When will they cancel Europe 2020

kingart55

1 minute ago, Husky61 said:

Looks like no one on this forum knows for sure about Europe being cancelled.  Just guesses and opinions.😀

How would anyone on this forum Know for Sure? I doubt Very Very much anyone in control of this or involved in any of this type of discussions wouldn’t be even near this forum, or if somehow was part of it, would make any statement except, “my opinion is...’.  I’d say pretty much everything we post is guesses and opinions.....except for me of course.......and maybe you!

Den

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Ama and Tauck also canceled all of their river cruises through June.  I know that's not ocean sailing, but, for me, it's a good way to, perhaps, gauge where we are headed with cruising in general this summer.  If European countries don't want these smaller ships disembarking 200 or so guests into their smaller towns, I can't imagine they want 2,000+ people pouring out of a cruise ship at their bigger ports.  We are booked with Ama on a Rhine cruise in August and I'm hoping we will know within the month if that is happening or not.  After reading an article about the vast antibody tests Germany is conducting, I can't imagine they want any US citizens there right now - I would assume that would really mess with their data.  But I'm not a scientist and I'm just speculating of course.

At this time no country in Europe has decided about re-opening dates for local tourism, hotels and travel. However, it will start with travel within specific countries and thereafter within the EU. Some people should consider that you do not need American travelers to offer a cruise within Europe.

9 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

At this time no country in Europe has decided about re-opening dates for local tourism, hotels and travel. However, it will start with travel within specific countries and thereafter within the EU. Some people should consider that you do not need American travelers to offer a cruise within Europe.

Yes, I completely understand that.  Perhaps I should have created two separate paragraphs in my post to signify I was talking about two separate issues.  If cruise lines or river cruises are able to cruise in Europe this summer and US citizens are not allowed into European countries to embark or disembark, I certainly hope the cruise lines are prepared to offer refunds.  At some point, depending on who is allowed to travel, they will have to decide if it's worth it to sail.

10 hours ago, maxsales said:

Well I would say greed cuts both ways. Wasn’t it greed ( reduced fare) that started this process?  The customer had the choice at time of booking to take a NRD or a RD and chose the NRD.

Not all countries offer a NRD. Also, when we booked months ago, unless we became ill, we were going to do our cruise. So that restriction wasn't a concern. Pretty sure no one in the world predicted a pandemic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harz99 said:

Don't be so sure about Insurance companies picking up that cost, especially if you (we) cancel before final payment date and before the cruise line has announced cancellation of your cruise.

In the case of Australia we know we won't be allowed to travel overseas until after our winter. Let's say October. We can cancel now, wear the gap payment, and claim the balance. If Celebrity would do the right thing as they know July isn't a goer in Europe then we would receive full refund. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

In the case of Australia we know we won't be allowed to travel overseas until after our winter. Let's say October. We can cancel now, wear the gap payment, and claim the balance. If Celebrity would do the right thing as they know July isn't a goer in Europe then we would receive full refund. 

Yup,

Not only is it 100% true for you Aussies, but I think the Kiwis are in the same situation.

I'm US based, so our terms are different. I’ve taken Celebrity’s offer to cancel everything, for a full refund through the end of 2020. My advice, for what it’s worth, if you wait, you might get a better deal. Look at the Celebrity site for how their “Cruise with Confidence” policy applies to Aussies.

We’ve moved some cruises out to mid-2021, at no cost with only a small down payment required, but only where we had unique itineraries, ones that we really wanted.

My gripe, and it seems to be yours as well, is that the rolling month by month cancellations are making re-planning trip-by-trip both really annoying, and very time consuming. Extremely frustrating.

Best of luck, whatever you decide, hope we see each other onboard again sooner, rather than later.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Pushke,

Not to add to the bazillion points, already discussed here on CC. CC just put new info up on the site:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5275/?et_cid=3326246&et_rid=16875594&et_referrer=Boards

It summarizes many things on our minds, and may provide info that hasn’t shown “down under”, yet.

Ruth & Larry

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ldambra said:

Pushke,

Not to add to the bazillion points, already discussed here on CC. CC just put new info up on the site:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5275/?et_cid=3326246&et_rid=16875594&et_referrer=Boards

It summarizes many things on our minds, and may provide info that hasn’t shown “down under”, yet.

