No Old People

CruisingAlong4Now

I'm laughing at the threads on the Ask a Cruise Question and on the Royal Caribbean  boards which espouse the position that old people shouldn't be allowed to cruise because if they get sick, they tend to get very sick, and they may overwhelm the on-board medical facilities.

"Suggestions RCL needs to do to get people cruising again"  Solution: Ban passengers in higher risk categories (age, diabetes, smokers, asthma, autoimmune diseases, etc.) for the foreseeable future.  The categories I listed are just possibilities. Ultimately scientists/doctors would have to release a list of categories/conditions that would prohibit going on a cruise ship. The argument was that they ban babies under 6 months so they should ban old people.

"9 ways cruising will be different when it starts up again"

Solution: restrictions on who can travel. Don't let old people travel because they tend to be sicker than young people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

22 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

I'm laughing at the threads on the Ask a Cruise Question and on the Royal Caribbean  boards which espouse the position that old people shouldn't be allowed to cruise because if they get sick, they tend to get very sick, and they may overwhelm the on-board medical facilities.

"Suggestions RCL needs to do to get people cruising again"  Solution: Ban passengers in higher risk categories (age, diabetes, smokers, asthma, autoimmune diseases, etc.) for the foreseeable future.  The categories I listed are just possibilities. Ultimately scientists/doctors would have to release a list of categories/conditions that would prohibit going on a cruise ship. The argument was that they ban babies under 6 months so they should ban old people.

"9 ways cruising will be different when it starts up again"

Solution: restrictions on who can travel. Don't let old people travel because they tend to be sicker than young people. 

Just think about the wonderful things that those of us over 70 accomplished for the planet.😀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

But what is "Old People"?  When I was 10 years old 30 was old.  When I was 30 years old 60 was old.  Now that I am almost 60 years old 80 is old.  What will I think when I am 80?

Also

How old do I need to be before i feel old enough for the Adult table at Thanksgiving Dinner?

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Currently where we live by far the largest number of new covid cases fall in the 20-29 age range.  Thanks to early opening.  Public health professionals expect the number to grow substantially.

People who think that we have wrestled this to the ground are dreaming in technicolor.  Nothing has changed except isolation.  Now that this is coming to an end, the number of covid cases is expected to rise exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

Also

How old do I need to be before i feel old enough for the Adult table at Thanksgiving Dinner?

Mike - you never have to sit @ the Adult Table...
My Nieces & Nephews now like to sit me at the table with their children...

I consider it an honor to spoil them rotten & teach them all the fun I taught their parents 😇

• Like 5

COVID mortality definitely goes up with age.   

Here is the data for San Diego that I "normalized" for age to show the differences in case outcomes based on age  independent of any other risk factors:

54657674_SDcounty.JPG.a2e6214dc20d894935723f9c8a3eefcf.JPG

The cases will grow day to day, but the outcome percentages won't vary much.  Look at the SD county web site if you want to check my arithmetic:

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/community_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/status.html

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/Epidemiology/COVID-19 Deaths by Date of Death.pdf

From my perspective, it is likely that older people (defined by actual age rather than state of mind) may lose some of  their travel mobility for an extended period of time.   My 96 year old father is wondering if he will ever get out of quarantine.  As someone in their early 60's, I would think twice before travelling at the current time.  My kids probably have a different view than mine. 

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this whole question of age actually age discrimination ( which is illegal)?  What next ?  Discrimination against the handicapped.  Or those with less than perfect vision?  Do you wear glasses or contacts? 

Most everone has heard the phrase, 'old and wise'.  And there is much truth in that phrase.  We learn (usually) as we get older.  Few realize that there is a corrolary to that phrase.  It is;  'Young and dumb'.  Young people typically do dumb things such as excessive drinking, smoking, reckless driving , eating unwisely,  listening to ear piercing loud music, etc., etc.  If they live long enough on thre road of life, they usually learn about their mistakes and become wiser as they age.  Life becomes more precious and most mature adults cease reckless behavior.

