Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Thank Heavens this week is over.  It was long and tiring.  I really wish I was going on a Thanksgiving cruise.  Oh well, I'm going to pay one of the neighbor kids to stand at the bottom of stairs and ask me if I want my photo taken, when I eat dinner this week.  Also, may fold my towel like an animal.  Thinking snake and eel are top candidates.  I suppose I could also put a sign up on one of the spare bedrooms "Suite Lounge" and then deny myself entry.  Even on my fake cruise I won't spring for a suite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Cant say that this type of dinner (even full with protein) is a good type of dinner to have on a regular basis. I would also get some steamed vegies and some real meat like sausages  or something or beef. I like it when my meal has all kinds of different stuff 

I think I'm having a peanut butter sandwich.  It's okay, I like peanut butter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

I’ve really got to start practicing my cinematic speeds more...I’m definitely moving the controller too fast when trying to span distances on video. 😩

The kid has a weak throwing arm in the first video in post#1740. I hope it's not your kid. Apologies if it is. 😇. If it is, I'm sure the drone distracted him.

24 minutes ago, Domino D said:

I think I'm having a peanut butter sandwich.  It's okay, I like peanut butter.

A Peanut butter sandwich is good anytime of the day. Kick it up a notch with Apple butter and toast the bread. Or go full Elvis Presley with banana and bacon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The kid has a weak throwing arm in the first video in post#1740. I hope it's not your kid. Apologies if it is. 😇. If it is, I'm sure the drone distracted him.

Huh, I thought the adult was working on ground balls and needed to get both hands down there and gator it. I figured the kid was doing his (or her) part purposefully. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, singinalot said:

definitely not mine 🙂 step son is 19 and step daughter 16...she also just got her license this week and is thoroughly enjoying that.

If your step daughter is anything like my step daughter, you won't see her again until she is 18. lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

After cooking a very tasteful lamb stew for all the family, DH, who doesn't eat meat, was left to fend for himself😁.... Jordan river trout.

20201024_131820.jpg 2.jpg

We loved the veggies in Israel last year. Didn’t know there were so many different ways to prepare them.  Most the hotels we stayed in had breakfast buffets. I did miss having my bacon/sausage for breakfast. We had lots of good salmon instead. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, singinalot said:

oh yeah we know it! I’ve been trying to prepare Nate for it. 

Lesson number 1. When the late night phone call starts with "Please don't get mad, but.......", try to not let his imagination run wild. It's almost never as bad as it would seem. 🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, singinalot said:

oh yeah we know it! I’ve been trying to prepare Nate for it. 

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Lesson number 1. When the late night phone call starts with "Please don't get mad, but.......", try to not let his imagination run wild. It's almost never as bad as it would seem. 🙂

Or, "I'm okay but".  Or, "You won't believe my luck"

Make sure Nate has her change a tire while he's watching.  Or get her AAA. Avoids the late night "Do I have a spare tire?" call, followed by the "Do I have a jack?" call. 

Also, I got my son a wrangler for a first car.  It was manual transmission.  No one ever borrowed his car, and the cow catcher style front bumper meant he was going to have much less damage then what he hit.  Worked great when he cut it to tight in the driveway and ripped the outdoor water tap off the garage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Make sure Nate has her change a tire while he's watching.  Or get her AAA. Avoids the late night "Do I have a spare tire?" call, followed by the "Do I have a jack?" call. 

AAA is a must.  Plus, you get discounts! (cross-reference that to AARP on another thread...LOL).

I should have taught my step daughter how to change her own oil. Her first car was a hand-me-down  as I coincidentally treated myself to a new car at the same time. She put 45K miles on it the first year.

Teaching her how to drive in the snow always makes for a fun bonding moment.  None of that fancy four-wheel drive, traction control, "snow" mode transmission nonsense.  It was a base model compact car - Geo Prism. Just good ole feather the gas pedal and steer into the skid. It did have anti-lock brakes, for what that's worth,

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I should have taught my step daughter how to change her own oil. Her first car was a hand-me-down  as I coincidentally treated myself to a new car at the same time. She put 45K miles on it the first year.

My sons Jeep was leaking in my driveway.  I told him to get it checked out.  Next day he told me it was power steering fluid.  I asked him "Did you find out how much it will cost to fix?  He said "No, I went to Advance Auto and got a gallon of power steering fluid and couple cardboard boxes."  I can't remember how long he drove around carrying both with him. 

• Haha 2

I also recommend AAA.  Our membership (in addition to hotel discounts) has been used a few times by my daughters.  Good peace of mind for the parents. 

I still fondly remember my father teaching me to drive in the snow (grew up in Buffalo).  He would take me to a large shopping mall parking lot when it was closed and covered with snow.  Had me doing lots of skids, slides, and donuts to get used to how the car handled.  That was all before front wheel drive.  I felt very confident driving in slippery conditions...until my first experience with black ice.

@singinalot - Does your Mavic Mini have a tripod mode?  Makes for smoother video

@dani negreanu - I would gladly eat that trout instead of meat any day!  Looks delicious.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We loved the veggies in Israel last year. ..... I did miss having my bacon/sausage for breakfast. We had lots of good salmon instead. 

Almost all hotels in Israel have to adhere to "kosher" laws - no pork at all, no mixing meat & cheese on the same meal, no hot meals on Saturday. Only small boutique hotels cater to "secular" guests....

One of the reason I love b'fast on cruises is that I can ask for scrambled eggs with "ham and cheese" and then add some bacon to my plate....