Ruth & Larry

Thankyou for that, and indeed informative. We are on Edge which is currently in the US. Somewhere! It's a possibility then, if they can get the ship to leave US that it could do an empty cruise to the Med and avoid those restrictions that cease mid July and restart from there. Our cruise starts July 27 so might be just a tad early but next cruise may go. On the other hand we have a Do Not Travel alert in Australia now so we can't travel anyway. But that isn't Celebrities problem but ours. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ldambra said:

Pushke,

Ruth & Larry

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Thank you for that, and indeed informative. We are on Edge which is currently in the US. Somewhere! It's a possibility then, if they can get the ship to leave US that it could do an empty cruise to the Med and avoid those restrictions that cease mid July and restart from there. Our cruise starts July 27 so might be just a tad early but next cruise may go. On the other hand we have a Do Not Travel alert in Australia now so we can't travel anyway. But that isn't Celebrities problem but ours. 

Pushka,

Tough decisions, and the only advice I can legitimately provide, is that you live in a beautiful, diverse, and really large country. Jump in your car, travel at home, support your local businesses, and wait for all of this nonsense to fade away. As it ultimately will over time, but maybe a quite a protracted period of time!

The EU will be more far more restrictive than our US politically motivated leadership. So their restrictions will long extend beyond those of the US. Take the offer for a 100% refund, if that’s what they offer to you, so you can weather the storm, and live well until it all subsides.

Wishing you all the best,

Ruth & Larry 

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, hcat said:

HCAT,

Thanks for that last post. Makes me feel good for posting items on issues, those for which I actually have documentation, and evidence.

It captures the essence of why the purported “misinformation”, info of which many bloggers deny is hurting cruisers. So ... they continue to post about how the whole thing is overblown, and I’m an alarmist. Top number one comment, “We’re still going, no matter what!”. Great until you’re cancelled a week before you try to get on a plane.

Thanks for engaging with fact, not innuendo!

Edited by ldambra
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So April 15th plus 100 days is July 24th?  That sounds like the earliest cruises will start for US based cruises?

Yup,

Until they add another 100 days, because we’re not sure yet.

Optimistically, I hope it's done long before.

Thanks! 

Edited by ldambra

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thanks,

Good post.

You’ve always brought great info to the threads, and we appreciate your quality input, and insightful comments!

Ruth and Larry

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ldambra said:

Pushka,

Tough decisions, and the only advice I can legitimately provide, is that you live in a beautiful, diverse, and really large country. Jump in your car, travel at home, support your local businesses, and wait for all of this nonsense to fade away. As it ultimately will over time, but maybe a quite a protracted period of time!

The EU will be more far more restrictive than our US politically motivated leadership. So their restrictions will long extend beyond those of the US. Take the offer for a 100% refund, if that’s what they offer to you, so you can weather the storm, and live well until it all subsides.

Wishing you all the best,

Ruth & Larry 

Yes, we plan to do exactly that. Can I throw a spanner in though? Currently even within Australia we cant travel out of our own State (South Australia) because we will have to isolate for 14 days when we return home! We are also not even allowed into Western Australia, Queensland or Tasmania.  We have shut the country down completely except for Victoria and New South Wales. On the other hand, Australia has had less than 100 deaths country wide. 

Mmm, so its the 24th July now. Please cancel the 27th for Med Edge Celebrity and get it over with? 

Edited by Pushka

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Not all countries offer a NRD. Also, when we booked months ago, unless we became ill, we were going to do our cruise. So that restriction wasn't a concern. Pretty sure no one in the world predicted a pandemic. 

Yes, that's exactly how I felt as well.  This would mark the third year we would have done the same cruise during the same week.  I put down a NRD and purchased travel insurance (like I always do once a travel component becomes non-refundable) knowing the cruise was a go unless one of us got sick.  There is no way in the world I knew in mid-December 2019 we would be in the midst of a pandemic and the insurance I purchased to protect our trip would not work during these circumstances.  I mean, it didn't even cross my mind to make sure we had pandemic insurance!!

34 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes, we plan to do exactly that. Can I throw a spanner in though? Currently even within Australia we cant travel out of our own State (South Australia) because we will have to isolate for 14 days when we return home! We are also not even allowed into Western Australia, Queensland or Tasmania.  We have shut the country down completely except for Victoria and New South Wales. On the other hand, Australia has had less than 100 deaths country wide. 

