Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

Just now, wowzz said:

For goodness sake, no one cares about going to the post office. Get back to the original question.

Oh, settle down. my point is that I could see myself wearing a mask every time I'm outside. Period.

Just now, wowzz said:

I prefer living the same way as I have always lived. 

But, get back to the original question. 

Speaking of I'm the OP. LOL. And am shocked this thread has gone on this long.

Just now, clo said:

Oh, settle down. my point is that I could see myself wearing a mask every time I'm outside. Period.

So, when you go on a cruise again, you will wear a mask every time you leave your cabin. You have made your point, and don't need to add to the debate.

OK - back on topic (assuming there is any point to it):  of course I would not wear a mask every time I left my cabin - for a number of reasons.

1) Wearing a mask is primarily to prevent your infecting others, not to protect you. Anyone who thinks any significant number of those others would be wearing their masks clearly isn’t thinking clearly.

2) Just how could you be wearing a mask while eating?

3) Finally, there is no way I would want to be on a cruise ship while such a precaution might be in place.

I have to wonder how many who have checked this thread (and who took the time to think about it) would actually say yes.   Drifting off this particular topic is simply courtesy - there being no reason to keep it on life support.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I prefer "senior living' 🙂

Age is only a number .I do not feel any older than I did when I was in my twenties.I just have medical issues that cause me not to move as much as I could when I was younger.

I have a neighbor who is 85 .Prior to the pandemic he played basketball every day and golf 3 times a week.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have to wonder how many who have checked this thread (and who took the time to think about it) would actually say yes.   Drifting off this particular topic is simply courtesy - there being no reason to keep it on life support.

Right. It's a month and a half old. SO much has changed, hasn't it?  I don't even read it every time there's a star n front 🙂

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Age is only a number .I do not feel any older than I did when I was in my twenties.I just have medical issues that cause me not to move as much as I could when I was younger.

"Age is only a number.".  I agree except on those mornings when I arise and I feel every bit the age I am. 

Mentally, I am much younger than I am physically, I think.  

I have friends who failed mentally.  I have friends who have failed physically.  I'll take the route of trying to keep sharp mentally even with my physical frailties.  God willing, of course.  

40 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

1) Wearing a mask is primarily to prevent your infecting others, not to protect you. Anyone who thinks any significant number of those others would be wearing their masks clearly isn’t thinking clearly.

Requiring wearing a mask for whatever reason on a cruise, on a plane, on Amtrak, visit a drive to tourist destination?:  I find wearing a mask very unpleasant for both physiological and physical reasons.  Why spend money to fly, cruise, take Amtrak, or even driving to a tourist destination?  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

"Age is only a number.".  I agree except on those mornings when I arise and I feel every bit the age I am. 

Mentally, I am much younger than I am physically, I think.  

I have friends who failed mentally.  I have friends who have failed physically.  I'll take the route of trying to keep sharp mentally even with my physical frailties.  God willing, of course.  

You and I are the same age ,I believe .If you recall a conversation we had before anyone ever heard of the Corona Virus which 99% of the posts are related to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Requiring wearing a mask for whatever reason on a cruise, on a plane, on Amtrak, visit a drive to tourist destination?:  I find wearing a mask very unpleasant for both physiological and physical reasons.  Why spend money to fly, cruise, take Amtrak, or even driving to a tourist destination?  

Again,another excellent post.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Well, this situation could be with us for a long time and masks are now being recommended for everyone every time they're outside their home/car. What's your mask made of? Ours are soft cotton and fit behind our ears not tie on the back of our head. I've gotten quite used to them by now.

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Again,another excellent post.

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Ours are soft cotton and fit behind our ears not tie on the back of our head. I've gotten quite used to them by now.

Because of the birth defect that I have with one of my ears, a strap does not fit behind that ear.

I have been able to figure out a way that that side of my glasses' earpiece will help hold the elastic strap for the mask.  It's not perfect; it does not always hold as I wanted. It's embarrassing to try to adjust it when others are seeing that it has failed.  

