CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

Not posted here before but have been following what's been going on. I can confirm that my refund has just happened.

The details...
I booked the cruise direct with P&O using my credit card.
Cruise Number: N004
Ship: Ventura
Embarkation: 17th March 2020
I received an email from P&O cancelling the cruise on 14th March 2020. 
I requested a refund using the online form on 16th March 2020.
My credit card company received the refund on May 13th.
I did not receive an email saying the refund had taken place - the money just turned up.

I hope everyone else gets sorted out soon.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Sarah.

She emailed me straight back saying 7 working days and that they are now telling people 10 working days.

I said it's the slowest Bacs I have ever known but she said they are doing them as well as other duties!!

If it is Sarah Wing, she told us a different story in each email we had from her and when I spoke to her it was yet another story.

25 minutes ago, CruisedBefore said:

Not posted here before but have been following what's been going on. I can confirm that my refund has just happened.

The details...
I did not receive an email saying the refund had taken place - the money just turned up.

Welcome!  I should have been on the same cruise as you by the looks of it 🙂  I also didn't receive any email, but mine came across just today.  Same direct booking and I completed the form a day earlier.  Pleased that you have finally received your money back too.

• Like 1

Thank you to all those who do not post regularly but have been kind enough to let us know they have their refunds... 

It kills the theory spouted on here by some that loads were being refunded, they just wasn't telling us... 

Andy 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, CruisedBefore said:

The details...

Good news, thanks for posting.

40 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

If it is Sarah Wing, she told us a different story in each email we had from her and when I spoke to her it was yet another story.

Yes that's the lady.

Edited by grapau27

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you to all those who do not post regularly but have been kind enough to let us know they have their refunds... 

It kills the theory spouted on here by some that loads were being refunded, they just wasn't telling us... 

Andy 

Yes I agree.  Also adds to the theory that customer pressure/collective agitation and the involvement of external bodies like Which!, CMA etc have generated a greater sense of priority to refunds as a business need.  Can't prove that of course, but it feels true.

Almost feels inconceivable to say now that they were actually trying their best on refunds until around 2 weeks ago, being generous.

Edited by No pager thank you
Typo

10 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes I agree.  Also adds to the theory that customer pressure/collective agitation and the involvement of external bodies like Which!, CMA etc have generated a greater sense of priority to refunds as a business need.  Can't prove that of course, but it feels true.

Almost feels inconceivable to say now that they were actually trying their best on refunds until around 2 weeks ago, being generous.

The CMA and Which? Have been making the right noises for weeks without any movement, so I doubt it's that, but I could be wrong. 

I have felt from the start that they were waiting for something to happen, which was possibly the audit. 

All they had to do was tell us. 

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got an inkling that it’s done by cruises. I know they say it’s done by date but it seems that everyone who was supposed to be on 4th April’s ventura has been processed. 

They told me 13th May it was processed. 
my virgin credit card showed the credit this morning. My hubby’s hsbc one hasn’t shown yet but I assume it will in the next few days. That card always shows slower than the rest for some reason. 

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’ve got an inkling that it’s done by cruises. I know they say it’s done by date but it seems that everyone who was supposed to be on 4th April’s ventura has been processed. 

They told me 13th May it was processed. 
my virgin credit card showed the credit this morning. My hubby’s hsbc one hasn’t shown yet but I assume it will in the next few days. That card always shows slower than the rest for some reason. 

It doesn't make a lot of sense to refund Iona's maiden in May before my April cruise. 

Andy 

• Like 2

No it doesn't, but I think those that booked direct must be quicker because they already have your details.  My cruise was 26th April, but cancelled due to age and conditions on March 12th.  I'm sure my escalation resulted in someone contacting me for BACS details.

3 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

You were same day as me then, hopefully it will show up on Monday for you as nothing, from my experience, tends to either credit or debit on a Sunday.  Fingers crossed for you 😊

Thank you, I actually wasn’t going to check my account today as it’s the weekend but then I got the message so I checked 😄 But not surprised it’s not there yet.

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The CMA and Which? Have been making the right noises for weeks without any movement, so I doubt it's that, but I could be wrong. 

I have felt from the start that they were waiting for something to happen, which was possibly the audit. 

All they had to do was tell us. 

