New to Oceania, Tell All Please

Jimbo

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm curious what your wardrobe has to do with how long you're willing to travel. Seriously.

Pretty simple, I gain around a pound a day on a cruise. Anything over 30 days and my clothes don't fit. 

34 minutes ago, ORV said:

Funny how people are different. In my experience of talking to people on board many Oceania regulars won't even get on a plane for less than 10 days. I personally prefer somewhere between 14-30 days. Anything beyond that my wardrobe & health won't allow. 

I agree 

Not worth the flight  for under 14 days  😉

We have done 32 days    then i am ready to be home

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

Pretty simple, I gain around a pound a day on a cruise. Anything over 30 days and my clothes don't fit. 

L. O. L.  I had no idea that would be the answer. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Funny how people are different. In my experience of talking to people on board many Oceania regulars won't even get on a plane for less than 10 days. I personally prefer somewhere between 14-30 days. Anything beyond that my wardrobe & health won't allow.  

Except on rare occasions (e.g., a one week California shortie in part to hang out with Jancruz1), we prefer cruises of at least 3 to 5 weeks with different start/end ports that justify extra land stay at either/both end(s). And, ideally, there will be a nicely spaced mix of sea days in the itinerary.

In general, regardless of the itinerary length, we look at a 10 day stock of clothing and sea day laundry visits (though extreme weather differences or special conditions, e.g., snorkel gear can certainly add to the load of gear). Thank God for bizclass baggage weight allowances!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Except on rare occasions (e.g., a one week California shortie in part to hang out with Jancruz1), we prefer cruises of at least 3 to 5 weeks with different start/end ports that justify extra land stay at either/both end(s). And, ideally, there will be a nicely spaced mix of sea days in the itinerary.

In general, regardless of the itinerary length, we look at a 10 day stock of clothing and sea day laundry visits (though extreme weather differences or special conditions, e.g., snorkel gear can certainly add to the load of gear). Thank God for bizclass baggage weight allowances!

We consider 12 to 14 days as a minimum for a cruise, if we have a few days on either end to explore.  Our cruises are port intensive, so we never have time to get tired of the ship. Once in a while, we will do a quick 7-day getway, but only from the US.

The longest we have done up to now is a 21-day plus a one week safari.  This December, if it happens, we are booked on a 40daY BtoB Miami to Buenos Aires cruise followed by a 4 day trip to Iguazu Falls.  This is to prepare us for our 2022 Regent World Cruise.  As far as clothing, I have found that if I take two weeks worth of everything that covers a variety of different trips.  This includes outerwear and heavier clothing, where there are changes in climates along the way.  Having laundry and someone to do our laundry, DH or crew, makes this amount of clothing doable.  I have found that the longer the cruise,  the less the chance I gain weight because we are more active and the need to try everything on the menu goes away.  The main difference in packing for a longer trip are all the sundries that you need to take in larger quantities.

10 hours ago, tfred said:

we were just talking about Oceania today since we received a few brochures yesterday with all sorts of special pricing.  we liked it because of the above that I mentioned.  we also liked the small port aspect as well.  Port intensive cruises I think would be best. 

Bucket list is Baltic and I think that Oceania would be a good choice for that.  For 14 day TA Oceania would not be my choice

Our first cruise on an “O” ship was a Baltic cruise on Marina in early June 2011, less than two months from her maiden voyage, I believe.  It was fabulous; husband legaleaglegreen liked this “O” class ship so much that he has refused since to consider “R” ship itineraries.  Easy to read brochures if skipping all but Marina and Riviera itineraries!

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Our first cruise on an “O” ship was a Baltic cruise on Marina in early June 2011

Another interesting coincidence with you Pam.

Our first O cruise was also in the Baltic but on the Nautica in 2006.

At boarding I got very upset as they unexpectedly changed our cabin. At the time I didn't realize that it was actually an upgrade. We had specifically chosen one the from facing balcony cabins but were move to something like 8001(?) - which was actually the first PH near the front.

It was a great cruise and we were hooked on O ever since (although we do cruise other lines for itinerary).

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Another interesting coincidence with you Pam.

Our first O cruise was also in the Baltic but on the Nautica in 2006.

At boarding I got very upset as they unexpectedly changed our cabin. At the time I didn't realize that it was actually an upgrade. We had specifically chosen one the from facing balcony cabins but were move to something like 8001(?) - which was actually the first PH near the front.

It was a great cruise and we were hooked on O ever since (although we do cruise other lines for itinerary).

Nice cabin for your first Oceania cruise!  Quite a bit larger than our first one:

Our first cruise on Oceania, which also was our first cruise ever was on Nautica in September 2008, Istanbul to Athens.  (Spouse said we were too old to explore the Eastern Med by hopping ferries.) We knew so little about the cruise business (i.e., nothing whatsoever!) that we booked only just over two months before the sailing date, so booked a guaranteed “E”.  We simply lucked out that when we boarded, our assigned “E” was the first one starboard, 6033.  Those two most forward “E” cabins get full light blocked only by the davit in the middle holding the small Zodiac which hangs just below the window.  

