Phases of re-opening American Economy

9 hours ago, pcur said:

They didn't sail full after 9/11 for a long time, and they survived.

I think this will be a longer recovery period.  I felt safer traveling after 9/11 than any other time. Everyone was on high alert. Penn Station and most of NYC is still in 9/11 mode.

All phases appear to be based on tests being available everywhere, all the time,  with extremely quick results.  That way you can quickly identify new outbreaks and quarantine/isolate people to try and keep it from spreading.  Regardless of what our leaders are telling us, after 2 1/2 months of knowing this was coming we have tested about 1% of our population.  I believe I heard we would need to have accurate results on almost 20% to really know what is happening.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If it's not capitalized it reads as us causing confusion.

NYC is in the U.S. (US). When I wrote my post, it was us, we....  the Mayor was asking the Federal Government to bail NYC out with 6.5 Billion. Who funds the Federal Government, we do , us, all the States . This was a request just to fund city services like PD, FD, EMT, Subway, Buses, Garbage Collection, and so on. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What good are the tests, you may be negative today and 3 days later you catch it from someone and are then  positive. Maybe I'm just missing something here?

It's more about finding people that test positive, so that they can be isolated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Check this website and see just where Texas is. I haven't checked Texas I don't think. Mostly NY and NJ because I live in NJ. Great website to get a picture and handle on what is going on in the country and each state.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

I have maps of texas and I'd say about 1/3 cases dfw area and 1/3 cases in houston in texas, so I'd guess the larger cities will be the last to open.... where I am.

I'm worried about supply chains. Things we NEED that arent food items. My 101 year old dad uses depends like briefs. Apparently more popular and more brands for women. Before the virus I already couldnt get enough in the store and ordered them from walmart I could get in 24 hours from stores across town. The last order I ordered in may and got the last one yesterday. Got delayed over Easter thru calif lol. Got shipped all over. That's something we absolutely dont want to run out of. Needs 3 week lead time now and I felt lucky to get.

A church here had a diaper give away to moms. Anything paper like is getting harder to buy.

So yes I want people back to work and supply chains other than food working. I think big cities will be later than rural areas here. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I have maps of texas and I'd say about 1/3 cases dfw area and 1/3 cases in houston in texas, so I'd guess the larger cities will be the last to open.... where I am.

I'm worried about supply chains. Things we NEED that arent food items. My 101 year old dad uses depends like briefs. Apparently more popular and more brands for women. Before the virus I already couldnt get enough in the store and ordered them from walmart I could get in 24 hours from stores across town. The last order I ordered in may and got the last one yesterday. Got delayed over Easter thru calif lol. Got shipped all over. That's something we absolutely dont want to run out of. Needs 3 week lead time now and I felt lucky to get.

A church here had a diaper give away to moms. Anything paper like is getting harder to buy.

So yes I want people back to work and supply chains other than food working. I think big cities will be later than rural areas here. 

I see some of what you mentioned. Amazon Prime used to be 2 days or sooner. Here we were accustomed to next day for most common items. Now in stock Amazon Prime items are taking a week or longer. We have SAMS Plus (used to be Business). Had early shopping and free shipping online. Now early shopping is not happening and online orders that typically took a few days are now out a week or more. Two weeks in many cases. Are they using COVID19 to cut down on their shipping requirements for the additional paid service that was offered in the past?  I know our carriers are busy. 

Just a question. The cost of Amazon Prime continues to increase each year. As does SAMS Plus. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This is a big issue. Yesterday I went to BJ's and 4 other supermarkets just to get basic items that I needed. Even dog food is becoming an issue. I always bulk order from Walmart. They were out of stock of most brands. My wife had to order milkbones through Amazon (Prime) and they won't be shipped until April 29th. She signed up for a subscription for auto refill that will be delivered on April 27th.  How close can we be to cruising when we can't even get the essentials. How will cruise ships get supplies? Meat has been an issue since day one and it's only getting worse. At this point it's not hoarding it's just not available.  Even the meal plan we are subscribed to has been substituting ingredients and changing the meals we ordered.

• Like 3

I'm also worried about drugs when they say we get most drugs from china. Both my parents are on many life saving drugs. 

Just before the virus hit walmart said in about a month they were rolling out a service to compete with prime. I'm glad it hasnt happened. I use walmart for many items. 

It takes almost a week to order from kroger here, they are so far behind filling grocery orders.

I'm afraid if we dont start going back to work there will be drug shortages and we cant get things like blood pressure meds on time. Elderly need more than just staying home locked up.

I hear you about delivery times.  But home delivery from many stores for us has been wonderful.  No going out for us.  We have learned now to anticipate our needs and order early.   I think it is just that Amazon is overwhelmed with orders not that they are trying to pull a fast one.

I have tried to tip delivery people and most will not accept anything.  They are working very hard to bring us all that we need.  My earlier opinion about Amazon was some sadness — that retailers were being put out of business.  But now I think “What would we have done without them?” during this pandemic.  IMHO.   Katherine

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have no idea but I bet they don't offer 60% off for the second guest or kids sail free.

Better have a whole lotta FCC's laying around. These are the "small ones" :

The “smaller” superyachts on Below Deck include the Ionian Princess at 150 feet, Ohana, Valor, and Sirocco at 154 feet each. Each luxury yacht comes with special features and different rental prices.

