SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

8 hours ago, cece50 said:

That takes me back to governments…..if this is such a plague then all travel should be prohibited but it’s not.

If our political leaders were vertebrates and not invertebrates and really cared for the citizens of their countries to do what really needs to be done:  mandates with serious penalties/or infringements on one's supposed "rights" if one does not comply with those mandates.  What this thread is telling us is that the failures to properly dealing with Covid lands in the laps of all of the governmental "leaders" since the virus first appeared.  

Cruise lines sailing cruises of such an extended duration with such a variety of ports as this thread is about have some culpability in wondering about the decision making that has led to the predicaments that this CC member and his wife has experienced.  

But, individual travelers have to decide what their risks are for traveling now.  The poster's experience ought to provide much "food for thought" as to what they might have to endure.  Is the trip worth it?  If so:  go for it!  But, in my opinion, don't be surprised if the trip goes "sour".  

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

That must be a huge money loser for SS. Surely it is time to cancel the rest of the cruise and get these poor people home ASAP.

Aside from the financial loss, and perhaps even aside from the ports missed, surely these passengers are not getting what they expected out of a long Silversea cruise with so few people onboard to meet, talk with, dance with, play trivia with, etc. A half-full ship feels glorious; a ship with only a few dozen passengers seems like it would feel eerie and disappointing. Unless one relishes a semi-private yacht without many others aboard. 

We were on a Seabourn cruise in October with 113 passengers aboard. Omicron hadn't reared it's ugly head yet, so things felt safe, happy and wonderful. But walking into the main dining room in the evening and seeing only two or three sections with people and the rest polished and beautiful but empty was a little jarring. But we had enough people that it didn't feel like a ghost ship. I think it the passengers had been reduce by half, it would have felt off.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

We were on a Seabourn cruise in October with 113 passengers aboard. Omicron hadn't reared it's ugly head yet, so things felt safe, happy and wonderful.

We were on Seabourn in mid-September with 80 people one week, and 120 the next, and loved it.  Neither voyage had a “ghost ship” feel to it because the staff and crew were in full-force.  If it was like what is happening now with Omicron (crew in quarantine, things getting cancelled left and right, general uncertainty) I don’t think I’d want to be onboard.  Omicron’s made it hard for even the best of lines like SS to deliver the experience people are expecting.  

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

But most Australians (some protesters notwithstanding) seem to like things the way they are, "doing everything to keep us safe" which includes travel bans in/out , even within different parts of the country, and with only gentle loosening lately in some areas.  Otherwise people  would probably have spoken up and have a radically new government with a new approach by now.   Fear of the unknown is a powerful motivating force.  I understand that and cannot say I have never been afraid during Covid. 

3 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Australia indicates that they are suffering massive covid spread with the omicron variant despite their high vaccination rates. Seems that the vaccines are not helping stop the spread, just keeping people from getting very sick.

Just a few minor points from an Australian.

For myself and others I know it is not the fear of getting Covid so much is worrying about overwhelming our hospital system so that people with other ailments requiring hospitalisation won't have the problems reported overseas to access care. It is also not wanting to overwhelm our health professionals. As a retired Registered Nurse I know how difficult it is just dealing with not too sick isolated patients and also ventilated/ICU patients. When you combine the two in large numbers I feel very sorry for all health professionals everywhere dealing with this.

No the vaccines are not stopping Omicron entirely but data is showing that the majority of cases in hospital proportionately are represented by the unvaccinated. Having the booster is certainly helping as well for those with auto-immune or other underlying health conditions. 

I think the concern is that opening up with no other preventative measures like mask wearing or restricting  large gatherings until after the surge has been proven in NSW not to be a wise thing.

We certainly want to travel and open up as I am hoping to cruise in the Med in July and my SIL in Seattle would love to be able to come and visit her elderly Mother. Which she should be able to in a few months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We are still paid up to go to Alaska in July. Surely restrictions will have eased by then?

Who knows?........I have a river cruise booked for July out of Paris and not sure if that will go----

And a b2b on the Dawn in April.......I REALLY have to wonder if they will keep those cruises on the books😮

The mood in Australia has changed. There are certainly some very vocal groups that want us to close our State borders again and go into lockdown but the vast majority are happy getting back to some normality in life. Certainly travel is not booming but that is not from a fear of covid but fear of the arbitrary testing and isolation requirements of many countries around the world.

The hospitals here are not overwhelmed by covid cases but by the number of staff going into quarantine because of close contact with a case.

We are now seeing some of our States coming to terms with covid 2022. I am working in Tasmania.I was here in 2020 during our first outbreak. 267 cases,30 in hospital, ~ 10 in ICU and 13 deaths.

In the last month Tasmania has opened it's borders to vaccinated visitors who had to test negative if from the 2 States with very large numbers of cases. In that month just short of 19000 cases, 25 in hospital,2 in ICU, none ventilated and no deaths. So from tomorrow any vaccinated Australian can enter without testing or quarantine. Unvaccinated need a test.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:05 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Is the Dawn still doing the Transatlantic this Spring ? I read that she is being chartered and her inaugural season starts in Lisbon.

Only the Moon and the Spirit will do the TA.

Can anyone verify?

