CDC extension of no cruise order for cruise lines

lj77346

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 9 pages] for the full requirements.

The link to the CDC page is https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Under this order, the cruise industry is required within the next 7 days to develop a plan acceptable to the CDC to address communicable disease outbreaks on cruise ships.  It will be interesting to see how the industry responds.

• Like 1

Besides the extension, the details are pretty stringent for Cruiselines.  Health oversight, not only on embarkation, but also during the cruise;  social distancing on board ( like maybe cutting back the theatre attendance,  medical facilities upgraded to life saving from stabilizing; evacuation of diseased pax at cruiseline expense (not Coast Guard).

I hope the smaller ships will be economically viable.  

2 hours ago, lj77346 said:

Under this order, the cruise industry is required within the next 7 days to develop a plan acceptable to the CDC to address communicable disease outbreaks on cruise ships.  It will be interesting to see how the industry responds.

May  be the end of cruises  from US ports

if the pandemic does not kill the cruise industry  the CDC & other  officials  will

JMO

• Like 2

Last year I believe there was virus of some sort on our cruise as I remember passing by the cabin that had red tape on its door. Accordingly we stepped up our hand washing and sanitizing. The current virus is more deadly and I welcome more strict cleaning and sanitizing measures. Got to reduce the odds of ships becoming floating “petri” dishes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

Last year I believe there was virus of some sort on our cruise as I remember passing by the cabin that had red tape on its door. Accordingly we stepped up our hand washing and sanitizing. The current virus is more deadly and I welcome more strict cleaning and sanitizing measures. Got to reduce the odds of ships becoming floating “petri” dishes. 

Yeah, there's QUITE a difference between a noro-type virus and COVID. I think people who don't start from that premise are being pretty blind.

• Like 2

CDC is trying to protect people.  Cruises during the pandemic have been hit hard. Several ships have had people that are sick.  Being quarantined is helpful to protect against the virus spreading. Nobody wants to go on a vacation and end up in quarantine or getting sick or dying.  A vacation should be relaxing and stressless.  Until Cruises can sail without risking people’s health and safety, they should not sail.  Nobody wants to see businesses close or people dying. We are looking forward to an end to the pandemic and a return to better times.

5 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Last year I believe there was virus of some sort on our cruise as I remember passing by the cabin that had red tape on its door. Accordingly we stepped up our hand washing and sanitizing.

Maybe  a noro case ??

We had a bug going around last April on the TA   many were coughing

DH ended up in the medical centre  the night before disembarkation

Put a damper on our plans after the cruise  but  we managed to survive what ever it was

Covid-19  is another ballgame

Stay home Stay safe

23 hours ago, lj77346 said:

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 9 pages] for the full requirements.

The link to the CDC page is https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

While This Continues there will be no END !!!

• Thanks 1

My understanding is CDC order can apply only to ships sailing in US waters. My question is whether a it impacts only those ships where passengers are getting off ship in US ports (disembarking or port visit)  or whether it applies to all ships in US waters. Marina is currently in port in Miami however scheduled to cruise Europe. Can ship reposition from Miami to Europe under this order?

What ships  are  currently taking on pax   in the next 2 mths ??

Not counting the cruises that will be cancelled  but what line is actually boarding pax   ...ANYWHERE ?

State of the virus  world wide  as of today  click on the "active cases" link

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What ships  are  currently taking on pax   in the next 2 mths ??

Not counting the cruises that will be cancelled  but what line is actually boarding pax   ...ANYWHERE ?

State of the virus  world wide  as of today  click on the "active cases" link

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Always good to see that info. Thanks. I have to wonder about the cruise lines liability if they resume cruising in the face of evidence that it shouldn't be done.

55 minutes ago, LJRVancouver said:

My understanding is CDC order can apply only to ships sailing in US waters. My question is whether a it impacts only those ships where passengers are getting off ship in US ports (disembarking or port visit)  or whether it applies to all ships in US waters. Marina is currently in port in Miami however scheduled to cruise Europe. Can ship reposition from Miami to Europe under this order?

On another thread on this board I've argued that a ship can leave US waters without passengers under the order, it just can't return. Another poster disagrees.

