A New Perspective & a Deep Breath

KatieBelle

A friend sent us this link today and it truly gave me pause.  It is a blog page posted by Capt. Ablert Schoonderbeek on the Rotterdam of the Holland America fleet.  We are posting this link not to open and advance any cruise line comparisons.  Rather, our hope is that by reading the extreme challenges that crew members undertake every day and now have those challenges magnified beyond unforeseen global conditions, that we all might have some new perspective and understanding.

It is far too easy to post our frustrations about how our questions are not answered swiftly and of course with the answers we have already predetermined.  Maybe some of us here and on other boards will reconsider our numerous complaints of "Appalling behavior of Oceania management" and "How long does it take to cancel my cruise so I can receive my refund".  

I have a new appreciation for all those who work in for the cruise lines, not just Oceania.  They are undergoing hardships and heartbreaks we will never know about.  Hopefully, some of us will be moved to take a deep breath and give thanks.

Katie

https://www.captainalbert.com/24-march-10-april-2020-panama-to-fort-lauderdale/

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

A false dichotomy.

I can feel empathy for ship-based employees (yes they're going through a tough time, of course they are... nursing home down the street from me had 26 new cases Monday including 10 staff... people working on a ship are even more captive, I get it) while still wanting the shore-side corp to pull its finger out and return my money.

Also I must confess I don't care for his tone, one example:

-----

This blog is a compilation of the past period as seen through the eyes of yours truly and as I am not involved in politics (*) there is no opinion about why something happened, just what happened and how the ships made it work.

(*) Maybe Captains should all run for office, each in their respective country, I am absolutely convinced the world would have less issues.

-----

Seriously?

43 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

still wanting the shore-side corp to pull its finger out and return my money.

Also I must confess I don't care for his tone

Well there it is.  What was I thinking!?!   "No good deed [intention] goes unpunished."

For those of you who take Cruise "Critic" literally,  Carry On!

• Like 9

Hi Katie.

Another Captain who blogs is Captain Jonathan Mercer who was and is the Captain on the Amsterdam World cruise that ended in Fremantle Australia.  Lovely writer and I wish we had more Captains doing a blog.

http://captainjonathan.com/fremantle-and-the-end-of-the-world/

http://captainjonathan.com/3rd-april-indian-ocean-and-onwards/

Appreciate your post.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

They are undergoing hardships and heartbreaks we will never know about. 

I admit that I only made it about half way through due to extreme boredom. Did the second half talk about the "hardships and heartbreaks"? From my viewpoint this just talked about what people were doing. Sure it was different than usual but I don't see the issues. I'll also admit that I don't believe I've ever read a blog and now I probably won't. Why do people do this? False ego? 

PS: I know this isn't a kind reply but I honestly don't see any reason for sharing it.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this KatieBelle;  it gave me a good insight into what has been going on with these two ships.  To me, all of these crew members are heroes working so hard to keep C-19 contained.  I know crews work long and hard hours each day, but it seems that they were on 'double duty' this time!

Again, Thanks!

Donna

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

Well there it is.  What was I thinking!?!   "No good deed [intention] goes unpunished."

For those of you who take Cruise "Critic" literally,  Carry On!

Katie

Take a deep breath.  There are some posters who post incessantly, mostly about themselves, their general expertise in virtually everything, and their superior tastes and skills, who should look in a mirror and ask "False Ego?"  Then there are some others who care only about themselves. We learn to look at these posts as comic entertainment.  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Katie

Take a deep breath.  There are some posters who post incessantly, mostly about themselves, their general expertise in virtually everything, and their superior tastes and skills, who should look in a mirror and ask "False Ego?"  Then there are some others who care only about themselves. We learn to look at these posts as comic entertainment.  

If you can tell me a single thing about that "blog" that added anything to the conversation I'll gladly apologize. As far as sympathy I'll refer you to health care workers and all they're going through. I'm a white, senior, middle class person who is angry beyond belief at even a whisper of elitist'ism. This is far, far beyond anyone going on a stupid cruise.

7 hours ago, clo said:

If you can tell me a single thing about that "blog" that added anything to the conversation I'll gladly apologize. As far as sympathy I'll refer you to health care workers and all they're going through. I'm a white, senior, middle class person who is angry beyond belief at even a whisper of elitist'ism. This is far, far beyond anyone going on a stupid cruise.

You sound like a very negative and unhappy person. It shines through in all your posts. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, JVNYC said:

It shines through in all your posts. 

Well, I suppose I should feel flattered...but you clearly haven't read "all" my posts. I've been laughingly positive about many things.  But acting like those people were going above and beyond is just silly. I remember my first adult job was at CDC and everyone's job description had a last line of "performs other duties as assigned." If I knew someone who wrote the way that captain wrote I'd likely say "boy, he's sure full of himself." (BTW I hugely respect the people on cruise ships who make it happen every day and generally with a good spirit.)

5 hours ago, bigmjh said:

Also totally agree with Jancruz1.  BTW - the "Ignore User" option works beautifully to mute certain CC "rabble rousers".

I do that with Facebook/Messenger when I get added to groups or get those "pass it on" type messages.......first offence is ignored, second offence means they get "unfollowed" and third offence is a "block".......my timeline is orderly and my inbox clear of spam 😁😁

• Like 2