Denied boarding

erllje

Has anyone that was denied boarding once you arrived at the port city filed a claim with insurance for refund of flight and hotel. If you have, could you let me know where it stands and if you have heard back from them. No offense but I would appreciate if only those denied boarding response to this post.

Denied boarding for what reason?  You've given us very little information. If denied boarding for lack of proper travel documentation, PVSA, or missing the check-in cut off that's entirely the passenger's fault.  If denied boarding by the cruise line or local authorities due to COVID-19 that's something else.  Please elaborate.

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, erllje said:

Has anyone that was denied boarding once you arrived at the port city filed a claim with insurance for refund of flight and hotel. If you have, could you let me know where it stands and if you have heard back from them. No offense but I would appreciate if only those denied boarding response to this post.

Hi

Why should I take offence, if you don't want to hear from me, after all, I know nothing about you. I wouldn't hold it against you. 

Some of those people who may not have the answer that you are looking for, may have ideas that could help you.

I do agree with BlueRiband that you have to be specific about the situation otherwise how would one know if it was a similar circumstance. I don't know if you have already read your contract, but they are very specific about what you are covered for as well as what you are not covered for. There is nothing we can say that will change what is written in your contract, and I would imagine that you understand that they are all different.

sorry if this doesn't help

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Denied boarding for what reason?  You've given us very little information. If denied boarding for lack of proper travel documentation, PVSA, or missing the check-in cut off that's entirely the passenger's fault.  If denied boarding by the cruise line or local authorities due to COVID-19 that's something else.  Please elaborate.

We were denied boarding after we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We flew to Singapore on January 30th for a Celebrity Cruise leaving February 1st, on January 31 we received an email saying anyone who transited through Hong Kong would be denied boarding. We purchased this trip as a package and our TA said since we used the air we would not be reimbursed for that or our hotels. Were talking almost $2500 that we thing Celebrity should give us back. We did get a full refund plus a 50% FCC. We have filed a claim with insurance for interruption but not heard anything yet.

1 hour ago, erllje said:

We were denied boarding after we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We flew to Singapore on January 30th for a Celebrity Cruise leaving February 1st, on January 31 we received an email saying anyone who transited through Hong Kong would be denied boarding. We purchased this trip as a package and our TA said since we used the air we would not be reimbursed for that or our hotels. Were talking almost $2500 that we thing Celebrity should give us back. We did get a full refund plus a 50% FCC. We have filed a claim with insurance for interruption but not heard anything yet.

I remember you posting about this earlier.  

Edited by Shmoo here

10 hours ago, erllje said:

Well I hope you won't take offense as I was not one who was denied boarding, but would like to offer information that hopefully you will find helpful.

Regarding the air fare, a lot may depend on how that was purchased.  I realize you say you had a package through a TA, but that does not necessarily mean all of your travel components were booked through Celebrity.  If the air was placed directly through the airlines, then your issue would be with them, not Celebrity, and you would have to contact them for any consideration of reimbursement.  If it was  purchased through Celebrity Air2Sea, then your discussions would be with them.

It also depends on what kind of travel insurance you had and whether that was through an independent company or Celebrity, for which the same suggestion of who ultimately to contact would apply.  It is complicated by the fact you did use at least a portion of the total trip package prior to the cruise portion cancellation. Perhaps some form of reimbursement for any additional expense you may have incurred getting back home due to the cancellation would be considered.

But since yo booked through a TA, they would be the ones to facilitate your requests and advocate with Celebrity on your behalf if applicable. Unfortunately I don't have any input as to the likely outcome given your circumstances, but again, am am only offering this as possible assistance for your next steps.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

My mother told me never to answer questions from a stranger if they do not tell you why they are asking for the information.  I am following her rule here.  Sounds as if you are working for a lawyer who is trying to get information for a suit that you've filed.

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

My mother told me never to answer questions from a stranger if they do not tell you why they are asking for the information.  I am following her rule here.  Sounds as if you are working for a lawyer who is trying to get information for a suit that you've filed.

DON

I think he is genuine, however as I don't know, I may have offended him.

A quick check gives us more info, if its the same cruise?

erllje

• Cool Cruiser
  • July 9, 2015
  •  
  • 22 posts
  • cincinnati,ohio

Unfortunately my DW and two friends were denied boarding on the Millennium on February 1 in Singapore because we had a 1 hour layover in Hong Kong. We never changed planes or seats but were required to exit and go though security. It’s seems to me if you are going to try and contain this virus you would  just keep people in place. 
My question is why doesn’t Celebrity have a 24 hour emergency phone number, what about older folks without internet access. I emailed my TA as soon as I saw the email from Celebrity and she knew nothing about it, and when there is a 13 hour time difference it’s hard to get a quick answer. So after more than 24 hours of travel to get to Singapore arriving at 2:00 PM on Thursday and flying back home less than 48 hours later with 4 flights and 34 hours later getting home. On top of this they put us back though Hong Kong where we didn’t change planes again but made up get off and this time took our temperature and back though security and back on the plane.

People are saying it takes time to change itineraries, well it takes us longer to get ready and get there then it takes then to change itineraries. I do have insurance but I feel X should give a little more than a refund just for goodwill. How many people are going to spend over 58 hours to go to Singapore for 2 days. 
My only other pet peeve is Singapore had more confirmed cases than Hong Kong at the time. 

• Thanks 1

I have the same question I had the first time the OP posted this question back in Feb. Why would anyone (cruise line or insurance company) issue a refund for a plane trip that was taken, and a hotel that was stayed in?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Filing a claim with under a travel insurance policy is dependent on the type of policy, the coverage purchased and whether or not the insurance company had suspended coverage for Coronavirus related claims.  

If the OP wants to share the details of their travel insurance then maybe someone with the same policy can assist them.  

8 hours ago, mom says said:

I have the same question I had the first time the OP posted this question back in Feb. Why would anyone (cruise line or insurance company) issue a refund for a plane trip that was taken, and a hotel that was stayed in?

I believe there exists an option that covers just this, that certain airlines recognize. I think the actual terminology is “trip in vain”. 

As far as I know it applies in circumstances where a trip has been disrupted and there is no point in actually completing it. It would typically apply where for example a person was delayed en route and they were unable to complete the purpose of their journey; ie, missed meeting, etc. The airline would then return the passenger to their point of origin. 

• Like 1

Have you considered posting this, with complete details, on the Insurance forum here on CC?

I do recommend that you read a few postings about possible 'similar' situations on that forum so you will have an idea as to what 'details' you need to include before posting.

Good luck and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

The biggest question is who did you buy insurance from and what does it cover.  Often insurance bought through a cruise line only begins coverage the day your cruise begins.  If this is the case, unfortunately you are probably out of luck.

If you purchased a comprehensive policy through an independent vendor, have you filed a claim with them?  There is a possibility that this could fall under trip interruption due to quarantine.

Edited by ducklite
  • Thanks 1