Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Last night the show in the theater was some rock tribute band. The sound was so loud that I was having hearing difficulty afterwards. I finally feel almost back to normal this morning.  After that I went to The Book in Two70 and the sound level wasn't much better in there. 

I read plenty of complaints about sound level on these boards and I've experienced it myself many times. This was the first time that I've had hearing issues after a show. RCI should fix this problem. There is nothing funny about it in the least and it is a dangerous health issue.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Last night the show in the theater was some rock tribute band. The sound was so loud that I was having hearing difficulty afterwards. I finally feel back to normal this morning.  After that I went to The Book in Two70 and the sound level wasn't much better in there. 

I read plenty of complaints about sound level on these boards and I've experienced it myself many times. This was the first time that I've had hearing issues after a show. RCI should fix this problem. There is nothing funny about it in the least.

You shouldn’t have to do this but if RC aren’t going to act on the complaints, you might have to add ear wax or ear plugs to your packing list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

You shouldn’t have to do this but if RC aren’t going to act on the complaints, you might have to add ear wax or ear plugs to your packing list.

I actually have noise cancelling ear buds for when I listen to music. I didn't think to use them.

• Like 4

Our county is in the initial stages of a countywide property reassessment.  Of course, their explanation is that it will make property taxes fairer for everyone.  

Translating this, it means they have reached the limit of their taxing authority, and they need to do this to be able to raise taxes. 

Next, they say……. Don’t worry, we won’t have a windfall, because we can’t collect more than a percentage increase when the new assessments are implemented. 

Translating this means some of you will pay a lot more (because you took good care of your property), but others will pay less (because they didn’t). 

I am always leery when the government says they are doing something to help you, or make things fairer.  

So, yesterday the data collectors showed up at our door.  I was surprised how much they had wrong about our house, listing features we do not have.  Hmm, wonder if I can get a refund.  I guess I am too late to give the place the run down look. 

• Like 14

On 2/5/2024 at 11:04 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Just took a walk through some shops. I can believe how over priced the Logo Shop is. They are selling ship models for $70. Sorry but there is no value there at all. I'm glad I bought one last year. I love them but I'd be very conflicted about buying at this price. Combo cap and t-shirt are selling at $45. Last year in Aruba I got a combo for around $12. RCI is really getting out of hand with their pricing on many different levels.

That’s what they were selling for on the Icon. What did they sell for before?

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Micheline has a pair of these.  They work well.

Loop Experience Plus: 23 dB Sound Control – Loop United States (loopearplugs.com)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Our county is in the initial stages of a countywide property reassessment.  Of course, their explanation is that it will make property taxes fairer for everyone.  

Translating this, it means they have reached the limit of their taxing authority, and they need to do this to be able to raise taxes. 

Next, they say……. Don’t worry, we won’t have a windfall, because we can’t collect more than a percentage increase when the new assessments are implemented. 

Translating this means some of you will pay a lot more (because you took good care of your property), but others will pay less (because they didn’t). 

I am always leery when the government says they are doing something to help you, or make things fairer.  

So, yesterday the data collectors showed up at our door.  I was surprised how much they had wrong about our house, listing features we do not have.  Hmm, wonder if I can get a refund.  I guess I am too late to give the place the run down look. 

The 9 most terrifying words!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Last night the show in the theater was some rock tribute band. The sound was so loud that I was having hearing difficulty afterwards. I finally feel almost back to normal this morning.  After that I went to The Book in Two70 and the sound level wasn't much better in there. 

I read plenty of complaints about sound level on these boards and I've experienced it myself many times. This was the first time that I've had hearing issues after a show. RCI should fix this problem. There is nothing funny about it in the least and it is a dangerous health issue.

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I actually have noise cancelling ear buds for when I listen to music. I didn't think to use them.

For anyone who is interested, I always have with me, Noise reduction ear plugs.  Such as these:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ed9df0e354f46cc62eebad8d52134a8.jpeg

They are different than the usual squishy foam ear plugs.  The Noise reduction ear plugs have a much more even reduction across the frequency range, so they are much more musical.  Not perfect, but much better than the foam ones.

I was a Front of House sound reinforcement tech (Sound Man) for many years in my previous career and still have very good hearing.  I still protect my hearing with these reusable ear plugs that only cost around $20.  A very SOUND investment 😉

I really have a difficult time enjoying myself when performances are too loud and even get irritated.

Anyway, That is my PSA for  today 🙂

dp

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, dpostman said:

For anyone who is interested, I always have with me, Noise reduction ear plugs.  Such as these:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ed9df0e354f46cc62eebad8d52134a8.jpeg

They are different than the usual squishy foam ear plugs.  The Noise reduction ear plugs have a much more even reduction across the frequency range, so they are much more musical.  Not perfect, but much better than the foam ones.

I was a Front of House sound reinforcement tech (Sound Man) for many years in my previous career and still have very good hearing.  I still protect my hearing with these reusable ear plugs that only cost around $20.  A very SOUND investment 😉

I really have a difficult time enjoying myself when performances are too loud and even get irritated.

Anyway, That is my PSA for  today 🙂

dp

I also get irritated. I became even a bit angry last night with the aftermath that I was experiencing. It is very easy to find info on decibel levels and length of exposure. I am strongly considering writing an email to Bayley's office when I get home about this situation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I also get irritated. I became even a bit angry last night with the aftermath that I was experiencing. It is very easy to find info on decibel levels and length of exposure. I am strongly considering writing an email to Bayley's office when I get home about this situation.

We should figure out some way to organize ourselves on this issue, to increase the chances that they will actually do something.  A bunch of individuals complaining doesn't seem to have any effect.  We've complained in the past on the post cruise survey and I've heard others say that they've done so also.  At a minimum, the high volume level eliminates the enjoyment of the event.  Micheline has to actually leave (although she hadn't cruised with her Loop earplugs yet).  Worst case, they are causing hearing damage.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We should figure out some way to organize ourselves on this issue, to increase the chances that they will actually do something.  A bunch of individuals complaining doesn't seem to have any effect.  We've complained in the past on the post cruise survey and I've heard others say that they've done so also.  At a minimum, the high volume level eliminates the enjoyment of the event.  Micheline has to actually leave (although she hadn't cruised with her Loop earplugs yet).  Worst case, they are causing hearing damage.

Those of us with hearing aids don’t have that problem we already have the damage and just need to lower the volume of the hearing aids 😁

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, George C said:

Those of us with hearing aids don’t have that problem we already have the damage and just need to lower the volume of the hearing aids 😁

Not necessarily true.  Even when I have removed mine, or turned them off, the noise level has been uncomfortable on every cruise we have been on since the restart.  And I am one of those in the severe hearing loss category.

This chart gives maximum exposure levels. 

IMG_6680.thumb.jpeg.96e0080034f3d6d2ae1cfae5be1d073a.jpeg

By the way, the average concert is at 120 dB.

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Scientology ship is not in Aruba today. Where could they be.

I’ve never heard that it can move. 

17 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Wait! What?!? So it does move?!!

Tug boat?

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Apparently so. Maybe it is out on a recruiting mission.

Thankfully I wasn’t having a drink, it would have been on my iPad. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3