OTOH, DH is always on the look out for some slices of tomatoes/cucumbers/green peppers to prepare a nice salad as he's used to do at home, only to discover that there is no olive oil to be found....😜

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I also recommend AAA.  Our membership (in addition to hotel discounts) has been used a few times by my daughters.  Good peace of mind for the parents. 

I still fondly remember my father teaching me to drive in the snow (grew up in Buffalo).  He would take me to a large shopping mall parking lot when it was closed and covered with snow.  Had me doing lots of skids, slides, and donuts to get used to how the car handled.  That was all before front wheel drive.  I felt very confident driving in slippery conditions...until my first experience with black ice.

@singinalot - Does your Mavic Mini have a tripod mode?  Makes for smoother video

@dani negreanu - I would gladly eat that trout instead of meat any day!  Looks delicious.

My Father was a stock car race driver and I grew up around cars and helped changed out engines, transmissions, exhausts, etc.  you name it I did it!   to this day I still do my own brakes, oil and whatever I can on my own cars.     When I 16 yrs. old there was older man broken down on a major road near me.   I pulled over to help him and he figured since I was a teenage girl I would be of no help but he went on tell me what happened and asked if I could drive him to nearest pay phone (way before cell phones).     I proceeded to pop his hood and discovered the problem and fixed it with my hand tool box to this day I always keep in my trunk and in a matter of minutes he was driving away.   He was literally shocked.    at that time I felt safe giving him my name.    a couple days later I received a big bouquet of flowers with a huge thank you note at my house and he called my parents to tell them how wonderful I was to help him and he couldn't believe it. 

The first time I drove I was 12 and drove one of my Dad's race cars on the daytona track.   That is something I will never forget.      My Mom stood on the sideline scared to death as I was going 150 +/- mph.   I was told 2 laps and then I stop.    there was no way I was stopping at 2 laps.    I think I did about 5 or 6 laps before I pulled over.      

When I was 15 we had a major snow storm of around 25 to 30" of snow in PA and when we were done shoveling my Dad said okay time to teach me how to drive in snow.     I was thrilled.   I already owned my own car and had been rebuilding for it to be ready when i turned 16 so we hoped in that car and went out riding.   I was having a blast fishtailing, spinning wheels, etc.      Then he told me to turn on this road that has a major hill and kids always go sledding on.   I did and I panicked when a sledder was coming right at me and I stopped midway up the hill.   Now we were stuck!      He explained exactly what I needed to do to get out of the situation and  did it and it worked.      Will never forget that day.    

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Almost all hotels in Israel have to adhere to "kosher" laws - no pork at all, no mixing meat & cheese on the same meal, no hot meals on Saturday. Only small boutique hotels cater to "secular" guests....

One of the reason I love b'fast on cruises is that I can ask for scrambled eggs with "ham and cheese" and then add some bacon to my plate....

OTOH, DH is always on the look out for some slices of tomatoes/cucumbers/green peppers to prepare a nice salad as he's used to do at home, only to discover that there is no olive oil to be found....😜

Thanks. My opinion was that Isarel had great farming for veggies and fruits. We visited a few places that grew these along with bio bees & bugs. So much good technology in Isarel. 

Fish seems to be abundant. We ate at a winery and had a steak dinner. The meat was thin and like cardboard. We had chicken and salmon most the other times. We did see a lot of cattle while there. 

M8

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, singinalot said:

remember when I was 16 and went to fill my old beater up with gas for the first time...I had no idea what I was doing and it was so embarrassing.

Similar situation with my daughter.  She knew how to get gas just fine but the first time she pulled up to a pump where you couldn’t pay by credit card she was lost.  She had absolutely no idea you had to go inside to pay.   

Calling home because the teacup or sailboat light was on are whole different stories. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My sister and mother who live in NY have NEVER pumped their own gas.  That said I have not pumped my own gas in over 10 years (that's Dan's job) and not sure if I remember how either.  Not sure if still true but I believe in NJ you are not allowed to pump your own gas  There are no full serve gas stations where I live so some day I may have to figure it out.  Oh wait, I'll get an electric car, problem solved😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

My sister and mother who live in NY have NEVER pumped their own gas.  That said I have not pumped my own gas in over 10 years (that's Dan's job) and not sure if I remember how either.  Not sure if still true but I believe in NJ you are not allowed to pump your own gas  There are no full serve gas stations where I live so some day I may have to figure it out.  Oh wait, I'll get an electric car, problem solved😇

I don't think I was a Princess growing up, but when I bought my first brand new car when I was 20 I lived at home.

My father always pumped my gas, and I of course would gratefully pay him.

So even when I moved out to my first apartment when I would come home to mooch homemade food, My dad would ask if I needed gas, and I always timed it right and he would go and get it for me.

Then I got married.  

He  missed getting my gas, and was recently retired after my wedding.  

So not only did he continue to pump the gas, he would also take me to work when I worked 3-11pm (nurse anesthetist).

Never drove the car after sunset.  (Unless it was bar hopping, but he did not need to know that).

Then, my DH started to pump the gas.

Since I started driving when I was 20, and I just recently retired.  I have never pumped gas.

Had a scare recently.

I had to visit my DD in Bowling Green Ohio, and take her some wedding stuff to look over and it is more than a one tank trip.

Guess what???

Bowling Green still has a full service gas station that pumps gas and even washed the windows. (Route 25 in town).

Yea paid a tad more, but I do not do the bills.

Stay healthy

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

This was meant to say we didn’t see a lot of cattle there. 

I was indeed wondering.... since we import most of our beef meat.

Thought to myself -- "may be they visited a lot on the Golan Heights" where there are most of the cattle farms.

• Like 1