Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I feed my Koi fish koi food that promotes vibrancy.  I've been feeding them this for years.  Three of my fish are in the white family, and two of them have begun to show a somewhat orangey color on parts of their body.  One of them had a black spot or two on it's body, and I thought...I guess that's a new color, appearing as small dots.  I then saw a black dot on two of my other koi.  I have 10 fish.  7 koi of various sizes, and 3 huge goldfish.  

I googled koi and black spots, and read that there could be parasites.  Oh no!!  The next day, I took a water sample to the Koi place to have it tested, and I was told it was very toxic.  I was told to empty most of the pond and refill it with water, and to come back the next day.  I did just that, and brought another water sample.  Still toxic!  I have now made 5 trips to the Koi place, and we're almost there!  Each day, the water was a little better, but not quite there yet.  I've been filling the pond all day (we can only have the hose on little more than dribbling, so it's been taking 8 hours or so each filling, so as not to stress the fish)  The woman at the store said that this should do it!  I was told not to feed the fish until this gets resolved.  The fish are pretty mad at me....they no longer swim up to me, since they've come to realize that so far, I'm only there to drain their home!!  I have one more visit to the store, with my water sample, before I can feed them again.  I was told to go back on Saturday. 🤞  I've never had this problem before, so here's hoping!!

Onto the next wonderful project tomorrow.  Our pool has been loosing water, and the pool guy told us what we have to do starting tomorrow.  Mark the water level.  Wait 12 hours, then mark the water level and measure how much we've lost.  Wait another 12 hours, then turn on the filter and mark the water level, keep the filter on for another 12 hours, and mark the water.......

Oh no MaryAnn!!!!  I hope your water in the pond and the water in the pool get sorted out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I feed my Koi fish koi food that promotes vibrancy.  I've been feeding them this for years.  Three of my fish are in the white family, and two of them have begun to show a somewhat orangey color on parts of their body.  One of them had a black spot or two on it's body, and I thought...I guess that's a new color, appearing as small dots.  I then saw a black dot on two of my other koi.  I have 10 fish.  7 koi of various sizes, and 3 huge goldfish.  

I googled koi and black spots, and read that there could be parasites.  Oh no!!  The next day, I took a water sample to the Koi place to have it tested, and I was told it was very toxic.  I was told to empty most of the pond and refill it with water, and to come back the next day.  I did just that, and brought another water sample.  Still toxic!  I have now made 5 trips to the Koi place, and we're almost there!  Each day, the water was a little better, but not quite there yet.  I've been filling the pond all day (we can only have the hose on little more than dribbling, so it's been taking 8 hours or so each filling, so as not to stress the fish)  The woman at the store said that this should do it!  I was told not to feed the fish until this gets resolved.  The fish are pretty mad at me....they no longer swim up to me, since they've come to realize that so far, I'm only there to drain their home!!  I have one more visit to the store, with my water sample, before I can feed them again.  I was told to go back on Saturday. 🤞  I've never had this problem before, so here's hoping!!

Onto the next wonderful project tomorrow.  Our pool has been loosing water, and the pool guy told us what we have to do starting tomorrow.  Mark the water level.  Wait 12 hours, then mark the water level and measure how much we've lost.  Wait another 12 hours, then turn on the filter and mark the water level, keep the filter on for another 12 hours, and mark the water.......

What is causing the toxicity?

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is causing the toxicity?

I think it's a combination of several things.  The weather had been oppressively hot for a while; when it's hot, the fish want to eat more, so where I feed them in the morning and then evening, I was giving them a "snack" of a handful of food mid-day.  The more they eat, the more they "eliminate", which can cause ammonia in the water.  I usually backwash weekly, but things have been crazy lately.  I feel so badly, but the people at the Koi place said everything should be good after this last emptying/refilling and I can begin feeding them tomorrow, but certainly not as much as I had been doing.  It's the first time in our 7 years of caring from them that this has happened, but I'll tell you this.  Lesson learned!  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Good luck, Maryann🤞This is when I am happy we no longer have our pool!

To be honest, Marietta, I wish we had an above ground pool like we had on the Island.  

3 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

To be honest, Marietta, I wish we had an above ground pool like we had on the Island.  

Ours is above ground, like most of the Island!! We took out the lines and now have to get rid of the rest.  Pools are great but too much work😳

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I think it's a combination of several things.  The weather had been oppressively hot for a while; when it's hot, the fish want to eat more, so where I feed them in the morning and then evening, I was giving them a "snack" of a handful of food mid-day.  The more they eat, the more they "eliminate", which can cause ammonia in the water.  I usually backwash weekly, but things have been crazy lately.  I feel so badly, but the people at the Koi place said everything should be good after this last emptying/refilling and I can begin feeding them tomorrow, but certainly not as much as I had been doing.  It's the first time in our 7 years of caring from them that this has happened, but I'll tell you this.  Lesson learned!  

