Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We looked for Meriton and there shows no vacancy, I suspect they are on hold for now. We will continue to look, perhaps something will be released. I'm not sure how there are no rooms at the Inn when no one is sure if there will be any travelers then.

I think a lot of those places are being used for quarantine Lyle.That’s why they aren’t available.

If you like a apartment this one is pretty central. Town hall rail way station,King street ferry wharf,China town,darling harbour and Barangaroo.All just steps away.

Barangaroo is a new tourist precinct which is quite nice .Water front, lots of restaurants.

https://www.adinahotels.com/en/apartments/sydney-town-hall/

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, possum52 said:

All five of their properties Les? 

Don't know, but I have seen the Meriton appear on TV re covid quarantine. I doubt all their premises.  I liked the Pitt St one he best.  There is a newish one at North Sydney too.  One at Zetland, not far from Airport.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Don't know, but I have seen the Meriton appear on TV re covid quarantine. I doubt all their premises.  I liked the Pitt St one he best.  There is a newish one at North Sydney too.  One at Zetland, not far from Airport.

Looks like the Pitt Street and Sussex Street Meritons are being used for quarantine Les.

Leigh

On 3/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, Blackduck59 said:

Way back Lynn saw the picture of the Fullerton, very classy...very much out of our budget.

When I stay in Sydney I stay at basic Devere Hotel at Potts Point, as I like the neighbourhood which feels like Sydney.  Two local busses, with one going to Central Station and the other to Sydney Theatre Company theatres on Sydney Harbour, via CBD.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pictures Julie. Craig's Royal Hotel is where we intend to stay in Ballarat, it is our splurge night. There is something about a grand old hotel, we had one with the Empress but all the grandeur has been stripped out of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lovely old hotel the Craig's Royal, thanks for posting, a favourite past time of my mine, checking out old buildings.

A work colleague of mine had a book of pencil drawings of old Australian buildings.  He and has wife planned to visit them all in his retirement.  I hope he did so.  I think it would be great to visit all the beautifully painted silos in the bush.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

A work colleague of mine had a book of pencil drawings of old Australian buildings.  He and has wife planned to visit them all in his retirement.  I hope he did so.  I think it would be great to visit all the beautifully painted silos in the bush.

I have seen a few of those in my travels out west of NSW.

When  I get to country towns, I walk down one side of the street and up the other side, admiring the colonial or art deco buildings. If a museum is there I am in, likewise ye olde pubs.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it would be great to visit all the beautifully painted silos in the bush.

I make a point of visiting the silos. I am a fan of outdoor art. I also love it when they do the long pictures on the side of old buildings. 

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I make a point of visiting the silos. I am a fan of outdoor art. I also love it when they do the long pictures on the side of old buildings. 

Here's one for you:

20210308_140115.thumb.jpg.95762e01eff47a49e3331a5dc8ee6ee5.jpg

We also saw another one but it was on a the opposite side of the road and the traffic was a bit heavy at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the pictures Julie. Craig's Royal Hotel is where we intend to stay in Ballarat, it is our splurge night. There is something about a grand old hotel, we had one with the Empress but all the grandeur has been stripped out of it. 

I remembered you mentioning it so since we were stopping in Ballarat for lunch I made a point of going around to look at it.

It's a bit hit and miss with old hotels, sometimes they are great, other times they are disappointing.

We're having our splurge night tonight at the Lake House in Daylesford. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The beautiful old buildings in Ballarat reflect the wealth of the gold rush - the greatest gold rush in the world, by far.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw some nice painted water towers at Narrandera, NSW.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The beautiful old buildings in Ballarat reflect the wealth of the gold rush - the greatest gold rush in the world, by far.

My husband had relatives/ancestors at the Ballarat at that time. One had to declare bankruptcy as he didn't find any gold and overspent. An ancestor was a jeweller and did very well.

Leigh

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

There is a website https://www.australiansiloarttrail.com/ which has a map and other resources for where to find silo art. They also have a Facebook page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, nnps said:

There is a website https://www.australiansiloarttrail.com/ which has a map and other resources for where to find silo art. They also have a Facebook page.

Thank you for sharing that website.  I think small towns having their silos decorated with art is a wonderful initiative to encourage people to visit.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Here's one for you:

20210308_140115.thumb.jpg.95762e01eff47a49e3331a5dc8ee6ee5.jpg

We also saw another one but it was on a the opposite side of the road and the traffic was a bit heavy at that point.

Spectacular!  Love how the painting is across the three silos.