Read carefully:  I'm not saying these  are absolutes that apply to everyone.  But in general, I do believe most become wiser with time and life experience.

For those who might want to challenge me on this, I would ask, "How old are you"?  Are you Y&D or O&W?

16 hours ago, NSnJW said:

Is Old & Dumb an option? 😉

It's ALL relative.  Some more than others.  Some never grow up.  Some never mature.  Some never learn.  Some never age.  Aging can be a state of mind and attittude.

• 1 month later...

Looks like RCCL, Celebrity, and NCL don't want people over 70.  Medical forms need to be filled out, with NCL requiring them to be within 7 days of embarkation (that cuts out most with any type of group health). 

How many over 70 do NOT suffer from one chronic illness or another?  Diabetes makes you ineligible to sail??

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf

https://gageplatprod1stor1.blob.core.windows.net/portal/16/AssetLibrary/Document/5ebb649e-f24a-4a77-bd74-c9b07f2294b7.pdf

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Physician-Fit-to-Sail-Form.pdf

32 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

kk.  Thanks for letting me know this is old news and not required.

I'm going anyway.  My wife says I am very immature and that I should act my age.  I qualify and if I don't get my way, I'll hold my breath!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

The cruise industry would be a tenth of the size it is now without us and our disposable income.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, rvrocker said:

even better keep the snot noised bratty kids off the ships

Amen!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We are 78 and 79 and have no intention of giving up cursing.  Nor are we giving up pickleball and the rock and roll dances in our community. But we have modified the way we used to cruise. We have switched to the smaller more laid back lines. For Europe we book Regent and let them fly us over the pond in business class, and let them take care of all the tours. For the Carib. we sail on the Windsurf and enjoy the sails. Instead of snorkeling ( we've seen all the fish before) we tour botanical gardens, enjoy the beach or just stay onboard.  Been to Alaska twice but plan to go again just to enjoy the scenery.  We hope not to get old for at least another 10-15 years!. We have met people well into their 80s on many of our cruises.

• Haha 1

@honumaui101 is the number of days we have booked, not a countdown to our next cruise. However, all the stuff we have booked is for early 2022 in New Zealand, Australia, and the South Pacific. Since NZ/Oz aren't going to let us in, those will be Covid-canceled as well. We canceled everything for 2020 and 2021 in April of 2020, when it was clear those cruises would not happen (Asia in late 2020, Oceania in early 2021). We had thought that moving everything nearly 2 years out to the region that then had the best handle on things would work. We were wrong. 

We live mostly in our motor home now, land cruising around the contiguous 48, and making our own bed and meals. We just entered AZ from NM, on our way home to CA. We will fly to HI later this month, so I am seeing other connections, between us, besides typos. 

• Like 1

Are you in AZ now? We live in Oro Valley north of Tucson. We lived in So Cal (San Diego) for over 40 years but retired to AZ 5 years ago ( although my husband still works part time from home.)  Spent time in Maui every year since 1999. Not going again until all is open. Maybe this fall. We have one cruise scheduled for Dec .(Carib) on Oceania , two for next year (Alaska & East coast)  on Star Pride and one for 2023 (Europe)on Regent.

4 minutes ago, honumaui said:

Are you in AZ now? We live in Oro Valley north of Tucson. We lived in So Cal (San Diego) for over 40 years but retired to AZ 5 years ago ( although my husband still works part time from home.)  Spent time in Maui every year since 1999. Not going again until all is open. Maybe this fall. We have one cruise scheduled for Dec .(Carib) on Oceania , two for next year (Alaska & East coast)  on Star Pride and one for 2023 (Europe)on Regent.

Yes. I-40, Exit 330, approaching Petrified Forest National Park. Hubby is fighting the wind while I kick back and mess around on my laptop. I appreciate him!