Andy 

I don’t know for certain Andy, but I think that the Which? article this week was the first one specifically on P&O. Prior to that I think the Which? articles were more generic about problems with refunds with many travel companies, which was far easier for P&O to hide behind and do nothing (as they were doing). Seems more than coincidental to me that the day that Which? approached P&O for comment was the first day that Mr Ludlow addressed this issue publicly and then, from the next day, the handful of refunds processed to date has become a steady flow. It took a very long time for the penny to drop in Carnival House, but the major structural issues posed to their business is going to be crippling enough without the added problem of a load of adverse PR specifically directed at their brand. When that happens they risk losing potential new customers, on top of the existing ones that they have hacked off, as Which? articles are often picked up by the national media. As with everything in this crisis to date, P&O waited too long and have caused more damage to themselves than they needed to. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to refund Iona's maiden in May before my April cruise. 

Andy 

No joy for me either. Applied for refund on 16th March for sailing on 28th March. Have received no cancellation invoice. Finally got through to TA who was adamant that refund would come via them. Got an email back from P&O apologising that refunds may take up to 60 days. Politely emailed back pointing out that we have reached that milestone. Not heard anything since.........roll on Monday, so we can live in hope again.

Also have another refund outstanding from another cruise line for a 22nd April sailing. Heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement that refund request has been received 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I do think the customers on FB are being a bit ridiculous.  Some of them have even posted their details, cruise number address.  Brainless idiots.  Pick up the phone is the only way.

Another reason I never go on there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I would pick up the phone and speak to somebody.  It's the only way.  I booked through a TA, but refunds are coming direct not to the TA, mainly because half of them aren't operating.

And the ones that are haven't got a clue.

• Haha 1

On the topic of posting your personal details online, sure some people don't understand that's risky.  It would be sensible for the page moderator to delete that (or P&O who openly respond), instead of what has been referred to elsewhere.

On the Which! article, as an aside this was carried by the D. Express online.

Someone, within very short order of it being published - changed the emphasis around P&O denying that it could be up to 90 days (it says as much in the official edit).  The Which! article remains the same.  Just possibly someone in Southampton was "on the button" with that one!! 

Interesting that there has been no further spread of the story though beyond niche publications.

As you'll all see from my post count, I infrequently post on this forum but follow it quite religiously for the wonderful advice and knowledge that exists from most. I though I would add my experience for anyone's interest.

I booked direct last year for a sailing on 28th March 2020.

Paid in full on 2 separate cards - one for deposit, one for the balance.

Upon receiving the P&O e-mail cancellation for my cruise on Monday 16th March, I completed the online form requesting full refund within a few hours on that day.

Received first e-mail cancellation booking notification on 20th March - the one that said the next invoice would have charges but to disregard as we would get a full refund.

Received that 'incorrect' invoice on e-mail on the 25th March.

Received full refund back on the 2 original payment cards on Friday 15th May.

Not once have I made contact in any way with P&O since this whole debacle began. That doesn't mean I didn't care - I did but had a multitude of other concerns that were needing my attention also. I have checked this forum thread virtually every day to update myself on others' progress and felt that I may wind myself up further if I posted in my angst. I am blessed that the money, although significant, was not required back within the original 45 days stated on the screen when I cancelled. I sat tight and watched it all play out. 

My feelings now ? Well, first and foremost I'm glad to have the monies returned and pray that all others affected will get the same in the coming days. Do I think these are unprecedented times and a wait of many, many weeks was inevitable ? YES. Am I happy with how P&O have handled this ? NO, not one jot. The complete lack of communication on how things were proceeding was horrendously bad. I would most definitely have been calmer with at least some knowledge of how they were processing claims - date of cruise order, date of cancellation etc. The process seems completely random to me. Will I cruise with them again ? Possibly, at the right price but one takes time to forget a poor customer experience and there are 'other fish in the sea'.

All the best everyone.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I do think the customers on FB are being a bit ridiculous.  Some of them have even posted their details, cruise number address.  Brainless idiots.  Pick up the phone is the only way.

Most of the clowns on FB don’t even know which page they’re posting on they see something with P&O on and think it’s a direct line to the top luckily for them there’s that many expert advisers on them pages they can’t possibly go wrong