Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think I know the answer to this question before asking, especially with this audience, but I'll ask anyway.  When we move into our new Florida house, I'll have the opportunity to set up the outdoor cooking area from scratch.  Is it worth investing in a BGE?  What else would you suggest that we include outside?  I currently have a Weber gas grill, hard piped to natural gas, but I'd like to step up my game.  There is something to be said though for near instant heat at the push of a button.

I will always bow to the more serious/experienced posters on here.  I am at best a Division 2 BGE guy, moving towards Mid Major.  How often will you use it?  That is the question.  Whatever you grill will be MILES better than propane. I'm not retired yet, so it is a weekend thing at my house.  Propane is the nightly go to still, and my wife wants no part of the BGE, so it's me or nobody.  It's not that big a deal to get it ready once you get a routine, but it isn't pushing a button. 

As far as other equipment, a sink and outdoor tv were really impactful for us.

46 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think I know the answer to this question before asking, especially with this audience, but I'll ask anyway.  When we move into our new Florida house, I'll have the opportunity to set up the outdoor cooking area from scratch.  Is it worth investing in a BGE?  What else would you suggest that we include outside?  I currently have a Weber gas grill, hard piped to natural gas, but I'd like to step up my game.  There is something to be said though for near instant heat at the push of a button.

We have a gas grill too but seldom use it. We are building a new home and it will include and outdoor kitchen (country kitchen) with a large gas grill top. We want to start cooking breakfast outside. I personally like the BGE. It’s relaxing to me to go out by the pool with a beer or two (or more), setting up for the cook, starting the lump coal, adding my fav wood chunks, letting it heat up, drinking another beer, and then the cook. It gets more complicated when doing a long cook like a butt. @John&LaLa does a lot of these. He does it without much aid. I like using my flame boss. 

We don’t have natural gas here, we use propane.  The BGE is a step up in price. The accessories I bought are a big expense as well. Browse Ceramic Grill store for ideas. 

There is definitely a learning curve for the BGE. Each size is unique. Go with what you are comfortable with. 

Hope this helps. 

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Ok. We had a few steaks leftover from our cook on Wednesday. We decided to cook them tonight before they went bad. They are great for steak and eggs. 

I wasn’t rushed so I paid more attention to detail to get the grill marks correct. 

Two skinny ribeye and two sirloin. 

C08569B5-8179-4A21-A4F6-C0F86E0F10DE.jpeg

1DED7D09-9210-4111-B440-C66A06FF6A5A.jpeg

A848DB71-C792-4A35-AEF2-46BC93C6E303.jpeg

D9B8F894-5069-4819-AD33-8066FAD1EB4E.jpeg

9BC7E15A-DA69-4D1B-AAB3-516830548A21.jpeg

EE0876A0-5A96-4D8A-A585-842D0DE2D02E.jpeg

871D3C77-C59F-4B68-AE24-B254FA4B6F19.jpeg

They look perfect to me.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Thanks JC. The ones I cooked on the XL Wednesday didn’t have the grid marks I like. I don’t think I let it get hot enough. It was a virgin cook on the XL. I let the coals get hotter next time. 

I’m pretty used to cooking on the L BGE. But it took me a while to get the hang of regulating the vents for proper cook. 

M8

Did I notice two vents on bottom🤔

Thanks for the replies.  Since we will still want to do some "quick" grilling of steaks, burgers, chicken, etc., we'll probably need a gas grill.  I like the idea of what M8 describes as his cooking process...just not sure that I'm ready to invest the time.  We may add a BGE later when we want to expand our cooking techniques.  I have no doubt, from what I've read, that we can get better flavor from a Kamado grill.  I've even read that you can create a wood fired pizza, which sounds intriguing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for the replies.  Since we will still want to do some "quick" grilling of steaks, burgers, chicken, etc., we'll probably need a gas grill.  I like the idea of what M8 describes as his cooking process...just not sure that I'm ready to invest the time.  We may add a BGE later when we want to expand our cooking techniques.  I have no doubt, from what I've read, that we can get better flavor from a Kamado grill.  I've even read that you can create a wood fired pizza, which sounds intriguing.

Pizza is on my to do list.

I have added a propane flat top, still learning how to use it. Lots of thoughts about perfecting my tepanyaki game. 4' wide was $200 at SAMS.

As far as BGE, love mine, i like smoking up the neighborhood 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I’m with you. Get/keep the gas grill if it works for you. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it. There are other Kamado grills out there that are about half the price of BGE. BGE does have a great warranty. My SIL dome cracked and he bought his second hand and they replaced it no questions asked. They replaced my ring and hinge when I paid them to replace the gasket. BGE has a lot of available accessories and awesome support group. 

M8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Cholesterol free too. 😇

Thanks

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent.

I am extremely sure they are delicious and well worth the hit.  But Graham be careful,  if he basted in them statin they wouldn't be Cholesterol free.  He is a denier .  A well respected, kind, and great griller, but still a denier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 7:09 PM, John&LaLa said:

What kind of cart do you have? Ours is an EZGO RXV

LOL...so funny of course...we don't play golf.  But I am assuming you love using your cart to get around the community as we do.  Ours is a Club Car, 4 seater.  Great for taking to the couple of restaurants we have, the post office, visiting, or just a trip to the recycle area.  Also love just puttering around the community within the blistering 15 mile an hour speed limit....whooo hooo!  😉  We also have a long nature trail that is golf cart, bicycle and pedestrian only.  See lots of wildlife.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pizza is on my to do list

We have cooked Pizza on the BGE. Some pretty good, some not so good. Looking forward to trying the XL for a Pizza. 

51 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

As far as BGE, love mine, i like smoking up the neighborhood 

I’d say you are definitely the “butt” King. 😱

Check out the double quote. 😇

M8

• Like 1

Arrived on Marathon Key in the "land yacht" yesterday for our 2 week stay.  View is from my "dash board desk" that I am currently typing on, and 2nd is picture of our site from the back facing out to the Gulf of Mexico, which is a drive in forward site on the seawall.  Bucky's Jeep and our kayaks we hope to use once the winds come off.  Breezy with off and on rain today.  

20201019_123925.jpg

20201019_130246.jpg

• Like 3

Nice set up!  When we retire we will probably do something similar, but without the land yacht.  Probably a Trailmanor behind my Gladiator, or its future replacement.  I drove a land yacht a couple of years ago in Alaska for a week.  Probably don’t want to do that full time.  

JC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Nice set up!  When we retire we will probably do something similar, but without the land yacht.  Probably a Trailmanor behind my Gladiator, or its future replacement.  I drove a land yacht a couple of years ago in Alaska for a week.  Probably don’t want to do that full time.  

JC

I'd like to try a mid 70's GMC