Now for something completely different

When I started driving in 1976, I learned on both automatic and manual. The automatic was a large Chevy sedan with a 454 ci engine. It was a beast. The standard was a Datsun pick up truck (a ute in Oz I guess). It was pretty basic but for a 16 year old it meant freedom. The first 2 cars I owned were Manual transmission, then I started as a cabinet maker and it was time to get a proper pick up truck (full sized 4x4). From then on it was automatics, although I can still drive manual when required. Both cars we rented in Europe were manual. I will however want an automatic in Oz, driving on the wrong side of the road and shifting with the wrong hand (for me) would probably be stressful and maybe a little dangerous.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will however want an automatic in Oz, driving on the wrong side of the road and shifting with the wrong hand (for me) would probably be stressful and maybe a little dangerous

Actually, we drive on the correct side of the road.  😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use to love driving a manual car but as traffic has increased I find automatics are just easier in stop start traffic. When renting cars I found it interesting that in the Americas manual cars are not even an option but they are everywhere in Europe. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

I received my manual licence back in 1970. There weren't many automatics around back then. Other than family size cars while our children were growing up, I've always had a small car. My previous one was a Mitsubishi Mirage sedan which is slightly bigger than the hatchback version. 

There’s another coincidence, Leigh.  I also received my manual licence in 1970.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just wait till you have to use the indicators and wipers, if you think the gears will be tricky.:classic_laugh:

The difference is if I choose the wrong side for the indicators I turn the wipers on. If the shift pattern is different for me and I'm using my non dominant hand to shift chances are I end up grinding a pound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just wait till you have to use the indicators and wipers, if you think the gears will be tricky.:classic_laugh:

My MG3 indicators and wipers are on the opposite sides to what I am used to. Even after driving the car for four months I still occasionally flick the wrong stick. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, possum52 said:

My MG3 indicators and wipers are on the opposite sides to what I am used to. Even after driving the car for four months I still occasionally flick the wrong stick

Funny you should say that, after almost 6 months I still use the wrong stick every time I start the car up again.  Just returned home from an appt a couple of kilometres away and I twice tried to wipe the non-existent rain off the windscreen when turning.  

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Funny you should say that, after almost 6 months I still use the wrong stick every time I start the car up again.  Just returned home from an appt a couple of kilometres away and I twice tried to wipe the non-existent rain off the windscreen when turning.  

I read that MGs are designed in Europe so I guess that explains the difference in position. My husband's Renault is the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

A while back when we had two cars we had a Mercedes A-class and a Toyota. Switching between the two was a pain the indicators and wipers were on different sides.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

The difference is if I choose the wrong side for the indicators I turn the wipers on. If the shift pattern is different for me and I'm using my non dominant hand to shift chances are I end up grinding a pound.

Although both of us grew up driving manual cars we've always booked automatics when travelling overseas. It's so much easier. 

• Like 5

I was used to driving manuals, work Ute's, vans etc, but have always had an Automatic personal vehicle. Mostly due to Rosie only driving an Auto but also as it is so much easier driving. No clutch etc,, even now our vehicles have to have cruise control so I don't  even have to worry about the accelerator.

• Like 1

I always drove a manual and only got an aitomatic a couple of years ago. I did this because a friend's elderly mother failed her driving test, which has to be done periodically after a certain age, for coasting to stops at traffic lights and the like, rather than going down through the gears. At least that's why she said she failed. Doing that myself (don't we all?), I figured it was time for me to get an automatic, to give myself a better chance of passing!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I always drove a manual and only got an aitomatic a couple of years ago. I did this because a friend's elderly mother failed her driving test, which has to be done periodically after a certain age, for coasting to stops at traffic lights and the like, rather than going down through the gears. At least that's why she said she failed. Doing that myself (don't we all?), I figured it was time for me to get an automatic, to give myself a better chance of passing!

I wonder if your friend's mother misunderstood the reason she failed her driving test.🙂 When slowing down prior to stopping, a driver doesn't have to change down through the gears.

We have always had manual cars until we bought our latest one. We test-drove an automatic and loved it.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I wonder if your friend's mother misunderstood the reason she failed her driving test.🙂 When slowing down prior to stopping, a driver doesn't have to change down through the gears.

We have always had manual cars until we bought our latest one. We test-drove an automatic and loved it.

It could well be. My previous car was 23 years old, I'd had it since new. The modern features on the automatic were something of a learning curve, but I love it and would never willingly go back now 🚙 

• Like 1

Learnt to drive in a manual & my first car was manual - manuals were cheaper than automatics in those days. Tracey learnt in a automatic so changed to auto & been that way for almost 50 years 😳

Have driven a few manuals (rentals & borrows) over the years, but modern cities make automatic a more sensible choice.

Euro cars with reversed blinkers & wiper controls are always interesting.

• Like 4

In the US (and many other countries as well) manual transmission cars are going the way of the payphone, vinal records, 8 track/cassette tapes, rotary dial phones, b/w TV's, clocks with hands and more. If you learned to drive on a stick shift or can drive one even today, you're in a small percentage of the population here and showing your age🤣🤣🤣. Growing up, Nancy and I learned to drive both. We have over the years also owned both. I even remember no power steering, power brakes and rollup windows. I feel so old😌😌😌.

Lyle, I understand your thoughts about driving on the "wrong" (other) side of the road with the controls also opposite. In Oz last year we rented 5 different cars in different locations. Like you I had my apprehensions. I had never done this before. The first experience was not bad. We followed friends of ours from The Gold Coast up to the Sunshine Coast to meet up with other Auzzie friends for lunch. I just stayed behind them and did what they did, not bad at all. The next day we were on our own. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected. The only thing I will say is that it required my full attention. Unlike at home where I can get in the car and drive almost on "autopilot" in Oz I had to really pay attention and think. But after a day or so it became easy. 

Side note: we rented different makes and models of cars. They did not all have the wipers/directionals on the same side. YES, this was challenging as more than once I put on the wipers (or not). But other than that hiccup, piece of cake.     

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

My first experience of driving a LHD car was when I picked up our holiday rental in Athens, in afternoon peak hour, and drove it to out hotel. Luckily it was all right hand turns to the hotel. Quickly became accustomed to it.

Today I have a six speed auto LDV van with Euro controls and a six speed manual Forester with 'normal' controls. The wipers get a work out, rain or shine.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

My main worry is tackling roundabouts. Specifically getting off them when turning. Can't get my head around them.

We have them here, and that's not really a worry. Of course we go through ours anti-clockwise. So that will be different but natural to go clockwise when you are already on the left side of it.

Edited by Blackduck59
Wrong word
  • Like 1

The most important thing to remember when driving in a place which is opposite to what you are used to is that, no matter where you are driving, YOU, as the driver, should always be closer to the centre of the road than your passenger.

• Like 5

On 5/24/2024 at 9:38 AM, mr walker said:

Euro cars with reversed blinkers & wiper controls are always interesting.

That's certainly one way of putting it.

12 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

My main worry is tackling roundabouts. Specifically getting off them when turning. Can't get my head around them.

Dual lane rotarys can be confusing especially, for those of us that didn't grow up with them.  However, they are a wonderful traffic management device and alleviate the hesitating effect (stop start) of signals.  Having said that rotarys are really only beneficial at the junction of four road legs carrying similar traffic numbers and at a distance from major signalised intersections or railway crossings.