We loved the location and hung out a lot in the gorgeous library or on the pool deck if not exploring our wonderful ports, spending time in the cabin basically only to shower, dress and sleep.  There is no couch; we immediately had them remove the small glass table so we would not fall over it!  We booked the same cabin for two more cruises until we sailed on Marina in 2011.  

Only two months since our last cruise, and I already am deep into reminiscing. It will be awhile before we board once again. 😢

Edited by CintiPam

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We all have to make the decision that is best fir us.

FWIW, if our November Nautica and January Regatta cruises happen, we intend to go.

This just popped into my old brain. What if there's a second 'wave' in the fall? Would that deter you? I know, no crystal ball but it really did just occur to me.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW, if our November Nautica and January Regatta cruises happen, we intend to go.

I sincerely hope that the long-anticipated Nautica refurbishment occurs before you board her in November.  We have received two glossy Oceania brochures this week with the new pricing deals, and it really stood out to me that the OceaniaNEXT sections in each omitted any mention of Nautica. I assume that is because Oceania does not yet know when it will occur due to shipyard closures.  I believe one of the threads on this board stated that the work had been scheduled to occur in France.

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

We have received two glossy Oceania brochures this week with the new pricing deals, and it really stood out to me that the OceaniaNEXT sections in each omitted any mention of Nautica. I assume that is because Oceania does not yet know when it will occur due to shipyard closures.  I believe one of the threads on this board stated that the work had been scheduled to occur in France.

CNDM shipyard in Marseille started back to work last week. Nautica has probably reached the Suez Canal area as of this writing. I really can't see much reason for her current  repositioning from Dubai (where she's been since we disembarked at the beginning of March) other than better location for its autumn itinerary AND, hopefully, keeping its NEXT update appointment on June 8-21.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You'll get no argument from me on this.

We each make decisions that we feel are best for ourselves - sometimes they turn out to be the right ones and and other times we wish for a 20/20 hindsight.

All the best for your cruises.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:28 AM, Paulchili said:

Not doubting your abilities but isn't this the perfect time to use a pro before it becomes impossible to recover? 🙂

Not the best picture to show the balcony, we've been in those twice, but you can see the slope and how much further it goes out than the one above it. The second picture shows the most important thing about having an aft balcony, the view. More importantly I did manage to recover all my pictures, now I'll do multiple backups. 

DSC07681.JPG

DSC07710.JPG

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ORV said:

Not the best picture to show the balcony, we've been in those twice, but you can see the slope and how much further it goes out than the one above it. The second picture shows the most important thing about having an aft balcony, the view. More importantly I did manage to recover all my pictures, now I'll do multiple backups. 

Great job - congrats!

How far will you travel should I need a computer "geek" and what are your fees?

😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Great job - congrats!

How far will you travel should I need a computer "geek" and what are your fees?

😀

I just got lucky. I would recommend the program Stellar Data Recovery. It took days though to scan and then recover. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I just got lucky. I would recommend the program Stellar Data Recovery. It took days though to scan and then recover. 

Good tip - thanks.

I hope I"ll never need it. 🙂

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

great job  ORV

I hate  when  I lose  my photos  even if they bore others   I like to  revisit places we have been with my photos

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I like to  revisit places we have been with my photos

I find that I have started doing that more and more these past few weeks.  I also enjoy the iPhone “Memories” feature because normally I always travel in May (my favorite travel month weatherwise.). So I have had a plethora of past  photos teed up for my viewing pleasure! 

On a somewhat related matter - I have a ton of pictures on my desktop & expansion drive in my study.

Would prefer to watch them on my large TV in family room. Cannot find a device that would connect the 2 rooms as they are not next to each other. This could be done from a laptop in the same room (shorter distance) but I don't have one (only iPad).

Apple TV would do it but it would lose the filing system of my PC that puts pictures into individual folders named after the trips. Apple TV would show them by date or location.

Any advice?

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

On a somewhat related matter - I have a ton of pictures on my desktop & expansion drive in my study.

Would prefer to watch them on my large TV in family room. Cannot find a device that would connect the 2 rooms as they are not next to each other. This could be done from a laptop in the same room (shorter distance) but I don't have one (only iPad).

Apple TV would do it but it would lose the filing system of my PC that puts pictures into individual folders named after the trips. Apple TV would show them by date or location.

Any advice?

I have connected my netbook to the TV  to do a slide show  for  guests if they ask to see the photos

I think DH just used the HDMI cables   I will ask him

Make sure you turn off the screensaver or timer on the laptop

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Make sure you turn off the screensaver or timer on the laptop

Thanks Lyn. That’s the problem - I don’t have a laptop, only an iPad (no HDMI connection there).

Unless I can connect my expansion drive directly to my TV with USB?