Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@Sea Dog I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  Two of my only three cousins committed suicide when they were young ladies.  My father, who was a heart surgeon, said that the study of Psychology really only started with Freud and therefore is not very advanced yet.  I hope for future generations that there will be great strides in understanding of mental illness and depression and other conditions and development of successful treatments.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Have you ever encountered this before where you live? It is weird if it is new to you. We first experienced it in 1991, with the Oakland Hills Fire, which was very close. But in the last few years, it has happened with some regularity, from large fires that are quite a distance away. It just depends on the wind and the air pressure. 

Check out Purple Air to see if there are air quality monitoring stations near you. It is kind of alarming when the air is that bad. And it looks bad there. 

We've had smoke haze before from California and western Canada fires but never to this extent. It was very high level atmosphere stuff. I guess being 3,000 miles away it would spread up and out.

This haze is much closer to the ground & according to the weather guys, there is a narrow channel of wind that is blowing the smoke  right thu the northeastern states so it's very concentrated. NYC had the honor of being the most polluted city on the planet today. Think about that for a second when you consider some of the heavily industrialized third world countries that have lax environmental regulations.

A couple of pictures I grabbed off the WNBC (NYC) news stations website.

chrysler-building-before-after-02-ht-jt-230607_1686179352310_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg.cbad012a7470f4ab81021a18504b9f7f.jpg

new-york-skyline-before-after-ht-jt-230607_1686179614218_hpEmbed_4x3_992.jpg.eecee3a304e25388e26b2d1e07f9753e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

We've had smoke haze before from California and western Canada fires but never to this extent. It was very high level atmosphere stuff. I guess being 3,000 miles away it would spread up and out.

This haze is much closer to the ground & according to the weather guys, there is a narrow channel of wind that is blowing the smoke  right thu the northeastern states so it's very concentrated. NYC had the honor of being the most polluted city on the planet today. Think about that for a second when you consider some of the heavily industrialized third world countries that have lax environmental regulations.

A couple of pictures I grabbed off the WNBC (NYC) news stations website.

chrysler-building-before-after-02-ht-jt-230607_1686179352310_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg.cbad012a7470f4ab81021a18504b9f7f.jpg

new-york-skyline-before-after-ht-jt-230607_1686179614218_hpEmbed_4x3_992.jpg.eecee3a304e25388e26b2d1e07f9753e.jpg

Don't really "like" these images but CC doesn't have the appropriate emoji.

MY son is in PA and their air quality was in the upper 400s this afternoon.  Not good for many.  Hoping the winds blow all this away and of course the fires in Canada are extinguished.  We are even seeing some of it here in SC.  Very sad from many perspectives.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Check out Purple Air to see if there are air quality monitoring stations near you. It is kind of alarming when the air is that bad. And it looks bad there. 

Oh, and thank you for the link. There are 2 monitoring stations within 10 miles. AQI readings are 403 and 323. Since anything above 100 is considered unhealthy and it tops out at 300 with hazaderous, I'm guessing those readings are not good.

Things are supposed to improve a little bit each day and should be back to normal by the weekend as the wind shifts, hopefully to unpopulated areas.  And while this is serious to those with weak and compromised respiratory systems, it's more of an annoyance than anything. The "atmospheric rivers" you guys had this past winter was far worse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

@Sea Dog I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  Two of my only three cousins committed suicide when they were young ladies.  My father, who was a heart surgeon, said that the study of Psychology really only started with Freud and therefore is not very advanced yet.  I hope for future generations that there will be great strides in understanding of mental illness and depression and other conditions and development of successful treatments.

Totally agree. After I lost my best friend, I blamed myself. I thought why wasn’t I there for him? Why could I not see it? After going to therapy about it, I remember the therapist telling me, suicide is a selfish act. They don’t think about the impact it will have on loved ones. It helped me believe that it wasn’t my fault. Obviously there were a lot of factors that led Brad to do what he did. I understand those now but I still think about him everyday. Part of my healing was starting a FB page called The Fans of Brad Millison. It became a place where all the people that knew and loved him could tell stories and share emotions.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, akcruz said:

The site my daughter gave me is https://www.airnow.gov. it is run by the epaulets, you putin your town or zip code and see your current air quality.

My area comes up as Very Unhealthy.I have a doctors appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning.Being outside would be walking to my car

approximately 20 feet ,going from the underground parking lot to the medical building,another 20 feet and the same going home,

However,with my medical issues I may have to cancel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

My area comes up as Very Unhealthy.I have a doctors appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning.Being outside would be walking to my car

approximately 20 feet ,going from the underground parking lot to the medical building,another 20 feet and the same going home,

However,with my medical issues I may have to cancel.

If you are able wear a mask while outdoors.  Otherwise yes I would cancel and stay in.

11 minutes ago, akcruz said:

The site my daughter gave me is https://www.airnow.gov. it is run by the epaulets, you putin your town or zip code and see your current air quality.

