explained it, the lumbar discs have a hard outer shell (collagen) and a gelatinous interior.  In Micheline's case, something damaged the outer shell and the gelatinous interior pushed through the opening in the shell.  If she bent/twisted/moved wrong, the gelatinous material would press against the nerves running through that part of her spine and cause anywhere from minor pain to flat on her back without moving pain. 

The surgery involved removing the exposed gelatinous material while leaving the collagen "shell" alone.  The procedure itself only took about an hour but with pre-op and recovery time, we were in the hospital for about 8 hours.  She didn't stay overnight and could walk once she got home.  She was on Percocet for a couple of days and then wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks.  This was to allow the opening in the collagen shell to harden again so that more gelatinous stuff wouldn't poke through.  During the surgery, the nerves in the area are moved to get access to the disc, and it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a year for the nerves to settle back into place properly.  There is a 95-98% chance that Micheline will not have a recurrence.   So far, so good.

I did a quick search on spinal stenosis, and it looks like a very different procedure.  Like many things medical, the key is to get a good doctor.  Micheline's doctor was recommended by 2 different friends here.  We were both impressed with him when we met before deciding on surgery.  He has the right combination of confidence (which I like in a doctor to an extent) and being personable.  He explained everything very well and patiently listened to all of our questions.  He never came across as being too busy for us.  If Linda doesn't already have a neurosurgeon, definitely look around for someone who gets good referrals from past patients.  

Edit:  Oops.  Just saw OB's reply.  Very different treatments indeed.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

You do understand that general anesthesia is inherently far more dangerous than local, right? Personally, I would never have general anesthesia anywhere where someone skilled in intubation was not readily available.

Yes, I would assume that If I was put under it would be by a qualified trained  anesthesiologist. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Micro back surgery has come a long way. You can't listen to people who had back surgery years ago. It is also very important to be in the hands of a very skilled surgeon.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't know if there's ever such a thing as routine back surgery, but Micheline's L4/L5 microdiscectomy is fairly routine.  The way the Neurosurgeon explained it, the lumbar discs have a hard outer shell (collagen) and a gelatinous interior.  In Micheline's case, something damaged the outer shell and the gelatinous interior pushed through the opening in the shell.  If she bent/twisted/moved wrong, the gelatinous material would press against the nerves running through that part of her spine and cause anywhere from minor pain to flat on her back without moving pain. 

The surgery involved removing the exposed gelatinous material while leaving the collagen "shell" alone.  The procedure itself only took about an hour but with pre-op and recovery time, we were in the hospital for about 8 hours.  She didn't stay overnight and could walk once she got home.  She was on Percocet for a couple of days and then wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks.  This was to allow the opening in the collagen shell to harden again so that more gelatinous stuff wouldn't poke through.  During the surgery, the nerves in the area are moved to get access to the disc, and it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a year for the nerves to settle back into place properly.  There is a 95-98% chance that Micheline will not have a recurrence.   So far, so good.

I did a quick search on spinal stenosis, and it looks like a very different procedure.  Like many things medical, the key is to get a good doctor.  Micheline's doctor was recommended by 2 different friends here.  We were both impressed with him when we met before deciding on surgery.  He has the right combination of confidence (which I like in a doctor to an extent) and being personable.  He explained everything very well and patiently listened to all of our questions.  He never came across as being too busy for us.  If Linda doesn't already have a neurosurgeon, definitely look around for someone who gets good referrals from past patients.  

Thanks for the info. I need to find out more from Linda who she has seen, and research surgeons. She has just been treating it with injections. It may be time to go to the next level and find a a good surgeon.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Micro back surgery has come a long way. You can't listen to people who had back surgery years ago. It is also very important to be in the hands of a very skilled surgeon.

Yes I agree. The people that I talked to that had problems had back surgery a long time ago. I am sure things are better and improved. I guess we need to research more. Who is best to do that surgery, a neurosurgeon?