My current shortness of breath issues compound my issues with a mask.  When the real heat/humidity of Summer hits Ohio, how am I going to be able to stand wearing a mask that restricts my breathing?  

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.

Because of the birth defect that I have with one of my ears, a strap does not fit behind that ear.

I have been able to figure out a way that that side of my glasses' earpiece will help hold the elastic strap for the mask.  It's not perfect; it does not always hold as I wanted. It's embarrassing to try to adjust it when others are seeing that it has failed.  

My current shortness of breath issues compound my issues with a mask.  When the real heat/humidity of Summer hits Ohio, how am I going to be able to stand wearing a mask that restricts my breathing?  

Well, that just sucks. I don't have breathing problems but I do get hotter than most people so I'm not looking forward to summer either.

Our masks just have cotton for the straps. Like this:

4 Pack Cotton Mouth Face Masks Mouth Cover for Men and Women ...

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes - wearing a mask is neither comfortable nor convenient. But, there are occasionally necessary things that are neither comfortable nor convenient - like going to the dentist or having a colonoscopy,  so we do them. 

If it is necessary to fly somewhere or take a train or a bus and masks are recommended for safety, wearing masks make sense.   But to think about an unnecessary activity like cruising justifying wearing a mask is something else. If cruising is either unsafe (or not permitted) without masks, then cruising can wait.

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If cruising is either unsafe (or not permitted) without masks, then cruising can wait.

I wish the powers that be would give some solid info up to and including shutting them down completely. Then people could start to adjust.

39 minutes ago, clo said:

I wish the powers that be would give some solid info up to and including shutting them down completely. Then people could start to adjust.

If it makes you feel better I read a couple of articles about Europe cruising including a CC one that was quite good and it seems they are still trying to work out what should be done. They don't want to shut down cruising but they are still undecided on how to proceed, though some destinations have said one strategy is to decrease the number of people. They want to stagger out the ships arrivals so they don't all come at once and they want cruise ship tour group sizes to be smaller. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, when you go on a cruise again, you will wear a mask every time you leave your cabin. You have made your point, and don't need to add to the debate.

Pot calling the kettle black time... 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

OK - back on topic (assuming there is any point to it):  of course I would not wear a mask every time I left my cabin - for a number of reasons.

2) Just how could you be wearing a mask while eating?

3) Finally, there is no way I would want to be on a cruise ship while such a precaution might be in place.

Come on NBT.  Do I really need to explain #2 to you?  I thought you were more intelligent than that.  😉  How do health care workers eat?  Same thing, same way.  I've stopped counting how many people in how many groups across how much social media somehow have to ask this question.   YOU TAKE OFF THE MASK WHILE EATING.  You have it on while negotiating your way to your physically distanced table or bar chair.  

53 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Come on NBT.  Do I really need to explain #2 to you?  I thought you were more intelligent than that.  😉  How do health care workers eat?  Same thing, same way.  I've stopped counting how many people in how many groups across how much social media somehow have to ask this question.   YOU TAKE OFF THE MASK WHILE EATING.  You have it on while negotiating your way to your physically distanced table or bar chair.  

Yes, ma'am. We've eaten in four restaurants n the last few weeks. We wear our masks to our table, remove the mask, and put them on before we get up from our table. Our servers wear masks and gloves. And, yes, "physically distanced table."   

I have already answered (much earlier) the actual question.

But it baffles me how people could expect this to happen on a ship.

The guidelines for correct mask use (here in the UK, and I assume elsewhere) are:

The mask should be put on with clean hands, and not touched again until it is removed.

When it is removed, re-useable masks should be washed and disposable masks disposed of.

On the basis that each time you leave your cabin you need a clean mask, you'll either have to embark with a suitcase full of masks or spend a lot of time in your cabin.

Neither appeals to me, so my answer is still no.