Thanks!. Looks like my zip code is rockin a solid 325! Hazardous.   I guess tomorrow's yard work is on hold.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Totally agree. After I lost my best friend, I blamed myself. I thought why wasn’t I there for him? Why could I not see it? After going to therapy about it, I remember the therapist telling me, suicide is a selfish act. They don’t think about the impact it will have on loved ones. It helped me believe that it wasn’t my fault. Obviously there were a lot of factors that led Brad to do what he did. I understand those now but I still think about him everyday. Part of my healing was starting a FB page called The Fans of Brad Millison. It became a place where all the people that knew and loved him could tell stories and share emotions.

I never knew anyone who died in that manner but when I was 12 years old my best friend who was 10 was murdered.I saw what was happening from a block away,ran toward him but arrived to late.I developed what was termed hysterical paralysis.I could not move my arms or legs but there was nothing medically wrong with me .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Finally caught up!

We've been busy around here...Friday morning with Ryan's Awards Ceremony, Friday night with Ava's Class of 2023 Awards Ceremony..she was awarded the National Honor Society Stoll and the Visual Arts Award for Drawing and Painting Medal, both to be worn over her Graduation Robe, and the Silver Medal for being ranked top 12% of Class.  We attended Ava's Graduation this past Monday evening.  I had a great seat in the Balcony for pictures;  just not a great phone for taking pictures🫤

While we were at Ava's Graduation,  Ryan and his Mom were at his Band Banquet, where he got an award and once he's a Freshman, will be presented with a Varsity Letter from the Marching Band.

Last night, our videographer grandson Jack, and his friend and classmate won "Best Film" for their production of "School Alone", beating out all of the Upper classmen (they are both Sophomores).  They also won "Special Effects" for a 3 minute film (which took 3 days to film and edit)..(.I'm sure Greg  @Sea Dog can appreciate this)

Saturday we'll be celebrating our 2 Connecticut Granddaughters combined Graduation party..Erin from College and her sister Meghan from High School.  Next week will be Meghan's Graduation, and Ryan's 8th Grade Graduation.   

Maryann, so wonderful that you and Jim can celebrate your grandkids wonderful achievements.  I know they'll continue for a long time to come!  The gift that keeps on giving!

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Happy Birthday to Susan and enjoy your summer with your grandson.  I look forward to your photos of your activities.  Your grandson is fortunate to have such loving, active & involved grandparents.

Happy birthday to Susan from me too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So sorry for your loss and the impact it had on you. And kudo's to you for channeling that grief in a positive way.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Today is a special day, in so many ways.  The first thing I did today was wish Susan a Happy Birthday.  I had to do it from a hotel room, because we decided to stay near the airport last night so we didn’t have to get up too early.  This is happening right now. 

IMG_7484.thumb.jpeg.37b415f79ad4c3d4daa0e3d1bae18f4c.jpeg

Yes, we are flying to California this morning, so we can be at our California grandson’s fifth grade graduation ceremony tomorrow.  

We will get to spend a few days with our son, and his family before we fly back to Pennsylvania.  We plan to pick up something special to bring home with us.  For long time readers of Dani’s thread, you can probably guess what that will be!!

Yes, this will be the start of……..

IMG_7472.thumb.jpeg.214136c460967f5b5074a3501e8691df.jpeg

When asked what he wanted to do this summer, Lucas said he wanted to spend all summer in Pennsylvania with grandma and grandpa.  So, for the third summer in a row, he will be here until he goes back to school in August. 

We have some of the old time favorites planned, and maybe a few new ones this summer.   Time to ramp up the energy level to keep up with an almost 11 year old.  Wish us luck this year. 

I remember all the fun stuff you did last summer. I can't wait to see what "we" do this year!

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

After going to therapy about it, I remember the therapist telling me, suicide is a selfish act.

In the case of my two cousins, I didn’t think of it as selfish.  They were so sunk in a deep dark place…from which they saw no escape…that suicide seemed their only way out.  If you are in unbearable pain, it makes sense (to them) to try to end it.  What is needed is drugs and therapy to help them find another solution.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can't imagine how bad the wildfires impact is on areas close to the actual fires. 

The pictures posted here are chilling and unbelievable.  

I hope the fires can be contained ASAP but I read that will only come when the weather changes.

I hope our Canada friends in here are safe and not impacted greatly.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

I’m more worried about my return flight tomorrow but hoping for the best. I may book a secondary flight out of JFK just in case. 

I guess it's the smoke haze that is impacting flight tmes.  Did you check Westchester County airport (HPN)? It's small but JetBlue flies to most of the major Florida cities from there. And it's probably 30 minutes closer to Norwalk than LGA and an hour closer than JFK.  The problem is that it's in a residential neighborhood so flights are limited with very few early morning or late night flights.

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ve actually been to Vegas many times but haven’t been back since Bellagio was built. My best friend was a musician who played in Vegas for many years until his death by suicide. I used to visit and stay with him for a week at a time. After his death I just don’t have the urge to visit. 

So sorry to hear about your friend. Things like this make it hard to revisit places where we spent so many fun times.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

In the case of my two cousins, I didn’t think of it as selfish.  They were so sunk in a deep dark place…from which they saw no escape…that suicide seemed their only way out.  If you are in unbearable pain, it makes sense (to them) to try to end it.  What is needed is drugs and therapy to help them find another solution.

I'm so sorry. Yes there are many things that can drive a person. It's so sad. That's why I am firm believer in getting better medicine and therapy to those who need it.

• Like 7