Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I liked Survivor this season.  It was harder to know who was going out next.  I agree that Jake was whining way to much tonight.  I wondered what would of happened if the final vote was a tie.

The third finalist votes.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Great report on your knees, Greg!    Good luck at your surgeon's appointment tomorrow.  How is Linda feeling?  Hoping for a quick recovery after her shoulder surgery next week.

She’s been hurting. She has said if the surgeon wants to do my hernia surgery quickly she would postpone her rotator cuff surgery but I’m saying no to that. She’s been in pain and needs it done. We will deal with whatever we have to do. Merry Christmas Maryann!

9 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

We stayed an extra night in Houston before flying home the next day after our cruise this past Sunday.  The hotel did not have Hallmark Channel but we found Below Deck Mediterranean on Bravo.  Since there’s so much talk on here about Below Deck and me who have never watched it, I was real curious what it’s all about.  

So, we turned to it.  I don’t know what season we were watching.  It wasn’t prime time so it must’ve been old episodes from previous seasons.  The yacht was named Sirocco.  There was Sam, the captain; Hannah, the head steward; Wes; Malia; Bobby; Andy (I think that’s the name), the chef; Lauren, the 3rd steward; Buggy (or Bugsy- I don’t remember); and a few others that I can’t recall the names.  I can see how with each episode, you get more and more hooked.  I ended up watching all afternoon until it was time for dinner.  Does anybody know what season this was from?

Sounds like Season 2. It’s addictive I think you will love it. The yachts, the locations and food are the stars. The crew and drama is the side show.

Too bad they didn’t have the Hallmark channel. Do you like their Christmas movies? I’m a big fan and the movies this year have been their best. Hallmark got new writers and the plots and characters are really good. I’ve watched all of them over the years. One of my favorite things to do during the holidays. Merry Christmas to you and Marty.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

They said it's a brand new plane.

First time I'm seeing usb plugs up this high up by the seat trays 

20231220_230214.thumb.jpg.e5bb26e53268965aee0011fc0bb4950e.jpg

Are you doing a live review on this cruise Harry?  Will it be just the 4 of you, or all 6?  I hope you have a great cruise.  We've been tempted a few times to do a Christmas cruise so that someone else can take care of everything.  We don't enjoy decorating as much as we used to.  😒

• Like 2

Posting this here rather than cluttering up @h20skibum Mark's Symphony review.  Mark was talking about how loud one of the bands was.  We've discussed here, more than once, how bad the volume levels can be.  Micheline is very sensitive to loud noises.  She can't generally stay in any Royal venue with loud music, which is basically everywhere but Central Park.  She's tried putting cotton in her ears but the only thing that really works is full blown silicon ear plugs.  That blocks most sound though, including conversation.

I may have mentioned this before, but she bought a pair of Loop Earplugs, which claim to reduce volume levels while still allowing quality sound (like music) to come through.  They are comfortable and seem to work, but she hasn't really tested them in a loud venue.  We're hoping that they will work well for our upcoming Billy Joel concert.  Has anyone else tried Loop earplugs before?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stefan Batory said:

3 Year Lurker-1st Time Poster-L3-S1 Decompression & Fusion

So, I have been reading this board since the beginning.

Many have posted about their medical procedures, knee replacements, etc.etc.

Has anyone had spinal surgery?

Would you care to share your experience?

I am having a L3-S1 Decompression & Fusion next week.

My symptoms include Very weak legs, lower back pain that radiates to my left knee & shins. 

What were your symptoms and did the surgery help?

Thanks

Long story for me.  I had back issues for about 15 years off and on (bouts of pain that would last a couple weeks, then would go back to "just" discomfort), until "the big one" happened in September 2001.  I herniated L4-L5, and over a couple days my legs got very weak and numb.  Couldn't urinate.  Could barely walk.  I went to see a doctor at 10AM on that Friday.  He poked and prodded and sent me for an MRI.  When I got back to his office, we sat down and he told me about something called Cauda Equina Syndrome.  Basically, my disc herniated right into my spinal column, and was blocking off all the nerves going down my lower body. I can almost recall what he told me, word for word..."The surgeons next door are prepping for you.  Of course, you are free to get a second opinion.  But I'm telling you, if you don't have surgery right now, you are risking permanent nerve damage, including paralysis." I was in surgery by 2:00 that afternoon.  L4-L5 laminectomy.  They say if you have surgery within 48 hours there is a decent chance of spontaneous relief of the nerves.  I was outside that window (more like 72-96 hours).

