Use Stimulus Funds to Buy CCL Stock...?

NavyCruiser

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thinking of using our combined $2400 to buy 100 shares of RCL stock at around $22 & 100 shares of CCL stock at $8, around $3000 total.

So that considered re-investing into the economy...?

Buying stock just transfers the money to the individual who is selling the stock. Just like buying a used car. None of it goes back to the company.

• Like 2

We have thought about that also. Only purchasing 100 shares though.
Most of our stimulus checks will go towards medical bills. I had major surgery at the end of February and I know those bills are going to be coming in soon. And I am on medical time off (would be an essential employee if not) until mid-May without pay.

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

Royal is a Liberian company.

Royal Caribbean is owned by RCCL since 1997 and based in Miami. Some ships are registered in Liberia as to skate U.S. taxes. You will see many U.S. yachts in Miami registered in the Cayman Islands for the same reason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

No, Carnival is in Panama and I believe Royal is in Bahamas. 

No, you are thinking about where their cruise ships are registered. That’s not what was asked. Carnival Corporation & plc (the organization that owns Carnival Corporation) is comprised of Carnival Corporation, which is a US company, and Carnival plc, which is a British company. It’s actually the only company in the world listed on both country’s stock exchanges. 

Edited by Cruising_Addict
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Royal Caribbean is owned by RCCL since 1997 and based in Miami. Some ships are registered in Liberia as to skate U.S. taxes. You will see many U.S. yachts in Miami registered in the Cayman Islands for the same reason

The Corporate offices are in Miami, though they are a Liberian company, with ship registered in several countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

You are mistaken in why the ships are not registered in the US.  Has nothing to do with taxes.  They are not built in US shipyards, therefore they cannot be registered in the US.  There are no shipyards in the US building large cruise ships.  Very small ones, yes.  EM

I don't think Carnival is going to need a bailout.  They just raised 6.25 Billion from bond and equity sales yesterday.  That said, at $8 a share, Carnival stock is very over sold.  Their book value is at least at $30 a share, so this does look like a very good investment for a longterm investor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, john91498 said:

No, Carnival is in Panama and I believe Royal is in Bahamas. 

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is incorporated in Liberia.

1 hour ago, Cruising_Addict said:

No, you are thinking about where their cruise ships are registered. That’s not what was asked. Carnival Corporation & plc (the organization that owns Carnival Corporation) is comprised of Carnival Corporation, which is a US company, and Carnival plc, which is a British company. It’s actually the only company in the world listed on both country’s stock exchanges. 

Carnival Corporation is incorporated in Panama and headquartered in Miami. They are not an American company.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Royal Caribbean International’s ships are registered in the Bahamas. They do not register their ships in Liberia.

Edited by xDisconnections

11 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thinking of using our combined $2400 to buy 100 shares of RCL stock at around $22 & 100 shares of CCL stock at $8, around $3000 total.

Do you think the CCL, RCL share price has Bottomed?

I think the approx 80% price drop in Carnival and  RCL share price,  prices-in a lot of future pain..but, it does not necessarily mean you are buying at the best time!

I think Carnivals Bond refinancing is good and timely but.

Right now Carnival's last Cruises are having enormous trouble disembarking crew. (Sydney Australia issues etc.)

The world-wide lock-down has 6 weeks minimum to go.

After lockdown ends  ships will have to get approval from Health authorities that they are safe! Possibly another 6 weeks delay.

So what will happen to the share price in the next 12 weeks?

Will any one have any paid holiday leave, to go on a holiday let alone a cruise ship.

Will any one have any disposable income left after 6 to 12 Week of lock-down.

If you buy now and the cruise line goes into bankruptcy you have kissed your money goodbye.

Carnival is no longer a $50 stock  but it might in the future be a $20-$30 Stock.

I am going to wait out a few weeks and bump out the bottom, passed bankruptcy and then look at cruise lines or Berkshire (I figure BRK can't go Bankrupt).

3 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Actually yesterday they said the "checks" which are direct deposited should be showing up in 2 weeks 

Last week they said it would be 3 weeks for Direct Deposit .

This week they now say that they improved on it to 2 weeks .

I predict that next week they will improve on it once again and make it 1 week .

17 hours ago, SeaScout said:

Are RCL and CCL American corporations?  Not being obtuse. I really don't know.  

Here we go...it will depend on how you define your terms.  They are different things for different purposes.  I think, "multinational" might be a good, but unsatisfactory, answer.  

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Last week they said it would be 3 weeks for Direct Deposit .

This week they now say that they improved on it to 2 weeks .

I predict that next week they will improve on it once again and make it 1 week .

April 17th

22 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

No.

The intent is for people to buy hard goods or services.  For example we are using our money plus some savings to have the exterior of the house repainted.  The painting company owner gets money, the actual painters are paid,  the store that the painting company buys its paint from gets money, their employees get paid.  They then can go out buy grocery/dinners etc.  It is called a multiplier.

If you buy stock, you are buying from an individual or trading company who will use the funds to buy other stock, which doesn't provide the intended stimulus.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

You are mistaken in why the ships are not registered in the US.  Has nothing to do with taxes.  They are not built in US shipyards, therefore they cannot be registered in the US.  There are no shipyards in the US building large cruise ships.  Very small ones, yes.  EM

Incorrect.  They can certainly be registered in the US.  That is independent from being Jones Act or PVSA compliant.

• Like 1