• Ionian Princess has one of the largest sundecks for a boat this size and cruises the waters in the Mediterranean. The vessel rents for $168,500 per week during the summer season and $145,500 per week in the winter.
  • Valor is also known as BG. BG rents for about $162,000 per week in the summer and $168,000 per week in the winter.  Below Deck featured this 154-foot yacht in two seasons.
  • Ohana, renamed “Rhino” includes a sweet bar and awesome sun deck. You can rent this 154-foot yacht for $140,000 a week any time during the charter season.
  • Sirocco includes, “Makassar wood, leather and natural stone throughout and an 8-person Jacuzzi and gym on [the] sundeck.” You can rent this vessel for $209,000 a week in the summer or $205,000 a week in the winter.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I hear you about delivery times.  But home delivery from many stores for us has been wonderful.

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It takes almost a week to order from kroger here, they are so far behind filling grocery orders.

My wife has been using a local online grocery service that delivers groceries for over 20 yrs.  Now you can't even get a delivery. They are booked 2 weeks out and you can't even order. The only deliveries we can get are from restaurants and liquor stores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My wife has been using a local online grocery service that delivers groceries for over 20 yrs.  Now you can't even get a delivery. They are booked 2 weeks out and you can't even order. The only deliveries we can get are from restaurants and liquor stores.

I wish we had a Sad EMOJI 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Guess just have to watch more Bravo TV and "Below Deck"

Been enjoying Below Deck, even the sailing one.  There is a YouTube Channel called sailing Doodles that I following.  If you need some "escape" from land, check out the link.  I'm not sure if they are free lifestyle folks (Pineapples People😉), but the scenery is good.😁

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I see some of what you mentioned. Amazon Prime used to be 2 days or sooner. Here we were accustomed to next day for most common items. Now in stock Amazon Prime items are taking a week or longer. We have SAMS Plus (used to be Business). Had early shopping and free shipping online. Now early shopping is not happening and online orders that typically took a few days are now out a week or more. Two weeks in many cases. Are they using COVID19 to cut down on their shipping requirements for the additional paid service that was offered in the past?  I know our carriers are busy. 

Just a question. The cost of Amazon Prime continues to increase each year. As does SAMS Plus. 

I miss Sam's Club here in Canada.  I had the business membership as well.  As for Amazon Prime some of our normal 2 day deliveries are now estimated for 3 weeks.  Most items are coming in 4 days, but we have been waiting on one item for 2.5 weeks now.  We are rural so it is not a surprise to me. 

As for cost increases, I don't think they will decrease. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Wow, that is tough.  Do any stores near you have outside pick-up?  My nephew has picked up some things from a local store for us.  We order and pay online, then the store packs everything up and ready for a customer to put in the car. Had been working great so far.

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

Better have a whole lotta FCC's laying around. These are the "small ones" :

The “smaller” superyachts on Below Deck include the Ionian Princess at 150 feet, Ohana, Valor, and Sirocco at 154 feet each. Each luxury yacht comes with special features and different rental prices.

• Ionian Princess has one of the largest sundecks for a boat this size and cruises the waters in the Mediterranean. The vessel rents for $168,500 per week during the summer season and $145,500 per week in the winter.
  • Valor is also known as BG. BG rents for about $162,000 per week in the summer and $168,000 per week in the winter.  Below Deck featured this 154-foot yacht in two seasons.
  • Ohana, renamed “Rhino” includes a sweet bar and awesome sun deck. You can rent this 154-foot yacht for $140,000 a week any time during the charter season.
  • Sirocco includes, “Makassar wood, leather and natural stone throughout and an 8-person Jacuzzi and gym on [the] sundeck.” You can rent this vessel for $209,000 a week in the summer or $205,000 a week in the winter.

mac_tlc

Let's get 170 people to pay 1K each and rent the first one!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Wow, that is tough.  Do any stores near you have outside pick-up?  My nephew has picked up some things from a local store for us.  We order and pay online, then the store packs everything up and ready for a customer to put in the car. Had been working great so far.

Some have outside pick up but they are out of so many items that you really have to shop in the stores to plan a meal. This is why we subscribed to Homechef for 3 meals a week. The rest of the time we just wing it or order out.  I will say that all stores seem to be well stocked on snack foods like chips. The only problem was I had to go to 3 stores to find sour cream for dip. Yesterday I got the last 7 cans of crushed tomatoes for sauce. The only tea bags they had in one store was English Breakfast for $12.99 for 50 bags. At that price I'll drink Long Island Iced Teas. It's a bonus because the liquor store will deliver.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s not really hard to image. I heard the Mayor of NYC wants 6.5 Billion from us to fund general services in the city. 

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

NYC is in the U.S. (US). When I wrote my post, it was us, we....  the Mayor was asking the Federal Government to bail NYC out with 6.5 Billion. Who funds the Federal Government, we do , us, all the States . This was a request just to fund city services like PD, FD, EMT, Subway, Buses, Garbage Collection, and so on. 

Seems fair. Last year, New York gave the Federal Government - i.e., you, the taxpayer - $26 billion more in taxes than it received in Federal Aid. About time it got some of it's money back.

"New York paid $26.6 billion more in taxes to the federal government in federal fiscal year (FFY) 2018 than it got back in federal spending, ranking it last among the states, according to a report released today by State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli.

For every dollar New York generates in tax receipts it receives 90 cents back in federal spending, compared to the national average of $1.21,

https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/jan20/011420.htm

• Like 2

Does anyone really understand how these guidelines and phases work? Sure I understand the fine print, like most, but nobody knows what numerical numbers need to be hit to get from one phase to the next. Improved testing, what is that?  A 5% increase based off what you are completing now, which is minimal. A 14 day downward trend? Does this mean NY achieves that when they go from 7-10k daily, recent results, to 14 days of achieving 4500 new cases? So vague, the way I look at it, the governors will just determine based on there own thoughts. If anyone can explain how it actually works I would love to hear.