Spent a couple months basically learning to walk again.  Legs were so weak I couldn't lift them up high enough to walk up stairs.  Used a walker for a couple months, then a cane for a few more.  Nine months before I got back to work again.  

Fast forward to today and my back feels like it did when I was 18.  Rarely have any back issues at all.  Still have some saddle numbness and have foot drop in my left foot so I wear a brace most of the time.  But daily life is normal.  There's a lot of things I can't do (run, jump), but I don't measure my life by those things. I am so lucky and grateful I saw a doctor who knew immediately what was happening and did what he had to do for me.  Deep sense of gratitude for the doctors and nurses who took care of me for the week I was in the hospital.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Are you doing a live review on this cruise Harry?  Will it be just the 4 of you, or all 6?  I hope you have a great cruise.  We've been tempted a few times to do a Christmas cruise so that someone else can take care of everything.  We don't enjoy decorating as much as we used to.  😒

Christmas cruise is over priced and over crowded. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't for the boys college schedule only has this week open that also works with my schedule.

It's just the 4 of us. No inlaws this time.

Haha, sorry, no live review. Too dumb to walk and chew gum to do a live review. You know my trip reports are weeks/months in the making. 

Besides, once the ship sails on day 1, I will have no internet connection until we come back on day 9. Cheapo dad not willing to pay for ship wifi. So at best I can do is few pictures here pre cruise to say hi to some old friends.

Although as a teaser for the upcoming trip report, the working title is something like this "The cruiser formerly known as Cheapo Dad's trip report on Odyssey of the Seas sailing to A minus B plus C islands...."

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Has anyone else tried Loop earplugs before?

I have not used those but I have a pair of professional volume damping earplugs. I have worn them at concerts and they work great by limited the volume by -25-30db while sonically allowing all frequencies in.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I believe this is the nicest Jury I've ever witnessed on Survivor.  Nicest and friendliest.  No bitterness, etc.

Too bad they picked the wrong person! Outta those three, Jake should have taken it. Oh well, bring on #46. 

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Long story for me.  I had back issues for about 15 years off and on (bouts of pain that would last a couple weeks, then would go back to "just" discomfort), until "the big one" happened in September 2001.  I herniated L4-L5, and over a couple days my legs got very weak and numb.  Couldn't urinate.  Could barely walk.  I went to see a doctor at 10AM on that Friday.  He poked and prodded and sent me for an MRI.  When I got back to his office, we sat down and he told me about something called Cauda Equina Syndrome.  Basically, my disc herniated right into my spinal column, and was blocking off all the nerves going down my lower body. I can almost recall what he told me, word for word..."The surgeons next door are prepping for you.  Of course, you are free to get a second opinion.  But I'm telling you, if you don't have surgery right now, you are risking permanent nerve damage, including paralysis." I was in surgery by 2:00 that afternoon.  L4-L5 laminectomy.  They say if you have surgery within 48 hours there is a decent chance of spontaneous relief of the nerves.  I was outside that window (more like 72-96 hours).

Spent a couple months basically learning to walk again.  Legs were so weak I couldn't lift them up high enough to walk up stairs.  Used a walker for a couple months, then a cane for a few more.  Nine months before I got back to work again.  

Fast forward to today and my back feels like it did when I was 18.  Rarely have any back issues at all.  Still have some saddle numbness and have foot drop in my left foot so I wear a brace most of the time.  But daily life is normal.  There's a lot of things I can't do (run, jump), but I don't measure my life by those things. I am so lucky and grateful I saw a doctor who knew immediately what was happening and did what he had to do for me.  Deep sense of gratitude for the doctors and nurses who took care of me for the week I was in the hospital.

Cauda Equina syndrome is an absolute surgical emergency. There is no gray area.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m sorry that’s kinda sad. I hope I never get to that point.

