New to Oceania, Tell All Please

Jimbo

On 5/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, ORV said:

Pretty simple, I gain  around a pound a day on a cruise. Anything over 30 days and my clothes don't fit. 

Well  cheer up..... there is a solution ...... it's called HAL.....  I took a 28 day  and the food was so "good"  I lost 6 lbs....... Rudy  their chef de cuisine  is also  an associate of waffel house  and Cracker Barrel .......  they have Haunt   not Haute cuisine.  Below is the best food I found  in  the trip....... MMMMMMM

503.JPG

On 5/20/2020 at 9:41 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Except on rare occasions (e.g., a one week California shortie in part to hang out with Jancruz1), we prefer cruises of at least 3 to 5 weeks with different start/end ports that justify extra land stay at either/both end(s). And, ideally, there will be a nicely spaced mix of sea days in the itinerary.

In general, regardless of the itinerary length, we look at a 10 day stock of clothing and sea day laundry visits (though extreme weather differences or special conditions, e.g., snorkel gear can certainly add to the load of gear). Thank God for bizclass baggage weight allowances!

Got it down to 6 days  one med rolly... and send out for laundry   26 days the limit   21 ideal  less than 14 a waste more than 28  an endurance.... Clothes?.need something more... they have stores where we go....   Business class  bags good  O's laundry inclusive and free Laundromat even better  every 5 days sent out a load...

On my first cruise of 62 days  I had 3 changes and it worked fine.... and I got paid too.  Remember years ago they had skeet shooting on ships....  We got to shoot at trains and sampans.... 

0553002.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 3

having never have been on Oceania how long does it normally take to get off the Riveria and get to the Miami airport? What would be the earliest flight you would get? It says the debarking starts at 8am. Is that normally accurate?Thanks for your help.

We are on the 111-13 20 Caribbean cruise.

Rick & Harriet

6 minutes ago, quartetman said:

having never have been on Oceania how long does it normally take to get off the Riveria and get to the Miami airport? What would be the earliest flight you would get? It says the debarking starts at 8am. Is that normally accurate?Thanks for your help.

We are on the 111-13 20 Caribbean cruise.

Rick & Harriet

If the ship is ontime  & everything goes well  you should off the ship by 9-9:30 am at the latest

Trip to MIA is about 15-25 mins depending on traffic

We book flights after 12 noon  but  we fly A/C  & it is  not that long to get through security

We did  AA once  & it took 1 hr just to get through security then the hike to the gate was long

Glad we had a 2pm  flight that day

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 12:08 AM, alcpa1 said:

Concierge Class has its perks. The early boarding isn't worth much but it's available.

Would you mind expanding on this please?  We like to board as soon as possible.  Wondering why this "isn't worth much".  Thank you!

In the past, we have no current idea what will happen in the future with the new protocols, Oceania started general boarding at 11:00 regardless of the time on your documents. So even though the stated time for Concierge guests was before lower cabins, in most ports they all boarded together.

With the new embarkment protocols, this may well change in the future, and for those liking early boarding it may have value.

We don’t embark early. 2:30-3:30 works fine for us. Sightseeing and a nice relaxing lunch of fresh local produce always tops the mayhem of another meal from the buffet on embarkment day. We’ll have plenty of opportunities for that later.

24 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Would you mind expanding on this please?  We like to board as soon as possible.  Wondering why this "isn't worth much".  Thank you!

It the past  Suites were allowed to board at 11 am

Concierge at 12   then the others at 1 pm

But many people showed up as early as 9-10 am & the terminal building was a hot mess

You end up sitting  in the terminal if you can find a seat  or in the line up to check in

We usually go about 1:30 to 2pm  & walk right on

Cabins are not ready  until at least 1 pm so no need to rush  & fight the crowds in the buffet  IMO

We usually eat lunch ashore then head to the port

YMMV

• Like 1

Usually when you book (especially when you got to the Order page) it will tell you everything there concerning both the price and what is included in it. Usually, food is always indicated in there. If you have doubts its better to cal them and find out about this particular deal or option or offer 

46 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

A few other perks for concierge include a concierge lounge on Marina and Riviera (not on the smaller R ships).  Also, the room service menu has hot breakfast items that are not available to veranda and below (B thru G).  3 Bags of laundry, complimentary champagne, and a few other niceties.  Details in the link below.  Concierge and veranda staterooms are the exact square footage no matter which ship size you sail (O or R class).  So you alone can decide if the perks are worth the fare difference.  Either way, enjoy the cruise!

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/concierge-level-veranda-stateroom/

Katie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KatieBelle said:

A few other perks for concierge include a concierge lounge on Marina and Riviera (not on the smaller R ships).  Also, the room service menu has hot breakfast items that are not available to veranda and below (B thru G).  3 Bags of laundry, complimentary champagne, and a few other niceties.  Details in the link below.  Concierge and veranda staterooms are the exact square footage no matter which ship size you sail (O or R class).  So you alone can decide if the perks are worth the fare difference.  Either way, enjoy the cruise!

