Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, vettprincess said:

HI neighbor: How are you doing? Staying safe from covid? So far so good here. Didn't you have a cruise planned for the first part of 2021?  Ours is 8 days in April but it will be canceled. 

Daughter signed up to be a volunteer for RCL but with 100,000 plus volunteers doubt it will happen.

Stay safe and dream of cruising. 

Hi Vett

Still being safe. Only go out as needed

We rent space at an antique store in Stillwater. Haven't been there for about 2 months. I have been buying my duty days out. I have no idea how messy our space is. Customer buying usually drops off when winter sets in. But covid cases are skyrocketing. Don't know what to do.

2 of John's co-workers tested positive. He is in charge of the security cameras so he looked at footage. He hadn't had contact with either of them for over 2 weeks.

We were supposed to be on Vision Feb 14 for 11 nights.  We were able to lift and shift to 2022 with no penalties. Got the same cabin and a cheaper rate. Winter in Minnesota is long but I have books to read. 

Mom in memory care tested positive. She is in a separate covid wing now and has adjusted quite well.

I'd like to meet but if you move it might have to be on board!

Hope your daughter gets picked! Let us know.

Stay safe!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Hi Vett

Still being safe. Only go out as needed

We rent space at an antique store in Stillwater. Haven't been there for about 2 months. I have been buying my duty days out. I have no idea how messy our space is. Customer buying usually drops off when winter sets in. But covid cases are skyrocketing. Don't know what to do.

2 of John's co-workers tested positive. He is in charge of the security cameras so he looked at footage. He hadn't had contact with either of them for over 2 weeks.

We were supposed to be on Vision Feb 14 for 11 nights.  We were able to lift and shift to 2022 with no penalties. Got the same cabin and a cheaper rate. Winter in Minnesota is long but I have books to read. 

Mom in memory care tested positive. She is in a separate covid wing now and has adjusted quite well.

I'd like to meet but if you move it might have to be on board!

Hope your daughter gets picked! Let us know.

Stay safe!

Thank you for writing. I am glad you could lift and shift I do not know what will happen to our April cruise, on a different line!!  Sorry about your mother being tested positive but is adjusted to her new covid wing at the care center. Hopefully she is just positive and will not get sick. I will not be moving for quite a while.  Lots to do with the house that has been in the family since 1922 and never sold.

Yes, I hope we can meet. You mentioned the library on 53rd Lyndale how about there? Social distance of course. How about 1pm this Thurs?

26 minutes ago, vettprincess said:

Thank you for writing. I am glad you could lift and shift I do not know what will happen to our April cruise, on a different line!!  Sorry about your mother being tested positive but is adjusted to her new covid wing at the care center. Hopefully she is just positive and will not get sick. I will not be moving for quite a while.  Lots to do with the house that has been in the family since 1922 and never sold.

Yes, I hope we can meet. You mentioned the library on 53rd Lyndale how about there? Social distance of course. How about 1pm this Thurs?

Or you please send some suggestions for a meet and greet!

38 minutes ago, vettprincess said:

Vett

YES

I don't think we can do the library.

It's supposed to be nice this week. Does Kowalski's or Subway still have outdoor seating? I have to go to the library for a grab-and-go tomorrow. I'll check.

Dani - hope this sidetrack is ok.

Today, a home day.  Cleaning out the China cabinet/bureau. Donating dining room table with bureau to a family in need. 
Then new flooring and new dining room set hopefully in before 2021. 
See what happens when you save money when not cruising.  You find something else to spend it on. 
The reason it’s now a home day. 

BF03FBB6-7CE5-444E-8C06-1F38623926E5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionesss said:

Today, a home day.  Cleaning out the China cabinet/bureau. Donating dining room table with bureau to a family in need. 
Then new flooring and new dining room set hopefully in before 2021. 
See what happens when you save money when not cruising.  You find something else to spend it on. 
The reason it’s now a home day. 

Lioness, that would be a great topic for thread, or to do on here.  What are you doing with your cruise money?

Today, so far, I am playing mental hooky.  I have to write an opinion on something for a client and am suffering from writers block.  Hoping to get things started soon.  I've put on like 8 Covid pounds and have been reading about intermittent fasting. Hope the weather doesn't get to bad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Vett

YES

I don't think we can do the library.

It's supposed to be nice this week. Does Kowalski's or Subway still have outdoor seating? I have to go to the library for a grab-and-go tomorrow. I'll check.

Dani - hope this sidetrack is ok.

Yes, Kowalski's would be fine. Or whatever you suggest. I have a bank appt. at 2pm in Edina on Thurs so around 1 is fine. This would be wonderful after this almost whole year writing to each via RCL  and living very close to each other in Minneapolis!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Obviously, we don’t have your Financial well being to do this. It would be easier but we are attempting to put a lot of money down when we close on new home. We were going to list later but the market is to hot here to wait. Who knows what it will be like after January. 

