Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

That reminds me 😞 last month when we went back to NJ to visit relatives we drove by our old house and the people that bought our old house dug up and got rid of all the beautiful Peonies we had along in front of the house.

Told my Wife I just knew we should have dug all them up and took them with us to Virginia, but we left them 😞

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

You definitely should have dug them up to take with you!

For you real estate people here...Is this something that would need to be written into a sales contract?  If I were buying a house, I would expect the existing landscaping to be the same when I moved in.  I'd be upset if a nice flower bed disappeared.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

For you real estate people here...Is this something that would need to be written into a sales contract?  If I were buying a house, I would expect the existing landscaping to be the same when I moved in.  I'd be upset if a nice flower bed disappeared.  

We had already moved and taken the plants before putting it on the market.  Bulbs need to be thinned out if they have been there for awhile so with a little planning you could take some and the bed would look the same.  One year I thinned my crinum lilies and gave my neighbor 40 bulbs and you would never know I took any.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yup, he probably needs money to pay off business loans, student loans, rent, malpractice & liability insurance, etc.   Buyer beware, $9000 is rather high.

If unsure, get a 2nd opinion.

A savings of $5,000 or $6,000 could be 2 cruises😊

100% agree, while insurance carriers have contracted rates that keep you somewhat price protected it is a totally different story otherwise. always shop around for the best price.  especially for imaging services like MRI’s etc.  There can be massive price swings for the same service.

even on covered services you could save on your deductible/coinsurance/HSA payments by shopping.  It gets complicated when you like your doctor and feel loyalty/pressure to stick with them and pay the higher price.

Edited by SteelCityCruiser10
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

100% agree, while insurance carriers have contracted rates that keep you somewhat price protected it is a totally different story otherwise. always shop around for the best price.  especially for imaging services like MRI’s etc.  There can be massive price swings for the same service.

even on covered services you could save on your deductible/coinsurance/HSA payments by shopping.  It gets complicated when you like your doctor and feel loyalty/pressure to stick with them and pay the higher price.

I think their are many factors to consider when it comes to your medical care than simply shopping for price.  Having a physician that you are comfortable with is a huge factor. Those relationships are going to be harder to come by as medicine continues the transition to location based care instead of physician based care. That meaning you will go to a place where you receive your care and that care will be provided by whom ever happens to be working that day. And those providers will supply services exactly how their bosses instruct them to. The new world of medical care.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think their are many factors to consider when it comes to your medical care than simply shopping for price.  Having a physician that you are comfortable with is a huge factor. Those relationships are going to be harder to come by as medicine continues the transition to location based care instead of physician based care. That meaning you will go to a place where you receive your care and that care will be provided by whom ever happens to be working that day. And those providers will supply services exactly how their bosses instruct them to.

How sad but I do see it coming .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think their are many factors to consider when it comes to your medical care than simply shopping for price.  Having a physician that you are comfortable with is a huge factor. Those relationships are going to be harder to come by as medicine continues the transition to location based care instead of physician based care. That meaning you will go to a place where you receive your care and that care will be provided by whom ever happens to be working that day. And those providers will supply services exactly how their bosses instruct them to. The new world of medical care.....

Definitely complicated and PCP relationships shouldn’t be overlooked.  Ancillary services like imaging and labs are mainly what I’m referring to for shopping.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akcruz said:

How sad but I do see it coming .

It is the future and it is coming. Private practice is is fading away. I'm the tail end of the old generation. These new folks don't want the hassle of running a business, dealing with insurances, being on call, etc. They want a lifestyle that is more predictable. Go to work at a certain time, go home at a certain time, and collect a paycheck every two weeks.

And the fact is that insurance companies run medicine now, not doctors. They control the purse strings and they make the decisions. It is a brave new world.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Definitely complicated and PCP relationships shouldn’t be overlooked.  Ancillary services like imaging and labs are mainly what I’m referring to for shopping.  

Even ancillary services are complicated. There are radiologists and there are radiologists. When services are done at the hospital I know who is reading the CT or MRI scan. I have no idea who is reading the scan at some place you shopped around for.

And those three letters you used... PCP. I detest them. I'm not a "provider". I'm a physician. Ok, I guess my trigger was pulled. I need to get off of my rant. I already posted that I gave up alcohol for Lent. I blame that for my grumpiness.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It is the future and it is coming. Private practice is is fading away. I'm the tail end of the old generation. These new folks don't want the hassle of running a business, dealing with insurances, being on call, etc. They want a lifestyle that is more predictable. Go to work at a certain time, go home at a certain time, and collect a paycheck every two weeks.

And the fact is that insurance companies run medicine now, not doctors. They control the purse strings and they make the decisions. It is a brave new world.

We have been in SC for a little over 7 years.  Took a bit to find a primary but not as long as those moving here now, close to a year wait if you can find one taking new patients.  Having said that I am on my 3rd "primary" in the practice, the others left.  Not thrilled with almost starting over every time I go but at least have a place to go.  Too many old people moving south.

You are definitely a dying breed, be proud of yourself for all you do.  I wish there were doctors like you here.

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don’t disagree with any of this

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And those three letters you used... PCP. I detest them. I'm not a "provider". I'm a physician. Ok, I guess my trigger was pulled. I need to get off of my rant. I already posted that I gave up alcohol for Lent. I blame that for my grumpiness.

