Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We never have a lot in a cart, so not sure how it works in that situation, but it worked well for us. 

It uses technology called passive RFID (Radio Frequency Identification).  There are small RFID "tags" attached to each product.  It's called passive because the tags have no batteries and don't normally send out any sort of signal, as opposed to active tags that are powered and constantly send out a signal (and are a lot more expensive).  There is an RFID tag reader in the arch that you push your cart through.  The reader sends out an electric signal which gives the passive tags enough power to "wake up" and send a radio signal...typically the UPC code.  It's therefore similar to scanning each item's barcode, but an entire cart can be done at once. 

The reader should have no problem with a full cart, unless you have a lot of really dense materials packed tightly in the cart, like several cases of liquid laundry detergent.  That could attenuate the signal so that items in the middle of the cart get missed.  That applies more to a large pallet of tightly stacked product though rather than a shopping cart.  Scanning items as you put them in the cart is more about making the customer feel comfortable that the RFID scan through the arch is accurate so that they aren't being over charged, and to discourage people from trying to steal something.  The store really just needs the RFID scan to accurately see what you're buying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I hope you enjoyed it and the thunderstorms didn't impact you too badly.

Saturday was OK.  We dodged the rain at Ft. Clinch and then were in and out of stores downtown.  Yesterday was perfect for a really nice sightseeing cruise and more shopping. Lots of ice cream may have been consumed.

• Like 6

A quick weekend update for Owen and his now completed baseball season. It was their local league tourney this weekend.  It started Friday at 8:30pm and we got home last night at 9pm. I thought we would have been knocked out by noon on Saturday.  Then we could start to pack for our cruise September 1st.

They played against 6 other teams. Owen’s team didn’t do well through the regular season of play, finishing second to last but always played well in tournaments. They lost their first game against the 3rd place host team, but from there they just kept winning. Five more games in total, They went on to knock out the 1st, 4th and 5th place teams on the way to become the Champs.  With other teams having 3-5 players more they just kept going.  Just goes to prove the expression right, that anything can happen in baseball. 

How it started.

IMG_6748.thumb.jpeg.b291b02104215300a4675e2cd7724e22.jpeg

How it ended. 

IMG_6762.thumb.jpeg.65b07d1b966c08fc6eecf7cf851f930b.jpeg

• Like 29

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

It uses technology called passive RFID (Radio Frequency Identification).  There are small RFID "tags" attached to each product.  It's called passive because the tags have no batteries and don't normally send out any sort of signal, as opposed to active tags that are powered and constantly send out a signal (and are a lot more expensive).  There is an RFID tag reader in the arch that you push your cart through.  The reader sends out an electric signal which gives the passive tags enough power to "wake up" and send a radio signal...typically the UPC code.  It's therefore similar to scanning each item's barcode, but an entire cart can be done at once. 

The reader should have no problem with a full cart, unless you have a lot of really dense materials packed tightly in the cart, like several cases of liquid laundry detergent.  That could attenuate the signal so that items in the middle of the cart get missed.  That applies more to a large pallet of tightly stacked product though rather than a shopping cart.  Scanning items as you put them in the cart is more about making the customer feel comfortable that the RFID scan through the arch is accurate so that they aren't being over charged, and to discourage people from trying to steal something.  The store really just needs the RFID scan to accurately see what you're buying.

If they have RFID tags on them, they are well disguised, or they are embedded in the packaging. 

Sam’s implies it is all done with AI and camera technology 

IMG_7309.thumb.jpeg.0e0a4b4f41922bb8087ef51efa58204f.jpeg

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

A quick weekend update for Owen and his now completed baseball season. It was their local league tourney this weekend.  It started Friday at 8:30pm and we got home last night at 9pm. I thought we would have been knocked out by noon on Saturday.  Then we could start to pack for our cruise September 1st.

They played against 6 other teams. Owen’s team didn’t do well through the regular season of play, finishing second to last but always played well in tournaments. They lost their first game against the 3rd place host team, but from there they just kept winning. Five more games in total, They went on to knock out the 1st, 4th and 5th place teams on the way to become the Champs.  With other teams having 3-5 players more they just kept going.  Just goes to prove the expression right, that anything can happen in baseball. 

