Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 11/16/2020 at 11:59 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Things are certainly different. Here, we would call those apartments, condos. Here, at least in Florida, we call multiple units that one rents, a apartment. We noticed in Isarel, the called them apartments even though they owned them. I’m not really sure what they call the high rises in places like NYC. 

The boss tells me “we” have decided to add the second story feature to our build. That puts it up to 6000+ sq/ft under air. It’s on a 1/2 acre. The big reason for our move is additional garage space. We currently have a 3 car but are building 6 car.  All I say is “yes mam”. 

M8

Our post office address for the condo is Apt 601

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Domino D said:

Lioness, that would be a great topic for thread, or to do on here.  What are you doing with your cruise money?

Today, so far, I am playing mental hooky.  I have to write an opinion on something for a client and am suffering from writers block.  Hoping to get things started soon.  I've put on like 8 Covid pounds and have been reading about intermittent fasting. Hope the weather doesn't get to bad. 

Been saving my cruise money.

Sitting on a little nest egg for April of next year, as it looks like this Canadian won’t be cruising or heading to an AI for a while due to travel restrictions. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Now don't get me wrong, when they are home and if either Dad or I are doing a project, they will help out but I just don't see either of them ever doing any of the renovation work I have done (as a girl too!)   I've laid my own tile, hardwood floors, hung my own kitchen cabinets, crown moulding, etc etc.    I've refinished hardwood on my own (those machines are hand to handle till you get used to it).  

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Yup, I got good at hanging drywall, doing the "mud work", concrete work, plaster, brick/block work, flooring, tile, cabinet installation, etc. Heck we even did our own roof at one of the houses we built.   All without any training. 

The one thing I can't do is plumbing and electrical. 😮  Thank goodness hubs #1 and especially hubs #2 were good at it.  Leave me alone to finish the drywall work...go do the plumbing please sweetie!.  😉 

Not sure it's all generational.  I'm a 60 year old man and worked construction all through high school and college. I actually had to get a union card at 18 to be able to drive trucks and backhoes on job sites.  When I graduated, I told myself I'll never do yard work or home repairs again.  I'll hang the odd blind or fix something that broke.  I had to rewire a lamp for wife this past weekend to avoid trouble.  BUT, I have never cut the grass, trimmed the bushes, or done any renovations.  I gladly pay others to do it.  I have friend who love yard work, and are always pitching me on how relaxing it is. 

When my son was 18, between high school and college, I had a friend of mine put him on a crew tearing moldy drywall out of a hotel being renovated.  The crew he worked with did more making him understand the value of an education than I ever could.  He changes his own oil (learned from Youtube).  My advice to him, you know there are places that will do that for you.   

Edited by Domino D
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Northern New Jersey this evening. Train station area photos. Getting cold and windy. 

20201117_183226.jpg

How pretty! I'll bet it even looks pretty in the snow. :classic_biggrin: I love the appearance of train stations. 

Well bummer. Our county and 40 others in CA have been bumped back to the Purple, widespread-most restrictive tier because of rising Covid cases. Everything is closing again or going back to outside in the rain. And just in time for the non-holidays. :classic_sad:

Tiers are (widespread) Purple/Red/Orange/Yellow(minimal).  Darn. We had made it all the way to Orange. Looking forward to brighter days ahead. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here,   My DH and I helped my Dad replace his roof a couple years ago (tear off and replaced a couple pieces of roof decking, new tar paper and architectural shingles.    We had a blast.    

Funny, we had our roof replaced in the past month.  Both times our house has been re-roofed it was done by a company that showed up and said they would get the insurance company to pay for it.  Both times they even magically made my deductible disappear.  The crew this time was here at 6:30am and gone by 3:30pm.  Job done. 

What we were talking about was that my friends and I put  roofs on each of our parents houses between 12 and 19.  Oldest kids were in charge younger kids carried supplies up and down the ladders. Different world today.  In fairness our parents houses were ranch houses.  

Edited by Domino D

38 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Funny, we had our roof replaced in the past month.  Both times our house has been re-roofed it was done by a company that showed up and said they would get the insurance company to pay for it.  Both times they even magically made my deductible disappear.  The crew this time was here at 6:30am and gone by 3:30pm.  Job done. 

What we were talking about was that my friends and I put  roofs on each of our parents houses between 12 and 19.  Oldest kids were in charge younger kids carried supplies up and down the ladders. Different world today.  In fairness our parents houses were ranch houses.  

I wish that had been the case for my parents house.  Very steep roof with a couple different gables.  As kids my Dad would bring out the ladder and we would sit up there to watch firework displays.   Nowadays he would probably be thrown in jail for letting us do that with him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Neither is the home we are in now.  Will only be moving out of this one...carrying me feet first. Our last permanent home. 😉  

Possibly not our last remodel project however, we are in serious planning of looking at small homes/cottage/cabins in upper Maine.  Have driven the "land yacht" up there for 10 of the last 12 years for the summer.  Don't want to do it any longer.  Traffic has gotten really bad, and drivers are getting scarier.  Already had one wild 16 year old take off the front of our first land yacht going down the highway....don't want to go through that again.  

If we buy one, we will enjoy the summers tweaking our new little summer home.  🙂 

Yes that is a beautiful area.  I was suppose to be last May, but....you know what happened.

Rebooked for next year.

Looking forward to seeing your adorable summer cottage!

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

This is what it looked like around here by the end of the day.

You must be just a couple degrees colder than us.  We had several steady flurries this morning that accumulated but within a half hour of the snow stopping the accumulation had melted. 

Sarah was home for the weekend and drove back last night.  It was still a bit windy and blew a pylon in front of her on the highway.  Appointment booked at the repair shop to see what a new bumper is going to cost.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domino D said:

What is that white stuff all over everything?

I can tell you that it sure isn’t frosting. 

42 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Ice Cream?

Don’t eat the lemon sorbet. 

35 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Seriously, now your doing it on purpose.

You know if M8 won a Golden Ticket, to our personal Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory, I think he might he the one swimming in the pool and commandeering the grill.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Appointment booked at the repair shop to see what a new bumper is going to cost.  

Not good, but thankfully it wasn’t worse.

Watching Highway to Hell right now, and I am not feeling so bad about the few inches of snow.  I know a fellow cattle breeder in BC who had to drive the Coquihalla in December, from Chilliwack BC to sales in Alberta with a load of cattle. Some trips went easy and others  not so much. He said it was just like the TV show. 

Glad to hear that Sarah is OK. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Vett

YES

I don't think we can do the library.

It's supposed to be nice this week. Does Kowalski's or Subway still have outdoor seating? I have to go to the library for a grab-and-go tomorrow. I'll check.

Dani - hope this sidetrack is ok.

Hi Vett

Kowalski's and Subway took away their outdoor seating.

How about Bachman's on Lyndale. There's indoor seating by Patrick's.

I thought it was supposed to be warmer!