I agree.  We didn't used to be like that.  Multiple trees, lights everywhere outside, lots of misc. stuff spread around the house.  We'd spend a couple of days setting up and breaking down.  It was great when the kids were younger.  Now that we've moved, we're a little older, and the kids won't be here for Christmas, it just seems like a lot of work to be as over the top as we used to be.  We're a little worn out by Christmas in general with crazy crowds while shopping, too much pressure to buy a great gift, etc. The original meaning is somewhat lost these days and it's too commercial.  One of the reasons that I'm looking forward to grand kids is to bring back that Christmas joy.  

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I have not used those but I have a pair of professional volume damping earplugs. I have worn them at concerts and they work great by limited the volume by -25-30db while sonically allowing all frequencies in.

Thanks Greg.  What's the brand of professional earplugs that you have?  The Loop earplugs claim up to 18 dB reduction plus an additional 5 dB with an extra insert.  If they don't work as claimed, a professional version may be the next step.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I agree.  We didn't used to be like that.  Multiple trees, lights everywhere outside, lots of misc. stuff spread around the house.  We'd spend a couple of days setting up and breaking down.  It was great when the kids were younger.  Now that we've moved, we're a little older, and the kids won't be here for Christmas, it just seems like a lot of work to be as over the top as we used to be.  We're a little worn out by Christmas in general with crazy crowds while shopping, too much pressure to buy a great gift, etc. The original meaning is somewhat lost these days and it's too commercial.  One of the reasons that I'm looking forward to grand kids is to bring back that Christmas joy.  

Thanks Greg.  What's the brand of professional earplugs that you have?  The Loop earplugs claim up to 18 dB reduction plus an additional 5 dB with an extra insert.  If they don't work as claimed, a professional version may be the next step.

That’s my biggest fear that my son would move away and not be here for Christmas. if that were to happen we would probably downsize the decorations too.

I use these for hearing protection.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SndProtex--sennheiser-soundprotex-hearing-protection-earplugs.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Cauda Equina syndrome is an absolute surgical emergency. There is no gray area.

Exactly...I knew you'd know more than most what I was talking about. 

The reason my spidey senses go on overload every time I hear someone talking about back problems and numbness and/or muscle weakness.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Exactly...I knew you'd know more than most what I was talking about. 

The reason my spidey senses go on overload every time I hear someone talking about back problems and numbness and/or muscle weakness.

Wow!  That was quite an ordeal you went through!❤️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Wow Larry! Thank goodness you sought and received the immediate treatment you needed. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What did Jake do to deserve the win?

I don't know what really any of them on any of those Survivor Shows did to deserve $1 Million , I mean really on an island for 26 days days. What's the big deal?

The Voice winner with real talent only got $100,000 for winning the other night.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What did Jake do to deserve the win?

Well he whined annoyingly.  He announced his idol to everyone when he could have made a big move instead.  He broke a challenge being a big baby about dropping the bowls.  So if those actions say winner then I guess he should have won.  This was a year of the most annoying people ever.  Except the final two.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, doghog said:

IMO, he played a lot better overall game then the tag team of Austin and D. All without the help of immunities. The underdog. 

He only got to number 3 because he whined, did nothing of value the entire season, and was seen as a good person to take along as he would be easy to win against. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Well he whined annoyingly.  He announced his idol to everyone when he could have made a big move instead.  He broke a challenge being a big baby about dropping the bowls.  So if those actions say winner then I guess he should have won.  This was a year of the most annoying people ever.  Except the final two.

The game is about, out wit, out play, out last. 

And all D was whine about how much she needed the money to retire her parents and help support her kid (I guess she doesn't get child support) and blah, blah, blah! 

Letters from home, being away for less than a month from family and whining about their personal lives is boring. 🥱 Do not care. They all volunteered to leave. Bring back Survivor 1 as far as what the players had to deal with. I swear on Survivor #45 they all gained weight and very lazy. 🤣

Looking forward to #46. 😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

He only got to number 3 because he whined, did nothing of value the entire season, and was seen as a good person to take along as he would be easy to win against. 

Yes he did. And D didn't whine, all the time? 😂That's why D won.🤣 None of the final three really deserved to be sitting there. I didn't want Jake to win until the final three. At least Jake proved he could preform when it counted. 🔥 

Edited by doghog