Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was a bit dearer than $6 but cheap for a pinot noir.

I got the duck at Coles. I think Woolworths also sells it.

Thanks, have to look for it, not going into town this weekend, 100,000 of Mic's mob from Canberra here on the 'ACT Gold Coast, lol. Chaos.

I am regimented, army style:  breakfast @ 0730, luncheon @ 1230, dinner @ 1830,  them's the rules at my house. Oh, I forgot happy hour, 1700 to 1829.🍷

Edited by NSWP

I grew up with the evening meal being the main one, but when we can Mrs G and I prefer a larger mid day meal and something light later in the evening, but that isn’t easy when you are both still working.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I grew up with the evening meal being the main one, but when we can Mrs G and I prefer a larger mid day meal and something light later in the evening, but that isn’t easy when you are both still working.

Work, what is work mate..I forget, it must be 17 years ago.  No way can I eat a big lunch, just a sambo or fruit or a gf dogs eye. I love a big brekkie as you know, full english is my favourite and a reasonable size dinner, no desserts, except maybe a bit of ice cream a couple of times a week.

Edited by NSWP

51 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Ahh those were the day... and jam was in a little bowl with a spoon.... along with a butter knife for the butter...... my mum who's 94 still has linen serviettes in serviette rings and a small vase with flowers on the kitchen table. and a linen place mat...    

I remember the toast stand and tea pot (  with hand knitted cosy ) and milk jug at my grand mother.... also the linen table cloth for breakfast

And one had to come to table properly dressed.....   the world has changed...

Is this where one says the good old days......lol

Cheers Don

I recall, when staying at my grandma's in Albury on school holidays, the milkman delivered in bulk - no bottles. Grandma would leave out on the front veranda a couple of milk jugs, covered with doilies to keep the flies off, and the milkman would fill them from a large milk can using a 1/2 pint dipper. The money was left alongside the jugs.

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I recall, when staying at my grandma's in Albury on school holidays, the milkman delivered in bulk - no bottles. Grandma would leave out on the front veranda a couple of milk jugs, covered with doilies to keep the flies off, and the milkman would fill them from a large milk can using a 1/2 pint dipper. The money was left alongside the jugs.

Them's were the days. I remember we could also buy cream and cheese off ye olde Milko, pre ordered, he just picked them up from the dairy with the milk. 

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard tomato sauce called red sauce before.  Ketchup in US.  I envy you eating home made sausages.  When we first visited Germany, I was surprised to see the meat display in butcher shops was 3/4 sausages.  Then I understood why early German settlers made their own sausages.  

Heard red sauce term on the cruise ships, mainly by Canadians like our Lyle. US people said 'Ketchup.'

As for sausages the Germans love their sausages, I like checking the Aldi range of snags out, they often have some German ones, lubbly jubbly.

41 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Ohh  Dollies everywhere at grandma's....

and as a kid it was the milkman and his horse  but it was bottled milk... also living in the country the green grocer came round in a truck complete with scales and a cash register.....

I remember as a kid going to my uncles small dairy farm.. after milking the milk churns and my cousins and me would climb into the back of the morrie minor ute and take them up the diary

Don

• Like 1

When the milkie delivered our milk when I was growing up in country Victoria, it was put in a billie and he brought it to the back door. The baker delivered bread daily by horse and cart and during holidays always had fruit buns for the kids. Oh memories!

Leigh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Ahh those were the day... and jam was in a little bowl with a spoon.... along with a butter knife for the butter...... my mum who's 94 still has linen serviettes in serviette rings and a small vase with flowers on the kitchen table. and a linen place mat...    

I remember the toast stand and tea pot (  with hand knitted cosy ) and milk jug at my grand mother.... also the linen table cloth for breakfast

And one had to come to table properly dressed.....   the world has changed...

Is this where one says the good old days......lol

Cheers Don

Oh yes, I forgot all those.  Home made Jam and marmalade in small bowls, with tiny teaspoons (no jars on table). Small milk jug with crocheted cover with beads to keep flies off milk. Always a tablecloth or linen place mat, if eating alone.  Hand knitted tea cosies to keep the pot of tea warm.  

• Like 1

Nice conversation, so for meal names. When I was growing up it was breakfast, lunch and supper. We didn't use the term "Tea" for the evening meal. For us "Tea" was in the afternoon.

