Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?

ilikeanswers

Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has the pandemic made you rethink how you cruise?

• Yes there are things I would do differently
    • No I will cruise exactly as I did pre COVID 19

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't think that we have to worry about being trapped at sea for weeks because no port will allow the ship to dock.

When the cruises start again, I'm sure that they must have a plan where they shall dock if they have an outbreak on the ship. In the beginning of the pandemi lots of places had no infected but now when it's spread it's more likely to find a place to dock.   

And I think you're wrong. 

4 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

It's nice that you think that. Doesn't make it relevant or correct.

Ah, you picked up on that. I was making the point that that poster thought I was wrong. I didn't see any facts.

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't think that we have to worry about being trapped at sea for weeks because no port will allow the ship to dock.

When the cruises start again, I'm sure that they must have a plan where they shall dock if they have an outbreak on the ship. In the beginning of the pandemi lots of places had no infected but now when it's spread it's more likely to find a place to dock.   

Do you have any idea where that might be? Those first cruises are in the Caribbean. I don't see any of those countries having adequate medical facilities to handle a cruise ship docking with cases of the coronavirus.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Do you have any idea where that might be? Those first cruises are in the Caribbean. I don't see any of those countries having adequate medical facilities to handle a cruise ship docking with cases of the coronavirus.

Good point.  But sadly, I'm not sure adequate medical facilities is a major concern of the cruise lines if they need to off-board sick passengers.  

There's nothing I will do differently except maybe sanitize handles in my cabin on day 1.  I already wash my hands frequently and avoid people who are coughing. Someday, this virus won't be an issue.  In the mean time, I will continue to be responsible for my own health just like always.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have thought about it with my wife and we decided that if we will decide on going on a cruise at last, we will take all the safety measures and we will respect the policies. In any cse we didnt decide on it yet. We will see how the situation escalates 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If it's in the Caribbean my first guess would be Miami. Or maybe a military hospital from Europe on one of the European Islands, for example St. Maarten, but Miami feels more likely.

I really don't know how to handle it but I really don't think that there will be any cruises until the cruiselines know where to dock if something happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

Ah, you picked up on that. I was making the point that that poster thought I was wrong. I didn't see any facts.

I never said that you were wrong. I just said that I think they will have a plan before the cruises begin again. Maybe you are wrong or maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Good point.  But sadly, I'm not sure adequate medical facilities is a major concern of the cruise lines if they need to off-board sick passengers.  

It is however a major concern for the CDC. Also it would be another public relations disaster if there is a sick cruiser and the ship ends up not being able to dock anywhere.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It is however a major concern for the CDC. Also it would be another public relations disaster if there is a sick cruiser and the ship ends up not being able to dock anywhere.

Oops, sorry.  I was thinking of Caribbean ports.   Anyway, I sure agree.  I would think the last thing they want is another blackballed ship.  What a PR nightmare indeed.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oops, sorry.  I was thinking of Caribbean ports.   Anyway, I sure agree.  I would think the last thing they want is another blackballed ship.  What a PR nightmare indeed.    

I was referring to medical facilities and what to do in case of an outbreak as one of the major concerns of the CDC.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 4:38 AM, ontheweb said:

I was referring to medical facilities and what to do in case of an outbreak as one of the major concerns of the CDC.

I understand.  I was thinking they had no jurisdiction outside of the USA.  I don't think we are on the same page here.  But, it is all good, cause I don't have any disagreement over the point you made.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

I understand.  I was thinking they had no jurisdiction outside of the USA.  I don't think we are on the same page here.  But, it is all good, cause I don't have any disagreement over the point you made.  Cheers!

I thought that one of the mandates to restart from the CDC was for the medical facilities onboard to be much more prepared for an outbreak. But again, we are not really disagreeing about anything.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I thought that one of the mandates to restart from the CDC was for the medical facilities onboard to be much more prepared for an outbreak. But again, we are not really disagreeing about anything.

Aw, that I had not thought or heard of.   I hope you are right about a mandate for upgraded on-board med capability.  That makes a lot of sense to me.