Edited by njhorseman

Over on Princess boards someone with inside info noted that Princess will be announcing on April 14 suspension of all cruises worldwide until after July 1. If so, all Carnival brands will follow through. Oceania will be one of the last lines to make an official announcement.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Over on Princess boards someone with inside info noted that Princess will be announcing on April 14 suspension of all cruises worldwide until after July 1. If so, all Carnival brands will follow through. Oceania will be one of the last lines to make an official announcement.

Not spending time on other boards, this one is too much at times for me, but I agree there will be major announcements next week. My crystal ball though does not seem to have the same reach to predict when O will announce as your statement.

Based on the spread of the virus and no vacine,  it is expected 80% of the population will be exposed and about 2% will die.  Canadian Government  is already saying nomal will not be back until We are vacinated.

• Like 2

The No Sail Ordere is back on the Federal Register website scheduled to be published on Wednesday April 15 so 100 days will be July 24, 2020 pending the HHS or CDS determining the Pandemic is over

The order is much the same although now 24 pages vs 9 pages but, much of that is because they pretty much double spaced everything.  It stil states now in two places that ships in US waters cannot be moved.  It is written a little differently with examples but, pretty much no movement and nobody getting on or off the ships without Coast Guard Approval.  The Cruise Lines and/or CLIA have 7 days to provide a new plan after signing (it is currently  unsigned) so expect it to be signed upong publication so 7 days from Wednesday.  Read at your pleasure.  Link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/current?source=122648

If there is no movement of ships in American waters after April 15 all the cruise lines, including Oceania better hurry up and get out of here. If any were going to try to resume sailing in Europe later this summer they need to move their ships there now.

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

If there is no movement of ships in American waters after April 15 all the cruise lines, including Oceania better hurry up and get out of here. If any were going to try to resume sailing in Europe later this summer they need to move their ships there now.

Not sure if you are correct susiesan since I haven't read the original no-sail order that this amended so depending on what it said it is possible ships are currently under the same or similar no sail rule and they remain stuck at their anchorages.or moorages

Of course the CDC, Coast Guard, or other authorized agency of the Government who have the authority could allow some to sail??

45 minutes ago, rallydave said:

The No Sail Ordere is back on the Federal Register website scheduled to be published on Wednesday April 15 so 100 days will be July 24, 2020 pending the HHS or CDS determining the Pandemic is over

The order is much the same although now 24 pages vs 9 pages but, much of that is because they pretty much double spaced everything.  It stil states now in two places that ships in US waters cannot be moved.  It is written a little differently with examples but, pretty much no movement and nobody getting on or off the ships without Coast Guard Approval.  The Cruise Lines and/or CLIA have 7 days to provide a new plan after signing (it is currently  unsigned) so expect it to be signed upong publication so 7 days from Wednesday.  Read at your pleasure.  Link:

Good post.  Thanks

50 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Thanks for your summary. Trust your analysis.

As of 2:00 pm today, April 15, Sirena is at the dock in Miami and Marina and Riviera are moored at the Miami Anchorage.  Also, Seven Seas Explorer is at the dock.  If the No Sail Order is executed today as planned, it would seem that all of these ships are stranded here until either July 24 or end of pandemic  (very unlikely to be declared before July 24). 

My understanding is that cruise ships could leave US waters only with Coast Guard approval.  It is unclear why the Coast Guard would approve such a movement.  Also, if any of these ships were to sail before the deadline, where would they go?  Are European ports opening again?

7 minutes ago, 806James said:

As of 2:00 pm today, April 15, Sirena is at the dock in Miami and Marina and Riviera are moored at the Miami Anchorage.  Also, Seven Seas Explorer is at the dock.  If the No Sail Order is executed today as planned, it would seem that all of these ships are stranded here until either July 24 or end of pandemic  (very unlikely to be declared before July 24). 

My understanding is that cruise ships could leave US waters only with Coast Guard approval.  It is unclear why the Coast Guard would approve such a movement.  Also, if any of these ships were to sail before the deadline, where would they go?  Are European ports opening again?

All correct and the extended no-sail order was published today, April 15. 2020, in the Federal Register so your second paragraph is absolutely correct except for the fact that the no sail order can be amended  to end before July 24 or be further extended however, that is unlikely and the HHS or the  CDC orders could be changed but, none are likely.  And yes the ships can leave the port with Coast Guard approval .so it is likely the ships will be there for the next 100 + days.