M8

Not financial well being...just flipped a lot of houses.  Not really by intention (like the shows)...we got bored easily.  Would spend a lot of hard work remodeling ourselves (while we were still living in it, what a mess...and doing so again in this house).....then sell it when we got the bug.  Luckily making money on each move.  I did that with husband #1, then introduced that lifestyle to husband #2 Bucky.  😉 

This house however...won't be going up for sale.  We love it here, and it's a most comfortable simple small one level house for our aging bodies in the years to come.  

We are currently remodeling our bathroom (ADA shower).  We also did the whole kitchen ourselves, except for the counter top.  I designed it all (mostly during sleepless nights) then spent weeks putting it in.  Had to give up going to Maine that summer.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, owning your home free and clear of any mortgage is a very nice feeling.    I bought my first home 3 months before my 20th birthday.    Nice condo, I wish I had kept it as a rental unit.   

Me too, bought my first house just before I turned 19.  Borrowed 1000 from my Dad, plus added my 500 for land contract financing. Then we spent 3 years gutting and remodeling it.  Which started the first of most of my adult life of house flipping. 😉  I usually never stayed in a house more than 3 years. 

Later on, with careers becoming too intense, and the love of the house that Bucky and I spent so much time and love on the remodel, we stayed put for 20 years, which was our previous house on the water near PC. 

Now we are in this smaller (downsized) house for retirement.   And really love it here.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Domino D said:

That would get you a lot of house in ATL.

Small, densely populated country, mainly in the center.

Land at a premium.

Public transportation not adequate, and non existent on week ends.

People convergate near Tel-Aviv and surroundings, since there is were you find work. 

27 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Small, densely populated country, mainly in the center.

Land at a premium.

Public transportation not adequate, and non existent on week ends.

People convergate near Tel-Aviv and surroundings, since there is were you find work. 

That's the recipe for high cost of housing.  It is just shocking to look at housing cost outside your own bubble.  Had the same realization when we visited Vancouver a few years back.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Me too, bought my first house just before I turned 19.  Borrowed 1000 from my Dad, plus added my 500 for land contract financing. Then we spent 3 years gutting and remodeling it.  Which started the first of most of my adult life of house flipping. 😉  I usually never stayed in a house more than 3 years. 

Later on, with careers becoming too intense, and the love of the house that Bucky and I spent so much time and love on the remodel, we stayed put for 20 years, which was our previous house on the water near PC. 

Now we are in this smaller (downsized) house for retirement.   And really love it here.  

Sounds like me...I have always been a good saver and had worked 2 jobs while going to college so I had saved closed to $10K by the time I was 19.     My Nana had gifted me $2000 for college graduation.     I bought the condo with $5000 down and the rest of the money was spent on renovating.   My Dad and I renovated the home together.  It was lots of fun.     One of my part time jobs then was office helper for a general contractor so I had lots of contacts to ask questions while renovating and learning the construction business.   Plus he let me use his contractor discounts at flooring, painting, etc. stores.    

I lived in the unit while renovating (except for when the bathroom was gutted - I stayed at my parents for a couple of nights till the floor and toilet were installed).      I lived there for about 5 or 6 years and sold it for more than double what I paid for it (actually almost close to triple what I paid).    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Not financial well being...just flipped a lot of houses.  Not really by intention (like the shows)...we got bored easily.  Would spend a lot of hard work remodeling ourselves (while we were still living in it, what a mess...and doing so again in this house).....then sell it when we got the bug.  Luckily making money on each move.  I did that with husband #1, then introduced that lifestyle to husband #2 Bucky.  😉 

This house however...won't be going up for sale.  We love it here, and it's a most comfortable simple small one level house for our aging bodies in the years to come.  

We are currently remodeling our bathroom (ADA shower).  We also did the whole kitchen ourselves, except for the counter top.  I designed it all (mostly during sleepless nights) then spent weeks putting it in.  Had to give up going to Maine that summer.  

These two homes are not flippers. 😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sounds like me...I have always been a good saver and had worked 2 jobs while going to college so I had saved closed to $10K by the time I was 19.     My Nana had gifted me $2000 for college graduation.     I bought the condo with $5000 down and the rest of the money was spent on renovating.   My Dad and I renovated the home together.  It was lots of fun.     One of my part time jobs then was office helper for a general contractor so I had lots of contacts to ask questions while renovating and learning the construction business.   Plus he let me use his contractor discounts at flooring, painting, etc. stores.    

I lived in the unit while renovating (except for when the bathroom was gutted - I stayed at my parents for a couple of nights till the floor and toilet were installed).      I lived there for about 5 or 6 years and sold it for more than double what I paid for it (actually almost close to triple what I paid).    

Does sound like we indeed have a lot in common!  🙂  Sadly, some of the "new generation" just can't get their heads around work ethic like that.  Shame...as they are missing out on the wonderful feeling of "look what I have accomplished with my hard work".  Nothing like it.  😉 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

These two homes are not flippers. 😎

Neither is the home we are in now.  Will only be moving out of this one...carrying me feet first. Our last permanent home. 😉  

Possibly not our last remodel project however, we are in serious planning of looking at small homes/cottage/cabins in upper Maine.  Have driven the "land yacht" up there for 10 of the last 12 years for the summer.  Don't want to do it any longer.  Traffic has gotten really bad, and drivers are getting scarier.  Already had one wild 16 year old take off the front of our first land yacht going down the highway....don't want to go through that again.  