The heat and humidity we hsd this summer was extreme for many weeks.   My neighbor had a similar problem with their koi pond.  They were about to give up but then everything turned out fine.   

I'm sure the fish will be happy to be fed and forget all about it when they feel better.🤞🤞

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The heat and humidity we hsd this summer was extreme for many weeks.   My neighbor had a similar problem with their koi pond.  They were about to give up but then everything turned out fine.   

I'm sure the fish will be happy to be fed and forget all about it when they feel better.🤞🤞

Thanks Debbie.  I was so upset;  meanwhile, the pond water has been looking so clear!  If I hadn't noticed the black spot on a couple of the fish and looked it up, I probably wouldn't have gone to the Koi store.  The first day that I brought the water sample, I was told I might wind up losing some of the fish.  Thankfully, all are good!😉

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Have tomorrow off so I’m starting the long weekend right with one of my at-home faves, an Old Fashioned with maple syrup and black walnut bitters.  Cheers my friends!

IMG_4931.thumb.jpeg.537ac907a2ab24704734ef6d6386852b.jpeg

That sounds like an interesting drink!  Almost like a dessert!

Since it was just 99 here pool was pretty nice , got a email from one of my best and oldest friends, he just visited the veterans cemetery in Long Island, where two of our friends are buried, he is planning to be buried there along with his wife , government pays for everything including burial and headstone. My parents are resting in one in Denver area. Here is my mandatory Siamese picture, we now have to have one of us guard the food since they believe everything is cat food.

image.thumb.jpeg.88bbb9bcbcb078890809cc95cd80d47e.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thanks Debbie.  I was so upset;  meanwhile, the pond water has been looking so clear!  If I hadn't noticed the black spot on a couple of the fish and looked it up, I probably wouldn't have gone to the Koi store.  The first day that I brought the water sample, I was told I might wind up losing some of the fish.  Thankfully, all are good!😉

Good thing you noticed the spots.    My neighbors noticed the fish looked lethargic and when her daughter bent down to look closer she noticed a foul smell,  ammonia. 

They moved in this past winter and acquired the pond with the home. 

They went into panic mode thinking they were going to kill all the fish.  They all survived after doing the same thing you are doing.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, George C said:

Since it was just 99 here pool was pretty nice , got a email from one of my best and oldest friends, he just visited the veterans cemetery in Long Island, where two of our friends are buried, he is planning to be buried there along with his wife , government pays for everything including burial and headstone. My parents are resting in one in Denver area. Here is my mandatory Siamese picture, we now have to have one of us guard the food since they believe everything is cat food.

image.thumb.jpeg.88bbb9bcbcb078890809cc95cd80d47e.jpeg

I don't see the toy hanging anymore😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Have tomorrow off so I’m starting the long weekend right with one of my at-home faves, an Old Fashioned with maple syrup and black walnut bitters.  Cheers my friends!

IMG_4931.thumb.jpeg.537ac907a2ab24704734ef6d6386852b.jpeg

Winning!!!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

That sounds like an interesting drink!  Almost like a dessert!

I usually don't like my OFs on the sweet side.  In fact, I usually only put a little bit of simple syrup, I like the bite of the bourbon.  When I make OFs for my wife and I, I always double her sweetness and halve mine (kinda like in real life 🤣).  But this one hits just right.  It's sweet with a definite taste to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Winning!!!!

I love experimenting with different OF recipes.  Different bitters, sweeteners, slightly different measures of bourbon/rye.  It's fun to come up with new ideas!  The only problem is I never write anything down so I've probably never made the same one twice 🤣

• Like 3

Just now, Husky1987 said:

I love experimenting with different OF recipes.  Different bitters, sweeteners, slightly different measures of bourbon/rye.  It's fun to come up with new ideas!  The only problem is I never write anything down so I've probably never made the same one twice 🤣

I love experimenting too. Different bitters can really elevate a cocktail with more complexity. I like adding different syrups too. That’s how I experiment with tiki cocktails.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I don't see the toy hanging anymore😁

They sometimes bring it to the upper level but it is still attached, totally shocked it is still there . Sometimes they both attack the thing from two different levels. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@grapau27 Graham and Pauline, Happy and Healthy Anniversary 

to a beautiful couple.

@TravelGirlinDallas Happy 50th Birthday to Brian.  So handsome!

@Luckynana Maryann, hope all is well with your Koi fish and your pond and pool.  We had a super large above the ground pool in NY and got rid of it.  Wasn't worth all the money we had to pour (forgive the pun) into its upkeep.

@ReneeFLL Renee and Mike, have a wonderful cruise with smooth sails.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1