How it started.

How it ended. 

Congratulations to Owen and the team. Way to go!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Saturday was OK.  We dodged the rain at Ft. Clinch and then were in and out of stores downtown.  Yesterday was perfect for a really nice sightseeing cruise and more shopping. Lots of ice cream may have been consumed.

Any hotel suggestions or things to do ideas?

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Five more games in total, They went on to knock out the 1st, 4th and 5th place teams on the way to become the Champs.  With other teams having 3-5 players more they just kept going.  Just goes to prove the expression right, that anything can happen in baseball. 

Congrats to Owen and his team!!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 9:16 AM, mets07 said:

Yesterday a beautiful day here in the New Jersey / New York area. Today expected to be as well. 

We drove to the beach at Robert Moses State Park, Long Island, New York. Here are some photos:

NYC from the George Washington Bridge as we "crawled" over .... 

20240823_074409.thumb.jpg.ec06c2b1d4879f0613a901a61f28cff5.jpg

At the beach. A pretty calm ocean and we saw a bunch of dolphins (not pictured) as well.

20240823_101938.thumb.jpg.0f7227b9c8b075a290943a0590b00b12.jpg

We walked by the Fire Island Lighthouse on our way to the town of Kismet for lunch.

20240823_124929.thumb.jpg.7a5dca8805720621390daedf64144a03.jpg

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

PS We did a B2B in Europe in July / early August on Anthem. Our first cruising in Europe. Loved it! 

I did the exact same trip yesterday.  Except instead of crawling over the George Washington Bridge, i crawled over the Throgs Neck Bridge.  No pics as I was driving.  

Got one of the last parking spots at Field #5, they closed off the entrance a few cars behind me. Walking onto the beach, I looked to the left & saw the crowds 

20240825_1306432.thumb.jpg.c042542936b201d7f1a7bd1cf3015399.jpg

To the right was less crowded, so I went to the right. 

20240825_1306572.thumb.jpg.a98384b0ca38088b173bdc6a889622b6.jpg

I headed over to Kismet for a bite to drink & a frosty beer.  I tend to favor the Kismet Inn. Although the place next to it has better food, the Kismet Inn has the kind of dive beach bar vibe that appeals to me.  

20240825_183453.thumb.jpg.60b4b5a9bcb8bfb58e1375a81ca644c7.jpg

Ironically,  the place next to it is named The Dive even though it's more upscale.

Sunset from Kismet 

20240815_193159.thumb.jpg.cf4d36253853012c830461fce7000910.jpg

And of course,  the Fire Island Lighthouse  on the walk back to Robert Moses State Park. 

20240825_2004522.thumb.jpg.df1089d3ac3db799f54d2e96321ccb6c.jpg

• Like 25

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

I headed over to Kismet for a bite to drink & a frosty beer.  I tend to favor the Kismet Inn. Although the place next to it has better food, the Kismet Inn has the kind of dive beach bar vibe that appeals to me.  

Totally agree. That is where we had lunch. 

🏖️ 🍻

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Any hotel suggestions or things to do ideas?

We got an AirBnB.  It was a nice condo with a balcony facing the ocean on the 6th floor.  A nice pool too.  If it hadn't been raining we would have spent more time at Ft Clinch.  The trails looked interesting.  Downtown was super cute, with different shops, ice cream and good restaurants.  We really enjoyed the Amelia Island cruises trip that went by Cumberland Island.  20240825_110550.thumb.jpg.c4655a434f20be140fdc93f764f27da0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We really enjoyed the Amelia Island cruises trip that went by Cumberland Island.  

Cumberland island is nice.  We are looking at visiting it again, either on our trip south before Christmas, or on our way back north in February. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

How it started.

How it ended. 

Owen's Team saved the Best for Last!  Congratulations Owen and Teammates!  Well Done!!

• Like 3