Yes it has been cancelled. We have rebooked on QE to see the Northern Nights. Europe is a safer bet at the moment. Nightmare to find alternative arrangements at this late date😡. We couldn't do the alternative cruise on the 11th.

According to Silversea operations this morning the Dawn is still doing this cruise. Barbara Muckerman confirmed on Facebook that it’s canceled. I’m assuming it’s canceled, but I would really like to officially heard from Silversea what the options are. It’s less than two months until sailing, and I’d love to know when and where the cruise I paid for 18 months ago is going!

• Like 1

Well this was originally a March 2020 cruise, so technically we paid for it 2019. We know that there will be a cruise in March, but what ship, what dates, what destinations? Do I have to change hotels, flights, tours?  It’s not is it a question of governments keeping us from sailing, it’s a question of Silversea providing information. We’re fortunate that we can accommodate a change in dates, but I’d rather find out officially what’s going on, instead of a from a post on Facebook.

• Like 2

Planning a cruise right now just makes my head hurt.   Bless you all for sticking with it and trying to make it happen.  Luckily we literally got off the Wind just a couple of weeks before cruises got shut down.   We had some cruises in research and planning but hadn’t booked anything so we aren’t in the same situation as many of you.   I want to cruise badly but not just right now.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Planning a cruise right now just makes my head hurt.   Bless you all for sticking with it and trying to make it happen.  Luckily we literally got off the Wind just a couple of weeks before cruises got shut down.   We had some cruises in research and planning but hadn’t booked anything so we aren’t in the same situation as many of you.   I want to cruise badly but not just right now.

I agree. I'm reading the forums more than I used to but nothing shows that the situation is ready for me to return to cruising, or even leaving my own country. 

I am a worry-wart. The good part about cruising is you pay for the cruise upfront so my worry about "should I be spending this money?" is long over by the time of my trip. I worry until I'm through security at the airport, then, slowly I relax. Once on board, all is bliss.

That is not how things would be for me these days so I'm 'out' until the worst I have to worry about is weather delaying an already 2 day early flight to the port. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Carl😀 don't you mean Silver Whisper?😀 We did have fun😀

It is great you had fun on the ship, as always, but isn't that the one where you developed Covid a couple days after your return?  

Fortunately Covid these days, *for most who still dare to cruise*,  is asymptomatic or mild.  If we cruise long enough, I suspect we will all get it and I am hoping we get to a point where no one will care.

DH and I just finished an SS cruise still Covid-free on-board, where there were many precautions, but 19 pax/crew still got +.  However, after  our airport experiences in crowded Miami, you can bet we will be isolating and then self-testing in a few days, symptoms or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

It is great you had fun on the ship, as always, but isn't that the one where you developed Covid a couple days after your return?  

Fortunately Covid these days, *for most who still dare to cruise*,  is asymptomatic or mild.  If we cruise long enough, I suspect we will all get it and I am hoping we get to a point where no one will care.

DH and I just finished an SS cruise still Covid-free on-board, where there were many precautions, but 19 pax/crew still got +.  However, after  our airport experiences in crowded Miami, you can bet we will be isolating and then self-testing in a few days, symptoms or not.

Hi, you have me confused with someone else..........I have never gotten Covid (at home or on a ship).  I think it was CJ who contracted it after returning home.

Good morning Terry, not sure if this is the correct thread to post this on but looking at the SS website, they have an updated "Refund and Cancellation Policy"..........as of yesterday 1/19/22.  Here is a link:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19.html?cid_email=em_USA_EM2112084185_VS_OTHER_CON_DEM_LINK&IndividualId=18168223&utm_campaign=USA_EM2112084185_VS&utm_source=USA&utm_medium=Email&cid=94173&mid=242345224

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

In other news, Crystal are suspending operations whilst their parent, Genting Hong Kong, has filed for provisional liquidation in Bermuda.

It was hard to guess which line might go under first but I always thought if and when it happened it would be one of the smaller independent lines.   

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

In other news, Crystal are suspending operations whilst their parent, Genting Hong Kong, has filed for provisional liquidation in Bermuda.

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

It was hard to guess which line might go under first but I always thought if and when it happened it would be one of the smaller independent lines.   

I did a quick Internet search and it looks like Genting Hong Kong is filing for liquidation in a number of countries.  It’s a lot bigger than just Crystal Cruise Line potentially going under.  I suspect that Genting will off load Crystal so the line and ships may still exists but in name only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Terry, not sure if this is the correct thread to post this on but looking at the SS website, they have an updated "Refund and Cancellation Policy"..........as of yesterday 1/19/22.  Here is a link:

https://www.silversea.com/lp-refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19.html?cid_email=em_USA_EM2112084185_VS_OTHER_CON_DEM_LINK&IndividualId=18168223&utm_campaign=USA_EM2112084185_VS&utm_source=USA&utm_medium=Email&cid=94173&mid=242345224

This looks the same as the prior policy. Did I miss a change?

18 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

This looks the same as the prior policy. Did I miss a change?

Hi, not sure but the date is from yesterday so I thought it might be of interest.

30 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

I cannot see a difference. If you download the policy its still dated 1st Dec 2021

Agree. I cannot discern any changes to the guidelines published Dec 1, 2021. 

Edited by Fort_Worth
spelling
  • Like 1