As I got older and was living on my own my friends came to understand my little code, if you were invited for "supper" it would be a nice meal maybe burgers, steak, pasta anything casual. If I invited someone for "Dinner" that was a different thing all together, nice table linens, Crystal glasses, china, and silver cutlery. There would always be at least 3 courses and different wines for each course. When Lynn and I got together about 20 years ago the code remained  and people know what to expect when invited for "Dinner". If we were to serve "Tea" then that would be around 2:00 PM and that would have the table set with Royal Albert "Rainbow" China, Crystal glasses for cold drinks, Coronation silverware (including individual butter knives at each place setting). There are fresh scones (usually still warm from the oven) a selection of finger sandwiches (my favourite is an asparagus and cream cheese pinwheel) some devilled eggs with lox and a sprig of fresh dill some assorted pastries (we buy those).

We don't entertain as much as we used to but we hope to do more now that Lynn's mom has moved to her own assisted living flat.Tea.thumb.jpg.5c01a16d445184e2f08e559f97f44c79.jpg

• Thanks 1

So when you had 'tea' at 2pm, you did not have lunch?  Now dinner here, could be a five course meal or a pie.  I don't indulge in arvo tea here and believe it or not on about 25 cruises, we never went to arvo tea in buffet, mdr or even in cabin. Just did not appeal, too much tucker anyway.

We generally went to 1st sitting dinner on the ships, around 6pm, dpendent on cruise line, 573012677_th(3).jpg.4f0158a786a044534fc0e8cf7e0abbb5.jpgit made me ill hearing from our table mates what they had in the mdr, mid arvo for afternoon tea.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

So when you had 'tea' at 2pm, you did not have lunch?  Now dinner here, could be a five course meal or a pie.

That particular "Tea" in the picture was indeed in lieu of lunch, we had a late (9:30 AM) breakfast and the tea was for Lynn's Mom's birthday which is the 10th of December hence the Christmas linens

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

That particular "Tea" in the picture was indeed in lieu of lunch, we had a late (9:30 AM) breakfast and the tea was for Lynn's Mom's birthday which is the 10th of December hence the Christmas linens

Thats the way, glad you enjoyed it, lubbly jubbly.  Some people serve mini sausage rolls with the rest of the  afternoon tea, i.e. the Brits.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

It looks like a grand spread  there     Lyle.....

And in the crystal wine glasses Lyle, perhaps a cream sherry ? Drop of my favourite even...Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry, served chilled, superb. $25 @ Dan's but worth every penny.

th (2).jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, possum52 said:

When the milkie delivered our milk when I was growing up in country Victoria, it was put in a billie and he brought it to the back door. The baker delivered bread daily by horse and cart and during holidays always had fruit buns for the kids. Oh memories!

Leigh

My uncle had a dairy farm at Mitta Mitta.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Doilies with little beads on the edges to weigh them down.

My Nan used to attend the Autumn Club and make all sorts of such handicrafts. Not just doilies, telephone book covers and toilet roll covers were very popular.

Also Doilies for the telephone on the telephone table.......  and then ringing the operator to be connect ( rural south australia )   Don

Talking about handicrafts, my wife was a big time quilter, in the Patchwork/Quilting clubs locally, shows etc. Now I have about 10 quilts here, might have an auction.  She used to order the materials from USA, half the price inc postage.

il_794xN.302844073.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Talking about handicrafts, my wife was a big time quilter, in the Patchwork/Quilting clubs locally, shows etc. Now I have about 10 quilts here, might have an auction.  She used to order the materials from USA, half the price inc postage.

il_794xN.302844073.jpg

What a beautiful patchwork quilt.  Your granddaughter might appreciate one of your wife's quilts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What a beautiful patchwork quilt.  Your granddaughter might appreciate one of your wife's quilts. 

Thank you, the whole family has received one, even the vet grandaughter in Townsville, hot as it is. lol.  Even Bindi the labrador grand dog has one to sleep on, albeit not the best one.

Edited by NSWP

Hi Blackduck, how are you. Suggestion for a beer . . . XXXX (4 X), a beer from the Queensland area or the good old fashion that I not mind in the Tooheys New, or of course the Mexican Corona with lemon or lime. There are also a lot of boutique beers on the market which you will see when you get here.