PCP to me = Primary Care Physician 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My hubby had cataract surgery last year.  He was given 3 choices.  #1 fully covered by insurance but still need glasses. #2 would have cost around $1000 per eye but still need reading glasses or #3 cost around $1800 per eye and no glasses. 

He picked #3 and is so happy he did.  He has worn glasses since he was in elementary school and contacts for many years.   No glasses or contacts needed.  Perfect vision now.

$9000 sounds rather high.   I would double check that $$

One of my cousins had the same three options and also opted for number 3.She had the surgery about 10 years ago and never regretted it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yup, he probably needs money to pay off business loans, student loans, rent, malpractice & liability insurance, etc.   Buyer beware, $9000 is rather high.

If unsure, get a 2nd opinion.

A savings of $5,000 or $6,000 could be 2 cruises😊

My problem is time. I have a may 20th closing date on my dallas house. I need to be gone from here and hopefully moved to florida by closing date. 

I still have the skin doctor (well her assistant). For checking for skin cancers. Let's hope none require MOHS. I've had a few places near my left hand turn red on cruises. A few places I'm worried about. 

Out of time. Got my friend to visit before I leave texas and a week cruise on mariner already paid for. And who knows if it's exactly the same lens they all offer. I dont have any way without knowing if these lens have model numbers or something. Maybe as a new doctor practice he paid more for them. Where I'm moving is a smaller area than dallas. Idk how doctors will be. I asked chase and they looked it up, there is a chase bank 11 minutes from me they said. Not all that close. But doable. Where I have checking. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's what happened to my parents so it can happen. The sellers had some beautiful Rose's planted in back of the house they dug up and took with them. My parents got to the house and were not happy. I would write it in now if I was buying a place with special flowers.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

We have been in SC for a little over 7 years.  Took a bit to find a primary but not as long as those moving here now, close to a year wait if you can find one taking new patients.  Having said that I am on my 3rd "primary" in the practice, the others left.  Not thrilled with almost starting over every time I go but at least have a place to go.  Too many old people moving south.

You are definitely a dying breed, be proud of yourself for all you do.  I wish there were doctors like you here.

That's another worry, finding doctors when I move. Here a lot dont take new patients. Idk about where I'm moving. I'm determined to figure it out and move, not a reason to not move. But stuff like this is concerning. 

• Like 3

@Ocean Boy Not grumpiness and not a rant.

You are honest in what you posted about the present state of medical care. 
You may have given up alcohol for Lent,but there is always a walk on the beach for stress relief ! 😉

MJ🙎🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

You definitely should have dug them up to take with you! My Peonies have an interesting back story. When Jimmy Carter was president, our one and only peony grower was contacted by the White House to provide their flowers for a formal state dinner. Since then, they have been the official peony provider to the white house florist. Which is quite a honor, considering most growers are in the Midwest. 

The grower gave me a plant (of this single flower per stem variety) back in the 90's. I plan on taking the tubers wherever we go! 

Peonies2.JPG

Peonies3.JPG

Peonies4.thumb.JPG.e1356fa2638f392652c5460774bee816.JPG

Gorgeous.   Great honor for your local grower

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My problem is time. I have a may 20th closing date on my dallas house. I need to be gone from here and hopefully moved to florida by closing date. 

I still have the skin doctor (well her assistant). For checking for skin cancers. Let's hope none require MOHS. I've had a few places near my left hand turn red on cruises. A few places I'm worried about. 

Out of time. Got my friend to visit before I leave texas and a week cruise on mariner already paid for. And who knows if it's exactly the same lens they all offer. I dont have any way without knowing if these lens have model numbers or something. Maybe as a new doctor practice he paid more for them. Where I'm moving is a smaller area than dallas. Idk how doctors will be. I asked chase and they looked it up, there is a chase bank 11 minutes from me they said. Not all that close. But doable. Where I have checking. 

Jane, I wish you the best in getting everything sorted according to your timeline. Your quote was not too off.

I want to share that yes, there are different lenses, brands, types, for example Alcon/Clareon PanOptix which are an example of the tri focal replacement lenses for full range vision, and prices are different for types of lenses, procedures etc. I have read of the lens costing $4200 per eye plus surgery cost (which may/partially may/ may not be covered by insurance). Many insurances will not cover Laser or the top of the line replacement lenses.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Having a physician that you are comfortable with is a huge factor.

Looks like we are going to find a new family doctor.   Our current has been thinking about retirement. 2 weeks ago he passed out at the office and severely hit his head.  From what I heard he is still in the hospital.   His patients are being assigned to other doctors in his building. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Looks like we are going to find a new family doctor.   Our current has been thinking about retirement. 2 weeks ago he passed out at the office and severely hit his head.  From what I heard he is still in the hospital.   His patients are being assigned to other doctors in his building. 

🙏

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:51 AM, Ocean Boy said:

First, welcome back... again.🙂

So with the little info I know about your situation you most likely have type 2. This means you are manufacturing insulin from your pancreas but your sensitivity to it is decreasing. There are various reasons for this but I can't get into all that here. I have never heard of the supplement that you mentioned so I cannot comment on it. The key in the initial management if type 2 is lifestyle changes. Decrease your simple sugar consumption and be careful with the amount and type of carbohydrates that you eat. Exercise and weight loss is also key. Then see how your lab values respond.

I have many times been able to manage type 2 using no medication at all when people have been willing to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Of course, there are always some who just won't put the effort into their health and want meds to fix everything. I've never been a big believer in better living through chemistry. Then there are those who end up on meds no matter how hard they try.

Opinion ref Mediterranean diet?