Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

30 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We took a vaporetto up the Grand Canal and I embarrassed myself by bursting into tears. 
Never in my life had I thought I would ever see Venice. It was an unbelievable moment, when I realized it was real. 
I was actually in Venice!

Impossible dreams do come true!

I agree loved Venice visited there 5 years ago the other amazing thing was seeing David in Florence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

When I asked in my hotel how to get to Beauchamp (Place, Street?) I pronounced it Beecham because that’s how my London friends said it. 
The concierge asked me to write it down…I did, and he said “oh, Byoo-champ.”

Regional differences are real. 
in the US, the top of your house can be the rooof, which sounds like pool, or the ruf, which sounds like look. 
But it’s always spelled roof!

Your concierge was right.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I was looking for that same feeling when we were supposed to have our 3 week Italy retirement trip last fall.  Obviously, it was cancelled.  Of the various places that we would have visited, I was most looking forward to Venice.  I'm seriously thinking of trying to replicate as much of that trip as possible for some time in 2023.  I might extend it to 4 weeks so that we'll have more time to just sit and soak up the experience.  Even at 3 weeks, I was feeling like we needed to schedule something every day, since there was so much to see and we wouldn't be in one place that long.  I'm much more relaxed now than when I was planning that trip.

Would love to see your 3 week itinerary of that that trip you were going to take if you have it down on paper somewhere. Just copy and paste it here, might help greatly for when  we travel there in the future.

22 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Y’all, short for you all, which is short for all of you. 

I just can't say y'all to one person. I actually don't even say it to more than one person.  Maybe if I were a born Texan I would.

This story bears (bares?) repeating, 

I once walked into a Baskin Robbins shop in El Paso where my sister and her family lived.  The clerk bellowed "HI Y'ALL".  I turned around thinking a bunch of people came into the store.  It was empty.  I said to the clerk "do you mean me?"  He asked "are y'all from up North"?  I think YOU ALL know what my answer was. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Ask Siri what zero divided by zero is.

She's hilarious.

Siri, after many years, still doesn’t understand me. I have tried speaking slower, trying to eliminate my southern accent, tried to e nun ci ate carefully, and she still tries to send me to Kokomo Indiana when I want to go to 4 Rivers Barbeque!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Just now, jagsfan said:

Siri, after many years, still doesn’t understand me. I have tried speaking slower, trying to eliminate my southern accent, tried to e nun ci ate carefully, and she still tries to send me to Kokomo Indiana when I want to go to 4 Rivers Barbeque!

lol.  I had a Siri and after a few months of her inability/refusal to understand my heavy Bawstin accent, we decided we were not compatible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Venice is such an amazing and unique place. I will never forget the first time I walked out of the train station and saw the Grand Canal. I was in awe.

Awe is exactly the right word. My profile pic is from Venice as a background.

We were fortunate to visit Venice many times. The first was in 1976, our 1st trip abroad. Backpackers. I was afraid to fly, so we took a "cruise ship" from Haifa to Venice. It took 5 days (with stops in Cyprus, Rhodes, Athens). BUT Venice vowed us. We split the cost of a gondola ride with another young couple from US.

Other trips involved either a car (as part of a land trip, staying in Mestre and boarding the train daily), or a rented villa in the neighboring villages and taking a train into Venice. 

The only time when we actually stayed in Venice was before our cruise. It was such a HUGE DIFFERENCE waking up IN the city and not "schlepping" ourselves from Piazzale Rome to the center !!! and back.

Being in the morning when the locals go about their business, buying newspapers, taking out the dogs, actually seeing the buildings without the crowds. It was worth every penny and, in hindsight, the only way to do it.

• Like 8

I just got chastised for having too much food in the freezer. 
Dick asked what I’m going to do if we get a Lobstergram next week. 
So tonight we’re having ribeye steak, chicken Kiev, Bagel Bites, Tiramisu, Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese English Muffins, and ice cream. 
I’ll try to think of something else for tomorrow. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

Speaking of all y'all and all things Texas, a few weeks ago we were discussing gas station convenience stores and Buc'ee in particular and how I make sure to stop in one whenever visiting family in Texas.

That got me really wanting one of their BBQ sandwiches really bad. So tomorrow at dawn I will embark in the 1,700 mile 26 hour drive to Houston to get one and some of their famous jerky. Oh, I might also pack up my step-daughter, her cat and 2+ months worth of clothing and personal items to bring her home for an extended stay thru the holidays and beyond.

But make no mistake, I'm really going for the Buc'ees! 😃

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

So tonight we’re having ribeye steak, chicken Kiev, Bagel Bites, Tiramisu, Jimmy Dean Sausage, Egg and Cheese English Muffins, and ice cream. 

Hmmm, I might have to re-route my aforementioned road trip thru Jax, FL. 😇😉

• Haha 1

So... we had one day of winter last week, and the strong winds damaged the roof of our covered and heated neighborhood pool.. It will be closed for a few days. I reverted to the 2nd choice, walking on the beach (which involves a 10 mins drive v. 3 mins to the pool 😉)

Took some pics.

_DSC4433.thumb.JPG.05a549ce7868aa93f64108bb36b485aa.JPG

_DSC4445.thumb.JPG.118ac1c8c322bbea7f5b85bb5e1dcebe.JPG

_DSC4428.thumb.JPG.0391554dc8726ded096bc5e5bb3f9732.JPG

When we got back, DH spoiled us with a fresh squeezed pomegranate juice.

IMG_6689.thumb.jpg.992b9268fe7e2efb887f48b355d750eb.jpg

• Like 21