New to Oceania, Tell All Please

Jimbo

3 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

Thanks ,but for  the Meditterean is a side view not better, thanks so much.

One nice thing about a side balcony is that they're completely covered, which is nice on a rainy day or when the sun is directly overhead or on your side of the ship, whereas the aft-facing cabins are not covered.

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

One nice thing about a side balcony is that they're completely covered, which is nice on a rainy day or when the sun is directly overhead or on your side of the ship, whereas the aft-facing cabins are not covered.

Thanks Ken.

33 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

Thanks ,but for  the Meditterean is a side view not better, thanks so much.

we usually go up on deck so we can see  the view from any angle

YMMV

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Ken, that's a pretty sweeping statement, many aft facing balconies do have cover in the shade. I think it varies ship to ship and frequently deck to deck. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Ken, that's a pretty sweeping statement, many aft facing balconies do have cover in the shade. I think it varies ship to ship and frequently deck to deck. 

Orv, which R class ships have fully covered A category balconies? We’ve only booked those on deck 7 on the Sirena and Nautica and I wasn’t aware there were any on the O class ships. If there are some, that would definitely be another plus for booking an A category aft-facing cabins. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Orv, which R class ships have fully covered A category balconies? We’ve only booked those on deck 7 on the Sirena and Nautica and I wasn’t aware there were any on the O class ships. If there are some, that would definitely be another plus for booking an A category aft-facing cabins. 

Two points, not talking about "fully covered" or just "A Category" Also not talking about just Oceania ships. 

O ships definitely have aft balconies. Owner's Suites, Oceania, PH, I'd have to look at a deck plan to see if any others. We were in an Aft on Regatta, 6093 and about 1/2 was covered and about 1/2 was in the sun. I'd post a picture but I've managed to lose a backup drive with all my photos from the past 10 years on it, which I'm sick about. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

YES

Thanks so much.  are there any other special things that a butler can do for us that we should know about?  We have not sailed in a penthouse suite in a number of years and I have forgotten.  We are pretty low maintenance but it still helps to know.

1 minute ago, Ladys Mom said:

Thanks so much.  are there any other special things that a butler can do for us that we should know about?  We have not sailed in a penthouse suite in a number of years and I have forgotten.  We are pretty low maintenance but it still helps to know.

Never used  a butler  but I am sure  if you ask them   they will tell you what is not possible

I have heard  they will unpack/pack for you  run a bath  do not think  they scrub your back though 😉

make reservations in the Specialties

15 minutes ago, ORV said:

Two points, not talking about "fully covered" or just "A Category" Also not talking about just Oceania ships. 

O ships definitely have aft balconies. Owner's Suites, Oceania, PH, I'd have to look at a deck plan to see if any others. We were in an Aft on Regatta, 6093 and about 1/2 was covered and about 1/2 was in the sun. I'd post a picture but I've managed to lose a backup drive with all my photos from the past 10 years on it, which I'm sick about. 

OH NO  ORV

DH put ours on a DVD   plus I have  many on smugmug site

I am sure Ken is aware of the slope  of the back of the ship  & would know the higher decks will have less deck space

I am sure  using the search feature  here he could find some photos  😉

I thought I was safe using a back up, but when the back crashes and you don't have them anywhere else that's an issue. I'm using some recovery software but still having issues. 

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

I thought I was safe using a back up, but when the back crashes and you don't have them anywhere else that's an issue. I'm using some recovery software but still having issues. 

Not doubting your abilities but isn't this the perfect time to use a pro before it becomes impossible to recover? 🙂

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yes  that  is why DH put  them  DVD  as well has an external back up hard drive

Good luck  with the recovery process

Lyn

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Not doubting your abilities but isn't this the perfect time to use a pro before it becomes impossible to recover? 🙂

I'm sure you have a point. It is quite expensive though. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  that  is why DH put  them  DVD  as well has an external back up hard drive

Good luck  with the recovery process

Lyn

As long as we're OT 🙂 I store things like this on the cloud. Is THAT safe?

On 5/2/2020 at 8:50 PM, Jimbo said:

Mostly Cruise on RCL so not up on any Oceania Cruises.Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this cruiseline.

Cruise I'm looking at is on Regatta, September 2021 leaving from Vancouver ending in LA, California. 12 nights.

Looking at a A1 Concierge Level Verandah

Okay now that's more info, coming from  the East Coast.............so I gave you more info...........so now what would be included as far as O-Life, with Air from PHL

if you are still around..

we have sailed on RCCL, X and Oceania (and a few others). 

Oceania.  

Food is a giant notch above anything you ever had on RCCL brands - even the MDR.  Specialty restaurants are fantastic.  If you are a foodie, this is the place.  Older crowd than RCCL and X.  Moneyed and slightly more sedate.  Entertainment is chamber music with a functional nightly show of some sorts.  Plenty of room to sit by the pool, the ship never feels crowded

would I cruise them again?  Yes, but with a few caveats.  Nothing longer than 10 days.  There are on board activities (cooking classes, art class) but there just isn't enough activity throughout the day.  Want to sit by the pool with great food and drinks, then you are ok.  Decor is a little too glitzy for my taste, although they have done a refit so that may change the view

15 hours ago, tfred said:

if you are still around..

we have sailed on RCCL, X and Oceania (and a few others). 

Oceania.  

Food is a giant notch above anything you ever had on RCCL brands - even the MDR.  Specialty restaurants are fantastic.  If you are a foodie, this is the place.  Older crowd than RCCL and X.  Moneyed and slightly more sedate.  Entertainment is chamber music with a functional nightly show of some sorts.  Plenty of room to sit by the pool, the ship never feels crowded

would I cruise them again?  Yes, but with a few caveats.  Nothing longer than 10 days.  There are on board activities (cooking classes, art class) but there just isn't enough activity throughout the day.  Want to sit by the pool with great food and drinks, then you are ok.  Decor is a little too glitzy for my taste, although they have done a refit so that may change the view

Funny how people are different. In my experience of talking to people on board many Oceania regulars won't even get on a plane for less than 10 days. I personally prefer somewhere between 14-30 days. Anything beyond that my wardrobe & health won't allow. 

The important part is that it works for you. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Funny how people are different. In my experience of talking to people on board many Oceania regulars won't even get on a plane for less than 10 days. I personally prefer somewhere between 14-30 days. Anything beyond that my wardrobe & health won't allow. 

The important part is that it works for you. 

we were just talking about Oceania today since we received a few brochures yesterday with all sorts of special pricing.  we liked it because of the above that I mentioned.  we also liked the small port aspect as well.  Port intensive cruises I think would be best. 

Bucket list is Baltic and I think that Oceania would be a good choice for that.  For 14 day TA Oceania would not be my choice

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

I personally prefer somewhere between 14-30 days. Anything beyond that my wardrobe & health won't allow. 

I'm curious what your wardrobe has to do with how long you're willing to travel. Seriously.