Will obese cruisers need a medical note?

hcat

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

We took our family to Door County and loved it. What a special area. We took in a lot of the tourist stuff, including the outdoor theater. That was a lot of fun.

I was thinking Chippewa Falls, BTW I was raised in Madison.

If cruising  does not work out for us..sounds like a visit to Door County would be a fun trip!   What's the  nearby lg airport?

• Like 2

To be fair to everyone, the ships should require a “fit to sail” form for every passenger.

The ships are not nursing homes at sea.    If your doctor does not believe you are safe to take a cruise, you shouldn’t take one.   I don’t believe anyone can go from average weight to obese when charts are revised.   You must have meant overweight to obese or average weight to overweight.

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

To be fair to everyone, the ships should require a “fit to sail” form for every passenger.

The ships are not nursing homes at sea.    If your doctor does not believe you are safe to take a cruise, you shouldn’t take one.   I don’t believe anyone can go from average weight to obese when charts are revised.   You must have meant overweight to obese or average weight to overweight.

IMHO it's much more complicated than that.  Let's say a person is 85 years old and has heart problems.  He/she is determined to continue living their life as long as they can and they love cruising  So they do.  Onboard they have a heart attack and pass away.  It is possible that there may be some short disruption or change of ports to get them medical assistance - and maybe not  But what is not possible is that multiple people on that ship will catch a heart attack, or that multiple people on that ship will need to be quarantined in their cabins to avoid a heart attack, or that ports will not let the ship dock because someone had a heart attack.  Unless the cruise line really messes up handling it in some way, it is also not at all likely that they will have any bad press because of it, much less lawsuits.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

IMHO it's much more complicated than that.  Let's say a person is 85 years old and has heart problems.  He/she is determined to continue living their life as long as they can and they love cruising  So they do.  Onboard they have a heart attack and pass away.  It is possible that there may be some short disruption or change of ports to get them medical assistance - and maybe not  But what is not possible is that multiple people on that ship will catch a heart attack, or that multiple people on that ship will need to be quarantined in their cabins to avoid a heart attack, or that ports will not let the ship dock because someone had a heart attack.  Unless the cruise line really messes up handling it in some way, it is also not at all likely that they will have any bad press because of it, much less lawsuits.  

My wife and I enjoy trans-Atlantics. It is a very mature crowd. Done like 8 and waiting for a refund on a next Friday Reflection trans-Atlantic to Ireland. What you stated happens alot. 

Hubby had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and I mentioned that we have a cruise booked for September. In the doc's opinion, to be safe the cruiseline would need to be able to administer rapid-result test for everyone when they board. That sounded good, but then I realized that that would have to happen in every report before we returned to the ship. What a mess that would be!
Emirates airline is doing blood based rapid test before boarding

Sent from my SM-G986U using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

If cruising  does not work out for us..sounds like a visit to Door County would be a fun trip!   What's the  nearby lg airport?
Green Bay airport is the closest, Madison and Milwaukee would be the biggest.

I was born in WI and my family is trying to convince us to give up cruising and buy a vacation home in WI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banjo said:

My wife and I enjoy trans-Atlantics. It is a very mature crowd. Done like 8 and waiting for a refund on a next Friday Reflection trans-Atlantic to Ireland. What you stated happens alot. 

Especially since there are several days (I believe 2?)  on a Trans-Atlantic where no medical evacuation is possible, so sick passengers are stuck with whatever limited medical treatment is available on the ship.

3 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Green Bay airport is the closest, Madison and Milwaukee would be the biggest.

I was born in WI and my family is trying to convince us to give up cruising and buy a vacation home in WI.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for airport info.  We use Southwest from LI NY. Will look into possibilities.

A vacation home sounds like a good idea...esp if you would be enjoy using it sev times a year or seasonally.  Seems like it might be a nice change from Arizona now and then.

We have always had a vacation place in Fla, even before retirement, and plan  to use it much more once the scourge passes. Hoping to cruise from Tampa, if schedules for 2021 are not shifted around, and if  I get a med note ...If  ...  if ....   if.

• Like 1

hcat- if they require a medical note for obese cruisers and a medical note for cruisers over 70, then each cruise line would be cut back to probably just one ship running Fitness Cruises for the small remaining glamorous crowd. The rest of us in the majority would need to find other vacation options.  All You Can Eat BINGO anybody?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@hcat, there are numerous groups more susceptible than others to COVID-19, but until the CDC acknowledges them in the same manner as 70+ passengers with underlying medical issues, you won't see the CLIA or its members taking any steps to require a doctor's "fit to sail" note from them. While in may not be fair to make a fit 70 year old acquire a note but not an obese 69 year old, I won't be sailing until the need for such notes has passed, so it has become a moot issue for me. 

It is indeed a moot issue.  We will not resume sailing until covid19 is no longer an issue.  If that takes until mid 2021, then we will not sail until then.  Likely no sailings until a vaccine is available.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

hcat- if they require a medical note for obese cruisers and a medical note for cruisers over 70, then each cruise line would be cut back to probably just one ship running Fitness Cruises for the small remaining glamorous crowd. The rest of us in the majority would need to find other vacation options.  All You Can Eat BINGO anybody?

Sad but true.  !

The obese issue becomes complicated. I had weight loss surgery and loss over 100 pounds. I am great shape and the healthiest I have been in years. No more sleep apnea or borderline diabetic. However, the BMI formula still says I am obese. Should I not be allowed to cruise. What about fly. What about driving. Where does it end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 4

On 4/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, Bo1953 said:

My weight loss before sailings will exclude me from the obesity issue... LOL

Once I gain it all back while on the sailing, it is way too late to stop me at embarkation!!!

bon voyage

Let us hope post Covid19 cruise requirements don't inlude weigh-ins at meal time 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I believe the 70+ doctor note rule was implemented for one reason and one reason only.  Because there's a high fatality rate of 70+ who catch the C19, this will assist X if their estates sue.

Too late to edit so I decided to expand.  X(/RCL) knows full well implementing the 70+ doctor note rule will turn away life-long passengers, so why do it?  Because they know if they're sued, they will lose.  C19 isn't a "pre-existing" condition; obesity isn't a lawsuit threat.

1 hour ago, treehugr said:

Let us hope post Covid19 cruise requirements don't inlude weigh-ins at meal time 😄 

LOL t - then they will have no choice but to sit us together....

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, hcat said:

I saw you found your airport question answered, so I won't expound on that.
Since Door County is in the far right side of Wisconsin, we enjoyed going west from there and then parts of Northern Wisconsin and parts of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as well.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, hcat said:

Door County will be happy to have you once the world re-opens!! 

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Thank you..

There's a whole lot of options waiting  to be discovered ..We live on Long Island NY...great beaches, boating, wineries!

come to the Finger Lakes in NYS. Lots of wineries here too.

Laura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If obese are banned along with diabetics and heart disease and of course COPD and asthma they will have no problems with social distancing as the ships will be empty.

FWIW the death rate for COVID19 of those under 70 with underlying conditions is also very high.  Would think with the knowledge base today nobody in those groups would cruise.

As others have said until a vaccine exists for Covid19 cruising very unlikely.  We have an August transatlantic in 2021.  Would give it 50/50.

FWIW - wife has moderate asthma.  Would not consider getting on a cruise ship.

13 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

come to the Finger Lakes in NYS. Lots of wineries here too.

Laura

Have been there..love the area. Aside from natural beauty,  the air is crisp and clean!

• Like 1