If we buy one, we will enjoy the summers tweaking our new little summer home.  🙂 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

Does sound like we indeed have a lot in common!  🙂  Sadly, some of the "new generation" just can't get their heads around work ethic like that.  Shame...as they are missing out on the wonderful feeling of "look what I have accomplished with my hard work".  Nothing like it.  😉 

We have 2 Sons both are in their mid/late 20's now.     One of the boys around 15 or 16 said he wanted to have his room painted.    Went to store, picked out paint, came home get all the needed supplies out of the basement and handed to him.   He looked at me like  I was from Mars.     He whined a little while doing it but when all done, he announced he really enjoyed doing that. 

The other Son is now living with his Girlfriend and I think she is the "handy person" of that household.   Even though we tried to teach the boys how to do different repairs around the house, they just weren't interested.   

Now don't get me wrong, when they are home and if either Dad or I are doing a project, they will help out but I just don't see either of them ever doing any of the renovation work I have done (as a girl too!)   I've laid my own tile, hardwood floors, hung my own kitchen cabinets, crown moulding, etc etc.    I've refinished hardwood on my own (those machines are hand to handle till you get used to it).  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have 2 Sons both are in their mid/late 20's now.     One of the boys around 15 or 16 said he wanted to have his room painted.    Went to store, picked out paint, came home get all the needed supplies out of the basement and handed to him.   He looked at me like  I was from Mars.     He whined a little while doing it but when all done, he announced he really enjoyed doing that. 

The other Son is now living with his Girlfriend and I think she is the "handy person" of that household.   Even though we tried to teach the boys how to do different repairs around the house, they just weren't interested.   

Now don't get me wrong, when they are home and if either Dad or I are doing a project, they will help out but I just don't see either of them ever doing any of the renovation work I have done (as a girl too!)   I've laid my own tile, hardwood floors, hung my own kitchen cabinets, crown moulding, etc etc.    I've refinished hardwood on my own (those machines are hand to handle till you get used to it).  

Yup, I got good at hanging drywall, doing the "mud work", concrete work, plaster, brick/block work, flooring, tile, cabinet installation, etc. Heck we even did our own roof at one of the houses we built.   All without any training. 

The one thing I can't do is plumbing and electrical. 😮  Thank goodness hubs #1 and especially hubs #2 were good at it.  Leave me alone to finish the drywall work...go do the plumbing please sweetie!.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree! Spend your money now and enjoy what you've worked so hard for as if you don't your kids will have no problem spending it for you. Either before or after you kick the bucket. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree! Spend your money now and enjoy what you've worked so hard for as if you don't your kids will have no problem spending it for you. Either before or after you kick the bucket. 

Broker told us "The best scenario...is to let the last check bounce".  😉 Going to try and follow that advice...if we can ever friggin' get to travel to spend the money again !!  😮 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Well, I'm 60 and while I know the basics of how to lay tile, we're currently having our large (12x12) bathroom renovated.  As in, the guys are upstairs right now, finishing up the tile work.  They did all the demo, and are doing all the work, including paint.  They still have to install fixtures, quartz countertop and glass shower doors.  We've done some basic stuff in our homes, but when they're done with the bathroom, they're tiling my backsplash in the kitchen.  We now pay people to do everything because we can.  Our 34 and 36 yr old married sons own homes and do a lot of the work, but they also hire out for renovations.  They do paint and my youngest DS can build/repair almost anything, but he also knows what he doesn't know. Everyone needs to know their limits.  I helped hang a kitchen cabinet and it's a PITA.    

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yup, I got good at hanging drywall, doing the "mud work", concrete work, plaster, brick/block work, flooring, tile, cabinet installation, etc. Heck we even did our own roof at one of the houses we built.   All without any training. 

The one thing I can't do is plumbing and electrical. 😮  Thank goodness hubs #1 and especially hubs #2 were good at it.  Leave me alone to finish the drywall work...go do the plumbing please sweetie!.  😉 

Same here,   My DH and I helped my Dad replace his roof a couple years ago (tear off and replaced a couple pieces of roof decking, new tar paper and architectural shingles.    We had a blast.    

I am not all that good at spackle,  I have been told I go to heavy with it. but I same here I can hang the sheetrock and tape it.   

We did our own EP Henry paver patio and absolutely love the design we did!     Always proud of our finish product every time I sit out there.   

The house we are in now is ready for a kitchen makeover and that was on my plans for this year but we have been so busy with work that we just haven't had the time.

We definitely have to meet sometime on a cruise in 2021!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

But of course -- this "sidetrack" 😁 is smack in the middle of the routine "boundaries"😁....

Hi,  Just wondering if you are able to pick up several of these masks being made in Israel and ship to all of us for formal nights when we start sailing 

https://www.yvel.com/2020/08/12/face-mask/      

They only cost something like a 1.5 million USD

• Haha 1