Now for something completely different

Just now, Bubbeh said:

Spent almost as much money restocking the pantry and fridge as I did on the month in Bali 😉.

I'm dreading having to shop after we get home from our world cruise but at least we'll have all day to do it.

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm dreading having to shop after we get home from our world cruise but at least we'll have all day to do it.

Good point.  

@fairywren I chose not to, I heard a few stories about false websites etc so waited until we got to the Denpsasar Airport and made sure I had $50 Australian on me to pay for it. I believe that meant we had to line up in a longer line for immigration but those that went ahead, having done the online Visa were still waiting for luggage when we got through anyway.

11 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

@fairywren I chose not to, I heard a few stories about false websites etc so waited until we got to the Denpsasar Airport and made sure I had $50 Australian on me to pay for it. I believe that meant we had to line up in a longer line for immigration but those that went ahead, having done the online Visa were still waiting for luggage when we got through anyway.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it looks like we have to do it online as we may be refused boarding without it. There is a thread on the Indonesia forum on Tripadvisor with many problems folk have encountered.

On 7/2/2024 at 1:17 PM, JJK2008 said:

This is good advice. We rented cars several times in Oz in different locations and were advised by our friends about the cameras. Something else we did not know about were the toll roads. We were following friends of ours and they took a toll road. Well, the toll roads do NOT have pay booths, they are automatic by the plate number. When we stopped, we asked our friends about this since we didn't "pay" any tolls. They said they believed that tolls were included as part of our car rental agreement, but we should verify with the rental company. Sure, enough the rental company confirmed that tolls were included. We only encountered this one time, so I don't know if this is standard in Oz. Perhaps one of the Aussies can confirm if it is standard for tolls to be included with a car rental.   

I wondered about payment of tolls on hire cars.  

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the norm with car rentals in Oz. We only encountered it one time and confirmed it when we returned the car. We didn't know to ask beforehand. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 3:14 PM, fairywren said:

Question for @Bubbeh and @LincolnLegend, did you apply online for the Indonesian visa?

Those of us on the Sing- Bris cruise need to get one for Lombok and the website is confusing. Any input please?

Apologies for the delayed response.  I'm still have issues getting notifications and even the CC 'Help" can't see why I'm not receiving them - no, they're not going to my Trash and this is a problem that has only occurred recently, I've been receiving notifications without issue for the past 10 years or so.

Anyway, my reply is that yes I did get the Indonesian Visas on line both for Benoa (Bali) and Lombok.  We travel to Bali a lot and I have an account with Immigration which might be why my VISAs processed without issue.   I've not checked the balance of the thread yet, have others been able to help you and is your problem resolved?

Hmmm... now I've read the thread and I can see that you maybe still be having issues.  I can't count the number of times I've applied for VISAs for Indonesia so maybe I can help.  What problems are you experiencing?

Edited by Bubbeh

Road tolls are included in NZ car hires, I think the companies found it too difficult to collect the fees from tourists once they'd left the country, so just include them in the hire cost 💰 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I wondered about payment of tolls on hire cars.  

We recently had a hire car while our car was being repaired following an unfortunate encounter with a kangaroo. The repairers advised us to take the e-tag with us if we were going to be using toll roads. Reading the hire agreement it seemed toll charges were not included in the hire fees so it seems it may vary between different companies.

32 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

We recently had a hire car while our car was being repaired following an unfortunate encounter with a kangaroo. The repairers advised us to take the e-tag with us if we were going to be using toll roads. Reading the hire agreement it seemed toll charges were not included in the hire fees so it seems it may vary between different companies.

Most often you will be charged for any tolls you go through, as they have you cc details and put it on the final bill.

• Like 1

@MicCanberra thanks for the links to the silo art. I was feeling a bit disappointed after the first 2 as we weren't going to be anywhere near those areas. I was happy to see from the last link that we will be close by several examples, and will check them out if at all possible.

• Like 3

So Lynn & I celebrated our 23rd anniversary today (21 July). It was a pretty uneventful day. I made blueberry pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast.Then we watched the F1 race, which we enjoyed very much. Congratulations to young Australian Oscar Piastri for his first proper Grand Prix win (he won a sprint race earlier). I was quite happy with the result (any race without Verstappen on the podium is alright with us). I asked Lynn if she wanted to go out for a nice dinner and she declined; so I decided to try and make Tandoori Chicken. We were both pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. I'm starting to renew interest in cooking, most recently giving my outdoor grill a lot of love because it keeps the heat outside of the house. We have been having a bit of a heatwave for our part of Canada. One of the best parts about living here is the moderate temperatures, not too hot in summer, or too cold in winter. Frankly 29c is just not acceptable in my part of the world. We are expecting the heat as we are homeward bound from Sydney but hope to find something more mederate when we get home.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