Mmm, so its the 24th July now. Please cancel the 27th for Med Edge Celebrity and get it over with? 

Totally with you.

Sad thing is that we’re still locked down here in South Florida, at least for the long term. Can’t leave our homes without masks, protective equipment, and a valid excuse. No end in sight, anytime soon.

So I can’t provide any of you folks with any more information. Really sorry, but our  municipal, local, state, and national governments don’t want to give us more up-to-date, or any true and forthright info.

As I posted, and was vilified for, 2020 is dead for us. Not my opinion, it’s what X has already posted.

Sorry, Wish I had better news!

Edited by ldambra

9 minutes ago, ldambra said:

Totally with you.

Sad thing is that we’re still locked down here in South Florida, at least for the long term. Can’t leave our homes without masks, protective equipment, and a valid excuse. No end in sight, anytime soon.

So I can’t provide any of you folks with any more information. Really sorry, but our  municipal, local, state, and national governments don’t want to give us more up-to-date, or any true and forthright info.

As I posted, and was vilified for, 2020 is dead for us. Not my opinion, it’s what X has already posted.

Where did X report this. We have canceled all our 2020 cruises as well as early 2021.

12 minutes ago, ldambra said:

Totally with you.

Our work involved attending a fairly secure Government planning session in late February. The next day I bought another Fridge and started stocking up.  In January I didnt give it much thought. Come early March we started cancelling all our 2020 travel. Luckily in Australia, so far, we have escaped so that the curve started to flatten almost immediately but financially it is a cot case.  We dont have to wear masks outside although some do as we didnt get much community spread. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

Where did X report this. We have canceled all our 2020 cruises as well as early 2021.

Well, I officially pronounce you as a genius, because you listened to all  of the official advice, even when others castigated the rest to of us for honesty. 

E-mail reply only.today, totally impossible to get through to a live CVP., as of several days ago.

Thanks for weighing in, nice to know that there are still a few rational individuals left in on the planet!

Edited by ldambra
  • Like 1

-- CCL's president admitted on CNBC last week that cruising won't resume until social distancing is no longer necessary.

-- CCL said in its April quarterly filing with the SEC that it expects to put "the substantial majority of our fleet" into prolonged ship layup.

-- The CDC No Sail Order presents a very damning case about cruising's role in the spread of the virus. It also sets conditions that include cruise-line-provided hospital and rescue ships.

-- Royal Caribbean dumped 26 percent of its workforce and said many of those job cuts are "permanent."

-- Cruise news in the past two weeks has reported COVID-19 deaths of several crew members, including a ship's doctor.

-- CC's board for weeks now have been flooded with complaints from people who can't get their deposits back quickly.

My guidance to all:
    If you interpret these facts to mean "Cruising is coming back a lot sooner than people think! I better hurry to book a cabin & send in some cash right away," well than do exactly that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

-- CCL's president admitted on CNBC last week that cruising won't resume until social distancing is no longer necessary.

-- CCL said in its April quarterly filing with the SEC that it expects to put "the substantial majority of our fleet" into prolonged ship layup.

-- The CDC No Sail Order presents a very damning case about cruising's role in the spread of the virus. It also sets conditions that include cruise-line-provided hospital and rescue ships.

-- Royal Caribbean dumped 26 percent of its workforce and said many of those job cuts are "permanent."

-- Cruise news in the past two weeks has reported COVID-19 deaths of several crew members, including a ship's doctor.

-- CC's board for weeks now have been flooded with complaints from people who can't get their deposits back quickly.

My guidance to all:
    If you interpret these facts to mean "Cruising is coming back a lot sooner than people think! I better hurry to book a cabin & send in some cash right away," well than do exactly that.

Thank you.  I have gotten tired of trying to keep people informed.  It gets exhausting typing the same thing over and over again. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

The EU will be more far more restrictive than our US politically motivated leadership. So their restrictions will long extend beyond those of the US.

I have read that President Macron of France is suggesting that the Schengin countries ( most of EU) keep their borders closed until September. As the US is about 2 weeks behind the peak in Europe, he doesn’t wasn’t tourists re -infecting Europe.