Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I am sure you can figure out how to wear a mask.  Stop excuses.   Wear a mask when out around others.   Let's pull together to get past this thing.  

I do not appreciate your unkind response.  I want to be a responsible citizen.  I am NOT making excuses.  I am doing the best that I can to try to figure this out.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I do not appreciate your unkind response.  I want to be a responsible citizen.  I am NOT making excuses.  I am doing the best that I can to try to figure this out.  

Hang in there, buddy. These are tough times.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, d9704011 said:

From the 3M (manufacturer of the N95 respirator) website:

• NIOSH approved for at least 95 percent filtration efficiency against certain non-oil based particles

yes! that is the spec, but not 95% effective against SARS-CoV-2 or getting COVID19, here is a prime example of taking something and twisting it to and spinning some level of disinformation.

For the record, I wear a N95, have a few, better than nothing.  Of course if you wear it upside down ( seen ), poorly fitted ( seen ), one strap ( seen ) it is far less effective, but better than the fool who thinks / reads about these issues and makes that the argument to not wear.  I can never figure those fools out, LOL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

yes! that is the spec, but not 95% effective against SARS-CoV-2 or getting COVID19, here is a prime example of taking something and twisting it to and spinning some level of disinformation.

I trust you don’t think I’m trying to advocate for, or inform on, the N95 respecting its effectiveness as protection against certain viruses?  I was simply responding to an earlier post regarding the meaning of ‘95’.

Edit:  BTW, if I need to wear a mask on a cruise ship, I will not be on the ship.

Edited by d9704011

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Edit:  BTW, if I need to wear a mask on a cruise ship, I will not be on the ship.

Common sense - there are too many other ways to get exposed on a cruise ship — particularly one on which the operators believe there is sufficient chance of contagion to require masks - to hope to rely on a mask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I assume you must have a lot, as they cannot be reused.

Well, they won't kill the wearer, will they? There are thousands upon thousands of health care worker who are wearing ONE at least all shift.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My apologies.  My note does not read well at all.   

Take care.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, they won't kill the wearer, will they? There are thousands upon thousands of health care worker who are wearing ONE at least all shift.

The longer you wear it the less effective they are at protecting anyone. As the moisture builds up in the mask fibres it eventually gets to a stage where you can breath it in and breath it out thereby spreading droplets. It also causes secondary problems like skin irritation and rashes which after hours of being on a hospital floor dealing with sick and dying patients on top of being mentally drained is really terrible way to end a shift😔. If one thing comes out of this pandemic I hope as a society we will value our health care systems a lot more. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, clo said:

They wear ONE all shift because they don't have the supplies they need. The only thing they can do at this point is wear a cloth mask over the N95 to try to extend wearability. They certainly don''t wear one N95 all day because they want to. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I assume you must have a lot, as they cannot be reused.

We've been re-using them for three weeks.  I have it sit outside hanging from my car mirror, gets cooled < 50 degrees in the evening and lots of UV and easily 100 in the enclosed car.    Is it 100% effective, of course not, is it degrading yup, but including smart social distancing smarter and better for me and my neighbors, but still see a lot of stupid people out with no mask and total lack of regard for their fellow human, go figure, but it is the US we are #1 in deaths, #1 in cases and #1 in rich land #1 in arrogance in desire of freedom... not a surprise, but I don't need to live stupid 🤣

We do have a couple packs from HomeDepot before they ran out and also suspended sales from January.  Sadly I could see the train wreck already then....sigh.. 

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

That anything is better than nothing does not apply. Worn improperly or handled improperly will expose the wearer to more danger. There is nothing irresponsible about correcting misconceptions and irresponsible people. I think your emoji implies sarcasm but not sure the people on this board can detect sarcasm very well. 🙂

I was implying sarcasm and should have thought better than even posting that part 🙂 Frustration at the lack of communication and understanding from many of us (myself included) got the better of me 😳

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Too many post before they think. (And I don't mean to pick on the person to whom you responded.) We are not a nameless, faceless bunch of people who need to be lectured. We are individuals with specific issues, needs, etc. and I wish others would remember that before posting mindless gobbledygook.