So Lynn & I celebrated our 23rd anniversary today (21 July). It was a pretty uneventful day. I made blueberry pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast.Then we watched the F1 race, which we enjoyed very much. Congratulations to young Australian Oscar Piastri for his first proper Grand Prix win (he won a sprint race earlier). I was quite happy with the result (any race without Verstappen on the podium is alright with us). I asked Lynn if she wanted to go out for a nice dinner and she declined; so I decided to try and make Tandoori Chicken. We were both pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. I'm starting to renew interest in cooking, most recently giving my outdoor grill a lot of love because it keeps the heat outside of the house. We have been having a bit of a heatwave for our part of Canada. One of the best parts about living here is the moderate temperatures, not too hot in summer, or too cold in winter. Frankly 29c is just not acceptable in my part of the world. We are expecting the heat as we are homeward bound from Sydney but hope to find something more mederate when we get home.

Warmest congratulations, Lyle and Lynn, and your day and celebration fare sounds just perfect.  It was indeed wonderful that Oscar chalked up his first GP win.  We've been avidly following The Open from Royal Troon (I learnt years ago that "one never says 'The British Open' because it is revered as golf's premium tournament, even ahead of The Masters, which I really love because the Augusta course is always pristine and dripping in beautiful azaleas).  Our problem with any big sporting event in the Northern Hemisphere is that our times are out of kilter, so unless we want to wander around like zombies the next day, we prefer now at our age to wake to results a few hours after the event.  23 years is a fantastic achievement, and I don't know how to admit that next month we'll be celebrating 55.  Of course, we were toddlers when we married, lol.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Happy Anniversary Lyle and Lynn. Congratulations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Warmest congratulations, Lyle and Lynn, and your day and celebration fare sounds just perfect.  It was indeed wonderful that Oscar chalked up his first GP win.  We've been avidly following The Open from Royal Troon (I learnt years ago that "one never says 'The British Open' because it is revered as golf's premium tournament, even ahead of The Masters, which I really love because the Augusta course is always pristine and dripping in beautiful azaleas).  Our problem with any big sporting event in the Northern Hemisphere is that our times are out of kilter, so unless we want to wander around like zombies the next day, we prefer now at our age to wake to results a few hours after the event.  23 years is a fantastic achievement, and I don't know how to admit that next month we'll be celebrating 55.  Of course, we were toddlers when we married, lol.

Thanks very much, we were both in our 40s when we married and it was a first for both of us. Somehow I sort of doubt we will make it to 55 years, truly a milestone.

Most of the races are at an unreasonable time for me to watch live anymore, even here. So we record everything and watch the pre-race show, then the race and post race show. Depending on when we wake up we my pause for breakfast and then continue. We are careful to avoid anything that may display the results.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks very much, we were both in our 40s when we married and it was a first for both of us. Somehow I sort of doubt we will make it to 55 years, truly a milestone.

Most of the races are at an unreasonable time for me to watch live anymore, even here. So we record everything and watch the pre-race show, then the race and post race show. Depending on when we wake up we my pause for breakfast and then continue. We are careful to avoid anything that may display the results.

You both obviously waited for the perfect match💘

Yes, it’s not easy avoiding “spoilers”, when we’re surrounded by news at saturation point.  I never want to watch a pre-recorded event when I’ve heard the result.  
Congratulations again🌹

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations guys, staying together for any length of time takes commitment and 23 years is commendable.

We married young compared to you (21 and 23) and are coming up to 36 years this October.

Coincidentally we also had blueberry pancakes yesterday for dessert but with cream rather than syrup, delicious. Not into racing but an Aussie doing well makes me pleased.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Congratulations to you both Lyle. Your day sounds perfect.

A contingent of Australian firefighters have gone to BC for a month to help with the fires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your anniversary Lyle & Lynn - looks like you had a good day to celebrate the occasion.

Most of us downunder would be very happy for 29C temps right now 🙂 

Hope the situation over there with the fires comse good quickly.

Cheers

Neil & Tracey 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, MicCanberra said:

Yes, he did well, we watched it last night. Shame he went left instead of following the Israeli on the last turn. I reckon he may have got him.

So did we.  Very exciting to watch.

I really think the officials stuffed it up with the start, first they call them back due to a jump start,  then issue no penalty or tell of any decision made, all with a delay of 10 minutes.

Not sure what was happening. There was supposed to be a 5 second delay for the jump start, did they all jump the start?

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I really think the officials stuffed it up with the start, first they call them back due to a jump start,  then issue no penalty or tell of any decision made, all with a delay of 10 minutes.

Not sure what was happening. There was supposed to be a 5 second delay for the jump start, did they all jump the start?

It seemed so.  The delay was agonising to watch.  Must have been doubly so for them.

• Like 1