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/concierge-level-veranda-stateroom/

Katie

The lack of hot items on the breakfast room service for all cabins below Concierge is a good thing to point out for those new to Oceania. Those from other lines are usually amazed at that lack of inclusion. 

Concerning boarding time. The last cruise we went on in Dec out of Miami did have a group of people that was having to wait in the terminal to check in. Usually I've noticed Oceania doesn't make people wait if they're not busy. 

A new perk in the Oceania club since the changes is if you are Platinum or higher you have Priority Terminal embarkation. Just go whenever you want, it doesn't matter what category room you're in. Now if only they would give those with that designation early cabin access, then it would be a great perk. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

Now if only they would give those with that designation early cabin access, then it would be a great perk. 

Agree but probably too disruptive and complicated for the staff jumping all around on each deck?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 6:04 AM, pinotlover said:

We don’t embark early. 2:30-3:30 works fine for us. Sightseeing and a nice relaxing lunch of fresh local produce always tops the mayhem of another meal from the buffet on embarkment day. We’ll have plenty of opportunities for that later.

That's us 100%. But we're very port oriented so I'm sure that's it.

9 hours ago, clo said:

Curious why.

Well to date, most of our cruising experiences have been on seven night itineraries and sometimes less.  Back in November we were able to get away on our first 9 night itinerary to the ABC's on Celebrity.  That was a real treat!  I guess that since vacation time is so limited due to DH's work, I just get excited and anxious to start, hence, boarding as early as possible.  One of my most favorite things to do after embarking at 11:30 or so, it having a leisurely lunch in the MDR (when most people are crowding the buffets) and toasting our vacation with a glass of wine.

We recently booked our first Oceania cruise for March 2021.  It's for 10 nights..our longest yet!  Maybe our embarkation habits will change on longer itineraries?  I don't know...or maybe the industry will change them for us with new protocols.  Time will tell.  Either way, it's exciting to have a cruise on the books again.  Here's hoping everyone is able to get back soon!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I just get excited and anxious to start, hence, boarding as early as possible.  One of my most favorite things to do after embarking at 11:30 or so, it having a leisurely lunch in the MDR (when most people are crowding the buffets) and toasting our vacation with a glass of wine.

Well you will be disappoint on O  as the GDR is not open at lunch on embarkation day

& the Terrace/Waves is  a zoo

Find a nice restaurant  have a nice lunch then head to the port about 2 pm

JMO

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well you will be disappoint on O  as the GDR is not open at lunch on embarkation day

Find a nice restaurant  have a nice lunch then head to the port about 2 pm

JMO

Ahh, very good to know.  Thank you.  On NCL the MDR is open for lunch.  I assumed O would be similar.  So the only dining venue on Oceania that is open on embarkation day for lunch is buffet style?

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ahh, very good to know.  Thank you.  On NCL the MDR is open for lunch.  I assumed O would be similar.  So the only dining venue on Oceania that is open on embarkation day for lunch is buffet style?

Yes

The Terrace   & Waves (burger bar)  & Barristas

We usually eat ashore then head to the port  after 1 pm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

True - they can get busy but nobody goes hungry. They always carve a turkey & roast beef (?) in the Terrace on embarkation.

Since boarding is staggered, so is lunch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

True - they can get busy but nobody goes hungry. They always carve a turkey & roast beef (?) in the Terrace on embarkation.

+1

-and Waves may be a burger bar but it is a fabulous burger bar.

Their Lobster/Filet Mignon Surf and Turf is legendary!  🍽️

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

And perhaps most importantly, the Terrace Café is NOT a buffet. There is no self service but there is a la minute cooking, full bar service and al fresco dining including menu items that are on the daily GDR menus.

And FWIW for folks new to Oceania, things like the specialty restaurants (which are no extra cost) and the GDR and Terrace ALL have excellent food. The only difference is menu focus and dining ambiance.

BTW, depending on how many folks are continuing on a multi-segment itinerary, the GDR  may be open to those passengers on changeover day (embarkation) by RSVP invitation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I find many will sit  at the table long after they have eaten  so it is still  a bit of  a madhouse plus the carry ons  stuck everywhere  for people to trip over

I like to enjoy  a nice quiet  meal 😉

It is  a personal choice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

+1

lots of time to enjoy  those on another day 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So the only dining venue on Oceania that is open on embarkation day for lunch is buffet style?

FWIW Waves is not a buffet.  Place your order and go to your table with a number.  You will be served your made-to-order burger/sandwich and drinks.  If we board early, we stay out of the Terrace Cafe.  And StanandJim are right.  Burgers and sandwiches have nothing to do with drive-thru quality.  My fav is the Ruben, but I order a half sandwich.  Of course DH goes for the surf & turf on ciabatta.  

Katie

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We usually eat ashore then head to the port  after 1 pm

We really, really liked the O food but, IMO, a great restaurant onshore is probably always going to be better than a ship's main dining room.

9 hours ago, StanandJim said:

+1

And my adjustment to that Waves Grill (open daily until 4 pm) fabulous Surf and Turf, is: double lobster, no steak, no bun.  Just wonderful grilled lobster with no shell with which to hassle, dipping sauce, and truffle fries.  Yum!  

• Like 1