Cruise Critic is not the place for social or political keyboard warriors. It is normally a kinder place, but maybe everyone is just on edge due to the quarantine and a lack of vitamin "C" (Cruising)...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

They wear ONE all shift because they don't have the supplies they need. The only thing they can do at this point is wear a cloth mask over the N95 to try to extend wearability. They certainly don''t wear one N95 all day because they want to. 

There is no need to change a mask during the shift. Once your in the hospital setting why would you ever take it off?! Does it magically become less reliable over 2 or 4 or even 6 hours? NO

BTW the amount of masks available is a crazy high number at this point. Get your facts straight before fearmongering.

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

There is no need to change a mask during the shift. Once your in the hospital setting why would you ever take it off?! Does it magically become less reliable over 2 or 4 or even 6 hours? NO

Yes it does because every time you breath you are putting moisture into the mask  this makes it a breeding ground for bacteria and virus including the one you are trying to protect yourself from.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Yes it does because every time you breath you are putting moisture into the mask  this makes it a breeding ground for bacteria and virus including the one you are trying to protect yourself from.

That's ridiculous. 2-6 hours for a mask? Lol no dont think so. I've used multiple different kinds of masks and respirators at work for protection from silica dust. 

Never has I once changed it mid shift it makes no sense too. 

Your probably one of the same people saying "we have no masks" which is a huge lie. (Masks are being produced in this country faster than healthcare facilities  could possibly use them.) 

7 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

That's ridiculous. 2-6 hours for a mask? Lol no dont think so. I've used multiple different kinds of masks and respirators at work for protection from silica dust. 

Never has I once changed it mid shift it makes no sense too. 

Your probably one of the same people saying "we have no masks" which is a huge lie. (Masks are being produced in this country faster than healthcare facilities  could possibly use them.) 

Silica dust and bacteria/viruses are two different things, one is an inanimate object the other replicates and breeds, therefore you need different equipment and different standards to those equipment. And no I am not one of those who says there is not enough masks, but I am listening to the the frontline medical workers who complain they don't have enough masks after all how can I know if there is enough PPE when I am not working in the frontline of healthcare? If they say they aren't getting enough equipment that to me sounds like a problem, where that problem is in the supply chain I do not know but it seems to me highly unlikely the frontline healthcare workers would be protesting in the streets if there wasn't a problem.

• Like 3

Back to the topic, no i will not cruise wearing a mask. If it was only for certain times then maybe. I need to get back on a ship soon. I like to cruise 3 times a year, but not this year. I got off of my last ship on March 8th. My next cruise will be January 2021.  

1 hour ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

I need to get back on a ship soon.

Isn't it more correct to say you'd really like to "get back on a ship soon" rather than "need"?

4 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

BTW the amount of masks available is a crazy high number at this point. Get your facts straight before fearmongering.

Hospital healthcare workers change their masks throughout the day. Protocol is to change between patients; this includes gloves and other PPE. Emergency room workers may even be required to change PPE while working with one patient, depending on the care being given.

There may be crazy high numbers of masks (and other PPE) being manufactured, but they aren't being evenly supplied in all areas where they are/will be needed.

Southern New Mexico is expecting the COVID-19 surge to hit in about a week. Our hospitals don't have the supplies they need; hopefully that will change in the coming week. I'm not fearmongering, just stating a fact.

Edited by mammajamma2013
Add a comment

28 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Hospital healthcare workers change their masks throughout the day. Protocol is to change between patients; this includes gloves and other PPE. Emergency room workers may even be required to change PPE while working with one patient, depending on the care being given.

There may be crazy high numbers of masks (and other PPE) being manufactured, but they aren't being evenly supplied in all areas where they are/will be needed.

Southern New Mexico is expecting the COVID-19 surge to hit in about a week. Our hospitals don't have the supplies they need; hopefully that will change in the coming week. I'm not fearmongering, just stating a fact.

But apparently some are not interested in fact. Just their misguided refusal to accept reality and science.

2 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

Back to the topic, no i will not cruise wearing a mask. If it was only for certain times then maybe. I need to get back on a ship soon. I like to cruise 3 times a year, but not this year. I got off of my last ship on March 8th. My next cruise will be January 2021.  

You hope it will be January 2021,but it may very well be much later.